• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you guys do your Tesla service, looking at the map Saint Louis has no service centers, the closes one would be KC.

--

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@thefortunes what's the deal with tire availability for Teslas, is this really an issue, I have heard that thrown around as a potential con for buying a Tesla, parts and even tires are super special and can be hard to get. I find that hard to believe, at least with the tires.

--
How do you guys do your Tesla service, looking at the map Saint Louis has no service centers, the closes one would be KC.

--
I haven't seen a problem with tire availability. You can get them from Tesla, but I get them from Tire Rack or Discount Tire.

My Roadster tires are a little specialized, but I doubt that is what you are looking for.

Parts are another story, however. I haven't experienced it, but from what I read if you are in an accident it can take significant time to get the repair parts.

Service is one of my favorites. First, you really don't need much, if any.

If you do need service and there is not a service center within a reasonable distance they have mobile service that will do almost anything at your home or office. No additional charge.

I do see a service center in Chesterfield, MO for you.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Service....on a Tesla? There's not much to do. Fill up the windshield wiper fluid as needed, change out the brake fluid like you would any other vehicle (interval dependent on humidity), change tires at a normal tire shop like Discount or Costco. That's about it. Oh, there are the filters for the cabin and a desiccant pack for the cabin AC, but those you can do yourself.

There are two other fluids, one that circulates through the battery pack which I understand is a glycol coolant, and then a gear/differential box integrated with the motor, which I hear is an automatic transmission fluid. My understanding is both those are GM spec, but that's just a rumor and I could be wrong. When I was shopping for coolant for my Nissan, I noticed one of the Valvoline gallons listed Tesla on the compatibility list, so shouldn't be hard to get those down the line. Tesla says they're lifetime. I never believe that kind of talk and will probably drain and fill them myself at 100,000 miles to be on the safe side.

If you need warranty repair, then you can either use a Tesla service center, or if there aren't any near you, call a Tesla ranger. I was in Germany last week and there were a couple of rangers staying in the same hotel as I was in.

Edit: I hear parts supply is much better these days now that Model 3 production is mostly keeping up with demand. I imagine Model Y and the future Cybertruck demand could compete with aftermarket parts demand depending on how well they ramp up the gigafactories. The new one in China should help, and sounds like one will be built in Germany.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@thefortunes what's the deal with tire availability for Teslas, is this really an issue, I have heard that thrown around as a potential con for buying a Tesla, parts and even tires are super special and can be hard to get. I find that hard to believe, at least with the tires.

--
I won't say a big issue but yes tires can be issues. My model X has the upgraded 21 or 22 inch wheels (sorry I don't have it here in front of me) I took a nail in my rear tire and no one local to me had the tire it happened on a Saturday and I was not able to drive the car again till Tuesday evening after the tire arrived and was installed.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Service does not equal maintenance.

Let's assume that Tesla's are not immune to things that can go bad or fail. I know, it's a stretch to imagine ....but bare with me boys. What do you do if the fancy door handles need to be fixed (seems this is a known common part that fails), air conditioner not functioning properly, one of the many sensors on the car fails for some reason (because the car is all electric and we all know that nothing electric ever fails lol), a rattle in the interior somewhere, suspension issues, brake issues, wiper motors, electric motor issues etc just regular every day things that can and do fail?

These are normal service things that arise with any car no matter how high end. Surely a Tesla as cheap as they look built will have issues arise once the miles begin to pack on. I refuse to believe that there will not be a percentage of buyers who never ever steps foot back into a Tesla service department at some point in the cars lifetime or have to come up with alternative means of service (DIY or specialty EV shop).

Sure it doesn't have an engine or transmission but everything else mechanically that does wear or need to be serviced over time like a regular car is still on a Tesla. Unless of course these things are made out of Terminator T2 unobtanium alloy and don't wear or fail.

