• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man, I just can't get behind the Cybertruk. To many answers to questions nobody ever asked. Sure the tech will be great, and Tesla still holds the (now diminishing) lead in EV efficiency and manufacturing. They're making the same mistakes of creating a car around tech instead of creating tech around the car, add in the polarizing style and IMO, it's an "also ran" in the EV truck market. Ford is poised to take that market by storm, and will be the front runner. Rivian will be a close second I think. GM needs to get moving on the Silverado version they've been teasing. The Hummer is too much like the Cybertruk, more sizzle thank steak.

Talking about tech in the pickup market; my uncle has one of the new "Powerboost" hybrid F150s. Power went out at the river house a few weeks ago. He just backed the truck up to the side of the house and turned on and plugged in the built in generator and let it run overnight. Powered the fridge, TV, A/C, and some lights for the evening until the power company got the issue resolved. That same battery/generator/motor setup gets him almost 30mpg on long road trips. THAT, is usable tech for a pickup owner that is applicable and, IMO, the evolutionary kind of improvement the segment needs. You talk to farmers, construction workers, developers, or anyone else that relies on the supreme flexibility of a top tier pickup, and you'll find these are the kinds of features they need/want, not bullet proof glass or stainless steel exoskeleton construction, or matching electric ATV's. Point being, in terms of "knowing your market", Tesla is an outsider here in comparison to Ford/GM/Dodge. Tesla just doesn't have the data to play, and the publicity stunt of the Cybertruk shows that. I do think that it will find some buyers, and it will likely do what it's been sold as, but I don't think it'll be the sales leader in EV pickups once GM/Ford/Rivian come online with sales.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I watched the debut of the Cybertruk, they stated everything you did about the Ford. In a since, the other manufacturers copied it. But like you said, I think Ford with its huge following will dominate the truck market. Now, I wish my M3P could power my home in a power outage (seems to happen a lot where I live :( )

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I watched the debut of the Cybertruk, they stated everything you did about the Ford. In a since, the other manufacturers copied it. But like you said, I think Ford with its huge following will dominate the truck market. Now, I wish my M3P could power my home in a power outage (seems to happen a lot where I live :( )
Does Tesla let you use the car as a "powerwall" at any level? Seems silly not to at some level right? Aren't the power walls essentially repurposed car batteries?

I'm uncertain how the other manufacturers copied the Cybertruk. Can you expound on that? From where I sit, the only thing the Cybertruk has that is any level of revolutionary are the SS exterior, fancy glass, and overall shape. AWD, Electric Driveline, air suspension, lockable beds, 4 doors, 8 passengers are all "existing" tech. Aside from the electric driveline, you can walk into a dealership today, plunk down cash and take delivery of a pickup with all those features today. Not sure where the copying came from? Genuinely curious, not being combative (hard to convey that in text)

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Unless the Ts are setup to do that (expel power), none can. Maybe a software update can change that???

I have never heard of any truck that can power equipment or a home at any job site without the use of a gas generator (which take up space in the back; gas jugs and gen). It might not be revolutionary but they did make it extremely convenient. I believe this will be a new (upcoming) standard in all EV trucks. Maybe it'll pass onto cars? 🤞

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Read the other day of trailers being equipped with batteries to help EVs travel further. I like this idea a lot. It would help with range anxiety. Only drawback is charging time. Thoughts?

Edit: Sorry if this was brought up already. Didn't read back thru 52 pages.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Read the other day of trailers being equipped with batteries to help EVs travel further. I like this idea a lot. It would help with range anxiety. Only drawback is charging time. Thoughts?

Edit: Sorry if this was brought up already. Didn't read back thru 52 pages.
Yea, we hashed through the EV's towing trailers with batteries a few pages back. Lots of other stuff between there and here.

General consensus is it's not ideal for a marine environment (constant dunking, and general shape issues), but is promising for the RV/Cargo segment. Lots of "this is new and weird" thoughts. I, personally, think it's a great idea. Make the whole RV electric devices, so you can run the "house" off the same battery, then charge it while at the site. Assuming a weekend stay, with minimal "running around" in the vehicle, then there's enough juice coming out of a standard 30A 230V service to refill the vehicle and trailer. Make it a 2-3 day stay and there is more than enough to refill completely. Charging time on road trips becomes an issue, and would require fast DC charging for TWO devices at the same time, so maybe not as practical there.

Side benefit is parking without the tow vehicle since the trailer is powered. Drive it like an RC Car into your parking/camping spot. Some neat functionality, but is more sizzle than steak IMO.

