• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts and demo rides of wake / towsports boats: Moomba Max, Axis A22, MB Sports

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey @SCP1 here are the measurements you requested for tower height folded. It’s around 9’ 5 1/2” to the top of the tower racks. Height of tower up was around 11” or so but hard to get a closer measurement.

65C6F87F-72E3-4CDF-84DA-E18084B6C67A.jpeg

02DDBB04-9E89-4834-9572-9B5CF76A885B.jpeg

And here’s a good perspective for storage depth :D. I’m 5’10” with a 32” inseam for reference.

1469C46A-A264-472A-B968-0B6AF927D437.jpeg

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Wow, that is high. Without the rack I’m assuming it’s still way above 8’. It’s hard to tell from your picture if the rack sits way above the tower. Funny their spec sheet must be wrong then.

spatty99

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The board rack looks like mine (17 Helix), in which case it is a quick disconnect design. The entire assembly comes off with a single hex wrench, and looks like it would reduce height by 6ish inches.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow, that is high. Without the rack I’m assuming it’s still way above 8’. It’s hard to tell from your picture if the rack sits way above the tower. Funny their spec sheet must be wrong then.
Yea I think their spec is from last years Max which used the A2 tower and from what I understand is a shorter tower compared to the A3. I don't know for sure. Also don't know what height their trailer jack was at or what they consider nominal in the owner's manual dimensions. The trailer was about level yesterday so you could gain some inches with it jacked down.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A while back I asked if my dealer would be willing to check with Boatmate trailers to spec out my trailer with different wheels than what come stock on the Moomba Max and today I got a call from my dealer saying that Boatmate has my build number and will do the swap for me at no charge since I didn't increase the wheel size. Pumped on that!

I went with the Tiger wheels on the left as I think they will match my trucks aftermarket wheels better and just in general look better to me. The stock Bobcat wheels are on the right.

image.png

I'm also checking to see if Skiers Choice will sell me the same cockpit Moomba LED that comes in some of the higher end line. Waiting to hear back from them on that. I might design and 3D print my own custom "MAX" emblem if the Moomba one falls through.

image.png

Tommy

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
A while back I asked if my dealer would be willing to check with Boatmate trailers to spec out my trailer with different wheels than what come stock on the Moomba Max and today I got a call from my dealer saying that Boatmate has my build number and will do the swap for me at no charge since I didn't increase the wheel size. Pumped on that!

I went with the Tiger wheels on the left as I think they will match my trucks aftermarket wheels better and just in general look better to me. The stock Bobcat wheels are on the right.

View attachment 90531

I'm also checking to see if Skiers Choice will sell me the same cockpit Moomba LED that comes in some of the higher end line. Waiting to hear back from them on that. I might design and 3D print my own custom "MAX" emblem if the Moomba one falls through.

View attachment 90537
Just wondering if you demo'd the NXT or if the looks immediately ruled it out for you? I surfed an NXT22 last summer and it was a very nice wave. The MC dealer is 15 minutes from the lake so lots of MC's here. About 3 years ago or so a dealer about 45 minutes away started selling Malibu, Axis, Nautique and Moomba. Surprisingly, they don't carry Supra. A lot of Moombas have been popping up on the lake the last 2 years. Definitely a lot for your money. Your color choices are sweet. I've enjoyed reading your posts about the process.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just wondering if you demo'd the NXT or if the looks immediately ruled it out for you? I surfed an NXT22 last summer and it was a very nice wave. The MC dealer is 15 minutes from the lake so lots of MC's here. About 3 years ago or so a dealer about 45 minutes away started selling Malibu, Axis, Nautique and Moomba. Surprisingly, they don't carry Supra. A lot of Moombas have been popping up on the lake the last 2 years. Definitely a lot for your money. Your color choices are sweet. I've enjoyed reading your posts about the process.
I never did a demo with the NXT. It just wasn't on my radar mainly due to the interior and the surf wave wouldn't have as much potential after speaking with my dealer and reading others thoughts in the NXT. I don't mind the exterior's look even though I'm not a huge fan of MC's overall design. With the NXT series I feel like you're mainly paying for a big name but the interior and overall design just doesn't seem anywhere near the level of their other X and XT series boats, which is understandable as the NXT is their budget/entry level but it just didn't do anything for me. My salesman is a huge MC fan but he never once tried to push me towards the NXT as he knew I would have wayyyy more potential for big wave surfing with the Max. I just prefer the interior and massive space in the Max for sure. If you're interested in the NXT for sure take it out on a demo along with any other hosts you might be interested in to compare them all. You'll find pro's and con's in all of them but most importantly have fun shopping them :) !

Glad you're enjoying the journey along with me. Not too much longer to go now as we are on the home stretch! I swung by my dealer over the weekend to pick up a 2019 Doomswell Nubstep board and I also asked them to get with Skiers Choice to see about getting me the LED Moomba lighting found in the Craz and Mojo boats. I should hopefully hear back on that next Tuesday.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are going to love that board. I have the Doomswell Neo and my buddy has the Nubstep. Doomswell boards are GREAT.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You are going to love that board. I have the Doomswell Neo and my buddy has the Nubstep. Doomswell boards are GREAT.
I actually went in planning to get the Neo lol. They sort of swayed me towards the Nubstep based on my previous boards and how I told them I’d like to surf. I doubt at my skill level I’d be able to tell a big difference between them. I’m sure they will be light years ahead of my Broadcast and LF Fish lol. Can’t wait to try it out!

How long have you had your Neo and any issues with it like heal dents and such? I got the 2019 model so it’s thinner and supposedly stronger. They threw in a Phase 5 board sock as well since it had a sun fade from sitting in their display window. Hopefully between the sock, my bimini surf pocket and the boards vent I won’t have any heat or delamination issues.

Last edited:

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I like my Neo but honestly like the Nubstep better. You chose well. I previously had a LF Fish and did a fair amount of riding on a friend's Broadcast. Night and day difference. You'll not probably want to ride either of those again once you get a feel for your new board - they're just sluggish and "dull" by comparison.

I've had my Neo for 3 years. No issues at all. It has one tiny dent from being dropped on the ground by a friend of mine. I keep mine in the rack on my tower most of the time but sometimes will throw it up into one of the bimini pockets if the sun isn't beating down too hard. I don't think I'd want to chance leaving it up there on a hot day, though, as it doesn't really get any aiflow in the pocket and my bimini is black.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks @OrangeTJ solid points! I’ll probably keep one of the cheaper compression molded boards for others to try. I’ll give both a try behind the boat and keep the easier riding board that works best for the Max’s wave and then sell the other board.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That's what I did. My LF Fish rides with us for beginners, as it is definitely easier to ride for those who are learning the basics.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's what I did. My LF Fish rides with us for beginners, as it is definitely easier to ride for those who are learning the basics.
Is that because of the edges being sharp-er, which makes it easier to flip it when getting up?

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The compression boards are far less buouyant than the epoxy/foam core boards like the Doomswell, so they are easier to flip and push halfway under water when getting up. Then once up, they are far less responsive and more forgiving compared to boards like the Doomswell so riders are less likely to get squirrelly and lose control.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know there have been quote a few discussions on surfboards. I started with a hl landlocked out of the gate because of my center and underseat only ballast wake and that thing rides like a tour bus. Very interested in getting something that will ride more like a sports luxury car on my now bigger but still smallish wake while still being ropeless on that smaller wake with fit and semi skilled riders up to 225lbs. I am certainly learning more in this thread with regards to board construction than I have before.

Any suggestions?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know there have been quote a few discussions on surfboards. I started with a hl landlocked out of the gate because of my center and underseat only ballast wake and that thing rides like a tour bus. Very interested in getting something that will ride more like a sports luxury car on my now bigger but still smallish wake while still being ropeless on that smaller wake with fit and semi skilled riders up to 225lbs. I am certainly learning more in this thread with regards to board construction than I have before.

Any suggestions?
We need to have you try my 59” Hyperlite Quad - I think that must be one of those epoxy boards @OrangeTJ mentioned - super fast, super buoyant, really fun.
Kate wanted something different this year, we thought of a shorter Quad. She wants something that would be easier to get up for my girls (17,14,12) as they struggle to get up on the Quad which is VERY buoyant
We ended up picking a "Shim?" by HL at a boat show last month, really curious how it rides. It is meant for smaller wake as well, but supposedly with "sharper" edges it is easier for flipping in deep water starts. We will see!

Here it is with a Yamaha Slingshot in the background, they look very similar.

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm likely going to keep the Fish as well. The Broadcast feels a little faster to respond but it's also a little harder for people to get up on being more buoyant than the Fish. Figured if we keep the Fish we'll have a cruiser boat board for people to learn and beat up on. I think I could run it over with my truck and it would still be fine lol. The only negative I had with other than being slow of course was that once the nose dipped and pearled that was it and you would go down more times than recovering. Other than that it's a very easy board for people to get up on. I'm going to try both behind the boat first and then go from there but leaning a selling the Broadcast for now.

I'm swapping out my 4'8" Nubstep as at the time we didn't realize they made volume changes for the 2019 models and we were going off the size specs for the 2018 model. I'll go with the 5'0" instead which will give me some headroom for my weight. The 2019 4'8" was max just below my 235 lbs weight.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the skim style surfboards like Phase5 Diamond. They are fast and responsive. Once you get the heel to toe edging down surfing becomes so much more enjoyable.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Sounds like a good plan. Mine is 4'10" but it is older so may have more volume for the length. I'm 215-220. I can say my 4'10" Doomswell feels like 2X as buoyant than my 5'6" LF Fish.