Special tires???? Damn Elon I hear ya lol. That guy is smart and knows how to hook line and sinker a customer if you truly have to replace special Tesla tires (the most prone item to wear on these things). Genius way to keep that revenue stream coming long after point of sale lol.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm gonna guess the tires are just large diameter runflats. Aunt had a BMW X5 and had a similar problem finding tires. She traded that vehicle away for that reason alone. My RX8 didn't have a spare, but didn't have runflats either. Had some "Slime" and a small compressor in the trunk. Neat little kit from Mazda. I hated what Slime did to a set of wheels, so I had it towed the 2 times I had a flat I couldn't address where I was. My Audi however, had a complete full size, MATCHING wheel, setup in the trunk. Ideal solution IMO.

No Tesla service center in Louisville, KY for me either. Actually not a single one in KY, and only one in IN. Gonna be a minimum 90-120min drive to get to the nearest one for me....Either Cincy, or Indy. Source Whats the "self service" like on a Tesla? Can I change the fluids myself with regular hand tools? Anything special about swapping that coolant, brake fluid, or diff fluid? Any feedback on how Tesla handles warranty if the services are DIY'd and recorded properly?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The gas tank is 24gal, IIRC, I get anywhere between 9-11mpg towing, I think I saw 12 one time.
I start looking for gas stations at 150mile mark, towing. Not great, and one thing that's annoying about the truck, and something I miss about Q7 TDI which had about double the range. Tundras can go up to 30+ gal tanks, and many LC200 owners install aftermarket aux tanks, I have no interest.

--
I remember now. You've explained that to me in the past, I had forgotten. My apologies for repeated questions.

My range isn't quite as bad. I have a 26gal tank, have run it below "E" a few times, and never put more than 22gal in it. I've gone 300mi on a single tank with the boat in tow (wife and boys were asleep, and I was pushing for time). I'm curious how well the truck would do with a heavier boat like a 240 on the back. My 190 is pretty light and doesn't stress the truck much at all. Guessing aero wise it wouldn't be much different, just a shade taller, but the weight would be a decent impact.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You guys aren't reading.

If there isn't a service center near you, THEY COME DO THE SERVICE AT YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS.

No additional charge.

Regarding tires, Tesla does not use runflats. They give/sell you a slime/inflator kit which (knock on wood) I haven't had to use in 150k miles.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Service does not equal maintenance.

Let's assume that Tesla's are not immune to things that can go bad or fail. I know, it's a stretch to imagine ....but bare with me boys. What do you do if the fancy door handles need to be fixed (seems this is a known common part that fails)
No I won’t step into a service center for a common repair they come to me and fix it at my house or work but common things do break like in every car.

As for the quality this one was a surprise for me as buying a used Tesla is done site unseen basically and after hearing how poor quality the interiors were and all the gap panel issues I fully expected it to be a poorly put together car and I was shocked how nice the interior of mine is and how well everything seems put together. This could be an advantage of buying used from Tesla as maybe the prior owner may have had everything fixed. I may feel different in a few years about the quality but I fully plan to trade the car before the warranty runs out in 2024.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think a few key things get missed in the Tesla conversation. The reason Tesla sells so many electric vehicles compared to the major auto makers is Tesla knows the current electric vehicle consumer the major manufactures are still trying to figure it out but have not yet for some reason.

Electric vehicles are still too expensive with not enough range to be practical cars for the average consumer but we are getting closer on range. Tesla doesn't sell cars like the Nissan Leaf, Chevy Volt, VW E-Golf or the Ford Focus electric these are not desirable cars for your current electric car consumer due to them not having enough range and they don't appeal to your average car consumer because they are to expensive for what they are.

What Tesla sells are quirky eccentric luxury vehicles and if you don't believe that go get in a model S or X it will change your mind. These were designed to target 6 figure plus house holds that were going to have plenty of disposable income and own multiple cars and for the most part it has worked they are not main stream but neither are electric vehicles at this time. For this group of people it makes sense they are not going to daily tow with a model X or a Tesla truck when it comes out later they are going to tow with what ever gas truck they have bought just for that purpose. I'm the perfect example my wife traded my tow vehicle to buy the Model X and I started this thread being curious if it was worth towing with but have since decided I'm going to just add to the fleet and buy an F250 just as an extra vehicle just for towing.

