• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 192 Mods

Jetswu87

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
They didn't really say what it would do. I hope it will hit 8300 rpm without repitching the impeller. That would put it around 54mph. We will see.
I assume the guys with skis run that rpm without much issue? Wonder when they start to float valves

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
8600 rpm seems to be the limit without retainers. With a few upgrades they are turning 9000 rpm. I want to stay safe and reliable. Not going to push the limits of reliability for 2 mph.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SamCF That would be fantastic.
I all my back and forth reflashing my 190's 1.8 NA there was a marked improvement across the power band. Not surprisingly, not much on top end (N/A engine).

But the kicker was the improvement in throttle response - all the lag and ugly play disappeared - and one out of 3-4 versions of stage 1 reflash had an absolutely perfect throttle response curve, smooth and tight.

I am debating doing my twin reflash for that very reason albeit I now have the Ridesteady that I use constantly so I leave the throttles pretty much alone 90% of the time.

--

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
8600 rpm seems to be the limit without retainers. With a few upgrades they are turning 9000 rpm. I want to stay safe and reliable. Not going to push the limits of reliability for 2 mph.
Do you have a bow only cover? I know in a fast bow rider like an old hydrostream it would pull the bow down if it was open scrubbing 3-4mph of course totally different boat. But still might make a difference. I still think the 2 deg pump wedge will help too.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have a bow only cover? I know in a fast bow rider like an old hydrostream it would pull the bow down if it was open scrubbing 3-4mph of course totally different boat. But still might make a difference. I still think the 2 deg pump wedge will help too.
I doubt the bow cover would make a difference but that is an interesting idea and very easy to test! I don't have one now, I used to in my 190.
I think that Yamaha got the ride plate design and boat attitude pretty optimal for that hull. I never heard of anyone gaining speed with a wedge or ride plate mods in a boat. Maybe @WFO Performance ?
I played with the ride plate angles with fender washers - didn't get anywhere.
Trim tabs (aftermarket) are huge help in rough water but of course scrub speed.

--

4wheeldeal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I doubt the bow cover would make a difference but that is an interesting idea and very easy to test! I don't have one now, I used to in my 190.
I think that Yamaha got the ride plate design and boat attitude pretty optimal for that hull. I never heard of anyone gaining speed with a wedge or ride plate mods in a boat. Maybe @WFO Performance ?

--
Agree it might not help since the boat has to be suck or hooked up.

I know a lot of the fast skis use ride plates to add lift but still maintain control with the weight of the boat again I can't see it making a diff. It's kinda annoying that we can't just buy or do something to make actual gains. It seems to take big power to get little mph. I'm still hoping at some point to hit mid 50s but I'm going to be slow and follow what everyone has done and do things that work only. So thank you and everyone else for all your hard work.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I'm sure there are some top speed gains to be had with hull mods, pump shims, and ride plate adjustment. At some point these will start taking away from watersports and cruising performance. I shimmed the ride plate down a few years back, and it did lift the bow higher, and probably added a little speed, but without the "V" in the water, the boat just smacks over the top of rough water. It's going to be hard to make any changes for speed that don't take away from the overall ride of the boat.

I think the pump shim would not be good for watersports. Riding a tube behind these boats isn't ideal already due to the jetwash.

With that said, I will be playing with the ride plate angle after I get the ECU back from Dean's Team. I think at higher speeds, small adjustments will be more noticeable.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

--
I have the wedges. Maybe gained like half a mph. They are kinda nicwe for getting the nose up a little on lake Michigan big waves. They also create more spray for thr kids tubing.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just ordered a CJS Venom Viper kit directly from Cobra Jet Steering Friday. This kit has the integrated fangs and extra wide plate in a single piece construction. I'll be installing (and hopefully) it on the 8th if it arrives by then. Can't wait to see how and to what degree it improves the steering and the ride quality.

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I have to say, this Cobra Jet Steering CJS Venom Viper package is absolutely fantastic! This is a total game changer at all sub-planing speeds and cruising speeds. If you have a single engine, articulating keel equipped Yamaha - THIS IS A MUST HAVE ITEM!

