• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tips for Driving on to the Trailer

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
Since moving last fall and being on a new lake this year, I have yet to become comfortable driving on to the trailer. been out 12 times +/- and put about 35 hours on it. The new lake has courtesy docks separated from the ramps. I'm still not sure when to cut the power. I don't back down quite as far, thinking I can use the bunks to help slow me down (2mph). I get about 40% on to the trailer and the boat always seems to get pulled to the right.
Ayn tips from those off you with more experience?

Since moving last fall and being on a new lake this year, I have yet to become comfortable driving on to the trailer. been out 12 times +/- and put about 35 hours on it. The new lake has courtesy docks separated from the ramps. I'm still not sure when to cut the power. I don't back down quite as far, thinking I can use the bunks to help slow me down (2mph). I get about 40% on to the trailer and the boat always seems to get pulled to the right.
Ayn tips from those off you with more experience?
Shift from forward to reverse early and often. There is no transmission on this boat, and shifting doesn't hurt a thing.

Use No Wake Mode (NWM) at level one and leave it on while docking/trailering. This will keep thrust up, then you just have to modular fwd/rev to maintain the speed you want. You can "bump" into/out of "gear" as much as often as you need. Forward will steer the bow, Reverse will steer the transom. COme in slow, then bump into reverse and "slide" the rear around to keep aligned. Then bump into forward again to move forward.

It's all about momentum management. With NWM enabled you can add/remove momentum and speed from your course at will. It's not a car and won't "jerk" when you transition. You can (and should) go forward with some speed, then put it in reverse. You'll still physically move forward, but you'll start slowing. Once you're near a standstill, or the speed you want, bump back into forward.

It is also completely acceptable to be in NWM, at any level, and be in neutral. Doesn't hurt anything. Should be really close to a "neutral" position with little to no movement.

Practice all this around a buoy or other floating thing. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to pull off some impressive maneuvers. For instance, my wife trailers/launches our boat. When she picks me up at the ramp she comes it at about a 60deg angle, with NWM in level 2. She cuts hard to the side and hits reverse. This "slide" the transom of the boat over and lets her "back up" to the dock. She keeps it in reverse until she's close to where I can step on, and as I do, she slides the controller into forward and away we go. No need for me to do anything but step off the dock onto the swim platform.

Also, keep in mind there are TWO detents in forward. The first is "Thrust Directional Enhancement" or TDE. You can use this when you want small amounts of forward thrust, but still want to maintain direction control. @haknslash did a great thread on this. Have a look.--> https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-i-use-no-wake-mode-and-tde-to-retrieve-my-boat.17161/

Are you alone, or do you have a helper?

I have a helper. Backing down is going to be entirely dependent on the ramp, and you may have to back up further, or pull out further. Try both to see what works. Pulling to the right may be due to your point of view while in the boat, and your field of vision being tied to the side you're on. Try standing in the middle of the boat while you're slowly headed onto the trailer.

If you have a helper, once you have the boat on for your 40%, kill the engine and have them hook the winch strap on, then go back on your swim deck. If you're back far enough, you'll be able to move/bounce around enough to get your boat to sit nicely as your helper cranks the winch.

One more thing that will help tremendously are guide posts. They cut down the fiddling by a lot. They also give you a place to let out some of the winch strap, and hook to the top of the guide post, so you can quickly hook up to the trailer, and then crank the slack up. If I get a chance, I can snap a pic this weekend to show you what I mean - drop a comment on Saturday to remind me LOL

I launch/retrieve multiple times a week by my self.

I just drive it on up, usually one click forward on FWD neutral. If it's a windy day I will back out and come up with a little more speed. In either case once the boat aligns on the bunks I give it one good rev to get me close to the bow stop, kill engine, jump off the front, then winch it the rest of the way. On a 19 foot boat is it pretty easy. Even the 25 is pretty easy.

Shift from forward to reverse early and often. There is no transmission on this boat, and shifting doesn't hurt a thing.

Use No Wake Mode (NWM) at level one and leave it on while docking/trailering. This will keep thrust up, then you just have to modular fwd/rev to maintain the speed you want. You can "bump" into/out of "gear" as much as often as you need. Forward will steer the bow, Reverse will steer the transom. COme in slow, then bump into reverse and "slide" the rear around to keep aligned. Then bump into forward again to move forward.

It's all about momentum management. With NWM enabled you can add/remove momentum and speed from your course at will. It's not a car and won't "jerk" when you transition. You can (and should) go forward with some speed, then put it in reverse. You'll still physically move forward, but you'll start slowing. Once you're near a standstill, or the speed you want, bump back into forward.

It is also completely acceptable to be in NWM, at any level, and be in neutral. Doesn't hurt anything. Should be really close to a "neutral" position with little to no movement.