The model 3 some see as the exception to this rule but I don't see that either. What the model 3 did was make a car that was affordable enough that people at the lower end of that 6 figure income bracket to be able to afford as a second or third vehicle. Sure there are some out there that only have a model 3 as a car but the reality is the only time its less convenient then a gas car is on an extended road trip over 200 miles. The reality is for 95% of the time for most the driving experience is far more convenient no more stopping at a gas station for my wife and having random strangers come up to her and ask for money no more her running late with the kids to school and realizing she didn't stop for gas the day before and now needs to stop no more standing in the 30 degree or 100 degree weather pumping gas for her.

The basic reason Tesla sells more cars then the others is the targeted the correct audience and that audience isn't really worried about how long the car takes to charge on a road trip or what it will be like towing in a 700 mile road trip with one because they will never do those things they will take their gas vehicle in those instances. They also are not interested in a Nissan leaf that does 0-60 in 7.4 seconds but a Model S that does 0-60 in 2.4 seconds yes they will take that as a third car. These cars were really marketed to that person who had the extra income to buy a luxury sports car as a second or third vehicle. I expect the Jaguar and the Porsche vehicles to show this as I expect in time the will be better received in the long run versus the current offering the other major manufactures are offering.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You guys aren't reading.

If there isn't a service center near you, THEY COME DO THE SERVICE AT YOUR HOME OR BUSINESS.

No additional charge.

Regarding tires, Tesla does not use runflats. They give/sell you a slime/inflator kit which (knock on wood) I haven't had to use in 150k miles.
I'm reading just fine, was just commenting on the lack of a service center near me. Didn't say it was a problem.

Still no answer to my DIY questions. Any thoughts?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Gonna be a minimum 90-120min drive to get to the nearest one for me....
I'm reading just fine, was just commenting on the lack of a service center near me. Didn't say it was a problem.

Still no answer to my DIY questions. Any thoughts?
I'm not going to get back into an argument with you. This is why I stopped posting in this thread in the first place.

If you read mine (and others') comments about the mobile service, then you are either not comprehending or just continuing to attempt to spread disinformation (is that better than FUD)?

I'll type it again... NEITHER YOU (OR ANYONE ELSE) HAS TO DRIVE 90-120 MINUTES FOR SERVICE. THEY COME TO YOU.

Per Tesla, you can do almost any service yourself and it does not void the warranty (as long as you did it correctly, with spec'd parts/fluids, and didn't cause a problem). You cannot do any service to the battery or drive unit, however, and maintain your warranty.

I have personally:
1) Repaired one of the door handles on the S (the placement of the wiring harness on the originals was poorly designed and a wire could break) for about $2 and 30 minutes of my time
2) Replaced the front brake pads on the S (I think they were about $35 - nothing special there)
3) Upgraded all brake pads on the Roadster (to a better compound, as the originals were the same as what was on the Elise and the Roadster weighs about 850# more)
4) Upgraded to an adjustable suspension on the Roadster. Significantly better performance and comfort. (This required assistance from a friend with a lift).
5) Replaced some isolation material and IGBTs In the Power Electronics Module on the Roadster. This would be an action that would void my warranty as it is considered part of the drivetrain.
6) Switched summer/winter tires, rotated, etc...

Our Roadster is out of warranty (8 years old) and the S still has the 8yr/unlimited mile drivetrain warranty.

ETA: Regarding Teslas being 2nd or 3rd vehicles... We just sold our SUV that we used about 2k miles per year (needed it 2-3 times per year but occasionally drove it otherwise just to keep it running) and bought a Model 3.

