• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surf setup 2015 242LS

Dulaneyjared

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I must say your wave looks pretty insanely good!
Have you by any chance played with the steering nozzles adjustments? - to point those closer together, along the Yamaha new gimmicky SurfPoint (or whatever they call it).

--
No, I read on the forum about how results from that didn’t really seem to wow. A bunch of great stuff you have tried too btw. Thanks for that. Was real interested in your tab exsperiments. The overall consensus I took from those with good waves was push the boat down displace water and have something to clean up the jet wash. I know my flap is diff than all I’ve seen but also I have much more counter balance weight than those I’ve read about. I have 800lbs on the non-surf side. I know initially I didn’t want to carry 2800 pounds but I figured for the test fill em all up and give her hell! 11-12 mph @ 6100rpms.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Makes me want to try and 60/40 split of ballast now.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My setup is getting close, so sharing the stoke with you guys freezing up north.

Been dialing-in the 242LS for last couple months and pleased with how things are shaping up. My groundrules on this stuff are: 1) keep it simple and reasonable, and 2) must work on both goofy and regular sides. Here is where we stand so far:

- Perfect Pass w/ gage mounted in the custom console sold on this website
- 800# sack under back seat (surf side)
- 500# lead on back platform (stacked on surf side)
- 400# sack on floor in front of engine hatch (centered, do not use this if we have other passengers)
- simple rubber mudflap to cleanup prop wash (60" x 14" peice of horse stall mat ...)

Relatively modest 1700# of ballast, easy to switch side-to-side (we are a mixed-marriage, so this is critical to domestic content). All-in-all, pretty solid wave, especially given our shallow water in FL Keys (pic is in 7' of water at 10 mph).

Ride on !!!
@COtoFLsurf what lead are you using?

COtoFLsurf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Scuba_ref, I bought 25# bags of reclaimed shot from www.rotometals.com, put them in a gallon-size ziploc freezer bag to avoid lead exposure, then stuffed them into lead shot carrying bags made by Caldwell. Has worked out very well.

https://www.rotometals.com/reclaimed-lead-shot-1-bag-25-pounds/
https://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Lead-Sled-Shot-Carrier/dp/B0028LXFRE

I have historically used www. leadwake.com, high-quality stuff and easy guy to deal with. However ... I found out the hard way that they switched from lead to steel, so my 50# bags quickly became 50# blocks of rusty steel. No bueno.

If you plan to keep your lead dry then www.leadwake.com is fine, but I use my lead on the back platform where it is gets wet so the lead shot approach is a must for me. BTW, 25# bags are a LOT easy to handle than 50# bags!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No, I read on the forum about how results from that didn’t really seem to wow. A bunch of great stuff you have tried too btw. Thanks for that. Was real interested in your tab exsperiments. The overall consensus I took from those with good waves was push the boat down displace water and have something to clean up the jet wash. I know my flap is diff than all I’ve seen but also I have much more counter balance weight than those I’ve read about. I have 800lbs on the non-surf side. I know initially I didn’t want to carry 2800 pounds but I figured for the test fill em all up and give her hell! 11-12 mph @ 6100rpms.
Do you mind sharing the dimensions, at least approx., of your flap?
It looks like you get some type of a tunneling effect with that thing, very intriguing.
Also - I see you can get pretty far from the boat surfing and still have enough push, but you seem to be really good on that board! For a surfing klutz like myself, I usually end up pretty close to the swim platform - wonder how far back does your device trail.
The rounded shape and the "funnel" effect would probably make it possible to come up pretty close to the platform though. Just wondering, appreciate any insights.

--

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
... - wonder how far back does your device trail.
The rounded shape and the "funnel" effect would probably make it possible to come up pretty close to the platform though. Just wondering, appreciate any insights.

--
Interested as well, however, I don't want anything that gets in the way of my swim deck launch and return!

Dulaneyjared

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes, sorry I forget what I have stated on FB page and the forum. I’m gonna put a more details review of it together. I do think that I get a funneling affect with how long and the shape I made it. The jets bend the middle up which in pushes the corners down shaping and cleaning the wake. Just my thought. Yes you have room. I’m gonna do a full on overview about it next time I get a chance. The questions are coming in hot and heavy since i posted. Which I should have exspected after the exhausting amount of info and R&D on making our Yamaha’s surfable.

Dulaneyjared

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interested as well, however, I don't want anything that gets in the way of my swim deck launch and return!
If you mean swim deck ladder it does not block when the boat is off. The flap rotates down out of the way when the jets aren’t pushing against it.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you mean swim deck ladder it does not block when the boat is off. The flap rotates down out of the way when the jets aren’t pushing against it.
Nope, I mean swim deck starts and then surfing back onto the deck and stepping off my board. But that is good to know that it doesn't get in the way of the ladder as others do need to use it.

Dulaneyjared

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nope, I mean swim deck starts and then surfing back onto the deck and stepping off my board. But that is good to know that it doesn't get in the way of the ladder as others do need to use it.
Here’s a look at where it is.