Practice all this around a buoy or other floating thing. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to pull off some impressive maneuvers. For instance, my wife trailers/launches our boat. When she picks me up at the ramp she comes it at about a 60deg angle, with NWM in level 2. She cuts hard to the side and hits reverse. This "slide" the transom of the boat over and lets her "back up" to the dock. She keeps it in reverse until she's close to where I can step on, and as I do, she slides the controller into forward and away we go. No need for me to do anything but step off the dock onto the swim platform.

Also, keep in mind there are TWO detents in forward. The first is "Thrust Directional Enhancement" or TDE. You can use this when you want small amounts of forward thrust, but still want to maintain direction control. @haknslash did a great thread on this. Have a look.--> https://jetboaters.net/threads/how-i-use-no-wake-mode-and-tde-to-retrieve-my-boat.17161/
Very good post. I often have trouble trying to go from 2mph to 1mph in NWM. Even in the first click/detent position the screen doesn't always indicate "No Wake Mode". Appreciate the reply.

Last edited:
There may be some kind of current that keeps pulling you to the right. If so, those guide posts mentioned above will come in handy. The only consideration I can add to this is to think about how far you put your trailer in the water. If too far, you’ll just float. I have my bunks out of the water about a foot.

Very good post. I often have trouble trying to go from 2mph to 1mph in NWM. Even in the first click/detent position the screen doesn't always in "No Wake Mode". Appreciate the reply.
Use that Forward/Reverse swap as often as you like. It's just your hand moving and some cables moving the reverse bucket on rear of the boat. No mechanical damage to be done at NWM thrust levels. It's helps A LOT to wrap your head around using both directions as often as you need as well as forward steers the bow, reverse steers the stern.

Also, if you're coming in hot and need to STOP, slam that throttle in reverse. Try this away from the dock/trailer the first time, but if you're at say 4-5mph and need to STOP, just slam it back for a few seconds. It makes a LOT of noise, but will stop the boat and not damage anything.

TO make sure it's clear, I've gone from 40mph in forward to full throttle reverse before. The boat just sits right down and stops, and you still have control over direction by steering the stern with the reverse thrust. You literally can't hurt the thing with throttle and direction changes on the controls. Do that on a regular I/O or Outboard and there would be all kinds of issues. The jet drive doesn't care a bit.

Are you alone, or do you have a helper?

I have a helper. Backing down is going to be entirely dependent on the ramp, and you may have to back up further, or pull out further. Try both to see what works. Pulling to the right may be due to your point of view while in the boat, and your field of vision being tied to the side you're on. Try standing in the middle of the boat while you're slowly headed onto the trailer.

If you have a helper, once you have the boat on for your 40%, kill the engine and have them hook the winch strap on, then go back on your swim deck. If you're back far enough, you'll be able to move/bounce around enough to get your boat to sit nicely as your helper cranks the winch.

One more thing that will help tremendously are guide posts. They cut down the fiddling by a lot. They also give you a place to let out some of the winch strap, and hook to the top of the guide post, so you can quickly hook up to the trailer, and then crank the slack up. If I get a chance, I can snap a pic this weekend to show you what I mean - drop a comment on Saturday to remind me LOL
Thie misses is with me 99.9% of the time. We are working on her trailer backing abilities and while not comfortable yet, she is doing good. Yes, we do have guideposts, which actually I just replaced, because I snapped them off in part due to heavy wind of an incoming T-storm and I had the steering wheel turned the wrong way when I put it in reverse.

Have been backing down till the fender wells are level with the waterline as opposed to 2-3 inches below when launching. Will try not backing down quite so far.

Use that Forward/Reverse swap as often as you like. It's just your hand moving and some cables moving the reverse bucket on rear of the boat. No mechanical damage to be done at NWM thrust levels. It's helps A LOT to wrap your head around using both directions as often as you need as well as forward steers the bow, reverse steers the stern.

Also, if you're coming in hot and need to STOP, slam that throttle in reverse. Try this away from the dock/trailer the first time, but if you're at say 4-5mph and need to STOP, just slam it back for a few seconds. It makes a LOT of noise, but will stop the boat and not damage anything.

TO make sure it's clear, I've gone from 40mph in forward to full throttle reverse before. The boat just sits right down and stops, and you still have control over direction by steering the stern with the reverse thrust. You literally can't hurt the thing with throttle and direction changes on the controls. Do that on a regular I/O or Outboard and there would be all kinds of issues. The jet drive doesn't care a bit.
Definitely not alternating between forward and reverse enough.

Thie misses is with me 99.9% of the time. We are working on her trailer backing abilities and while not comfortable yet, she is doing good. Yes, we do have guideposts, which actually I just replaced, because I snapped them off in part due to heavy wind of an incoming T-storm and I had the steering wheel turned the wrong way when I put it in reverse.
Are you guys first time boat owners?

If so I HIGHLY recommend taking a random Tuesday off work and taking the boat to the ramp with just you and her. Spend time loading and unloading and practicing backing pulling out, parking, and retrieving. The time you spend to learn your particular system, learn the equipment, and learn each others communication patterns the more like a pro you'll look when you're on the ramp on a busy holiday weekend. It is SOO SOO SOO worth your time to practice without other people around to heckle or really give a crap. Nobody waiting on you, you can take your time and concentrate on learning your boat and trailering setup and routines. Take some sandwiches and drinks and have some fun on the water while you're there, but spend some time practicing. You'll be glad you did.

