• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 7 stages of Cybertruck shock:

The reveal: This is a joke, right? Elon is joking. When are they bringing out the real truck? OMG it's over?!?! That's the real truck? WTF? That damn thing is ugly.

Stage 2: Man, I still can't believe that truck. What were they thinking? Yeah, the specs are good, but Christ, come on.

Stage 3: Hmmm. Interesting article about the shape and the engineering behind the exoskeloton. I guess they had to have a shape like that to get the structure strong enough for a 3500# payload and 14,000# tow rating while keeping the weight at the F150 range while still carrying enough batteries for a 500 mile range. Well, the engineers did their job, but I'm not so sure about the designer. I guess now that I've seen it, it's not as bad as I first thought. Still...

Stage 4: Hmmm. Interesting article on the analysis of the aerodynamics. A CD of less than .35 is pretty damn impressive for a pick up. That truck is pretty bad ass, I wish it looked better. Still, not really so bad.

Stage 5: That Cybertruck doesn't look half bad with color on it. And look at the ground clearance with no axles! I didn't know Elon grew up in South Africa four wheeling. I guess he really does know his shit about off road. Not a Jeep, but man that thing will be unstoppable for a pick up.

Stage 6: Damn, that truck really is kind of cool looking. Not pretty boy good looking, but "I'm the meanest MoFo around" bad ass good looking. Kind of makes other trucks look like pull-toys. Literally... Boy, did Ford chicken out of their challenge or what! I can see why they did though.

Stage 7: Shit, I have got to have one of those! Tesla, take my money! How the hell am I going to wait 3 years for the tri-motor version!?

Some go through the seven stages quickly, some take days or weeks, some are locked in the past. :) I ordered mine yesterday.
First off, how’d you get in my head!?!

Secondly, I’m on stage 6

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This article. Guy was getting around 90mi to a charge with a teardrop trailer.

Towing a Teardrop Trailer to Flagstaff - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test
Kind of a Apples to oranges comparison? If an X gets 90 miles, I'd believe that BTW, I'd guess the Cybertruck at 250. An X is VERY aerodynamic and efficient. A cybertruck is good for a pickup, but it's still a pickup. Towing isn't going to have the same effect on it's range that it would on an X. All guesswork at this point, but 90 miles is WELL short of the most conservative--realistic--guess. No way it's going to be more than 300 or less than 200. Depending on what you're towing of course. If you're really towing 14,000# then probably 150. For an AR240, I think 250 is a fair guess.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kind of a Apples to oranges comparison? If an X gets 90 miles, I'd believe that BTW, I'd guess the Cybertruck at 250. An X is VERY aerodynamic and efficient. A cybertruck is good for a pickup, but it's still a pickup. Towing isn't going to have the same effect on it's range that it would on an X. All guesswork at this point, but 90 miles is WELL short of the most conservative--realistic--guess. No way it's going to be more than 300 or less than 200. Depending on what you're towing of course. If you're really towing 14,000# then probably 150. For an AR240, I think 250 is a fair guess.
Also, he wasn't getting 90 miles per charge. That was the average distance he drove between charges. He had an average of 67 miles of range left when he pulled in, therefore he was actually getting 150-160 miles per charge. (That number is also supported by his overall 612 Wh/mi). On a 250 mile range Model X.

So the towing penalty was 40% (which is about what I would expect). Apply that to the tri-motor Cybertruck and you get an estimated useful tow range of 300 miles. Only you can decide if that is acceptable for your situation.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Apply that to the tri-motor Cybertruck and you get an estimated useful tow range of 300 miles. Only you can decide if that is acceptable for your situation.
That's almost twice the range I get towing with a toyota landcrusier, lol.
I get over 200 mile range if I drive nice and easy, I think. But not 300, towing, ever.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nakk I wasn't implying that the CT would get 90miles, but that current models were only getting that. I would expect a similar percentage drop for the CT.

On your 7 stages of CT. I doubt I make it past the reveal. The engineering isn't stellar IMO, and the appearance is down right terrible. It's a fail on multiple levels.