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, sorry I forget what I have stated on FB page and the forum. I’m gonna put a more details review of it together. I do think that I get a funneling affect with how long and the shape I made it. The jets bend the middle up which in pushes the corners down shaping and cleaning the wake. Just my thought. Yes you have room. I’m gonna do a full on overview about it next time I get a chance. The questions are coming in hot and heavy since i posted. Which I should have exspected after the exhausting amount of info and R&D on making our Yamaha’s surfable.
Come on, @Dulaneyjared, it's been over a day! We need some updates and more detail!!!

I've been thinking - your flap is really crazy. Given the 20" chord (length) - versus about 10-14" for a @COtoFLsurf "standard" flap and the bow-out adding at least another 10" - your flap must be reaching about 30" past the swim platform! And then it is fairly narrow span (width) and has that curved/bowed edge...! That is way longer than anything else I've seen, but maybe that is the key (and the shape of course).

Now, what I think is really interesting is that the way your flap "funnels" up in the middle - that overall shape bears some resemblance to the bottom of the WaleTail of Tige and even more of the "Arial surf platform" of Chaparral VRX surf.

Have you tried any other shapes/sizes/etc.

I'm just so intrigued by the resemblance to the ASP (the chap surf platform) - when in action.
Also - I just have to ask - is the rod/cross member a hotel style bow-out shower bar? Is it SS or aluminum?

--

--

Dulaneyjared

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
HAha I feel ya. I’m a fireman so I was on shift yesterday which is 24hours. Structure fire at midnight which meant no sleep. Had to catch up on that today. I plan to go put together specifics on the flap tomorrow. Yes it is a lot like the Tige. It is hollow metal tube. That’s the first design and first run. I have some thoughts about changes to the shapes around the ends To get less turbulence. Hang in there.

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good video, waiting for someone to try it on a newer 242, I have the gatlon wake set up and works great but if there something that comes out better that's great. Especially if it does not brake the bank.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Jet deflection is jet deflection no matter how you do it or look at it. Like I tell others the Wake Wedge doesn't shape the wake or make it bigger, it just deflects the jet spray down. You have to use ballast and a list on the boat to make a wave. Our hulls are not like a tige, newer centurion, super air natique, etc. Those boats have a flatter back section and the reason why convergence and not so much of a list works. Listing our boats makes the wave better period, just like an older centurion that had deeper v hulls. Your wave is decent ( on the goofy side ) but I wouldn't say it is as good as the newer wake boats. I have ridden behind Z1, Z3, Ri237 Centurion, our wakes could never be that good, that is what they are built for. For the casual surfer that likes to go out and have fun, and also surf at some point in the day, we ( Yamaha Jet boats ) have that dialed in.

Last edited:

Dulaneyjared

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Jet deflection is jet deflection no matter how you do it or look at it. Like I tell others the Wake Wedge doesn't shape the wake or make it bigger, it just deflects the jet spray down. You have to use ballast and a list on the boat to make a wave. Our hulls are not like a tige, newer centurion, super air natique, etc. Those boats have a flatter back section and the reason why convergence and not so much of a list works. Listing our boats makes the wave better period, just like an older centurion that had deeper v hulls. Your wave is decent ( on the goofy side ) but I wouldn't say it is as good as the newer wake boats. I have ridden behind Z1, Z3, Ri237 Centurion, our wakes could never be that good, that is what they are built for. For the casual surfer that likes to go out and have fun, and also surf at some point in the day, we ( Yamaha Jet boats ) have that dialed in.
I believe most on this thread know everything you just said already but a good refresher. Thanks for the compliment on the wave. Surf boats are built for surfing. I agree. My 2 best friends have a Nautique G23 and Tige Z3. So I’ll pass judgment on my wave vs those. Like I said just as good as the Tige z3. I say that ridding behind it countless times. I don’t understand why you’re being passive aggressive. Well maybe I do. Im just answering questions honestly and freely. I have no skin in the game just love surfing. For you its a business. I get it. Why did I address your wedge? Because I got numerous questions on if it works better because my wave looked “decent”. I do believe I stated that yours works and countless people are happy with it. So Relax

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
No aggression here. BTW, Thank you for being a first responder. :thumbsup: @Dulaneyjared

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I believe most on this thread know everything you just said already but a good refresher. Thanks for the compliment on the wave. Surf boats are built for surfing. I agree. My 2 best friends have a Nautique G23 and Tige Z3. So I’ll pass judgment on my wave vs those. Like I said just as good as the Tige z3. I say that ridding behind it countless times. I don’t understand why you’re being passive aggressive. Well maybe I do. Im just answering questions honestly and freely. I have no skin in the game just love surfing. For you its a business. I get it. Why did I address your wedge? Because I got numerous questions on if it works better because my wave looked “decent”. I do believe I stated that yours works and countless people are happy with it. So Relax
Frankly, I don't see anything passive aggressive in @jcyamaharider's remarks, he is just telling it like it is - he is about as much a strait shooter and an upstanding guy as you can get. I also don't think we have anyone here who is more accomplished in the field of jet boat wake surfing mods.
I appreciate your very creative contributions and sharing your experience here, which is awesome, I just hope we can do without unnecessary personal remarks. But that's just me.

--