Definitely tech worth continuing to develop.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Unless the Ts are setup to do that (expel power), none can. Maybe a software update can change that???

I have never heard of any truck that can power equipment or a home at any job site without the use of a gas generator (which take up space in the back; gas jugs and gen). It might not be revolutionary but they did make it extremely convenient. I believe this will be a new (upcoming) standard in all EV trucks. Maybe it'll pass onto cars? 🤞
Yea, the new Powerboost runs the gas engine and turns the traction motor into a generator. I think it's a 7.2kW generator as well, which is significantly large for home use. The convenience is through the roof in terms of backup power supply here.

Here's how it works.

EDIT

here's a Car and Driver Article on it. Has a neat picture of charging a Mustang Mach-E from teh tailgate of the F-150, which is wildly impractical, but kinda humorous :D :D

Last edited:

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sound like fun I thought about taking the model X to cars and coffee a few times but never did it.

The supercharger network is what originally pushed me to Tesla as well. I keep waiting to see if they release it to other manufactures as hinted by Tesla that will eliminate a lot of concern but as I mentioned earlier we rarely take the EV on road trips anyways we prefer the ICE cars still on those so trading the X for a R1S really doesn't concern us too much on charging.

I have a Cyber Truck on order as well and plan to replace my Gas F250 with it as long as it hits the 500 mile+ projected range but I'm very skeptical it will and if it does I'm thinking it will be 3-4 years before we see it. I won't be shocked if we see the release of it start in a tri motor model with 300 ish mile range some time in 2023 I don't think we will see any real production in 2022 either which will put most of us who didn't order the first night waiting till 2024 which may not be a bad thing as they maybe there on their battery tech at that time to make the 500 mile range model. @Peelz if you are considering ordering one I would probably just do it now as you probably have already missed that window to pick one up in two years I would think reservations right now would easily be looking at a late 2024 early 2025 delivery at the earliest with the amount of orders they have.
The dual motor is 300, thats what i'm leaning towards. Same stats as the LR Y with a bed but better towing.

I wont need a new vehicle for a couple years at least. so NO rush. IM watching Rivian pretty closely as well.

Im really hoping someone starts to redesign these charger spots to allow a "pull through" design. Only pause im having, is our favorite lake access is 140 mile ROUND trip. Towing I think it might be close(though we havent tried yet) wed need to hit the charger up there, but it wont be easy. its in the corner of a parking lot....

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Yea, we hashed through the EV's towing trailers with batteries a few pages back. Lots of other stuff between there and here.

General consensus is it's not ideal for a marine environment (constant dunking, and general shape issues), but is promising for the RV/Cargo segment. Lots of "this is new and weird" thoughts. I, personally, think it's a great idea. Make the whole RV electric devices, so you can run the "house" off the same battery, then charge it while at the site. Assuming a weekend stay, with minimal "running around" in the vehicle, then there's enough juice coming out of a standard 30A 230V service to refill the vehicle and trailer. Make it a 2-3 day stay and there is more than enough to refill completely. Charging time on road trips becomes an issue, and would require fast DC charging for TWO devices at the same time, so maybe not as practical there.

Side benefit is parking without the tow vehicle since the trailer is powered. Drive it like an RC Car into your parking/camping spot. Some neat functionality, but is more sizzle than steak IMO.

Definitely tech worth continuing to develop.
Totally agree on the dunking repeatedly especially in salt water. Good conversation. Thanks!

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ive been playing with the configurator on Rivian's website. its looking pretty damned good. Save for the charge network which is my MAIN draw to future Tesla vehicles.

Still uncertain about the cyber truck.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was super jazzed about most of these electric trucks, until I took a multi-state road trip this summer. It quickly became apparent to me at the various rest stops that there is zero charging infrastructure for trucks that tow things. Every charge station I saw (Tesla and the others) was setup for a car only. And relatively small cars, at that. If I were towing a boat any distance and needed to charge, I simply don't know how I could do that unless I disconnected the boat/trailer somewhere, went over the charge station, and hoped that my boat/trailer was still there when I went back to pick it up. I've tried to read about future truck-related charge-station plans and frankly can't find anything of substance that gives me comfort for the cost of these trucks.

So, for me, the only electrified truck of interest right now is the F150 hybrid. Although I just want it with some leather seats, and unfortunately that pushes the starting price north of $70k. So I'm back to being less excited these days. Maybe in a few years things will start to change.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ive been playing with the configurator on Rivian's website. its looking pretty damned good. Save for the charge network which is my MAIN draw to future Tesla vehicles.

