• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Sorry to change the subject (somewhat) but Tesla is all about S3XY CARS. :p

1582138541192.png

Just had too. :thumbsup:

Carry on...

Last edited:

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think refurbished (when properly done) is a fine avenue for many things. I've seen a dozen restored "lightly flooded and salvaged" cars run through the family with little to no problems outside of normal wear/tear. I've stopped purchasing new electronics (cellphones, and appliances mainly) opting for the refurbished units. I've only ever purchased 2 new vehicles, the rest have been used and arguably "refurbished" at some level. Sometimes as deeply as replaced engines and transmissions, other times only a cursory cleaning......At some level isn't your boat going to be "refurbished" here soon? How do you reconcile the difference between quality repairs made by an authorized shop, and something being "totaled" and being removed from the market?

I think removing the risk from the things they own is fine, and honestly, fairly prudent as well. However, I think they overstep when removing access to ALL fast chargers, even ones outside their ownership/control. They are protecting the brand at that point, not any liability they may have. Perhaps it's a "safety first" kind of thing, but it feels like an overreach to protect me from myself in most regards. I'm not sure what the right answer is here honestly. I can see both sides.
Agree.

I think we've purchased 4 new vehicles, the rest have been used. However I wouldn't purchase a flooded vehicle as there are just too many electronics in cars (not just EVs) today, and water doesn't play nicely with electronics.

Removing access to any DCFC falls under protecting the brand as well as the vehicle owner.

If damaged a pack may overheat, although there are certainly onboard diagnostics and safety features that warn you/keep you from DCFC charging if something is wrong.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
At some level isn't your boat going to be "refurbished" here soon?
I will call fixed, when/if it actually happens, but whatever dude, thanks for bringing this up, lol.
:rolleyes:

I would not buy a refurbished/flood damaged car, truck, or boat, at this stage in my life. Or a Tesla.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will call fixed, when/if it actually happens, but whatever dude, thanks for bringing this up, lol.
:rolleyes:

I would not buy a refurbished/flood damaged car, truck, or boat, at this stage in my life. Or a Tesla.

--
Wasn't trying to be a dick, I'm just curious where that line is drawn. It's a legit gray area, no matter who you are. I lost a 6.0L all aluminum LS2 V8 to the tune of about $4,500 on a refurbished/rebuilt Trailblazer I bought shortly after I purchased it. It sucked. I'm not going to say refurbished isn't for me ever again because I had one bad experience. You bought a used truck though right? I'm genuinely curious where that line is drawn? Engine replacement? Body Panel replacement? Water over the hubs, but not in the interior?

Much like wearing life vests on the boat, riding a motorcycle, or skydiving. Everyone has a different level of acceptable risk in their life. I won't buy a refurbished Tesla at this point because it might be deemed unworthy, and have essential features removed. I'll buy a salvage titled car though if I know the history, because I know GM isn't going to pinch off the fuel filler neck if they find out.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, Tesla is absolutely following in Apple's footsteps. And as long as there is no real competition and people keep buying the cars, they will keep doing what they're doing. The only answer to this is real competition to force Tesla to treat their customers well or go out of business.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wasn't trying to be a dick, I'm just curious where that line is drawn. It's a legit gray area, no matter who you are. I lost a 6.0L all aluminum LS2 V8 to the tune of about $4,500 on a refurbished/rebuilt Trailblazer I bought shortly after I purchased it. It sucked. I'm not going to say refurbished isn't for me ever again because I had one bad experience. You bought a used truck though right? I'm genuinely curious where that line is drawn? Engine replacement? Body Panel replacement? Water over the hubs, but not in the interior?

Much like wearing life vests on the boat, riding a motorcycle, or skydiving. Everyone has a different level of acceptable risk in their life. I won't buy a refurbished Tesla at this point because it might be deemed unworthy, and have essential features removed. I'll buy a salvage titled car though if I know the history, because I know GM isn't going to pinch off the fuel filler neck if they find out.
If we're talking salvage titles, it's a pretty specific category actually.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think refurbished (when properly done) is a fine avenue for many things. I've seen a dozen restored "lightly flooded and salvaged" cars run through the family with little to no problems outside of normal wear/tear. I've stopped purchasing new electronics (cellphones, and appliances mainly) opting for the refurbished units. I've only ever purchased 2 new vehicles, the rest have been used and arguably "refurbished" at some level. Sometimes as deeply as replaced engines and transmissions, other times only a cursory cleaning......At some level isn't your boat going to be "refurbished" here soon? How do you reconcile the difference between quality repairs made by an authorized shop, and something being "totaled" and being removed from the market?