We now are a 3 Tesla, no other vehicle household. I'm sure in some of your minds that makes us "fanboys." As I have stated previously, if there were other comparable/better EV options I would be happy to look elsewhere. There just aren't atm.

For the 2-3 times a year that we may need to tow, we will just borrow a friend's (most likely the family member to whom we sold the SUV) or rent.

Last edited:

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ETA: Regarding Teslas being 2nd or 3rd vehicles... We just sold our SUV that we used about 2k miles per year (needed it 2-3 times per year but occasionally drove it otherwise just to keep it running) and bought a Model 3.

We now are a 3 Tesla, no other vehicle household. I'm sure in some of your minds that makes us "fanboys." As I have stated previously, if there were other comparable/better EV options I would be happy to look elsewhere. There just aren't atm.

For the 2-3 times a year that we may need to tow, we will just borrow a friend's (most likely the family member to whom we sold the SUV) or rent.
This doesn’t make you a fan boy this makes you Tesla’s targeted consumer as I mentioned in my post above. You obviously have enough disposable income to have three vehicles one being a gas car until recently but even with out the gas car you realize you will have to rent or borrow a gas vehicle from time to time but have enough disposable income for that not to be a worry. You my good sir are Tesla’s targeted audience and you have been sold on it by them nothing wrong with that and that for sure doesn’t mean your a fan boy.

This is also why Tesla our sells more vehicles then the others as mentioned because this is not practical or affordable for 80% of people but yet the other manufactures keep trying to make practcle versions of EV’s. If Ford made an ev that did 370 miles range and a 3 second 0-60 and loaded with features and tech and a crazy cool design it might be something you would consider but a Ford Focus electric car with 8 second 0-60 and 120 mile range is laughable to you it doesn’t mater if it cost 28,000 brand new correct?

Last edited:

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This doesn’t make you a fan boy this makes you Tesla’s targeted consumer as I mentioned in my post above. You obviously have enough disposable income to have three vehicles one being a gas car until recently but even with out the gas car you realize you will have to rent or borrow a gas vehicle from time to time but have enough disposable income for that not to be a worry. You my good sir are Tesla’s targeted audience and you have been sold on it by them nothing wrong with that and that for sure doesn’t mean your a fan boy.

This is also why Tesla our sells more vehicles then the others as mentioned because this is not practical or affordable for 80% of people but yet the other manufactures keep trying to make practcle versions of EV’s. If Ford made an ev that did 370 miles range and a 3 second 0-60 and loaded with features and tech and a crazy cool design it might be something you would consider but a Ford Focus electric car with 8 second 0-60 and 120 mile range is laughable to you it doesn’t mater if it cost 28,000 brand new correct?
You are correct, with a couple minor exceptions that I think are important.

The savings that we will have from going all electric (approximately $700-1000 per year, per vehicle, in gas vs electricity) will more than fund any required rental.

For a 3rd car I did not need nor want the performance and range that the other two cars have. So the Ford Focus, Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf (or others) may have been an acceptable solution. I just didn't see the value proposition of any other EV vs the Model 3.

In addition, in our situation, the new car will probably become my wife's and our youngest will drive the S that has 135k miles on it. Quite a bit nicer than my first car - a Ford Pinto I bought for $100.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@thefortunes you're exactly right. I can't read. I'm a great big dummy that doesn't understand mobile service. While mobile service isn't a problem, it doesn't change the fact that there isn't one within a 90min drive from me. Perhaps you can't read?

Thank you for finally answering the DIY question.

Another question. Have ever owned a full-size pickup? Have you used one? You clearly have the means to have multiple vehicles and only tow a few times a year, by your own admission. As someone that put a shade over 5k miles on my trailer last year, and has lived with a full-size pickup for several years......I'm convinced you are not seeing our side of towing with an EV just as equally as you are convinced that we're being unrealistic about EV. I quite literally drive a Swiss Army knife every day. Your asking me buy in on an idea that hobbles that versatility in a very major way, with the only real selling point being reduced maintenance and lower fuel prices. Do you see the problem with that side of the argument? If all I needed was a commuter car, or a road trip car I would go buy a cheap economy car (and I did for a few years), however I instead chose to equip myself with a vehicle that I can use as a tool for just about any situation, at any time for any reason. I use that capability on a regular basis. At least once a month on average I have 300+ mile days, and I often have a 4k trailer with me. There isn't an EV available currently that can match that. Period.

