• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cannot agree more re: Elon.

But I will also say, if they can deliver the level of performance they are promising at the price point they are promising, they are throwing down the gauntlet to Rivian et al. Rivian's specs are WAY off from Tesla's and at a much higher price. Neither truck exists of course so it's just comparing text on websites at this point. It's easy to promise the moon for free. But it'll be interesting to watch this develop.

It also has a lot to do with ease of production. Tesla regularly gets bogged down when trying to mass produce their cars. The fewer bends, creases, etc. the easier it is to manufacture. They also are regularly criticized for large panel gaps (although both of our Model S's have been made as well as any Japanese or German car). Fewer, simpler, panels mean less chance of fitment issues.

I went ahead and put down a deposit. I'll see how it develops over the next few years.
The specs are wildly misleading IMO. They are all "independant" specs. 500 miles range........with no load and 1 passenger. 14k towing.......for 90miles. 0-60 in 2.6sec.........for the 3 pickup owners that give a crap about that.......It's purposefully setup to sound better than it is.

Honestly, I don't see any single spec there that makes it any better than any other 1500 class pickup. Maybe the tow rating, but IMO it's a little outlandish to tow that much with this sized vehicle anyway. A big maybe there IMO.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Fair enough. How are gasoline and diesel vehicles rated for MPG? What's the test setting? Is it with maximum passengers, max payload, and towing at max capacity? Worst case conditions?

Electric range and ICE range suffer almost the same issues. When it's cold, electric range decreases, like ICE MPG in winter and hence range from a tank of fuel. The difference is the winter hit to electric range can swing more than ICE MPG depending on how cabin heat is used. When you drive 80 mph, range decreases with both. When you tow, range decreases with both. About the only place the two technologies deviate is in city/urban driving, where electric can actually be more efficient than sustained highway, whereas ICE efficiency drops significantly. Tesla advertises typical range in average summer conditions. I can easily beat my Model 3 estimated range in spring and fall, or by keeping speed below 70 mph, but I fall below advertised range in winter. It's no secret and not much different than my ICE vehicles.

Given more than 40% of the pre-orders for the Tesla truck are for the tri-motor 2.9 second variety, I think Tesla's target market is indeed interested in performance. Not all. But many.

ICE is dead to me. I predict my AR195 is the last internal combustion engine I'll ever buy. So, for those of us interested in electric, what exactly are our options? What beats the Tesla truck in specs and price with a charging network that will allow me to take it on long journeys? I'm genuinely interested.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fair enough. How are gasoline and diesel vehicles rated for MPG? What's the test setting? Is it with maximum passengers, max payload, and towing at max capacity? Worst case conditions?
A fair point. We have years of empirical data to lean on in this case with ICE and associated powertrains, not so much with electric. The bigger issue is that J.Q. Public doesn't understand energy. Nobody is talking about Joules per mile, which would level the playing field significantly. We're all tied to this larger "miles per gallon" idea. The EV's use far less energy per mile, but don't carry even a small fraction of energy onboard with them. So the EV manufacturers started listing "range", and everyone is confused on how the two compare. Truth be told, my truck probably only has a 300mile range while towing my 4,000lb boat, maybe even less. If ANY of the electric trucks hit that, it'll be a wash, and I'll have nothing to complain about. We just have nothing but words on a website at this point, and some largely annectdotal evidence from existing EV owners.

We need a better way to communicate efficiency of the power train, and energy capacity of the storage system.

Electric range and ICE range suffer almost the same issues. When it's cold, electric range decreases, like ICE MPG in winter and hence range from a tank of fuel. The difference is the winter hit to electric range can swing more than ICE MPG depending on how cabin heat is used. When you drive 80 mph, range decreases with both. When you tow, range decreases with both. About the only place the two technologies deviate is in city/urban driving, where electric can actually be more efficient than sustained highway, whereas ICE efficiency drops significantly. Tesla advertises typical range in average summer conditions. I can easily beat my Model 3 estimated range in spring and fall, or by keeping speed below 70 mph, but I fall below advertised range in winter. It's no secret and not much different than my ICE vehicles.
I think there is another player here that most don't see. Mostly in regards to heavily loaded prime movers. Electric motors are most efficient at light to medium loads. Roto "slip", and field breakdown happen when loads are high, and driving frequency is high. IC engines are actually more efficient (in terms of converting energy into mechanical power) when under heavier loads. Pumping losses become less of the overall equation, and the mileage doesn't suffer "as badly" as electrics do. I think this is why you see 40-50% loss of range in an EV under heavy load, versus only a 20-30% loss in range on an ICE. So the towing and hauling aspect of an EV is heavier burden to bear.

