• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing Water Shut Off Valve

mkbcaptain

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Right after we bought our boat, I asked the dealer about this. I asked why Yamaha didn't include the valves, and inquired what it would take to outfit our boat with them as an emergency precaution, especially given they are very inexpensive valves. He said he didn't know for sure why Yamaha doesn't include them and speculated that they were possibly worried someone would turn them off by mistake and destroy the engine. He also wisely advised me to drop the idea of having them installed as that mod would likely void our warranty immediately.

I took his advice, and carry hose shutoff clamps instead like the others suggested.
I have never, not once, even for a second, stopped to consider this. Even if it wasn't the cause of an issue, having them on there seems like a perfect situation for Yamaha to have a legit point to deny a warranty claim, since you wouldn't be able to prove you did OR did NOT have them closed, and Yamaha could fall back on "this item could have contributed to this, and you can't show us one way or the other that it didn't, so...DENIED!"

I had my clamps before we ever picked up the boat because I didn't think I'd be getting to this too quickly, and you've made an awesome case for me to skip doing this! The manual even mentions clamping off the hose with a pliers or some sort of hose clamp, so I'd be following Yamaha's direction with my pliers. Seems like that's my best option, to keep doing what I've been doing. Laziness pays off! Thanks!

With those pinch off pliers you guys are showing....is it ok that they don’t pinch off the hose completely? the clamp doesn’t look parallel .... is the pinch enough to prevent back flow during towing or limping?
As you tighten them down on the hose, the lack of parallel won't be an issue, the "closed" end in those pics will be closer to parallel when they're put into actual use. I've used those for different lines on vehicles I've worked on, and they worked well enough to kink an old hose I was using them on - it should have been replaced anyway, and they don't have to be closed enough to stop all water, just slow the flow enough to make the highly unlikely even of backflow to the engine an even smaller possibliity.

If you're worried about it, there's more options out there. Here's a link to my Gear Wrench shutoff pliers that I use. The jaws swivel, so no matter what angle you're at, they'll at least be parallel to each other, and they can easily be used one-handed. The arc piece is a toothed part that essentially ratchets and holds position as you close it, so if you need to regrip it, it'll stay in place and you won't require that second hand and liberal swearing (more than you'll already be doing).

If you follow your garden hose wash connector down into the engine bay (usually it's a red hose) it will come to a " Y " fitting,
clamp after the Y if you just want to prevent water flow while towing,
if you want to clamp to help with pressure during garden hose fresh water flushing clamp on the hose from coming from the jet nozzle before the Y fitting
Sonofab.... I winterized my boat twice already, and it never dawned on me to do this (or I didn't remember it)! I bookmarked your post so I can forget to look at it next winter 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

AuburnVFR

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
+1 on plastic hose clamp pliers, as I am not crazy about adding a fail points in a pressurized water line. I even put colored electrical tape on the line so I don't have to question where to put them when out on the water. I figure if it comes to the point of needing them, I'll be stressed out enough.

Mrkheiser

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
sorry I'm to lazy to find a picture or link to post,

our FAQ has a great write up with pictures,

If you follow your garden hose wash connector down into the engine bay (usually it's a red hose) it will come to a " Y " fitting,
clamp after the Y if you just want to prevent water flow while towing,
if you want to clamp to help with pressure during garden hose fresh water flushing clamp on the hose from coming from the jet nozzle before the Y fitting

Would I clamp before or after the Y to flush while floating ?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To flush i would clamp on the stern (intake) side of the y

If you clamp forward no flush water gets to the engine

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was never under warranty so warranty was not a concern for me. I had the boat in a situation where I wanted to flush while in the water. These allowed me to do that. I close them even when flushing in dry land now, there is a good increase in pressure and the pissers are active right away.

To set clear expectations on what you can expect for warranty service talk to others receiving the service. It can vary GREATLY from one dealer to the next, and very very few are impressed by the service, and only a very few find it acceptable. It is not rare for repairs to take months. If you really want them and are concerned on warranty you could use the pinch pliers until the warranty expires.

I'll say it's very rare to tow beyond slow speed anyway. The real purpose of the valve, in my opinion, if you can pull it off, is to plane on a single engine to get home faster if you do have a problem with the other one. I've done it. It's not a piece of cake, You have to redistribute the load, and hope a little...but it can be done depending on the situation you are in and the load you are carrying.

yam240sx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
nobody is talking about the benefit of slip flushing with valves installed !