@thefortunes you're right the author had range left, but with no infrastructure to replenish he had to stop short and refill. This somewhat underscores the importance of a standardized, and fully deployed infrastructure.

@swatski is that small range a function of tank size or poor mileage?

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Nakk I wasn't implying that the CT would get 90miles, but that current models were only getting that. I would expect a similar percentage drop for the CT.

On your 7 stages of CT. I doubt I make it past the reveal. The engineering isn't stellar IMO, and the appearance is down right terrible. It's a fail on multiple levels.

@thefortunes you're right the author had range left, but with no infrastructure to replenish he had to stop short and refill. This somewhat underscores the importance of a standardized, and fully deployed infrastructure.

But "current" models weren't getting that. They were getting 150-160 miles as I pointed out.

Regarding infrastructure, the author wrote that back in 2016. Superchargers have more than tripled since then.

In case anyone else decides to read a >3 year old story, note that he was fully charging. The last 10% of a charge (which was unnecessary) doubles your charge time. In fact, in most instances he really only needed to charge to about 70% (the car will tell you when you have enough charge to leave, and it leaves you a buffer in case of weather, etc).

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Again pro Tesla’er here, but how will they setup charging for those who tow? I have little interest in unhitching every 200 or 300 miles.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
IC engines are actually more efficient (in terms of converting energy into mechanical power) when under heavier loads. Pumping losses become less of the overall equation, and the mileage doesn't suffer "as badly" as electrics do. I think this is why you see 40-50% loss of range in an EV under heavy load, versus only a 20-30% loss in range on an ICE. So the towing and hauling aspect of an EV is heavier burden to bear.
I wish my ICE range only dropped 30% under a heavy load!!!! Mine drops from 24mpg to 10.5mpg!

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Again pro Tesla’er here, but how will they setup charging for those who tow? I have little interest in unhitching every 200 or 300 miles.
Yeah, they have tried to address that with pull-thru stalls in SuC, but not enough of them IMHO.

In most locations (outside California), the usage is light enough that you can block 2-3 stalls for the 20 minutes and it isn't an issue. Or you can grab an end. If someone comes, then you would want to adjust, obviously.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LOL, I think I'd be disappointed if you made it past the reveal stage! :) That just wouldn't be you.

Judgement of looks is subjective. Again, I'd be disappointed in anything less from you. :) You do realize though, that if you'd never ever seen a pick up and only ever dealt with sedans, that you'd find a standard pick up to be quite ugly the first time you saw it? And that you'd grow to appreciate it as you realized what it could do? The design of the cybertruck is driven by it's functional requirements. You can't do body on frame with an EV; the frame will limit how many battery cells you can have. You can't do a unibody and have a 3500# payload or tow 14,000 pounds. A completely new approach was needed.

As far as the engineering, you're objectively wrong. The mark was to beat an F150, and in almost every metric the Cybertruck just doesn't beat the F150, it slaughters it. Creating an exoskeleton truck that has a payload of 3500# and a tow rating of 14,000# while staying in the weight class of an F150 is nothing short of awesome. And just stuffing electric motors in a standard pickup design would not work. It would be like just stuffing a jet pump in a hull designed for an I/O. Yeah, it would move the boat, but not well. Same with the CT. A new approach was needed to make a truck that could work like a truck but run off electricity. TBH, Tesla exceeded my expectations by a lot. By discarding tradition and building the truck the way it needed to be built, they created a truck that moves the whole class into the future.

I mean seriously, look at what that truck can do! Look at the ground clearance. Payload, towing capacity, etc. Look at the traction a tri-motor setup brings to the table. Sorry, but there isn't a pickup made that will be able to match the traction potential a tri-motor setup gives. Only a quad motor setup could do better. By monitoring slip and adjusting torque at each rear wheel and the front axle individually, the traction potential totally eclipses what is possible with a single engine. Lest you say that it doesn't matter that the Cybertruck turns old trucks into pull-toys, consider pulling a boat out of the water on a slimy or snow covered ramp. In an old truck, get one wheel spinning and you might just end up in the drink. In a Cybertruck, just put the pedal down and get the maximum thrust out of each wheel. Sorry, but that is stellar engineering. The truck that wins the tug of war is the truck that will do best at this real world chore.