Given more than 40% of the pre-orders for the Tesla truck are for the tri-motor 2.9 second variety, I think Tesla's target market is indeed interested in performance. Not all. But many.
I wonder if this is driven off performance specs, or the low cost of reserving it. $100 is nothing on a $50k vehicle. If I'm plunking down a refundable deposit, better believe I'm getting in line for the top of the line one. When the time comes, I'll either drop back and punt with the lower tier, or get my $100 back. $1k depost might have more validity in my mind over who really wants what.

ICE is dead to me. I predict my AR195 is the last internal combustion engine I'll ever buy. So, for those of us interested in electric, what exactly are our options? What beats the Tesla truck in specs and price with a charging network that will allow me to take it on long journeys? I'm genuinely interested.
There is no competition on the charging network. No arguements there. Since we're comparing theoretical specs, Rivian is the only real competitor here on specs, price not so much. We're still a year or more out from seeing any of them on the road, and getting real world usage data. Until then it's all just speculation anyway. I've always loved a good "bench race" though :D

Trevor Shipman

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am REALLY surprised that the launch/reveal didn’t have more cool displays. Nothing about all the cool the truck has, cool compartments, more about the rolling cover, frunk cooler, electric attachments. I mean the list goes on and on with the cool things they could have boasted about but the reveal just ended abruptly it seemed like. They revealed the truck, but I think they came up way short on selling it. It’s almost as Tesla is letting social media do the heavy lifting for them.

Again, I can’t tell you how bad I wanted this truck but I’m just not there with the design. Oddly everyday it wears on me a little more though.

I know there’s so much more to this truck then what they showed us Thursday. I can’t wait to see one in person.

Wonder if Ford will take any bold design steps like Tesla did for their EV truck. I’m sure nothing like what Tesla did but it would be pretty boring if they just slapped a battery pack under a F150

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
.......... if they just slapped a battery pack under a F150
I think this is the quickest method to get the core truck buying demographic to accept the concept. Simply swap out the driveline in a proven form factor, and let the performance speak for itself.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I am REALLY surprised that the launch/reveal didn’t have more cool displays. Nothing about all the cool the truck has, cool compartments, more about the rolling cover, frunk cooler, electric attachments. I mean the list goes on and on with the cool things they could have boasted about but the reveal just ended abruptly it seemed like. They revealed the truck, but I think they came up way short on selling it. It’s almost as Tesla is letting social media do the heavy lifting for them.

Again, I can’t tell you how bad I wanted this truck but I’m just not there with the design. Oddly everyday it wears on me a little more though.

I know there’s so much more to this truck then what they showed us Thursday. I can’t wait to see one in person.

Wonder if Ford will take any bold design steps like Tesla did for their EV truck. I’m sure nothing like what Tesla did but it would be pretty boring if they just slapped a battery pack under a F150
I believe you make a good point and I wonder if their strategy is not to have one. We're expecting them to excite us and get everyone talking. I think it worked. There is soooo much more about this truck and the intrigue is driving everyone crazy. If it was or wasn't planned it's still brilliant!!!