I appreciate you input, but I've not yet seen a good convincing reason that it works for me. Want to trade my Sierra for your Model X for a month this summer? I'll buy all the gas.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@thefortunes you're exactly right. I can't read. I'm a great big dummy that doesn't understand mobile service. While mobile service isn't a problem, it doesn't change the fact that there isn't one within a 90min drive from me. Perhaps you can't read?

Thank you for finally answering the DIY question.

Another question. Have ever owned a full-size pickup? Have you used one? You clearly have the means to have multiple vehicles and only tow a few times a year, by your own admission. As someone that put a shade over 5k miles on my trailer last year, and has lived with a full-size pickup for several years......I'm convinced you are not seeing our side of towing with an EV just as equally as you are convinced that we're being unrealistic about EV. I quite literally drive a Swiss Army knife every day. Your asking me buy in on an idea that hobbles that versatility in a very major way, with the only real selling point being reduced maintenance and lower fuel prices. Do you see the problem with that side of the argument? If all I needed was a commuter car, or a road trip car I would go buy a cheap economy car (and I did for a few years), however I instead chose to equip myself with a vehicle that I can use as a tool for just about any situation, at any time for any reason. I use that capability on a regular basis. At least once a month on average I have 300+ mile days, and I often have a 4k trailer with me. There isn't an EV available currently that can match that. Period.

I appreciate you input, but I've not yet seen a good convincing reason that it works for me. Want to trade my Sierra for your Model X for a month this summer? I'll buy all the gas.
I also do not have a service center within 90 miles of me. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. I've been there ONCE in 150k miles, or 8 combined years of owning the vehicles.

I have had one pickup truck. For my needs it was way too specialized. Lousy mileage, half of the vehicle (the bed) unused too much of the time, etc...

I'm not asking you to buy into anything. I'm just providing information for those who are asking about them. Since you aren't interested, I'm not sure why you are here?

I do not have an X.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I don't know, Robert, not the way I see it.

Ford caters to a deliberately simplified, common denominator (large market) audience hence avoiding risks and pursuing profits with literally no innovation in mind other than super-size (everything) (and I think we would all agree no one would seriously consider turbocharging their "ecoboost" engines as an innovation). They have put themselves behind the curve as far as innovation, but they enjoy (short term?) profits.
Tesla could not be more different. They take risks but mostly they just look way further ahead. For most people innovation has no appeal, per se, decisions are based on what makes sense at the time. But when a state like Germany decides they now stop building any ICE powered vehicles in the next year - well, that gets some attention of many a potential new car buyer. Tesla's target audience appears to be a customer of the future, regardless of their status, or at least with a pretty wide bandwidth. And that includes me w/my boat, and my MIL who is looking for a car that would park itself.

If I buy a Tesla, I'm not a "fanboy" or a target consumer. I have an iphone, I'm definitely not an iphone fanboy and I'm certain I'm not a target audience for Apple, either, lol.

Tesla may at some point make sense to me, in my situation. Just like a Toyota Landcruiser makes sense to me right now as my commuter/tow vehicle, a Tesla cybertruck/suv would do. I know few Tesla owners, they all seem to like what those cars/suvs do.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also do not have a service center within 90 miles of me. BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. I've been there ONCE in 150k miles, or 8 combined years of owning the vehicles.

I have had one pickup truck. For my needs it was way too specialized. Lousy mileage, half of the vehicle (the bed) unused too much of the time, etc...

I'm not asking you to buy into anything. I'm just providing information for those who are asking about them. Since you aren't interested, I'm not sure why you are here?

