• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

These Kenwood Amps are a fantastic value..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, that sub on the other hand is anything but little, I think it weights 25lbs, lol.

--
It is so tempting if I did not already have so much bass.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Now, speaking of fantastic value...
How about those BassLink subwoofers (powered!) that used to be $350 are now going for $160:
https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_372_Infinity-Basslink-Great-Bass-Save-Space.html
That's nuts.
Now, those do have a known weakness, a capacitor that sometimes burns out, but it is a $5 part and we could learn here quickly how to swap it, right? In the meantime, mine is installed, I posted here in the other thread, and I tell you - that thing hits like a mofo.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2016-ar240-budget-stereo-upgrade.7719/page-3#post-224212

--
You guys are seriously killing me lol. I am not looking to bother any other boats around but do want some good bass, you pleased enough with this setup? Figure this plus a couple tower cans and i'm good for audio until the db's pop. Now I need to find the dough for rev 8's or samson s9hd's...

And I was looking at those last week and talked myself out of it. Damn it. Lol this whole boat thing is worse than my firearm addiction!!

On another note, my amps showed up from BB today and I cannot believe how little they are.
Oh can I relate... how do we find time for all the hobbies lol.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Finally, ordered new speakers and amp to go with the Kenwood KMR-765 BT marine receiver and remote I installed last year. Purchased the Kenwood amp KAC-3004, too cheap not to, hope it is not a sign of impending failure. The factory speakers will be replaced with (4) Polk MM-651-um speakers. Can not wait to hear how Little Feat or Santana or Buffett sound, and cant forget Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Last edited:

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got mine and had it installed yesterday to power my DB521. Sounds much cleaner than when it was running off the HU.
Question: do you guys usually set it to High Pass or Full range? Currently, I have it on full range along with my JL 10" sub.

Attachments

cozilla

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just put in a new amp Pioneer GM-D9605 5 channel amp powering 6 speakers and a sub. I set both channels for the 6 Polk DB651's on HPF crossed over at about 80hz while the sub channel is on LPF crossed over at 80 hz as well. I used a voltmeter to set my gains.

kthrash

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got mine and had it installed yesterday to power my DB521. Sounds much cleaner than when it was running off the HU.
Question: do you guys usually set it to High Pass or Full range? Currently, I have it on full range along with my JL 10" sub.
I have mine on Highpass, which filters out the bass going to the boat, I am installing a Powered Bazooka that will run the lower frequencies off the Sub output from my HU.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I ordered one today. Can't wait to install. Exactly what I needed for my 7" fusions. Cheers!

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So looking at some Amp Installation kits that come with the fuses and such, one thing I noticed is that the ground cables are all like 3ft long. It's still cheaper to order the kit I want and order an extra ground cable, just thought it was a little weird.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So looking at some Amp Installation kits that come with the fuses and such, one thing I noticed is that the ground cables are all like 3ft long. It's still cheaper to order the kit I want and order an extra ground cable, just thought it was a little weird.
Be very careful about what kind of wire is in those kits . Many have CCA which is copper clad aluminum. Aluminum is cheap but much less efficient at transferring voltage. You would need to use larger sized aluminum wire if you were planning to do so.

The short ground is for automotive installations where the amp would be grounded to the frame.

I suggest going to an electricians supply and buying 8 gauge stranded copper THHN wire in red and black. It is $0.31 per square foot at my local Wholesale Electric. Or Swatski posted a link to some very nice wire that he and Mainah use. Lowes and Home Depot charge twice as much for the THHN ask if you are going to use it go to where a real electrician would go.

firecap797

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I was looking at the Knuknocepts site and the OFC tinned wire.

I thought about using THHN, and it would definitely be cheaper, but I like the idea of the flexibility of the Type 3 cable.

I've seen a few car fires where folks used the CCA wire and pulled too much amperage and caused a fire.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My replacement shipped. I no longer see the open box option on the Best Buy website so they must be out of those but new ones are still on closeout for $65.

@firecap797 some of the KnuKonceptz kits and wires are CCA instead of OFC. The car kits are not tinned wire. If I was going to pay extra it would be for marine rated tinned wire.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You guys are seriously killing me lol. I am not looking to bother any other boats around but do want some good bass, you pleased enough with this setup? Figure this plus a couple tower cans and i'm good for audio until the db's pop. Now I need to find the dough for rev 8's or samson s9hd's...

Oh can I relate... how do we find time for all the hobbies lol.
@swatski curious how happy with the bass you are? Would you say it is enough?

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
... It is $0.31 per square foot at my local Wholesale Electric...
A square foot of 8-gauge copper for 31 pennies?!?!? Now that's a STEAL! :smuggrin:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski curious how happy with the bass you are? Would you say it is enough?
Yes. This thing hits surprisingly hard. I have the gain set below 50% not to completely overpower the DBs.

I can not imagine an average person with a small boat like mine wanting more bass than this thing can deliver - with ease. My most recent comparison would be with two 10" kicker subs driven by the matched kicker amp in ported enclosures (from Best Buy) in my 190 yamy - the bass link seems several fold more powerful. The tuning instructions call for having the evo LED light come on/up intermittently, but when I get to that point I have way too much bass.

I'm very glad the remote knob is a full range sub volume control, it will come in very handy.

EDIT: I do run it connected to both forward and rear channel speaker level outputs direct from the HU, and I think it does get the most juice in that configuration. It also does not require the rem (power antenna) in that configuration.

EDTI 2: I remember @Glassman commenting on his baselink install - he installed two but ended up removing one? I always thought that was a bit of a strange comment. Well, now I can understand.
--

Last edited:

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes. This thing hits surprisingly hard. I have the gain set below 50% not to completely overpower the DBs.

I can not imagine an average person with a small boat like mine wanting more bass than this thing can deliver - with ease. My most recent comparison would be with two 10" kicker subs driven by the matched kicker amp in ported enclosures (from Best Buy) in my 190 yamy - the bass link seems several fold more powerful. The tuning instructions call for having the evo LED light come on/up intermittently, but when I get to that point I have way too much bass.

I'm very glad the remote knob is a full range sub volume control, it will come in very handy.

EDIT: I do run it connected to both forward and rear channel speaker level outputs direct from the HU, and I think it does get the most juice in that configuration. It also does not require the rem (power antenna) in that configuration.

EDTI 2: I remember @Glassman commenting on his baselink install - he ended up removing one? I always thought that was a bit of a strange comment. Well, now I can understand.
--
Thanks alot good info.

Edit: @swatski pulled the trigger thanks man, found a 5% off coupon code too lol.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ordered yesterday, arrived today. Waiting on the Polks now. 20170421_183931.jpgPerfect match for my Kenwood KMR-765-BT

Edit: Ordered this as new not the open box option

Last edited:

blacksapphirez

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
my open box looks like it went to hell and back... err thank good ness for the 4 year geeksquad protection plan incase it goes bad

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ugh why did I open this thread I just told myself I wasn't going to do any audio upgrade now I guess I need to look for tower speakers

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
my open box looks like it went to hell and back... err thank good ness for the 4 year geeksquad protection plan incase it goes bad
Does the box look bad or the amp? The description said that open box units would be in like new condition. If the amp looks bad I would call customer service and demand a new one. I did. I had to send it back and order another because the customer service guy said the system would not let him ship.

renrab

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Does the box look bad or the amp? The description said that open box units would be in like new condition. If the amp looks bad I would call customer service and demand a new one. I did. I had to send it back and order another because the customer service guy said the system would not let him ship.
My one open box was in perfect condition. The second not so much, amp looks clean so i'll give it a go and see if it works.