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My scare in this whole thing is the deposit to hold one. The model 3 required $1000 deposit, the model Y currently requires a $2500 deposit and the roadster requires a $50,000 deposit to pre order. All these are refundable but it’s enough to be a true commitment from someone. The truck only requires $100 refundable deposit to reserve yours and lock your price. This makes me wonder if Tesla has doubghts about this thing making it to market. It’s a whole lot easier to refund a bunch of $100 deposits later then a bunch of $2500 deposits. It maybe just to skew the numbers so the can say we have 150,000 pre orders but that is not legit $100 is not a real comitment I would bet more then half of those never take delivery if it comes to market.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Model 3 is only $100 deposit. Non refundable though.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My scare in this whole thing is the deposit to hold one. The model 3 required $1000 deposit, the model Y currently requires a $2500 deposit and the roadster requires a $50,000 deposit to pre order. All these are refundable but it’s enough to be a true commitment from someone. The truck only requires $100 refundable deposit to reserve yours and lock your price. This makes me wonder if Tesla has doubghts about this thing making it to market. It’s a whole lot easier to refund a bunch of $100 deposits later then a bunch of $2500 deposits. It maybe just to skew the numbers so the can say we have 150,000 pre orders but that is not legit $100 is not a real comitment I would bet more then half of those never take delivery if it comes to market.
seems odd to me. Hey, put down $$ now for the promise of a product release 2 years from now. Sounds like a kickstarter campaign. Not calling anyone out, but wasn’t there a product release on this site not too long ago using that same approach. Some weren’t very happy with the results.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I'm not worried about it at all. At one time everyone said electric vehicles were slow and ugly. Tesla released the Roadster. Then they said EVs were small with short range and impractical for day-to-day use. Tesla released the S. Then they said there wasn't an electric SUV that could tow. Tesla released the X. Then they said EV was only for the elite and average people couldn't afford them. Tesla released the 3....and is closing on 600,000 sold in just two years.

And now Tesla is wrapping up a small SUVish option (more of a hatchback), a real-world EV semi truck, and the Cybertruck. I wonder which of today's criticisms will be proven wrong in the next 2 years?

Tesla is definitely not perfect. There's a lot to improve, but they're really...and I mean REALLY...good at bucking trends, tapping into what certain buyers want, and proving naysayers wrong.

Even if only half the reservation holders purchase the truck, that's over 100,000 purchases secured in just a few days since a bloody awful debut presentation of a one-off prototype for a vehicle that's not yet road legal and won't release for 2 years (3 in the case of the top line tri-motor). That's a pretty good start. I imagine interest will accelerate as more information because available, test mules hit the road, final designs wrap up, and ultimately the first ones hit the road. This is the way Tesla does it. Traditional manufacturers keep things under wrap as long as they can, then release little tidbits a few weeks before some random show when they pull off the cover shortly before it becomes available for sale. Tesla gives us early previews, drives their test mules without camouflage in public, gives out as much info as early as possible, and asks early adopters to get in line with paid reservations.

Most everything they do is different from the established manufacturers. And I, for one, am truly grateful at least one company is willing to dare to be different.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not worried about it at all. At one time everyone said electric vehicles were slow and ugly. Tesla released the Roadster. Then they said EVs were small with short range and impractical for day-to-day use. Tesla released the S. Then they said there wasn't an electric SUV that could tow. Tesla released the X. Then they said EV was only for the elite and average people couldn't afford them. Tesla released the 3....and is closing on 600,000 sold in just two years.

And now Tesla is wrapping up a small SUVish option (more of a hatchback), a real-world EV semi truck, and the Cybertruck. I wonder which of today's criticisms will be proven wrong in the next 2 years?

Tesla is definitely not perfect. There's a lot to improve, but they're really...and I mean REALLY...good at bucking trends, tapping into what certain buyers want, and proving naysayers wrong.

Even if only half the reservation holders purchase the truck, that's over 100,000 purchases secured in just a few days since a bloody awful debut presentation of a one-off prototype for a vehicle that's not yet road legal and won't release for 2 years (3 in the case of the top line tri-motor). That's a pretty good start. I imagine interest will accelerate as more information because available, test mules hit the road, final designs wrap up, and ultimately the first ones hit the road. This is the way Tesla does it. Traditional manufacturers keep things under wrap as long as they can, then release little tidbits a few weeks before some random show when they pull off the cover shortly before it becomes available for sale. Tesla gives us early previews, drives their test mules without camouflage in public, gives out as much info as early as possible, and asks early adopters to get in line with paid reservations.

