• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 192 Mods

Higgy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@JerryG

"plan on additional modifications"

So.... what I'm hearing is... next you are gonna get a bigger compressor wheel and an ECM tune and then report on what kinda gains you get? Right? :winkingthumbsup"

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JerryG

"plan on additional modifications"

So.... what I'm hearing is... next you are gonna get a bigger compressor wheel and an ECM tune and then report on what kinda gains you get? Right? :winkingthumbsup"
You are definitely talking my language!
Next immediate modification is replacing the motor cover cushion with the split design from jetboatpilot. I cringe every time someone steps on my seat plus the inlaws have a difficult time getting in boat (will post how that goes) Next, repitch prop. Then, compressor wheel. Been talking to the other "JerryG" at Greenhulk and he said I could go with a B1 and a boost clamp. No need for an ecu reflash or fpr upgrade but still on the fence about that. So many say different.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
The walk through mod is great. I really wouldn't like constantly stepping on my rear cushion. My favorite is the rear deck cushion mod. So much more comfortable sitting on back while chilling in a cove than sitting on just the sea-deck. I does make it a little bit of a pain to get to the ski ropes in the wet storage compartment.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@JerryG B1 and a Boost Clamp? What sorcery is this?
LOL. That would be Jerry Gaddis of Greenhulk site. and yes, they do talk like that.
He is an amazing guy BTW, and shall we say a bit of a guru over there. He knows his stuff, certainly about the skis.

There are, however, mods and approaches that do not translate well between skis and boats, especially with pump and impellers.

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
LOL. That would be Jerry Gaddis of Greenhulk site. and yes, they do talk like that.
He is an amazing guy BTW, and shall we say a bit of a guru over there. He knows his stuff, certainly about the skis.

There are, however, mods and approaches that do not translate well between skis and boats, especially with pump and impellers.
Agree!

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@JerryG B1 and a Boost Clamp? What sorcery is this?
Lol. B1 is a style of supercharger impeller and the boost clamp goes inline with the map sensor. It "tricks" the ecm so it doesn't limit the boost. This allows the b1 compressor wheel to achieve its max potential. unfortunately, since it tricks the ecm, there is a chance of leaning out the motor...

Higgy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
Lol. B1 is a style of supercharger impeller and the boost clamp goes inline with the map sensor. It "tricks" the ecm so it doesn't limit the boost. This allows the b1 compressor wheel to achieve its max potential. unfortunately, since it tricks the ecm, there is a chance of leaning out the motor...
I see. Just my $0.02 but I'd prolly go for the tune. @swatski seems to be pretty happy with his tuning experience. Just on a cost/benefit point of view... Tune seems more worth it to me. Whatever you decide I'm looking forward to hearin about it. :D Doesn't seem like there is much information out there for these engines specifically in our boats. Somebody needs to blaze a trail. I think you're just the man for the job! :winkingthumbsup"

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see. Just my $0.02 but I'd prolly go for the tune. @swatski seems to be pretty happy with his tuning experience. Just on a cost/benefit point of view... Tune seems more worth it to me. Whatever you decide I'm looking forward to hearin about it. :D Doesn't seem like there is much information out there for these engines specifically in our boats. Somebody needs to blaze a trail. I think you're just the man for the job! :winkingthumbsup"
@Higgy - I have been wondering - what is holding you 192 guys back from reflashing...??? Especially now - with the Vtech Maptuner X available - it is such a sweet system. I mean, still $$$, but man... what a deal. I wouldn't hesitate for a second. I have not heard of a single problem with Vtech in Yamahas, the guys are super conservative, and now they have this Jesus tuner dude, who is supposed to be the god of RIVA.

All your pump mods would need to follow the ECU reflash, depending on how fast you want to spin it, getting impeller slip with more torque etc, lots of things to consider. Need to run premium gas which - with MaptunerX - takes not time to reflash back to run regular.

I am very happy with the reflash EVEN THOUGH my 1.8HO is already very highly tuned from the factory. With its super high compression ratio (11.1 in 1.8HO-N/A vs 8.5 CR in SHO) the HO has very little that you can do with it (by comparison, 1.8 SHO is very under tuned and has a lot of extra performance that can be added).

Most importantly - and why a reflash seems like a no-brainer with SHOs - remember with a supercharged engine anytime you increase RPMs you increase boost and power. My 1.8HO does not afford that, with only modest gains coming from increasing the rev limiter. With my set up I feel very strong on the low end side of business, which is what I care about for towing, but with the N/A I can only gain little top speed no matter how high I let it rev (playing with impeller pitch etc.) - as compared to SHO.

Anyway - if I had a 192 to play with... (I mean a towerless one that's not rigged for towing sports)... could be running circles around all the stock twins ;).