Installation was incredibly simple and brief. One 12mm, 13mm, and 17mm, and 2 10mm wrenches are all that is needed along with some Loctite blue. Maybe 20 mins tops.

I took the boat out for several hours, in semi-rough conditions, as much as 2.5 feet of chop and 20 knots of wind. Crowded lake with lots of traffic.

The fins make low speed steering incredibly responsive, and they ease the problem with stall while turning left considerably. The fact that the fins are below the hull, and yet, not below the keel is just genius. It very nearly feels like an outdrive when using any level of thrust. Even when coasting, you have a considerably level of control still available. At speed you will notice considerably more force is required to reach the stop on the steering wheel...thats how much steering this system adds.

The mini trim plate is an incredible advantage for reduced throttle at cruising speeds, and reduces the affect of chop considerably. The boat used to need 5800-6000 rpm to get on plane and 5600 to maintain plane. Now it will get on plane at 5500 and hold plane as low as 5100. Obviously that may change in flat water though. What used to be annoying chop at 1 to 1.5 ft is nearly gone. Where 1.5 to 2.5 ft used to be teeth rattling, now it is entirely tolerable.

Thank you so much Jeff! At your current price for this system, it is an incredible bargain and benefit to your fellow boaters.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I talked to Dean today about the ECU re-flash. His engineer is working on the boat ECU, but it's not quite ready. He is sending me a spare ECU with the correct tune, but the Cruise Assist and No Wake Mode probably won't work. I'm installing a wideband AFR gauge along with the ECU so I'll be able to give him feedback on any adjustments that need to be made. Once the Engineers are ready with the boat tune, I'll send back the spare ECU and he will return mine with any needed adjustments. I should have everything installed Friday morning, and if the weather allows, lake tested Friday afternoon.

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Well in what I referring too was the SVHO intercooler stock, so it has 3 pissers.

17's have the bigger intercooler, SVHO engine setup(more boost, different s/c wheel I believe) Also a 160mm Jet pump. I believe it's about 30hp bump but I could be wrong, lot more details in that section

My 2015 sx192 came with a 160mm pump.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Made a quick speed run while my wife was parking the car. Full tank of fuel, 3 kids, coolers and gear. Went 59mph GPS! On the rev limiter at 8600 rpms. CRAZY RIDE!!

Wife was pretty mad. She doesn't like to go fast.

I didn't get a pic of the 59mph. I didn't have my phone out, and wasn't really expecting it. I did get this video, water was really rough, and my wife did not want to go fast. I just did a quick run because I know everyone wants GPS pics. I only hit 56 mph and hit some boat wakes, but here it is.

Last edited:

Irvs

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Nice. That's awesome!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Made a quick speed run while my wife was parking the car. Full tank of fuel, 3 kids, coolers and gear. Went 59mph GPS! On the rev limiter at 8600 rpms. CRAZY RIDE!!

Holy crap!!!!

What readouts did your wideband give you at WOT?

Midnight2V

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Nice, did you ever re-pitch, or is that just the stock impeller at 8600 rpm plus the power to hit the new rev limit?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
It was pretty much perfect. I still have the powershot installed, so I was able to add fuel. When it hits the rev limiter, it shows running lean, but if I backed off just below the limiter it stayed just under 12.0 AFR.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Nice, did you ever re-pitch, or is that just the stock impeller at 8600 rpm plus the power to hit the new rev limit?
Stock impeller. I was expecting to have to depitch to get the rpms up. I'm shocked that I'm going to have to pitch up to get rpms down.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder what kind of boost you're getting at 8600 RPM? That wheel is supposed to put out 14 lbs @ 8450. Do you have a boost gauge? I'm sorry I can't remember this thread is mega long lol

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Going back to the lake tomorrow and Tuesday, so hopefully I can get a good video in smooth water. I really want to get a video of a drive by at speed. It really feels like it's getting some lift and carrying the bow pretty high.