I think removing the risk from the things they own is fine, and honestly, fairly prudent as well. However, I think they overstep when removing access to ALL fast chargers, even ones outside their ownership/control. They are protecting the brand at that point, not any liability they may have. Perhaps it's a "safety first" kind of thing, but it feels like an overreach to protect me from myself in most regards. I'm not sure what the right answer is here honestly. I can see both sides.
My boat came very close to acquiring a salvage title in 2017 Bimini crossing, lolol. That was fun time...
1582146920865.png

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat came very close to acquiring a salvage title in 2017 Bimini crossing, lolol. That was fun time...
--
I remember that. Poor boat took a beating on that trip, as did your head if I remember right. Still got you home though, so that's something. Hope you get some good news on your latest issues soon. Even being busy in the winter time I'm not sure I would have been as patient.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If we're talking salvage titles, it's a pretty specific category actually.

--
I get that portion of it.

My Trailblazer still had a very clean title (was a one owner truck actually), but was on it's second engine and transmission when I got it. Received it's 3rd of both shortly thereafter. There was nothing in the vehicle history, maintenance records, test drive (I actually drove it home from Winnipeg) to indicate the troubles it was hiding. Conversely, my mother in law is on her 3rd salvaged titled vehicle in the last 15 years. She buys them with just a few thousand miles from a dealership that only sells refurbs/rebuilds for a HUGE discount, then drive them until she's tired of them and repeats the process. So far, they've all been exceptionally good to her with around 75-100k miles put on each of them without any major issues.

I think the difference between the two scenarios above is 100% in the rebuilders capabilities. My rebuilder was not the gift to mechanics he thought he was, and her rebuilder clearly knows what to look out for and how to actually refurbish a vehicle.

Also, I would happily buy your boat should the occasion arise, even knowing the history of tower failure, and engine troubles. I know enough about the guy who maintains it to feel comfortable it's not going to have continuing problems.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
So we shifted from range anxiety to - "I can't get support for rebuilding the car in my garage". I see zero issues with their lack of support for cars deemed totaled/salvaged, *insert phrase here*. The amount of things to go wrong, the extremely high danger risk of those, the public perception when something fucks up and the "rebuilt" part is left out, and the extremely low demand of people wanting to rebuild all make sense to have a zero tolerance policy.

Side note - @swatski what's wrong with your engine?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we shifted from range anxiety to - "I can't get support for rebuilding the car in my garage". I see zero issues with their lack of support for cars deemed totaled/salvaged, *insert phrase here*. The amount of things to go wrong, the extremely high danger risk of those, the public perception when something fucks up and the "rebuilt" part is left out, and the extremely low demand of people wanting to rebuild all make sense to have a zero tolerance policy.

Oh, I still have range anxiety. That didn't go away I just got tired of beating that particular horse :D

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

One of my engines decided to mix oil with water, lol. Presumably cracked head. Replacing it with a Tesla EV motor. Range won’t change.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One of my engines decided to mix oil with water, lol. Presumably cracked head. Replacing it with a Tesla EV motor. Range won’t change.

We've actually had this discussion before. Would love to have electric wake/surf boat.

Quiet, batteries = ballast and could move them around for different wave characteristics.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Plus get on plane in 1.2 seconds. Rip the arms right off skiers.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Plus get on plane in 1.2 seconds. Rip the arms right off skiers.
LOL, I almost did that!!! Was on a Seadoo 3-seater jetski and with a friend on the back we pulled a skiier. He went face-plant in the water. Good-ole days...

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Back to Tesla...

I know my Model 3P cannot tow but it's worth mentioning how EVs are slowly "taking over" and how everyone is bragging about them. From CR:

1582313471565.png

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had no idea. Really? Damn, I stand corrected. Not sure if I actually would but okay, Thanks!
Here is a write-up of someone towing a 2100# trailer about 90 miles with a Model 3.

It used 50% of his battery (so total towing range would be about 180 miles or about 60% of EPA rating).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a write-up of someone towing a 2100# trailer about 90 miles with a Model 3.

It used 50% of his battery (so total towing range would be about 180 miles or about 60% of EPA rating).
That is an absurdly aerodynamic trailer in comparison to, well, just about any other trailer in existence.

Good data though, even if it is an outlier.

Glad to see a VERY on topic post too.

Also.....Looks like he did a long trip with that setup as well --> Big trip coming up - with a big trailer Not sure I would call it a big trailer though :D :D Those europeans aren't used to the open spaces like we have it appears.

I'm also WILDLY curious what it's like to trailer something with so much of the chassis BEHIND the wheels on the trailer. I get why it's that shape/size/configuration, but good grief it looks odd.

Last edited: