• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Thoughts and demo rides of wake / towsports boats: Moomba Max, Axis A22, MB Sports

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Definitely leaning towards Moomba. I want to see the Kaiyen and I like the max. Would like to buy during boatshow season. Not sir I would get a great trade in during that time.
You won't get a great trade-in during that time but you will get good deals in the new boat as that is the time to buy them. It's when I bought mine and took advantage of their boat show promo's they run. You also have to consider that if your vdrive dealer doesn't also sell jet boats then they'll be less likely to want to give you top dollar since most people coming in their lots are looking for wake boats. That being said my jetboat did not last long and ended up getting transferred out of state to their Georgia store where a member on here boat it. The wife took me by surprise when she asked if I wanted her and our daughter to come with me to the boat show. I got her inside a Max and after waffling for over a year we took the plunge and dropped my deposit down that day on a custom build. We had zero intention of actually buying a boat at the show that say it just sort of happened lol. It was a roller coaster of emotions ever since during the whole process but it's been a blast!

The day it all officially started and got the go ahead from the wife :D. Tall older guy is my awesome salesman who i had been dealing with for over a year prior and the younger guy is Drew Tinker of Skiers Choice. He's the son of Rick Tinker, owner of Skiers Choice. Really laid back guy and super nice. He handles a lot of the tours that come through the Kant as well and is very knowledgable of the process. What's cool is that these people welcome you like family. To this day I'm able to reach out to Drew just to shoot the crap or ask for something specific and he'll respond! My dealer has been equally as awesome and night/day from my previous dealer.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Pinhacker71

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Yep. I really want to build one. It would a good time for sure. Moomba dealer here sells Searay and scarab as well.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Don’t forget with the 400 you still run 89 octane but not the case with the 450 and 575.
Can you elaborate - are those not running on regular (87)?

--

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Can you elaborate - are those not running on regular (87)?

--
Sure always glad to :)

This is from my Indmar owner's manual regarding fuels in the Raptor engines.

image.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I just run standard ethanol pump gas. At 65 gallons I don't want to pay the crazy prices on the water lol. Did the same for my 192. I figure as long as you use the boat and burn the fuel not letting it sit, today's components should be able to tolerate it. So far so good :)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Oh and here is an interesting post from one of the Skiers Choice Product Development Engineers regarding the move to 1.76 trans standard and why others use a lower gear by comparison.

Originally Posted by goose View Post
Yeah, what he said. I am not sure exactly what type of "technical data" you want because I can spit a bunch of numbers out and truth is you can't probably prove them right or wrong. But what I can tell you is we spent a LOT of time driving the boats and you need to do the same. The theory behind the transmission is we were wanting to spin a bigger prop. Back in the day when boats were not as heavy and the engines did not have as much power, there was no need to spin a larger diameter prop. The boat didn't need it and the engine couldn't handle it. But now with the boats we have, the engine CAN handle it AND the boats need it. If you notice, that has definitely been the trend and we were not the only people to play with transmission ratios. The problem is everything is a tradeoff in propulsion. What we have found is the 1.76 is the best tradeoff we can see right now. With a 2.0 or larger ratio, you can run a larger prop. BUT, to get clearance under the boat you have to change the strut angle or something different. When you do that, you lose efficiency. Also, going to that requires a larger shaft, different shaft materials and other changes. If not done correctly, all that can be bad. Not trying to start any fights, but some people have had issues with that. By using the 1.76 ratio, we can turn a 15.5-16 inch prop using the same strut angles and still have proper clearance. AND with some testing, we now have 3 pitch options to go with the larger prop. For max low end, we offer the 15.5x15. For general purpose we offer the 15.5x16.5. For higher top end and lower rpm, we offer the 15.5x18.

Personally I ran the 15.5x18 all year this year. I love it! On the R&D Kaiyen I can get the boat about 43 mph unloaded and when loaded down for surfing it gets on plane good but really runs lower RPM's. The general idea is as you go down in pitch, you can get more weight on plane at wakeboarding speeds. Between the 15.5x18 and the 15.5x15, you can probably get about 1500lbs on plane with similar performance. If you are wakeboarding with 5000lbs or more and you do that often then maybe the 15.5x15 is the better prop for you. However, as you go up in pitch you gain speed AND lower rpms. You gain about 2 mph per pitch change. So, on a boat where you might get 42 or 43, the 16.5 is probably going to be about 40 and the 15 will be about 38. Also, as you go up in pitch, you lower rpms. Again, these numbers are rough, but I tell people about 200-300 rpm. So, if you are surfing at 3800 rpm with the 16.5, you would probably be closer to 3500-3600 with the 18. Again, everyone uses their boats differently, but some people on this forum have tried some of these props and you can probably get them to chine in with their personal examples also. For the way we use the boat, we surf a LOT, wakeboard with a lot of weight ONLY occasionally, and we sometimes go by water to a marina or different areas of the lake. By lowering the rpm at surfing, it is not only more efficient, but it lowers the noise. And then when it is time to get home or outrun a storm, the higher top speed is really nice. I have tried all the props and they all serve a purpose, just depends on what you want to be most important.

To sum it up again, the 400 with the 1.76 is probably similar to the 450 was with the 1.5, if not better. And with the new prop options, I think it is even more drastic. We offered the 450 with 1.76 last year and if you drove a boat with 450 vs 400 there was a HUGE difference. Now, with the 1.76 and prop options, you can get closer with just the 400. Because of that, I would imagine that most boats NOT at altitude can do fine with just the 400 with 1.76 and the right prop. If you are altitude, then you still might consider the 450 because it does have more power.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice walkthrough of the new SA. Didn't know they come with an auto-leveling system now!

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Got a peak at what my new boat will look like last night. Pretty freakin stoked how the color came out, but their gel patterns right now are so stupid though. It looks like a Picasso. Supreme used to be awesome because you were able to really customize the hull in like 4 or 5 areas. Last year they took it down to choosing the inner hull, outer hull, and one accent, and this year it's just the hull color (in and out) and the accent. Kind of a bummer, but I am guessing as a smaller volume manufacturer that it was eating up to much factory time in this hot boat market.

IMG_23791.jpg

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Helluva Max wave recently posted on the forums. Riding way back there on a clean face.

Stock ballast + 720 lb midship bags + 200 lbs lead in the bow and 200 lbs lead under rear sliding seat favored to surf side. 3 passengers onboard.

C16C05CD-D42F-4E58-ABA6-9C31FABAADFD.jpeg

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I feel like some of these pics are a bit deceptive. I know that pics I take with my iPhone make surfers look further back than they really are. For sure we are able to drop back but some of these pics make it look like the surfer is 30+ feet back. For example, in this pic from my boat the surfer was realistically probably no more than 15-20 C51EF104-934F-4C04-BD70-74C65B50909F.jpegfeet back from the transom.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
My buddy is 255lbs in this video riding a 4'8" nubstep. 1250lbs of lead and 2 people in the boat. He's about 10ft from the boat @haknslash holy moly that makai has a loooooong wave. We can make our wave much longer with more people. When we have 5 or more 250lbs of the 1250 can go up front and the wake plate can be at 35. When it's 3 or less 100 lbs up front and 20 on the wake plate. Goofy we use the same wake plate settings but bump the surf plate from 55 to 70. Also have 150 lbs extra lead on surf side.

http://instagr.am/p/B1O6l4sBRrJ/

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I feel like some of these pics are a bit deceptive. I know that pics I take with my iPhone make surfers look further back than they really are. For sure we are able to drop back but some of these pics make it look like the surfer is 30+ feet back. For example, in this pic from my boat the surfer was realistically probably no more than 15-20 View attachment 103051feet back from the transom.
dude thats far. Most of these surf boat guys I'm starting to realize like a qt pipe wave but to do that your 5-6 ft from the boat or closer. I like to be about 10-12 ft away. Big wave and still far enough away from the fucking prop lol.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Then when you have a new rider you add length to the rope and dial her down a bit. Here's amplitude at 80 and a 24ft rope. So about 16foot of rope past the boat and he's about 2-3 ft from the curl. This is my little cousin. First time rider from Texas. Said the water was freezing. It was 76 degrees lol. 15E0EB59-1C8D-41E2-964F-C86D9969983A.jpeg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ok I'll give it to Malibu this is pretty nice setup for creating some shade while in the cove. I wouldn't want it deployed in high winds or a storm but sure would be nice at times during the blazing sun days.

image.pngimage.png

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It does, but the in-hull "holders" are the key here to keep tension on those poles. I have never seen a system like this before, it looks super convenient to not have to deal with any tension cables/lines.

--