• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

These guys had a Bad day - don’t forget your drain plug

Farny

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Good reminder to do your launch checklist

Kinda sucks when your boat doesn’t have a self bailing deck…I’m actually quite amazed at how many fishing boats don’t have self bailing decks. Not to mention all the bow rider boats.

Last edited:
By the video a self bailing deck would not have helped. With the bow cap separated the water was getting in between the deck and hull. What a sucky deal.
Sounds like the people and the boat were saved.

Reminds me of a decade ago with my old Rinker.

We were on day 3 of a long weekend and just put in. I drove the truck she drove the boat. I back in, we go through the routine. She's off the trailer and floating near the dock, I go park. As I'm walking down the courtesy dock ramp/walkway thing I notice the bilge pump was running. That's weird, this boat has always been dry as a bone, even after aggressive days of watersports and such. Somethings not quite right. She motors over, and as I step onto the deck I notice the ski locker door is FLOATING. The vests and skis in the locker were pushing it up and water was starting to wash over the deck onto the carpet. That's when it hit me that I hadn't put the plug back in from the day before. I took control from her immediately as I didn't feel I had time to explain (in retrospect this scared the crap out of her, and I have since learned to communicate, even basically, while under duress). I "beached" the boat right there on the ramp. Hopped out and screwed the plug in to stop the leak. Left the bilge running and went and got the truck. We reloaded, got out of the way and drained the boat. Reinstalled the plug, relaunched, and had a good day after that. Sucks we had to learn that way though.

- Knocking on wood - Haven't done it since either :D

By the video a self bailing deck would not have helped. With the bow cap separated the water was getting in between the deck and hull. What a sucky deal.
Sounds like the people and the boat were saved.

What do you mean bow cap?

Ok this was bad and I've been guilty twice of forgetting them, thankfully I was still real close to the dock the first time and the last time it was still on the trailer so it was an EZ fix

BUT has anyone seen the short vid of the guy (in another country) who pulled into the gas station and pumped 231 liters of gas into his fishing rod holder? The rod holder was on the rear gunnel and was just open at the bottom so the fuel filled up his interior space. He leans over the gunnel and you can see the seating area awash in fuel like an aquarium. I saw it from a link sent to me from Instagram.

My personal moment came when I took my friends and their 13 year old fishing…. We had been fishing for a while by a dam for smallies.. I was re tying a rod set up when I heard this water running into the lake water..I thought hmmm, that’s funny I wonder what tha.. oh shoot! Looked over the side and saw the stream of water coming out of the bilge outlet.
Everyone scrambled and worked together … by the time everyone got their lines in the bilge pump had stopped but was back on by the time we got to the dock. My friend ran up to my truck and we got the boat on the trailer and pulled it just far enough out to let the bilge drain, install the plug, re launch and continued our day. Moral of the story? I got distracted and didn’t run through my check list…boo.

Ok this was bad and I've been guilty twice of forgetting them, thankfully I was still real close to the dock the first time and the last time it was still on the trailer so it was an EZ fix

BUT has anyone seen the short vid of the guy (in another country) who pulled into the gas station and pumped 231 liters of gas into his fishing rod holder? The rod holder was on the rear gunnel and was just open at the bottom so the fuel filled up his interior space. He leans over the gunnel and you can see the seating area awash in fuel like an aquarium. I saw it from a link sent to me from Instagram.
Wholly crap! Major fire hazard what an idiot

Ok I found the video.

What do you mean bow cap?

The top molded cap separated from the molded hull so the entire front of the bow was open. Every time the nose went into the water at all water poured into the boat straight into the hull. Take a big bilge pump to get that out.

Aaaaand, last time out I forgot my plug. Was flicking switches checking stuff and was quite surprised that instead of hearing the electric hum of the bilge pump I heard a stream of water. My boat stays dry in the bilge normally. Remembered to put it in then! Really glad mine installs easy from the inside!

The top molded cap separated from the molded hull so the entire front of the bow was open. Every time the nose went into the water at all water poured into the boat straight into the hull. Take a big bilge pump to get that out.

Where did that info come from? I don’t see anything like that from the attached video link…it says there that they forgot the drain plug ??

Back