• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Does Tesla do regular speed limit sign recognition? Audi does that, and has an option to set the speed of the cruise based on the signs it reads. I have that turned off as it's another thing out of my control that I'm not super happy with, but it's a neat feature.
Yes, Tesla has speed limit sign recognition. They use a combination of map speed limits which are then replaced with the speed limit sign recognition. A couple of years ago the system was pretty terrible, but today with all of the software updates the speed limits are super accurate.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just saw this as well.

Rivian wins the race to first production electric truck as best I can tell. I'm sure Ford, Chevy, Ram, and Tesla aren't far behind though.

Also this:

Says the R1S uses 490wh/mi with a 135kWh pack. Seems a shade higher than the ModelX, but not absurdly so considering the R1S is as aerodynamic as a brick in comparison to the sleek ModelX. 316mi range for the R1S (unloaded).

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just watched this

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Me and my wife have talked about putting a deposit on the SUV Rivian.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just watched this

I watched that this morning as well. Probably the best review on the Rivian so far IMO. Although the KBB one is pretty good also.

I'm becoming more and more of a fan of the Rivian, the more I watch the more I like it.

Boss still hasn't been contacted about his as of yesterday. He was an "early" deposit holder, so he's expecting something this year. I'm really excited to see how it does. Was talking to him at lunch yesterday, and there's a chance we'll get a tow test out of it pretty quickly. He does wood working at a large scale (has a portable mill in his backyard), and often picks up downed trees for people so long as he gets to keep the wood. He's very curious about how well the Rivian is going to handle that. Of course his trips are all "in town" for that sort of tow, so range isn't an issue for him in that regard but I'm sure we'll get some towing feedback in short order.

Interesting note though.....They took his F150 on vacation to FL this year instead of his wifes Model X. I asked why, and he said it came down to not having to charge along the way, the space to take "stuff" with them, and finally, the flexibility once down there. Of all the things he wanted to deal with on vacation with the family, keeping a full charge at the hotel wasn't on his list, so they took the truck. Right, wrong, or indifferent that was the verdict from them. I asked how that would work for next years vacation and his response was pretty interesting. "We're not taking that much crap again, and we'll fly down and rent a car". The drive was just a PIA in general for him and he's not going to mess with it in the future. So, road trips and charging network aren't even a blip on the radar for his purchasing decision.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
well. we have 11k on the Model Y already in 4.5 months. We have to replace the windshield... wife drives crazy and follows close lol Pretty expensive, tesla the only one who makes em :/

but still. I don't see myself buying another ICE car or truck. I estimate savings of $700-1000 over that time, charging mostly at home.

REALLY want to eyeball that Rivian.

We're Leaving on another 500 mile trip today.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
well. we have 11k on the Model Y already in 4.5 months. We have to replace the windshield... wife drives crazy and follows close lol Pretty expensive, tesla the only one who makes em :/

but still. I don't see myself buying another ICE car or truck. I estimate savings of $700-1000 over that time, charging mostly at home.

REALLY want to eyeball that Rivian.

We're Leaving on another 500 mile trip today.
My wife keeps hinting she wants a v8 again. She loved her Charger, although a much inferior car, but she still likes idea of Rivian SUV. I think we will make one last run with loud powerful ICE engines before they fade into history (especially if they bring back the TrackHawk).

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife keeps hinting she wants a v8 again. She loved her Charger, although a much inferior car, but she still likes idea of Rivian SUV. I think we will make one last run with loud powerful ICE engines before they fade into history (especially if they bring back the TrackHawk).
there are a couple cars that have tempted us. But the game has changed for us already since taking the test drive, and completely been rebuilt since owning.

Tesla destroys all but the quickest cars, I now enjoy the novelty of the spaceship acceleration lol

For the bikes though.... still gonna burn dead dinosaurs for as long as possible! lol

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Rivian towing a boat.......

The more I see them the more I like them!
I'm waiting to hear they open the supercharger network to them, I think Ill bite...unless Cybertruck comes out and is as compelling as promised-we'll see.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm waiting to hear they open the supercharger network to them, I think Ill bite...unless Cybertruck comes out and is as compelling as promised-we'll see.
I think Tesla has opened Superchargers in Sweden to other vehicles now as a test to see how it works out.

Be a really big deal if they do that for the US as well.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think Tesla has opened Superchargers in Sweden to other vehicles now as a test to see how it works out.

yep I'm watching closely. It makes a difference how we use our cars.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

Not sure how I feel about this. On the surface its great for EVs, however this could really clog up the Tesla chargers.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure how I feel about this. On the surface its great for EVs, however this could really clog up the Tesla chargers.
10/10! I'm conflicted. There are some spots that will be overrun. Not a problem here. yet though lol its pretty barren.

I said it before, but someone needs to start designing them as PULL THROUGH, like gas pumps. Maybe thats happening elsewhere, where the demand is higher, but here, were still buried in the back of grocery store parking lots. ITs a pain if its peak usage time.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bet that they'll only give up a percentage of chargers for other makes. IE- Always keep one or two open for last minute Tesla vehicles.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
10/10! I'm conflicted. There are some spots that will be overrun. Not a problem here. yet though lol its pretty barren.

I said it before, but someone needs to start designing them as PULL THROUGH, like gas pumps. Maybe thats happening elsewhere, where the demand is higher, but here, were still buried in the back of grocery store parking lots. ITs a pain if its peak usage time.
Im sure its coming! Like a truck stop but high end.....plug in and go inside to drink coffee and mingle with the other EV owners.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Huge loss of competitive advantage from Tesla as well. Many owners bought Tesla owners specifically bought for the charging network.

Great for EVs in general though.

I was at the local bike shop last week, and at 7pm on a random Wednesday, Louisville KY's only supercharger was over half full. Capacity once open to all EVs will most certainly be an issue.

Interesting times.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
uhhh I think Im in love guys.

Getting interesting to see what can be done with an entirely new breed of drivetrain coming out. THe only thing I ask of that F100 ev is that it smell like a 1978 inside. You know... dirt, oil and old vinyl

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep, that 300 straight 6 with the oil leaking out the valve cover to the exhaust manifold. That brings back memories.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yep, that 300 straight 6 with the oil leaking out the valve cover to the exhaust manifold. That brings back memories.
HAHAH!!! yes!

My dad's 78 had a Cleveland 351 in it. Had a rust hole on the passenger side floor right above one of the exhaust pipes. We got home from the grocery store "mom it smells like smoke, somethings on fire" ME: *looks down* "oh shiiiiiiiittttt" iced oatmeal cookies were sizzlin! LOL

I loved that old truck. 4 speed OD, massive torque. It was near impossible to drive it without screeching tires. (and who would want to?)

:cool: