• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Nice! The power wall is used to store the energy produced by the panels.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That is a power wall. Does he have Solar shingles?
First time I've seen one mounted out doors. Didn't realize they were weather rated.

Would love to have a couple of these in the house as a backup system.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@grywlfbg Seems whenever the competition appears to be getting close, Elon gives us a little bit more to stay in front. About a month ago, thru a software update, I gained 5% more power; car is about 515hp and 0-60 times at 2.98 seconds. Now, they're talking about giving the S and X more range. I believe they really de-tuned their cars. Brilliant strategy IMO. I feel like a have a new car every month. I waited 7 years to get one and have no intentions on going back (ICE).
I'm not talking about their technology. I'm talking about all the backend things required to be a car company. As an example, I had a very minor deer strike in our Model S back in December. The only damage was the front bumper, hood, left headlight, and left front fender. Latest estimate is I will get the car back in early March. Most of that time has been waiting for parts. At one point I was on an e-mail thread where the Tesla parts person said that they had the parts but they had been waiting 3 weeks for shipping labels to be generated. Seriously? These are small potatoes for established companies but hard for Tesla. My comment about competition goes both ways. My hope is that Tesla will push the incumbents on the tech side, and that they will push Tesla on the "everything else" side.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
First time I've seen one mounted out doors. Didn't realize they were weather rated.

Would love to have a couple of these in the house as a backup system.
Tesla prefers to install them in your garage but they can be placed outside. They do have max temperature limits so if you are in a warm place make sure you put them somewhere shaded with plenty of airflow. My wife and I keep going back and forth on doing solar and getting some PWs. Electricity is just so cheap here it would take over 20 years to pay back. Also, we just don't get the ice storms like we used to. This year I haven't even shut off the water to our pool "house" (outdoor changing room w/ a sink and toilet) as it hasn't been cold enough for long enough for anything to freeze. Heck, today was the first time the chicken's water was frozen and it's mid-Feb.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Let me preface this by saying any company has every right to operate how they see fit. What I’d propose is what if Toyota or Ford had the same policies as those mentioned in this video:

The purpose is the weigh the pros and cons before crowning Elon as the next Jesus Christ.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Let me preface this by saying any company has every right to operate how they see fit. What I’d propose is what if Toyota or Ford had the same policies as those mentioned in this video:

The purpose is the weigh the pros and cons before crowning Elon as the next Jesus Christ.
Yea that'd be a big NO from me. Doesn't seem like you actually OWN the car you buy. Not surprising they are going after 3rd party chargers. Elon wants this market all to himself but unfortunately I think he's going to find out the hard way the future isn't all about him. I love his visionary approach with SpaceX but it ends there for me. Tesla going full retard and it's clear from the Rich Rebuild videos they aren't a fan of anyone working on their cars unless it's from Te$la.

gwrace1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
IMHO until electrics can offer similar performance, load ratings, distance, endurance, support and competitive pricing I'm sticking with my tried and true diesel truck. 36K new and 16 years later she is still performing like the day I drove her off the lot.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
......I love his visionary approach with SpaceX but it ends there for me. Tesla going full retard and it's clear from the Rich Rebuild videos they aren't a fan of anyone working on their cars unless it's from Te$la.
I've worked with both SpaceX and Tesla professionally. I can't comment at what extent or on what projects due to extremely tight NDA's, but I can say they are BOTH a giant PIA to deal with. The mentality that they are somehow "above the law" or otherwise have a different set of rules to play by clearly comes down from the top, and it appears many companies are so eager to add them to their customer portfolio, they will get walked on in the process. It's really a shitshow. The above video doesn't surprise me in even the slightest.

Now imagine if Ford or GM tried to pull that crap?!?

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If it were not for Honda and Toyota Ford and GM would be producing crap cars like they were in the 80s.
If it was not for Tesla there would be no electric cars worth a crap right now.
Not at Ford and GM don’t make good cars but if they did not have the competition they would not produce anything good.
If tesla was not making good electric cars nobody would be making any that got over 100 mile range.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I do agree they have helped push the envelope and get others onboard but that's no excuse for their actions IMO. They seem like a shady company if you don't walk and tote the line. I can't support a company like that.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

IDK... I couldn't get through the video, the guy sounds like a whiny gofundme clickbaiter type... But that's just IMO.

--

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IDK... I couldn't get through the video, the guy sounds like a whiny gofundme clickbaiter type... But that's just IMO.

--
I agree on the tone. Information was still accurate though as best I can tell. I didn't fact check the guy or anything.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Just a bit of background, this guy bought a flooded Tesla model S and rebuilt it from a wrecked one. He actually has a deep affinity for EV’s and Tesla in particular. So much so he opened a 3rd party garage to repair and service them. The main issue he’s had is that Tesla doesn’t want to support their vehicles unless a Tesla facility is doing the work. Imagine if your Toyota broke, and the only way Toyota would sell you parts is if you took it to the dealer? Oh, and while it’s in there if there are mods they don’t approve of they can either remove them unilaterally or disable your vehicle. Now imagine they could do that without you bringing it in, just checking their OTA network. The point is that Tesla, while revolutionary on the technology forefront, is sorely lacking in service and support. If they aim to displace the major players that will have to change.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cant believe I watched that for as long as I did. Gave him some unwarranted watch time!