I get it; some people just don't like change. Hell, in the LS engine swap forums there are still people pulling the fuel injection of these motors and replacing it with carb setups! LOL.

For some towing chores, a good diesel is still going to be the best answer. The charging network is going to have to change to accommodate charging tow vehicles. It will. Range will need to go up. It will. The Cybertruck exceeds all of my towing requirements, except for the occasional trip to Northern Vancouver island. As the charging infrastructure expands, that need too will be met.

Consider that Tesla is doing more to change the world than ANY other entity out there. You might want to think about the fact that Elon Musk is including motor vehicle enthusiasts and people that need to tow in his plans. That is pretty cool given that everyone else that plans on changing the world is intent on eliminating things like boating and towing and four wheeling and cool cars. You might want to be happy that Elon has beaten those other folks to the punch. Elon's plan is to give you a choice, and to make the EV choice better. The other plan out there is to take your choices away and that you should just shut up and take what they give you. And shut up about what they take away from you. You may not hear it yet, but that voice of absolutism is getting louder way faster than you think. Where I live, I here it all too loudly. One thing is certain: the world is about to change whether you like it or not. I like Elon's vision a lot better than the alternative.

I think the biggest point of the Cybertruck is that it has proved that the time is almost here when the EV will completely replace ICE vehicles. The Cybertruck reveal was a major turning point in history, and I'm confident that 100 years from now it will be recognized as such.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
LOL, I think I'd be disappointed if you made it past the reveal stage! :) That just wouldn't be you.

Judgement of looks is subjective. Again, I'd be disappointed in anything less from you. :) You do realize though, that if you'd never ever seen a pick up and only ever dealt with sedans, that you'd find a standard pick up to be quite ugly the first time you saw it? And that you'd grow to appreciate it as you realized what it could do? The design of the cybertruck is driven by it's functional requirements. You can't do body on frame with an EV; the frame will limit how many battery cells you can have. You can't do a unibody and have a 3500# payload or tow 14,000 pounds. A completely new approach was needed.

As far as the engineering, you're objectively wrong. The mark was to beat an F150, and in almost every metric the Cybertruck just doesn't beat the F150, it slaughters it. Creating an exoskeleton truck that has a payload of 3500# and a tow rating of 14,000# while staying in the weight class of an F150 is nothing short of awesome. And just stuffing electric motors in a standard pickup design would not work. It would be like just stuffing a jet pump in a hull designed for an I/O. Yeah, it would move the boat, but not well. Same with the CT. A new approach was needed to make a truck that could work like a truck but run off electricity. TBH, Tesla exceeded my expectations by a lot. By discarding tradition and building the truck the way it needed to be built, they created a truck that moves the whole class into the future.

I mean seriously, look at what that truck can do! Look at the ground clearance. Payload, towing capacity, etc. Look at the traction a tri-motor setup brings to the table. Sorry, but there isn't a pickup made that will be able to match the traction potential a tri-motor setup gives. Only a quad motor setup could do better. By monitoring slip and adjusting torque at each rear wheel and the front axle individually, the traction potential totally eclipses what is possible with a single engine. Lest you say that it doesn't matter that the Cybertruck turns old trucks into pull-toys, consider pulling a boat out of the water on a slimy or snow covered ramp. In an old truck, get one wheel spinning and you might just end up in the drink. In a Cybertruck, just put the pedal down and get the maximum thrust out of each wheel. Sorry, but that is stellar engineering. The truck that wins the tug of war is the truck that will do best at this real world chore.

I get it; some people just don't like change. Hell, in the LS engine swap forums there are still people pulling the fuel injection of these motors and replacing it with carb setups! LOL.

For some towing chores, a good diesel is still going to be the best answer. The charging network is going to have to change to accommodate charging tow vehicles. It will. Range will need to go up. It will. The Cybertruck exceeds all of my towing requirements, except for the occasional trip to Northern Vancouver island. As the charging infrastructure expands, that need too will be met.

