• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Tips for Driving on to the Trailer

All good advice here. Back up until the bunks are submerged. And keep going between forward and reverse to modulate your speed and direction. If you're not switching at least 10+ times then you're probably not doing it enough. I can pull it off with 40+ mph gusts as I just did it on Sunday without too much problems. Once the boat is on the trailer, I climb over the bow down on to the tongue of the trailer to winch it up.

This is how I do it solo. Start at the 2 minute mark. The ramp n clamp is great for solo recovery along with cobra jet fins and guide poles. I bought and use whatever I can to make boating easier.

Once you get the trailer depth right at your home ramp recovery becomes really easy. Most of the time I don’t even move a NWM speed when approaching the trailer, just idle forward.

if your trailer is too high the bunks will align the bow eye with the bow roller (ramp n clamp in my case) but you may have to use more throttle or winching to get to the bow stop / roller.

if your trailer is too low, the bow eye and bow roller/stop won’t align and the bunks won’t help. The solution is to pull the trailer out of the ramp a little.

trailer guides are also a must.

Last edited:
Are you allowed to power load?

@kgower My daughters do nearly all the launch and recovery because I do the trailering. Our older boat has an advantage of the lower bow so they can lean over and do the connections without having to stand on the trailer. I don't think you can do that with the newer boats.
By the way, we have found that using the boat horn is an effective way to signal to me (the truck driver) to proceed to the next step in our procedure.
Back to water and stop...daughter unhooks bow straps and beeps horn...I know to finish backing into water.
Boat reverses past trailer...beeps horn...I know I can safely pull trailer out.
Power load boat on trailer and hook up bow straps...beeps horn... I know it is safe to pull the boat out.

Like others have said there are a number of variables you will deal with. Just develop your own procedure that works for you and let it become muscle memory.

This is how I do it solo. Start at the 2 minute mark. The ramp n clamp is great for solo recovery along with cobra jet fins and guide poles. I bought and use whatever I can to make boating easier.

Once you get the trailer depth right at your home ramp recovery becomes really easy. Most of the time I don’t even move a NWM speed when approaching the trailer, just idle forward.

if your trailer is too high the bunks will align the bow eye with the bow roller (ramp n clamp in my case) but you may have to use more throttle or winching to get to the bow stop / roller.

if your trailer is too low, the bow eye and bow roller/stop won’t align and the bunks won’t help. The solution is to pull the trailer out of the ramp a little.

trailer guides are also a must.
Have trailer guides and Cobra Jets. I've never driven the boat without them.

I put the trailer fenders just under the surface for launching and retrieving. The boat backs off the trailer with just switching to reverse at idle.

I put the tailgate down when retrieving, On non windy days I approach slowly and let the bunks straighten the boat then use power to push it up to the roller, leaving the engines in full idle ahead, then jump onto the tailgate and winch it up tight.

Windy days call for a bit more aggressive approach, I’ve found that so,it ting the throttles does not work on windy days, so both throttles together and use the wheel. I also leave the most forward fender a little ways out of the water, this puts bunks up a bit higher. I make my approach faster to give the wind less time to push the boat around, if it’s really windy I’ll go faster still, in both cases use reverse thrust to slow the boat at the last moment, then just kiss the bunks. I’ll then power it onto the trailer a bit further, leave it in idle ahead and then slowly back the trailer a bit and let the thrust push it up further, then winch it the rest of the way.

It just takes a lot of practice to know how aggressive you need to be. The biggest challenge I have had so far was 40 mph winds gusting abeam.. the pucker factor was high that day. I had to make more than one attempt as I got pushed on the initial attempt. It kind of jostled a bit on the bunks as I came onto the trailer at a 30° angled but it settled in nicely.

Try finding somewhere on the water where you can practice in calm and adverse conditions.. I sometimes use open slips at the docks to practice on.

Back