• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I know it is impossible to give specific numbers but is it safe to assume that a electric pickup would generally get 50% of stated range when pulling a Yamaha on a hot day?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I know it is impossible to give specific numbers but is it safe to assume that a electric pickup would generally get 50% of stated range when pulling a Yamaha on a hot day?
I think that is a fair assumption. Note the battery does better in warmer temps.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I agree about 50% being a fair estimate. Heating uses far more battery capacity than cooling, which is convenient for boat owners. I picked the 3 motor spec for the range, thinking 250 miles towing range will get me between the available super chargers out there. Most times we wont need to charge given the range, but the couple of times a year we do it'll sure be nice.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Based on the data I've seen 50% would be a fair first guess. Lots of factors in there like terrain, boat size, and average speed will play into it.

An SX190 in pancake flat FL is going to be easier on the battery than a 242X in mountainous CO.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is an absurdly aerodynamic trailer in comparison to, well, just about any other trailer in existence.

Good data though, even if it is an outlier.

Glad to see a VERY on topic post too.

Also.....Looks like he did a long trip with that setup as well --> Big trip coming up - with a big trailer Not sure I would call it a big trailer though :D :D Those europeans aren't used to the open spaces like we have it appears.

I'm also WILDLY curious what it's like to trailer something with so much of the chassis BEHIND the wheels on the trailer. I get why it's that shape/size/configuration, but good grief it looks odd.
That's a trailer made for a glider. I live by a glider runway and when the fancy glider owners pull up they use those trailers.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We've actually had this discussion before. Would love to have electric wake/surf boat.

Quiet, batteries = ballast and could move them around for different wave characteristics.
They have designed them. However 2-3 hours of use is a no-go for realistic use on the water. The lack of sweet v8 rumble and soul would be an issue for me I think but it is cool for the tech lovers I suppose.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here's some data to back up the "EV's cost less to maintain than an ICEV" arguement. Owner says it was approximately comparable to a Prius. Which is a good thing considering a Model X is a significantly nicer vehicle than a Prius IMO.

$0.0725/mi is pretty cheap. I'm at $0.185/mi for maintenance AND Fuel on my 2015 GMC currently. Will need to dig through some records to figure out just maintenance per mile numbers for my vehicle. I'm only to ~93k miles as well, so I've got a ways to go before I could even begin to make a fair comparison though.

What would you guys relate a battery replacement to on an ICEV? Sorta like a gas tank, but it's way larger and more expensive so that's not a completely fair assessment. Maybe if you add in the fuel pump, sending unit, it gets closer?!?!

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Maybe I'm naive but I think most people never hit 1/2 those miles and now they're close to having batteries go 1,000,000 miles. Once that hits batteries concerns should be a mute point (for most of us).

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Here's some data to back up the "EV's cost less to maintain than an ICEV" arguement. Owner says it was approximately comparable to a Prius. Which is a good thing considering a Model X is a significantly nicer vehicle than a Prius IMO.

$0.0725/mi is pretty cheap. I'm at $0.185/mi for maintenance AND Fuel on my 2015 GMC currently. Will need to dig through some records to figure out just maintenance per mile numbers for my vehicle. I'm only to ~93k miles as well, so I've got a ways to go before I could even begin to make a fair comparison though.

What would you guys relate a battery replacement to on an ICEV? Sorta like a gas tank, but it's way larger and more expensive so that's not a completely fair assessment. Maybe if you add in the fuel pump, sending unit, it gets closer?!?!
Cost of a replacement battery is probably more like a transmission replacement and/or engine replacement. Not cheap....but extremely unusual based on what I've been able to find on the forums. Regarding maintenance costs/mile, the only way to reasonably compare is to compare with another vehicle of similar mileage. Most vehicles have pretty minimal maintenance needs in the first 100K miles other than oil changes, brake pads/rotors, tires, windsield wipers. Get into the 200K range though and I'd wager those costs start to heat up considerably - I know that all of my ICE vehicles have needed more intensive maintenance/repair once they got over the 100K mark. Things like water pumps, timing chains (although that is less common in newer vehicles), shocks/struts, transmission adjustments & fluid exchanges, etc.. I've been fortunate not to have the bigger items, but several family members and friends have needed replacement transmissions at around the 150K mark. A 2005 Mercedes we had needed an entirely new cylinder head at about 40K miles (after three head gasket replacements, they finally figured out that the head itself was flawed). Many of these things don't apply to an EV, but time will tell what comes up.

I am totally loving the Tesla Model S we bought, but I'm not a "fanboy" and I have no illusions that it is somehow perfect. Seems to be a fantastic vehicle so far, though, at the young age of about 20K miles (2k of which we have put on in the past 3 weeks).

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Are there any concerns of bathing an electric vehicle in salt water slush a few months out of the year?

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Not sure I follow, buckbuck. What do you mean by bathing? If you mean normal driving in Northern climates, then no, there are no concerns.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cost of a replacement battery is probably more like a transmission replacement and/or engine replacement. Not cheap....but extremely unusual based on what I've been able to find on the forums. Regarding maintenance costs/mile, the only way to reasonably compare is to compare with another vehicle of similar mileage. Most vehicles have pretty minimal maintenance needs in the first 100K miles other than oil changes, brake pads/rotors, tires, windsield wipers. Get into the 200K range though and I'd wager those costs start to heat up considerably - I know that all of my ICE vehicles have needed more intensive maintenance/repair once they got over the 100K mark. Things like water pumps, timing chains (although that is less common in newer vehicles), shocks/struts, transmission adjustments & fluid exchanges, etc.. I've been fortunate not to have the bigger items, but several family members and friends have needed replacement transmissions at around the 150K mark. A 2005 Mercedes we had needed an entirely new cylinder head at about 40K miles (after three head gasket replacements, they finally figured out that the head itself was flawed). Many of these things don't apply to an EV, but time will tell what comes up.

I am totally loving the Tesla Model S we bought, but I'm not a "fanboy" and I have no illusions that it is somehow perfect. Seems to be a fantastic vehicle so far, though, at the young age of about 20K miles (2k of which we have put on in the past 3 weeks).
I 100% agree. Any comparison I'm making now is completely anecdotal with my current rate of maintenance. Getting a GM pickup to 400k will certainly ratchet those expenses up significantly.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
CNBC did a 48 minute piece on Tesla and Elon Musk. Quite long but very good. Check it out here.

1582482243254.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been awhile since we talked Tesla's. Towing or not.

Saw this article come across my feed this afternoon. I think Tesla should be more clear on how they are approaching these features. Either way is fine, just make a decision and be consistent.

Secondarily, I thought it was rather humorous that I passed a Tesla Field Service van on the expressway yesterday. It was a Ford Transit. Clearly NOT an electric version as evidenced by the tailpipe sticking out the back of it. Rather interesting that Tesla itself doesn't have fully electric vehicles in place for it's service crews, which leads credibility to MANY of the points made here about working vehicles not being ready for full electrification yet. Wonder if the service vehicles will become Cyber trucks, or if they'll continue to be smaller ICE powered vehicles?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saw this survey on GM-Trucks.com this morning.......I seriously can't believe this many people are opposed to full electric.....almost 1k responses from current truck owners.

Capture.JPG

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I had free service work performed. They came to me. I thought was pretty kool. They put on a rear spoiler and a Dual Motors badge. His frunk and hatch were filled with parts and tools. He was in a model S.

1584629510823.png

1584629686838.png

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been awhile with no discussion in here. Found this video the other day while looking for something else.

Family is "downgrading" ???? from an F350 and large camper to a Model X and a smaller camper. Just posted this a few weeks ago, I see they have a few follow up videos as well. Going to attempt to watch through these on breaks today and such.

I'm really interested to see how they like the switch. They had a helluva setup before!

***EDIT**
Here's the initial tow video. Looks like around 850-ish Whr/mi. Roughly 100 miles range. Gotta skip through some boring parts to find the info though :D

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They've made their first trip.

First half was smooth.

Second half with a headwind not so much. They made it back with 3 miles of range to spare, after dropping towing speed to 53mph on the interstate.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
100 miles of towing - pass. I love the idea, but it's just not there yet.

Remington

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
hey sorry im late to the thread here, i currently own a Model 3 and a Nissan Titan, we live about 20 miles from our normal lake and 50 miles from our next choice lake. Im trying to see if its worth trading in the Titan for a used model X, until the Cybertruck finally arrives in a couple of years. i only read a couple of pages in this thread and was wondering what the final verdict was in regards to launching and towing with the X. 2020 AR190 so the weight of our boat is well within the specs. We love our model 3, had it just over a year now and nearly 30k miles on it even with the pandemic slowing us down lol