I do not have an X.
My apologies. Thought your wife had an X.

I'm very much interested. I WANT it to work for me, just doesn't yet. Hoping I'm missing something along the way here, so far I'm not finding it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to keep my eyes and ears open.

We have far different takes on the pickup. It's easily the nicest, most capable vehicle I've owned. I can't imagine it being any more generalized, and don't see it as specialized at all. It does ALL the things pretty well, some better than others. Efficiency, not so much. Taking a family of 4 on vacation with a boat in tow, amazing.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know, Robert, not the way I see it.

Ford caters to a deliberately simplified, common denominator (large market) audience hence avoiding risks and pursuing profits with literally no innovation in mind other than super-size (everything) (and I think we would all agree no one would seriously consider turbocharging their "ecoboost" engines as an innovation). They have put themselves behind the curve as far as innovation, but they enjoy (short term?) profits.
Tesla could not be more different. They take risks but mostly they just look way further ahead. For most people innovation has no appeal, per se, decisions are based on what makes sense at the time. But when a state like Germany decides they now stop building any ICE powered vehicles in the next year - well, that gets some attention of many a potential new car buyer. Tesla's target audience appears to be a customer of the future, regardless of their status, or at least with a pretty wide bandwidth. And that includes me w/my boat, and my MIL who is looking for a car that would park itself.

If I buy a Tesla, I'm not a "fanboy" or a target consumer. I have an iphone, I'm definitely not an iphone fanboy and I'm certain I'm not a target audience for Apple, either, lol.

Tesla may at some point make sense to me, in my situation. Just like a Toyota Landcruiser makes sense to me right now as my commuter/tow vehicle, a Tesla cybertruck/suv would do. I know few Tesla owners, they all seem to like what those cars/suvs do.

--
I really hope that is not Tesla’s game plan which is to just target a future audience. Here is where my opinion will be un popular and this comes from a Tesla owner there will come a point in the future and we probably are not to far off where electric cars become will become main stream and it won’t be when someone comes out with a cool new car it will be when someone figures out a way where I can drive 300 miles stop and in less then 10 minutes refill and drive another 300 miles.

Once that happens and it can be mass produced I fear what will become of Tesla. Once the major players all fully dive into the pool I don’t believe Tesla will be able to keep up with them and I think will quickly loose market share. I still won’t be surprised to see one of the majors swallow up Tesla near that turning point and keep them around as niche car company or brand.

I will also make the comment that Tesla’s tech I feel is more over hyped then what it really is. Outside of the electric drive train there are gas powered cars doing all the same stuff Tesla’s do including “most” of the self driving features. Well I will admit I have never seen another car make fart sounds on demand but I wouldn’t call that innovation. Heck I had a Hyundai rental car for a business trip two weeks ago and it had adaptive cruise with self steering and it felt darn near my Tesla’s auto pilot short of it wouldn’t change lanes if I turned on the blinker.

Tesla’s big innovation is making electric cars people wanted to buy and marketing them to the correct audience. I think it’s an incredible thing they have pulled off but the others will eventually catch on at the pace where going it’s still likely going to be 5-10 years before that happens though and by then someone should have figured out how to charge a Toyota Camry electric car 300 miles in 10 minutes and it will no longer be the cool fast electric cars that are main steam it will be the practical $20k ones that have the ability to charge that fast.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Man this is still going huh. We have had the Model 3 for a few weeks now. I much prefer the driving experience over my truck, and the Ram is the best driving truck out there. I love everything about the Ram but now hope one day I can get an all electric one with a huge range. The 3 makes me laugh every time I drive it because it’s just stupid quick. We haven’t had an range issues yet, she took a 250 mile trip and still had over 20% left. Took it to my work and charged it up for free. Daily it only uses maybe 10% of the charge. I doubt I’ll even see my electric bill go up next year. It’s a shame the Cyber Truck looks like a lego toy otherwise I’d highly consider one in 4-5 years.