Sorry, but I watched that video of 5 minutes skipping through to find where it said anything about Tesla stealing IP and didnt find it. IP is pretty easy to defend against in the US. Most of that video was a rant against Tesla for disabling supercharging in cars marked as "Salvaged". I'm not surprised they do that!

Can you point to the time where he covers IP theft?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Just a bit of background, this guy bought a flooded Tesla model S and rebuilt it from a wrecked one. He actually has a deep affinity for EV’s and Tesla in particular. So much so he opened a 3rd party garage to repair and service them. The main issue he’s had is that Tesla doesn’t want to support their vehicles unless a Tesla facility is doing the work. Imagine if your Toyota broke, and the only way Toyota would sell you parts is if you took it to the dealer? Oh, and while it’s in there if there are mods they don’t approve of they can either remove them unilaterally or disable your vehicle. Now imagine they could do that without you bringing it in, just checking their OTA network. The point is that Tesla, while revolutionary on the technology forefront, is sorely lacking in service and support. If they aim to displace the major players that will have to change.
The main issue is Telsa doesnt want salvaged vehicles plugged into their super high power expensive charging units. I cannot fault them for that one bit. If your car blows up at a Telsa charger because of some after market cheap part, you'll sue Telsa for a new car! Screw that! I totally understand why they want to control their super charger access. Help me understand why you wouldn't want to prevent this?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here's an interesting article on real-world towing with an electric vehicle.

Edit: One thing that occurred to me is that, maybe in the future, trailers contain batteries / regen braking, to help make up their loss. It may even be possible for a smartly designed boat trailer to store sealed batteries in the frame...

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

My post below has absolutely nothing to do with towing with a Model X...

I didn't make it all the way through the video. I know there are those who have "hacked" into the systems that operate the car and made modifications who have subsequently run in to issues with Tesla either disabling what they added and/or voiding warranty on associated systems. I guess that isn't all that different than having your warranty voided if you modify the ecu in most any other car. I dunno. I do know that Tesla is the only vehicle brand on the market (to my knowledge) that actually upgrades the car for your for free from time to time via OTA updates. You can disable the vehicle from receiving such updates if you want, but that may ultimately also result in warranty coverage issues. We've only had our Model S for a few weeks now, but it already received an update that improved the voice recognition, navigation, the rain sensing wipers, and a few other things. Several months back, they pushed out an upgrade that increased the power of the cars. That's pretty freaking cool, in my opinion. In the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser we just sold (also a truly fantastic vehicle in its own right), the nav system got more and more out of date over time and could only be updated by paying a bunch of money to a dealer. Only time will tell what our overall ownership experience will be like, but at this early stage I can tell you that I am completely impressed with this vehicle - comfortable, quiet, solid, extremely quick....and has a full "tank" every morning. Apples to orange, I know, but in the short time we've had the Tesla, we've also had a net "fuel" savings of over $500 as compared to our Land Cruiser.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree on the tone. Information was still accurate though as best I can tell. I didn't fact check the guy or anything.
Sure. But like I said before they are primarily data company, their lead in self driving data/software is what matters most on the long run. Anyone can make an electric cart. . They are light years ahead of the pack in selfdriving software and hardware/.
I think it is finally actually becoming clear to industry insiders... lol.

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My post below has absolutely nothing to do with towing with a Model X...

I didn't make it all the way through the video. I know there are those who have "hacked" into the systems that operate the car and made modifications who have subsequently run in to issues with Tesla either disabling what they added and/or voiding warranty on associated systems. I guess that isn't all that different than having your warranty voided if you modify the ecu in most any other car. I dunno. I do know that Tesla is the only vehicle brand on the market (to my knowledge) that actually upgrades the car for your for free from time to time via OTA updates. You can disable the vehicle from receiving such updates if you want, but that may ultimately also result in warranty coverage issues. We've only had our Model S for a few weeks now, but it already received an update that improved the voice recognition, navigation, the rain sensing wipers, and a few other things. Several months back, they pushed out an upgrade that increased the power of the cars. That's pretty freaking cool, in my opinion. In the 2015 Toyota Land Cruiser we just sold (also a truly fantastic vehicle in its own right), the nav system got more and more out of date over time and could only be updated by paying a bunch of money to a dealer. Only time will tell what our overall ownership experience will be like, but at this early stage I can tell you that I am completely impressed with this vehicle - comfortable, quiet, solid, extremely quick....and has a full "tank" every morning. Apples to orange, I know, but in the short time we've had the Tesla, we've also had a net "fuel" savings of over $500 as compared to our Land Cruiser.
From another owner of a Landy - tumbs up, lol.
Don't get me wrong, I love my Land Cruiser to death. It's a 2017 bought new in 2018 with all the concurrent software upgrades and it is an absolute and a complete electronic dog, it is almost hilariously bad in some regards. There are very few things in the Toyota electronics in that truck that I actually really like, including crawl control and forward/horizontal cameras but the 90% of the system feels extremely dated like an old German early 90s car really, it is almost comical. The truck has superior road capability, on and off pavement, and it does everything great including towing albeit it is not the best. One thing that's atrocious though is the fuel economy... BUt... just like my (highly modified) AR240 the Landy does everything I need it to do!
I'm trying to convince my wife to trade her 4Runner for a Model X, LOL. It's like pulling "a @robert843 ", lol.