• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

These Kenwood Amps are a fantastic value..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought 2 of these amps to give the 6 stock speakers some extra power. I'm left with 2 channels not assigned to anything, any ideas? I'm not a fan of the tower tweeters so will leave those as is or disconnect.
Add two tower speakers?

You could bridge one of the amps and send more power to a single pair of speakers.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Add two tower speakers?

You could bridge one of the amps and send more power to a single pair of speakers.
My plan was to run bow/tower tweeters off head unit, wire cabin/swim deck to one amp, than get two tower cans and wire them bridged to the other amp.

Many different ways to run this setup, input on my idea anyone?

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
they are $199 now...

I used 8 gauge TO the amp. and 0 Gauge from battery to the distribution block. Probably an overkill for me since I have nothing else hooked up just yet.

Last edited:

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That really was a steal of a price...you guys are the best :D

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Would 10 gauge wire run to a distribution block behind the helm be enough to power one of these?
Depending on your route this amplifier is right on the edge for 10 gauge pure copper wire.

The larger the diameter of the wire the less loss that occurs for the same amperage over the same distance. You will use a little less power from the battery if you use 8 gauge wire. If you use 10 I would feel of the wire occasionally to make sure it is not getting too hot.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I already have 10 gauge wire and a distribution block set up behind the helm... if i ever did an amp it would not be a large one. I just wonder if the 10 gauge can power one. I know 8 gauge or larger is preferred but i am not gonna ever have a massive power stereo on the boat..

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ran it around through the engine conmpartment.. so maybe if i decide to gey one.. juat gey one a bit smaller.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My plotter and vhf
You are already drawing a few amps across that 10 gauge run. A 10 gauge wire will lose 5% of the voltage at 13 amps of current. That amplifier is rated to draw 22 amps at peak. Your plotter and VHF likely draw a few amps each. You would need to run a separate 8 gauge pair for the amplifier or upgrade the 10 gauge to 6.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ill wait and break the news to the family about running those addituonal wires in the fall. Lol
Pulling the wires should not be a big issue. It is open across the engine bay then into the rear starboard locker from there you need a pole to push it into the helm. Once it is in the helm you can reach in and grab the wire. I have used a telescoping mooring hook or a pvc pipe as the pole to push it through.

Running the wires diagonally under the fuel tank hatch is the most efficient route but requires removing the hatch bolts. If you have not done so I would not. The bolts on our 230s do not like to come out.

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
8 gauge wire kit was $12.99 from Amazon...I think you can break the news today :)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well u see... when we ran the 10 gauge wire i shoved my kids in the far back compartments .. that wasnt to bad... untill i pulled out the black wire tubing that we had to stuff the wires i to... so it would.. "look good".. everyone was over it by then.

Since we are on the topic.. i have a fusion tgat has a class d built in... the probl3wm is when we turn it up some of the speakers start to pop. I installed wet sounds speakers when i installed the radio.. any idea why that would be?