• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Texas/Oklahoma area Gathering this summer at Broken Bow July 25th weekend

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just too much work for a short weekend.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bring the boat:
1 tow vehicle at 12 mpg

Bring the boat and 5th wheel:
2 tow vehicles at 12 MPG each (approximately)

So....in essence twice the cost. If diesel were split to get the 5th wheel down there, the economics would make more sense to bring the 5th wheel.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
You guys will still have a good time and make good memories!
No no...I meant about too short to pull an RV that way...were coming! But it is still short!

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
BTW, I'm arriving Friday late afternoon and leaving Sunday around noon.

@maboat what about the opposite side of the peninsula from #1? That southern wall there is shallow toward the east end of that peninsula, and it provides protection.
I suppose we could consider that spot #4 if 1,2,3 are no good. You are correct about the southern protection and shallow. The issue with that spot is that its not much of a "cove" off the main body. It has little protection from the open water of the main body of the lake.

But certainly, there will need to be some flexibility and adjust as necessary when we get there.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Too bad SilverFish hasn't joined! He could totally help out on a location for this event!

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Silverfish just joined about 3 minutes after I posted I wish he had joined! Crazy......

@Silverfish can you give some input as to where you think a good place to meet on the water is at Broken Bow for our gathering?

Silverfish

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'll have to take some time to read through this thread. I've been going to Broken Bow Lake my whole life so I know it pretty well. Haven't been there this year because I don't currently own a boat. I will hopefully have time this afternoon to read through all this and give you some info...

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sounds great. Thanks @Silverfish !

We hope you can make it to the get together too. If you don't have a boat by then, you and your family/friends are more than welcome to hitch a ride on ours.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard @Silverfish , glad you joined the old gang at the new location! Yeah, give us some BB intel!

Silverfish

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Ok guys and gals I've speed read through this thread so I kinda get the gist of what is going on. It sounds like you all have figured out the lodging situation pretty well. The cabins are by far your best choice. Aside from the cabins inside the state park they are all fairly new and very nice and clean. The lodge on the lake is nice as well but the boat ramp it has is the worst on the lake. I'll make a list of noteworthy info about this lake....

1- The only ramp on the whole lake that has any sort of courtesy dock is the one at the marina. Every other ramp will require you to wade into the water in order to get into the boat after launching. You do not want to beach your boat on the shore around an of the ramps I promise.

2- The water is deep and very clear, nothing like any other lake I've been to in this part of the country. Also you will not have to wipe down your boat after it comes out of the water, I've never once had to wipe down a boat after being on this lake.

3- Once you get the boat into the water do directly across the lake to the east side. Otherwise you will be cussing jet skis and idiot boaters til you're blue in the face. The east side of the lake is by far the place you want to hang out. Lots of great coves in other places but they will be crowded with people guaranteed.

4- Make sure you have plenty of fly swatters! The last two years on this lake there have been biting flies everywhere! Yes I said biting flies and they hurt. I have actually cut a couple trips short just because of this issue. I haven't been yet this year but I know the last two summers they have been really really bad. Just make sure to prepare for that with the proper weapons and/or spray.

5- There is now a lake patrol on this lake that is there pretty much every weekend. Just be mindful that they like to do random equipment checks at the boat ramps and on the water.

6- There are no sandy beaches on this lake period. There are a couple small areas where there is some really fine shale beaches but just a couple. For the most part it is rocky shores. You really don't want to beach your boat anywhere on this lake.

That's all I can really think of at the moment that I feel is important. I'm sure there are some things that I have forgotten. The area that @maboat has mentioned is probably the best spot to meet up. That is the area I always go when I'm there. Sometimes we venture a little north to Egypt Creek as well but mostly in the area he described. There is one point and cove area in particular that I like the best because the point comes quite a ways out where there is some shallow water and the shore is full of large flat shale rocks kinda like decorative stepping stones. I circled it in orange on the map below. No keep in mind that I'm usually by myself or with one other boat when I go so this spot may not work with the amount of boats that will be there. You may be better off with one of the other noted spots which will be great also. The only thing is that with any cove on this lake you aren't going to find shallow areas where people can wade around and hang out. You will have to float around.

Another great spot that is rarely every crowded is the orange circle in the map below...

You could very easily take over this whole cove, we've done this before in this spot. This area of the lake is not necessarily the prettiest part but it is the most logical spot on the lake to do a get together and hang out on the water without dealing with tons of boat/jet ski traffic and having calm water. Feel free to ask any questions you want and I will answer the best I can.

Silverfish

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Now for info on the eating places. Grateful Head, The Blue Rooster, and Girls Gone Wine are the 3 places you don't want to miss. Abendigos is the fancy restaurant and is usually pretty good but they are very expensive now. Every time I go there they have gone up on their prices. Grateful Head has pizza, wings, and beer. Blue Rooster has fried chicken and fried fish. Both those restaurants are pretty awesome and I've never had a bad experience at either one. Just make sure to go early on Friday and Saturday nights or prepare to wait a long time. Girls Gone Wine is across the highway from these two places and they are a winery and tasting room. I'm not a wine person but my wife loves this place. They are very popular and stay crowded all the time. Be advised they close at 8pm. We have a new local beer brewery called Beavers Bend Brewery but they haven't gotten their building finished yet. It's actually some friends of mine and they have been brewing for the past couple years and working their way to opening a retail store. Right now they are on tap at Grateful Head and a couple other local restaurants that aren't at the lake. They have an amazing jalapeno ale!

There are a few other places to eat but trust me these are the best choices.

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice to "see" you again @Silverfish and glad you found the new website. Great info on the lake!
5- There is now a lake patrol on this lake that is there pretty much every weekend. Just be mindful that they like to do random equipment checks at the boat ramps and on the water.
Regarding the lake patrol, how strict [beer] are they [beer] about open containers [beer]? Are they cool as long as we don't get out of control? Or do we have to hide everything when they show up?

Silverfish said:
The only thing is that with any cove on this lake you aren't going to find shallow areas where people can wade around and hang out. You will have to float around.
When I was there a few years ago, I anchored in Area 2 on the map. No sand for beaching, but I was able to shallow anchor and stand in waist deep water. The footing was mostly firm and flat, perhaps shale as you mentioned.

With only a few boats, I don't mind deep anchor and floating. But with a half-dozen or more, I prefer to shallow anchor and wade around and meet and talk to people. I know there is no BEACHING anywhere, but are you sure there is no shallow anchor and wading (like at the far upper ends of areas #2 and #3)?

Last edited:

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's a short video of me entering Cove #2 in August 2011

Silverfish

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm really not sure about how strict the lake patrol is on open containers. I would assume its fine while anchored as long as nobody is being obscene. I imagine you would have a problem if you have an open container while the boat is in motion though. I've never seen them stop any boats on the water unless they were acting stupid. As long as you aren't drawing attention to yourself you wi

Silverfish

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I see what you mean in the video.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Silverfish thank you so much for giving us the detailed information! I knew you could help us out being from down there!

Seriously - if you would like to join us, please do so. At this point, there will be 2 people on my boat! We have room!

Silverfish

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@farrelltravis I'm not sure what we have going on that weekend right now. I'll let you know. I appreciate the invite.

I'm sure I've left out some info that I probably take for granted because I live here so if you guys have any specific questions feel free to ask. Just tag me so I will get a notification.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You are most welcome.

Looking forward to seeing Broken Bow shortly! 18 days and counting.....

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I heard from @DCB-270 . They will not be able to make it.