Consider that Tesla is doing more to change the world than ANY other entity out there. You might want to think about the fact that Elon Musk is including motor vehicle enthusiasts and people that need to tow in his plans. That is pretty cool given that everyone else that plans on changing the world is intent on eliminating things like boating and towing and four wheeling and cool cars. You might want to be happy that Elon has beaten those other folks to the punch. Elon's plan is to give you a choice, and to make the EV choice better. The other plan out there is to take your choices away and that you should just shut up and take what they give you. And shut up about what they take away from you. You may not hear it yet, but that voice of absolutism is getting louder way faster than you think. Where I live, I here it all too loudly. One thing is certain: the world is about to change whether you like it or not. I like Elon's vision a lot better than the alternative.

I think the biggest point of the Cybertruck is that it has proved that the time is almost here when the EV will completely replace ICE vehicles. The Cybertruck reveal was a major turning point in history, and I'm confident that 100 years from now it will be recognized as such.

Good points, but I still think a big factor in vehicle choice is aesthetics. The initial prototype is ugly. If you disagree and like the design you are either a Tesla fanboy, or so far out there you represent .00001% of the majority of truck buyers. The Tesla truck touts some great numbers, but we will not be able to test them in the real world for 3 years. This isn't a bash Tesla or EV post at all. I am very interested in getting a EV. I have a 2013 F150 right now that is getting up there in age so I am starting to research what I want to replace it with in the next couple of years. You couldn't pay me to trade my current truck for the Cybertruck. I'm all for the electric drive, but damn I don't want to be laughed at when pulling up. The other Tesla cars look great, why did they butcher the truck? I may be bias, but nothing looks better or tougher than a leveled F150 on 35's.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks are what we like and we are all different and like the look of different things.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
None of the Ford trucks do anything for me, but the Tesla truck is uglier than them by far. Also, no clue how they make that rolled steel crumple. Interesting concept, hopefully they make it nicer looking as they work on it more!

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The initial prototype is ugly. If you disagree and like the design you are either a Tesla fanboy, or so far out there you represent .00001% of the majority of truck buyers.
Or one of the over 250,000 who ordered one in the first couple of days ordering was available... :) Just saying...

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Or one of the over 250,000 who ordered one in the first couple of days ordering was available... :) Just saying...

Happy Thanksgiving everybody!
250k isn’t that impressive at $100 each when half may cancel. Wonder what the numbers would be at $1,000.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
250k isn’t that impressive at $100 each when half may cancel. Wonder what the numbers would be at $1,000.
250,000 deciding that they like it enough to take the time to order is a LOT more than .00001%--your number--of any group you might want to name. $100 is the deposit required on all Tesla models except the Y, and the conversion rate to actual orders is quite close to 100%. But hey, let's use your figure, 50% conversion rate. 125,000 orders in a couple of days of such a wildly different truck is VERY impressive, and also a lot more than .00001% . For that matter, 125,000 actual conversions of those orders would be one of the more successful reveals of any vehicle. Take the Tesla Model 3 with 325,000 orders in one week after it's reveal. A number the Cybertruck may have reached. The Model 3 is now the best selling Luxury sedan. Most Popular Article Another good read: https://www.forbes.com/sites/billroberson/2019/11/27/outrageous-courageous-stupid-sublime-200000-pre-orders-later-lets-revisit-the-tesla-cybertruck/#67b064855261

Hey, don't get one if you don't like it. Easy. Choice is good. But the reality is that in a few years you'll be seeing a lot of them on the road. Go ahead and laugh at the truck then. The owners will be laughing all the way to the bank. The operating cost of the Cybertruck is going to be a small fraction of running an F150. That is a simple, undeniable fact. Of course, there will be a few folks pissing into the wind denying it anyways! LOL.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Nakk you misunderstood the engineering fail. 4k towing, and 3500 payload are great numbers. HP and Torque numbers are exceptional as well. The specs are impressive, but the manner in which they got there is absurd, and poorly done.