Still uncertain about the cyber truck.

Read that article yesterday. Mostly good things to say about it as best I can read.

Boss has one on reservation. He hasn't been contacted by a guide yet, but I suspect he will be soon. He has an email chain of talking with them about his willingness to be an early adopter on these.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I was super jazzed about most of these electric trucks, until I took a multi-state road trip this summer. It quickly became apparent to me at the various rest stops that there is zero charging infrastructure for trucks that tow things. Every charge station I saw (Tesla and the others) was setup for a car only. And relatively small cars, at that. If I were towing a boat any distance and needed to charge, I simply don't know how I could do that unless I disconnected the boat/trailer somewhere, went over the charge station, and hoped that my boat/trailer was still there when I went back to pick it up. I've tried to read about future truck-related charge-station plans and frankly can't find anything of substance that gives me comfort for the cost of these trucks.

So, for me, the only electrified truck of interest right now is the F150 hybrid. Although I just want it with some leather seats, and unfortunately that pushes the starting price north of $70k. So I'm back to being less excited these days. Maybe in a few years things will start to change.
I think this could be fixed with simply longer cords. Most Tesla Stations you have to back into. If I could pull in forward and have the cord reach the back of the truck, then I could leave the trailer attached. Might bug some people that a trailer is halfway in the parking lot but chargers are far enough away from everything else.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yea, the new Powerboost runs the gas engine and turns the traction motor into a generator. I think it's a 7.2kW generator as well, which is significantly large for home use. The convenience is through the roof in terms of backup power supply here.

Here's how it works.

EDIT

here's a Car and Driver Article on it. Has a neat picture of charging a Mustang Mach-E from teh tailgate of the F-150, which is wildly impractical, but kinda humorous :D :D

From what I understand, there's a 2.4-kW system that’s standard on the new F-150 hybrid, but the 7.2-kW system is optional on the hybrid. I can't seem to find the cost differential between the two. Looking at the window stickers of my local dealer, the one's they currently have available are only the 2.4kW versions which is a lot less exciting to me. I already have a small gas generator in the garage that puts out 2.4kW.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We now have two of these Hybrid F150's in the family. Both the guys absolutely love them. both are reporting mid-high 20's for mileage, and both of them have already used the built in generator more than once to power the house. One guy runs a crew of construction guys and uses the generator several times a week to power tools on site. Said it's a significant upgrade in capability for him since he no longer has to lug his own generator around with him, and doesn't have to worry about power on site. Batteries and tools are run at the tailgate, not at the power pole, or wherever else he can find power.

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I think this could be fixed with simply longer cords. Most Tesla Stations you have to back into. If I could pull in forward and have the cord reach the back of the truck, then I could leave the trailer attached. Might bug some people that a trailer is halfway in the parking lot but chargers are far enough away from everything else.
Based on the charge stations I personally saw available on the interstates, a longer cord wouldn't have helped (I'm sure there are some where it would). The problem I saw was that there simply wasn't room in the parking lots to fit the combined length of a truck+trailer combo without being in everyone's way or blocking traffic.

I agree with you that pull-though charge station configurations would go a long way to help out the situation. But for now, I can't personally justify the headache of not knowing what I would find when I need a charge while towing.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
gas pumps are pull through. i feel like solved this energy replenishment configuration problem some time ago. anyone know why we left that model?

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

cant really disagree with any of that!

BUT.

The infrastructure is growing. Even then, I do wish towing would start to be taken into account in how they lay them out. "pull through" setup would be better than the "in the corner of the lot and have to back in" layout. wwould be insanely nice iof at some point there becomes a queueing problem... which I did experience once In CO. Tryin to charge during peak hours was Kind of a hot mess-if IM being honest. so, we would charge the car before we headed back to the condo each night....

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

cant really disagree with any of that!

BUT.

The infrastructure is growing. Even then, I do wish towing would start to be taken into account in how they lay them out. "pull through" setup would be better than the "in the corner of the lot and have to back in" layout. wwould be insanely nice iof at some point there becomes a queueing problem... which I did experience once In CO. Tryin to charge during peak hours was Kind of a hot mess-if IM being honest. so, we would charge the car before we hit the condo.

gas pumps are pull through. i feel like solved this energy replenishment configuration problem some time ago. anyone know why we left that model?
yup. make ev charging this way.

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Space. Gas stations cover a pretty big area. EV stations fit where existing parking spaces are. That said, pull through will become important in the future as more toys are towed and when semi trucks switch to electric. Until now it hasn't been a need.