Most everything they do is different from the established manufacturers. And I, for one, am truly grateful at least one company is willing to dare to be different.
I wouldn’t be worried either if I were you. It’s $100. I appreciate what Tesla is doing, and hope they are successful with their new product offerings. The fanboy culture does rub me the wrong way though. I have a friend who lives and dies by Elon Musk. He’s sold on the new truck, and Tesla can do do wrong In his eyes. I’m a little skeptical and want to see how it all plays out though. Ford sold 2.5 million vehicles last year so its a matter of time before their weight Is thrown around and they make leaps and bounds in the EV market. That is as long as they adapt and don’t sit on their hands too long.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I started this thread and own a model x yet I’m still skeptical. How are they going to build this thing for 39,900. The $100 deposit is unheard of for them and that has to be for a reason. I would bet less than half that put the original $100 deposit down ever buy one of these but I’m still curious why Tesla did that as they have never done anything close to that before. For 39,900 I would buy one over a model 3 it has longer range seats more and hauls more so why only due 1/10th the deposit you required on the model 3 two years before it’s release.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The specs are wildly misleading IMO. They are all "independant" specs. 500 miles range........with no load and 1 passenger. 14k towing.......for 90miles. 0-60 in 2.6sec.........for the 3 pickup owners that give a crap about that.......It's purposefully setup to sound better than it is.

Honestly, I don't see any single spec there that makes it any better than any other 1500 class pickup. Maybe the tow rating, but IMO it's a little outlandish to tow that much with this sized vehicle anyway. A big maybe there IMO.
Because it's electric. The level of control you get with direct drive and no waiting for the revs to come up to have power is simply better than anything propelled by an engine, period.

And the price is pretty close to what a 1500 class pickup will cost in 3-4 years. I read somewhere that the current average full size pickup cost is $43k. Don't get me wrong, you will still pay a premium for a Tesla truck over a standard Silverado. But I have seen plenty of Cowboy Cadillacs around here that are into $70k.
A fair point. We have years of empirical data to lean on in this case with ICE and associated powertrains, not so much with electric. The bigger issue is that J.Q. Public doesn't understand energy. Nobody is talking about Joules per mile, which would level the playing field significantly. We're all tied to this larger "miles per gallon" idea. The EV's use far less energy per mile, but don't carry even a small fraction of energy onboard with them. So the EV manufacturers started listing "range", and everyone is confused on how the two compare. Truth be told, my truck probably only has a 300mile range while towing my 4,000lb boat, maybe even less. If ANY of the electric trucks hit that, it'll be a wash, and I'll have nothing to complain about. We just have nothing but words on a website at this point, and some largely annectdotal evidence from existing EV owners.

We need a better way to communicate efficiency of the power train, and energy capacity of the storage system.
It took people a long time to build "common knowledge" about gas/diesel vehicles. Everyone knows (well, they should know) that you have to do things like check the various fluids, put gas in it, etc. It was included in the info that your parents passed down to you about "how to live". In another generation, it will be the same with EVs. Except instead of "check the oil", it'll be "make sure you account for 20% range loss when it's 20F outside."

As for a way to communicate, that's what MPGe and the EPA range numbers are trying to show. It at least gives you a way to compare different models to figure out which is best for you.

And there's always confusion at the beginning of a big change. Heck, the recent few years of smaller turbo-charged motors have caused such fretting and gnashing of teeth. Endless questions on forums about whether they should get the ecoboost, V8, diesel, etc. It will take time but this will be another thing people will learn and adjust to. Some will jump in early, some in the middle, and some will not at all. Luckily we have a huge amount of choice in our vehicle market here.

I think there was more to the reveal, but after the window incident Elon wrapped it as fast as he could and bailed.

The design is actually growing on me as I think about how I will use the truck. It's a function over form thing that is moving in the right direction for me.