Also, let the wife try the boat a few times and you do the truck/trailer a few times. Then discuss who likes doing what part, and focus on specializing in that regard. I think in 6 seasons, I've loaded my boat like 4 times. Wife does it every time, and is really good at it. She has some interest in learning to do the truck/trailer portion, but in general doesn't like the stress of the tight parking spaces, and the tight launch ramps. She prefers the boat where any collisions are gonna be soft and gentle and she can see them coming from a long ways off.

Final words of wisdom. Patience is key here. You're into boating to be relaxing, don't lose that chill at the ramp. Take your time, and you do you. Don't let others pressure you or knock you off your game because they're in a hurry or otherwise having a bad day. If it takes 4 tries to get on the trailer, so what? You're out like 10-15min, and a little hit to the pride. No big deal. When my wife comes in with the boat I just stand there quietly with the winch hook in hand and some slack. I don't talk or coach unless she asks me to. She's got this and I don't need to "help" at any level. If she's not comfy with the situation, she backs out and tries again. We've hit it first try on Memorial Day Saturday rush hour on the ramp, and we've taken 6+ tries on the Ohio at night with current and waves by ourselves. It is what it is, no need to be upset about any of that right?

When launching and retrieving my boat (SX195) that is very similar to yours, my trailer fenders need to be fully submerged to launch the boat and retrieve it. I also found the steering fins I put on help dramatically and slow speeds, especially when approaching the dock and trailer.

Are you guys first time boat owners?

If so I HIGHLY recommend taking a random Tuesday off work and taking the boat to the ramp with just you and her. Spend time loading and unloading and practicing backing pulling out, parking, and retrieving. The time you spend to learn your particular system, learn the equipment, and learn each others communication patterns the more like a pro you'll look when you're on the ramp on a busy holiday weekend. It is SOO SOO SOO worth your time to practice without other people around to heckle or really give a crap. Nobody waiting on you, you can take your time and concentrate on learning your boat and trailering setup and routines. Take some sandwiches and drinks and have some fun on the water while you're there, but spend some time practicing. You'll be glad you did.

Also, let the wife try the boat a few times and you do the truck/trailer a few times. Then discuss who likes doing what part, and focus on specializing in that regard. I think in 6 seasons, I've loaded my boat like 4 times. Wife does it every time, and is really good at it. She has some interest in learning to do the truck/trailer portion, but in general doesn't like the stress of the tight parking spaces, and the tight launch ramps. She prefers the boat where any collisions are gonna be soft and gentle and she can see them coming from a long ways off.

Final words of wisdom. Patience is key here. You're into boating to be relaxing, don't lose that chill at the ramp. Take your time, and you do you. Don't let others pressure you or knock you off your game because they're in a hurry or otherwise having a bad day. If it takes 4 tries to get on the trailer, so what? You're out like 10-15min, and a little hit to the pride. No big deal. When my wife comes in with the boat I just stand there quietly with the winch hook in hand and some slack. I don't talk or coach unless she asks me to. She's got this and I don't need to "help" at any level. If she's not comfy with the situation, she backs out and tries again. We've hit it first try on Memorial Day Saturday rush hour on the ramp, and we've taken 6+ tries on the Ohio at night with current and waves by ourselves. It is what it is, no need to be upset about any of that right?
1st time boat owners, but had a jet ski for 18 seasons.

Is it leaning to the right or actually going crooked on the trailer? It should straighten out once you get on further and the bunks are all making contact.
In a 19’ your weight might be enough to make it lean a little to starboard so those bunks would hit first, but it shouldn’t stay that way. Wet bunks will help it slide like @sunbyrned suggested.
In my old much lighter aluminum boat (1500lbs) I had to stand in the middle of the boat and reach over to the controls when loading to get on my trailer straight.

I’ve also started spraying the spots on my bunks that I can tell are rubbing a lot with silicone spray every few times I go out and that has helped with getting on and off the trailer easier.

That's a woman to be proud of.......I love women that can get shit done!!!

Are you allowed to power load?
Buy looking at this video and reading the comments, I'm probably backed in a little too far.

I don’t think I could get on my trailer at that depth @buckbuck is at.
Lots of variables but that seems like a similar ramp angle to what I deal with and I have to get the fenders almost totally underwater. I’m jealous of how easy that looked.

There is no definitive marker for proper trailer depth. All depends on the angle of the ramp. You need to be deep enough for the bunks to engage the boat and self level on the trailer. If you are worrying about something stopping the boat you are too deep. I can't help you if you can't power load. Wade out in the water and winch it on?? I never shift from forward to reverse....or even to neutral. I use short burst of single throttle and direction needed. Once the boat engages the bunks and is totally straight I use throttle to pull all the way up to the bow eye.

Back