Large flat sheets is about the worst shape for a truss in a dynamic application. Vibrations, wind loads, and impact factors all favor smaller shapes. 3mm thick stainless is a poor choice. A much simpler weldment of a truss could have been easily designed and fit into the packaging constraints. Aside from military and law enforcement I don't see the market for the thick bulletproof sheets. ABS plastic is equally as dent resistant random blows from hammers and tools, and weighs just a fraction. Hell, keep it a stainless skin if you like, but thin it out and us it as a skin, not a structural component. Even the new Honda Ridgeline has found a more aesthetically appealing truss shape to create a uni-body pickup. Likewise, the battery pack doesn't have to be a full width unit to accommodate the relatively narrow truss required for adequate stiffness in an automotive application.

The choice as stainless is laughable in just about all regards IMO. Are they going to make ALL the components Stainless or Aluminum? If not you will have ancillary parts rusting away while attached to that beheamouth of a chassis. What do repairs look like? It took body shops years to convert over to handle the aluminum on the F150's, some still haven't converted and most likely wont. How are they going to handle stainless repairs? It's expensive, relatively heavy (which in general is a BAD decision for anything that moves), and poses problems far beyond just manufacturing.

The power and torque comes from the electric tech, and I think we all agree on that front. Simpler is better, electric is more efficient, and it's the better decision on those numbers. The traction is a direct factor of tire compounding and torque monitoring. Once you have more torque available than traction available it goes to a torque monitoring and adjustment process. I'll take the pepsi challenge with a CT vs and a standard 4wd system. There is nothing revolutionary there, just an evolution of traction control theories. Hell even Jeep has proven you can take a standard non-locking-diff-equipped Wrangler down the Rubicon trail with just basic traction control (ABS based) systems. Anything more is overkill. I have no doubt the CT will match this capability, but it certainly isn't an engineering marvel. Ground clearance is the same rebuttal. Dodge currently offers a height adjustable air suspension for both capacity and clearance reasons, another CT evolution, not revolution.

The aerodynamic drag numbers are interesting. They're better than I expected, and excellent compared to a "traditional" pickup. That sloped windshield, lack of side mirrors, no abrupt break at the cab/bed interface, and no front cooling opening help I'm certain. No arguments that a "standard" pickup design can't match that CD number. These are benefits of the whack-a-doo styling. THOSE engineering decisions are good ones.

Speaking of good engineering solutions, they must not just solve the problem at hand, they must also be reasonable, manufacturable, and ideally elegant. The CT IMO is a "brute force" attack on the problem, and is short sighted of the over arching goal of getting more people to be EV owners. Elon stated that as the goal up front, then rolled out a truck that is so polarizing, he's going to have a hard time getting main stream buyers to change loyalties. Just look at the specs below........

250,000 deciding that they like it enough to take the time to order is a LOT more than .00001%--your number--of any group you might want to name. $100 is the deposit required on all Tesla models except the Y, and the conversion rate to actual orders is quite close to 100%. But hey, let's use your figure, 50% conversion rate. 125,000 orders in a couple of days of such a wildly different truck is VERY impressive, and also a lot more than .00001% . For that matter, 125,000 actual conversions of those orders would be one of the more successful reveals of any vehicle.
2017 pickup sales were 2.8mil according to a quick google search. 125k reservations (it will be more than 50% take rate I would guess) is VERY conservative. That's ~4.3% of the total pickup marketplace that made an order. Although, I do think the $100 refundable deposit is a REALLY low hurdle, and probably not really indicative of actual market share once released. Even more so when you consider the time it takes to ramp production to that level. That portion of the release was a relative success, but still falls short of being "game changing" IMO.

I really do think Tesla is doing the most to help move EV's forward. Even comparing the Model X to the Audi E-Tron. Audi is a shade less expensive, has more mainstream design cues, and is from a well known manufacturer with good history of quality components......yet it's sales are stale, slow, and just generally not well received. So clearly just tossing some motors into an existing package and style doesn't work. You need something else to catch the audience, and the truck was an opportunity to do just that. They missed with the polarizing styling, poor engineering choices, answering questions nobody asked, and attempting to prove that with childish stunts (cannonballs at windows, and tug of war with trucks). The CT specs might be great, but it's an arguably terrible vehicle overall.