Based on the reaction here and elsewhere to the CT, Ford would sell plenty of F-150's with a battery pack slapped underneath. The more the merrier I say.
I started this thread and own a model x yet I’m still skeptical. How are they going to build this thing for 39,900. The $100 deposit is unheard of for them and that has to be for a reason. I would bet less than half that put the original $100 deposit down ever buy one of these but I’m still curious why Tesla did that as they have never done anything close to that before. For 39,900 I would buy one over a model 3 it has longer range seats more and hauls more so why only due 1/10th the deposit you required on the model 3 two years before it’s release.
As someone who gave Tesla thousands of dollars, years before Model S and Model 3, I think this was a wise move. I went into the reveal not going to put down a multi-thousand dollar deposit, no matter what the truck looked like. But at the end and the reservation form popped up w/ only $100, I said, what the heck, and reserved one.

I think they are acknowledging that this thing is over 3 years away from production. If they asked for huge sums, people would get cranky as the time dragged on. It also helps them bump up the reservation numbers that they report to Wall Street.

As for the pricing, they are betting on batteries becoming much cheaper in the next 3 years. Also, it should be pretty simple to manufacture. No paint, a few flat sheets of stainless steel with a couple bends in each one, etc.

We shall see!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Screenshot_20191127-073333_Facebook.jpg

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Saw a video where they were inside it. Dash is made out of..... paper. I remember years ago when Toyota used paper on some interior trim pieces for a decorative and unique look and it didn’t age well. Of course times have changed and manufacturing technology has improved but still.....paper? Guess these are only environment conscious in some regards lol.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The 7 stages of Cybertruck shock:

The reveal: This is a joke, right? Elon is joking. When are they bringing out the real truck? OMG it's over?!?! That's the real truck? WTF? That damn thing is ugly.

Stage 2: Man, I still can't believe that truck. What were they thinking? Yeah, the specs are good, but Christ, come on.

Stage 3: Hmmm. Interesting article about the shape and the engineering behind the exoskeloton. I guess they had to have a shape like that to get the structure strong enough for a 3500# payload and 14,000# tow rating while keeping the weight at the F150 range while still carrying enough batteries for a 500 mile range. Well, the engineers did their job, but I'm not so sure about the designer. I guess now that I've seen it, it's not as bad as I first thought. Still...

Stage 4: Hmmm. Interesting article on the analysis of the aerodynamics. A CD of less than .35 is pretty damn impressive for a pick up. That truck is pretty bad ass, I wish it looked better. Still, not really so bad.

Stage 5: That Cybertruck doesn't look half bad with color on it. And look at the ground clearance with no axles! I didn't know Elon grew up in South Africa four wheeling. I guess he really does know his shit about off road. Not a Jeep, but man that thing will be unstoppable for a pick up.

Stage 6: Damn, that truck really is kind of cool looking. Not pretty boy good looking, but "I'm the meanest MoFo around" bad ass good looking. Kind of makes other trucks look like pull-toys. Literally... Boy, did Ford chicken out of their challenge or what! I can see why they did though.

Stage 7: Shit, I have got to have one of those! Tesla, take my money! How the hell am I going to wait 3 years for the tri-motor version!?

Some go through the seven stages quickly, some take days or weeks, some are locked in the past. :) I ordered mine yesterday.

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
0-60 in 2.6sec.........for the 3 pickup owners that give a crap about that.....
Yeah, I've NEVER had a pickup want to race me at a stop light. LOL I think pick up owners are more likely to want to race than anyone else out there. At least around here they are.

I think the ground clearance, 3500# payload and 14,000# tow rating are all wildly better than any half ton out there, and all very important specs. As far as a 90 mile tow range, I'm curious where that comes from? I'd guess about 250... I lose 30% range while towing with my Blazer, I'm guessing 50% reduction for an EV is a pretty fair estimate. Just a guess though.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yeah, I've NEVER had a pickup want to race me at a stop light. LOL I think pick up owners are more likely to want to race than anyone else out there. At least around here they are.
I had a 95hp S10 and wanted to race people all the time. Not why I bought that truck either though :D

As far as a 90 mile tow range, I'm curious where that comes from?
This article. Guy was getting around 90mi to a charge with a teardrop trailer.

Towing a Teardrop Trailer to Flagstaff - 2016 Tesla Model X Long-Term Road Test