But then, again, there is a reason I don't have a 192. Boating in my house is all about compromises...:)

__

Last edited:

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For me, there is one thing holding me back. Yamaha Y. E. S. plan. Everything I have done thus far is completely reversible (ok, hole for dedicated waterline cant be reversed but can be covered with underwater lighting.) If I remember correctly, 2011+ 1.8l SHOs you have to send in your ecu for a reflash so there is no simple way to go back. Last year there was a gentleman that "accidentally" destroyed his motor, at the dealer. Warranty voided and 11k bill. Yes 11k.
IMO, I would definitely recommend anyone looking at upgraded sc or tunes to consider installing a wb o2 sensor and gauge so you can keep an eye on your A/F ratios. A lot of tunes just lean out the a/f and thats something that can get serious real quick!
But with all that being said, in 2yrs when my YES plan expires, im all in! Lol

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For me, there is one thing holding me back. Yamaha Y. E. S. plan. Everything I have done thus far is completely reversible (ok, hole for dedicated waterline cant be reversed but can be covered with underwater lighting.) If I remember correctly, 2011+ 1.8l SHOs you have to send in your ecu for a reflash so there is no simple way to go back. Last year there was a gentleman that "accidentally" destroyed his motor, at the dealer. Warranty voided and 11k bill. Yes 11k.
IMO, I would definitely recommend anyone looking at upgraded sc or tunes to consider installing a wb o2 sensor and gauge so you can keep an eye on your A/F ratios. A lot of tunes just lean out the a/f and thats something that can get serious real quick!
I should have posted a disclaimer above. This is just my view and where my thinking is at. A bud of mine plays golf with the owner of the dealership where I purchased my boat. So I asked his opinion on what would and would not void a warranty. Some state that any modifications will void warranty and this may be true with some dealers. If I should break a cam chain or fry a sc clutch, it would still be covered. However, if I should raise the max rpm of the engine, all bets are off....

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Dude, with the aftermarket IC and the diverted cooling water flow, and the ribbon delete and aftermarket air filter, I assumed you were past that point. My bad.

Regarding the Vtech ECU reflash - no idea where you get your information from. The Maptuner reflash actually leaves an intact STOCK file you can always go back to, and no - you DO NOT need to send your unit anywhere, do it in your boat. I can also assure you that if you needed additional upgrades beyond "canned" tunes, you would be properly advised by these guys.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should have posted a disclaimer above. This is just my view and where my thinking is at. A bud of mine plays golf with the owner of the dealership where I purchased my boat. So I asked his opinion on what would and would not void a warranty. Some state that any modifications will void warranty and this may be true with some dealers. If I should break a cam chain or fry a sc clutch, it would still be covered. However, if I should raise the max rpm of the engine, all bets are off....
Thanks for clarifying that. The way the warranty claims are handled... you are at the mercy of your dealer in the first place, anyway. But if your SC fails and Yamaha sends someone to investigate, they might take an issue with the IC unit and the rigging. You just hopefully never find out.

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Dude, with the aftermarket IC and the diverted cooling water flow, and the ribbon delete and aftermarket air filter, I assumed you were past that point. My bad.

Regarding the Vtech ECU reflash - no idea where you get your information from. The Maptuner reflash actually leaves an intact STOCK file you can always go back to, and no - you DO NOT need to send your unit anywhere, do it in your boat. I can also assure you that if you needed additional upgrades beyond "canned" tunes, you would be properly advised by these guys.
You are absolutely correct with the VTech. My statement was referring to another reflash company that was recommended. And as you know there are many.
Definitely not passed the warranty phase yet. I have a box that has every nut, bolt. Tiewrap that was removed.
As far as where I get my information from, I read. Its very hard to bridge the gap between the jetski world and the boats. Just take a minute to google sx190,192 modification and you will get this forum and one more. Thats about it. I look forward to learning a lot from you and others

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is really looking good! I want it. This is Jetboatpilot kit, correct? Do you know if he has it with SeaDek to much whatever you have in the boat?
Yes, this is the one from Jetboatpilot. Ever since I have owned the boat, I have always hated stepping on my seats plus my wife's parents have a difficult time as well. I will post my "full" install once I get a few questions answered from Will @JetBoatPilot. I want to make sure I represent his products honestly and as accurate as possible. I added your question as well...... overall, a great concept!

JerryG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
But this was the picture on the included instructions so I would think yes to additional mats available2016-05-18 20.35.52.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, this is the one from Jetboatpilot. Ever since I have owned the boat, I have always hated stepping on my seats plus my wife's parents have a difficult time as well. I will post my "full" install once I get a few questions answered from Will @JetBoatPilot. I want to make sure I represent his products honestly and as accurate as possible. I added your question as well...... overall, a great concept!
Looking forward to your write up, please keep us posted. This is something that seems like a complete no-brainer.

Well, other than... I just noticed that little cushion is an extra, not included with the kit (???). That's a bit much.

--

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I don't know if it is included, but I do know the one that came in my boat lives under the seat behind the helm. I guess I might use it someday...

Top Bottom