• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Stuck Clean Out Port “NOT Seized”

Excellent additions to your symptoms ?

So when you said it's not either of those things, I think you were referring to not having the plug oriented wrong, nor cross threaded. Am I correct on that?

I have an older 21', so I don't have anything to do a direct comparison on, I'm going on similar issues I've noticed.

The cleanout plug tube is a rubber sleeve that connects to the bottom of the boat, and to the underside of the cleanout tray. The tube has clamps that keep the tube in place, and on my boat, if those clamps are too tight, it ovals the tube, and feels like the symptoms you describe, if it's happening at the base of the tube.

The cavitation points to the plug not being seated correctly, and would also explain the difficulty in getting the plug out, but it doesn't jive with it being easy to turn. That makes me think there's something wrong with the fitting that the plug screws into, or the plug itself having an issue.

Good clear pics, both close up, and from a slight distance, will be super helpful in trying to track down the issue, as well as video. Take a flashlight along to help with lighting, it may be better than relying on your phone's flash.

I'm also wondering if the tube may not be sealed properly, since you said this became evident after running the boat. I'm wondering if that turtle may have sliced the rubber tube with the shell, and the rubber is catching the tabs when the plug is turned. That would be a little more work to determine, but not too difficult to rectify if that turns out to be the issue.

Once this is solved, I think it'll address the other concerns you have, as this all sounds/seems related. You got this!

So update on the acceleration. We had a string of 85 degree days and I decided to run the boat and grab some vitamin D. The acceleration seemed much better with just me and a full tank of gas. I’ve heard water temp plays a role in that (the water temp is very cold). I was pleased in that regard but I will still check for any damage from the turtle incident. I forgot to take a video but I’m going to pull her out today and will upload pics/video of the plug situation.
I did want to add that the plug had been getting stuck prior to murdering the turtle so I believe these two situations are unrelated. Thanks to everyone chiming in with there knowledge / experience!

I stole this picture from another member here. Posting this so you can see the pin locations

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230224_115857_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230224_115857_Samsung Internet.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 27
I stole this picture from another member here. Posting this so you can see the pin locations

Hey! I'm that lowlife member, stop stealing my pics! Lol ?

Whenever I refer to "tabs", those little rectangles are what I mean, as they don't move like the actual "pins" do on the older plugs

Somewhere around here is my complete breakdown of the newer style of plug. Might have to start adding stuff to my signature like @Julian and others have done

Ok so Just wanted to update so I could pass along some information to anyone else this might have happened to. Figured out the stuck plug. Soooo I assume this was bad "building" by Yamaha but the issue was the lower stainless steel clamp. It was set far too high up on the rubber hose (running from the fiberglass down to the port mount). This cause the hose to deform (im assuming over time) just enough to catch the metal fin on the plug itself when pulling it out which then caused the plug to go cattywampus and become stuck. And by stuck i mean stuck. Hulk Hogan on roids could not get that plug out. Anyways I moved the stainless steel clamp down where it belongs and it appeared to help the situation. It still wants to grab because the hose is still deformed (very slightly) but i'm going to see how it goes over time. I may need to end up replacing the hose if this doesn't end up fixing the issue. I don't know why this problem is intermittent and seems to be dependent on running the boat but it is. I will update after running the boat. I did intend to take pictures but I was short on time and patience lol. Anyways hope this saves someone else some head-ache.

Thanks to everyone who provided assistance and advice!!! It was much appreciated.....Now bring on Summer!!!

I wonder if the cleanout port tube has taken a "set" in the area where the clamp was? Perhaps removing it from the boat and heating it up with a heat gun could help it back into round.

Alternatively, rotating it so that the area deformed by the clamp would sit in the 11 o'clock position might be another workaround to avoid catching the tabs

I wonder if the cleanout port tube has taken a "set" in the area where the clamp was? Perhaps removing it from the boat and heating it up with a heat gun could help it back into round.

Alternatively, rotating it so that the area deformed by the clamp would sit in the 11 o'clock position might be another workaround to avoid catching the tabs

Yes it definitely would help if i removed the tube and rotated it 180 degrees. Its deformed at the exact location where the metal fin on the plug needs to clear to come out. When I say deformed it is not very much. Just enough to cause the fin to hang. I would have shifted it when I was in there the last time but the tube did not seem to want to come loose. It appeared to be siliconed in to place and I really didn't want to break that seal as I wasn't sure if i needed to reapply silicone when resetting.

Yes it definitely would help if i removed the tube and rotated it 180 degrees. Its deformed at the exact location where the metal fin on the plug needs to clear to come out. When I say deformed it is not very much. Just enough to cause the fin to hang. I would have shifted it when I was in there the last time but the tube did not seem to want to come loose. It appeared to be siliconed in to place and I really didn't want to break that seal as I wasn't sure if i needed to reapply silicone when resetting.

It's definitely siliconed in place, and according to the service manual, it should have silicone top AND bottom. The flange on the underside of the cleanout port tray should have silicone applied around it prior to sliding it back on and securing the band clamp.

I'm guessing the lower section is really smeared full of silicone, and may require a hose pick, like you'd use for a stuck radiator hose, to break that seal on the lower.

If there's some way to seal the tube on the bottom, you could try pouring some boiling or close-to-boiling water down there to try to get it to revert back to round, or bursts of a heat gun down the tube - just throwing out ideas that won't require removing the tube

It's definitely siliconed in place, and according to the service manual, it should have silicone top AND bottom. The flange on the underside of the cleanout port tray should have silicone applied around it prior to sliding it back on and securing the band clamp.

I'm guessing the lower section is really smeared full of silicone, and may require a hose pick, like you'd use for a stuck radiator hose, to break that seal on the lower.

If there's some way to seal the tube on the bottom, you could try pouring some boiling or close-to-boiling water down there to try to get it to revert back to round, or bursts of a heat gun down the tube - just throwing out ideas that won't require removing the tube

Yes there is a very liberal amount of silicone on the lower end! I'll try the heat gun before replacement or removal. I'm about to run the boat today as the weather will be 90!!! I'm curious to see if the problem persist or not.

Super appreciate this post! I just had the same thing happen. If the band clamp screw had been one more inch over, I would of been taking out the whole cover. That would been a bitch, I have had it out once before for 3 stripped screws, and I didn't spare the silicon when I put it back .

Back