Good points, but I still think a big factor in vehicle choice is aesthetics. The initial prototype is ugly. If you disagree and like the design you are either a Tesla fanboy, or so far out there you represent .00001% of the majority of truck buyers.
As @MattFX4 notes here, if you like the design, you either like Tesla for what they are, or you don't represent the majority of truck owners. That is not to say they they aren't finding DIFFERENT people to buy the vehicle (or at least pre-order), just that they are mostly likely taking market share from other automotive sub sections. How many of those 250k pre-orders already own a pickup and are jumping ship to the CT vs how many are NEW pickup buyers. Clearly the 0.0001% is an exaggeration, but I would expect that it's less than the ~8% that 250k "ship jumpers" represents.......I think you're both correct here.

Hey, don't get one if you don't like it. Easy. Choice is good. But the reality is that in a few years you'll be seeing a lot of them on the road. Go ahead and laugh at the truck then. The owners will be laughing all the way to the bank. The operating cost of the Cybertruck is going to be a small fraction of running an F150. That is a simple, undeniable fact. Of course, there will be a few folks pissing into the wind denying it anyways! LOL.
I agree, the cost of ownership is most likely going to favor the electric. Energy is less expensive in general, and maintenance costs are going to be lower. Purchase price is similar (my truck had a sticker price of $57k, although I bought used for less). We will see a good number of them on the road, but I suspect it's fewer than you think. Even 10% isn't a large margin of the market to take. The further from the coasts and major cities you get the more this will be true. Taking the cars (unsure on market share there) as an example. I commute 32mi through the 12th largest city in the country every day. I might see 4-5 Teslas on my commute that is general heavily traffic. I suspect I might see a CT once or twice a week at these levels, maybe less. It will be awhile before they are even close to as main stream as the rest of the market. i will continue to laugh at them, the same as I laugh at people that currently drive Prius's over 90mph, guys that attempt to tow heavy loads with overly lifted and tiny tired 2500's, and pretty much anyone in an Aztek. Money isn't everything, especially if it means I have to drive a giant wedge on wheels :D

A final note......Please understand I'm attempting to be discussive here, not dismissive, or argumentative. I'm not great at getting proper inflection through in text formats, so please take my disagreements in the manner they are intended.......Garage/Shop talk and general bench racing style conversation. Happy Thanksgiving!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Forget it guys. The Tesla Cybertruck is the b3st3st ev@r. The big 3 should just hang it up. Game is over guys. Forget decades of real-world use and millions of miles of experience. The Cybertruck will displace the dinosaur ICE trucks entirely by 2025. Game.Is.Over. :rolleyes:

Seriously though until there is an infrastructure that matches near 1:1 the convenience gas store model of being....well convenient...(yes, even in the "boonies aka 75% of America")..... then this whole idea is a farce. I don't mind EV's really but I don't like the whole Tesla model of not really having dealerships. It kind of feels like they are trying to sell a vehicle in the same way you'd buy something online off Amazon or like any other disposable appliance in today's era where big box stores like Best Buy are disappearing due to online sites. I also don't like the whole service and maintenance being tied directly to Tesla or their idea of creating their own utility power grid infrastructures in the future. To me that sounds like a monopoly in the making....

So I guess wake me up when there's an actual real-world infrastructure in place to actually support this crack pipe dream of electro cyperpunk utopia. I also hope and pray that anyone who buys that toaster-on-wheels will also buy the matching outfit those idiots wore during the reveal lol. Then you'll have the complete cyberdork look....

back-to-the-future-part-ii-EWE7XG.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The gas tank is 24gal, IIRC, I get anywhere between 9-11mpg towing, I think I saw 12 one time.
I start looking for gas stations at 150mile mark, towing. Not great, and one thing that's annoying about the truck, and something I miss about Q7 TDI which had about double the range. Tundras can go up to 30+ gal tanks, and many LC200 owners install aftermarket aux tanks, I have no interest.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@thefortunes what's the deal with tire availability for Teslas, is this really an issue, I have heard that thrown around as a potential con for buying a Tesla, parts and even tires are super special and can be hard to get. I find that hard to believe, at least with the tires.

--