• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know I sound like I love ICE and hate EVs.
Betik, if you don;t stop we will have no choice but to call the real ICE and have them sent you back to Greece, along with your Prius, lol.
:p:p:p

EDIT: I'm kidding of course. Just in case it's not obvious.

--

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Betik, if you don;t stop we will have no choice but to call the real ICE and have them sent you back to Greece, along with your Prius, lol.
:p:p:p
--
I will I will. I just excited some times LOL

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Betik , I disagree , but sure. Say the M3 will only be worth $5K. Add in your 4k worth of Mx, add 1K for the Mx on the M3 and you're still at $8k cheaper for the M3. Throw in a failed trans on the Corolla (There aren't a lot of Corollas with over 200K floating around), which is likely in my experience and now you're at $12k or $13K cheaper on the M3. None of this even factors in the peace of mind that if my wife or myself has a heart attack in a M3, the car pulls over and parks. In a Corolla she's just dead and maybe takes someone else with her. Hard to put a price on that, but I actually love my wife so I put a pretty high value on that. Seriously put a hole in my numbers; you haven't yet. I really would like you to if you can, because that could save me a bunch of money. Once I buy the car then not so much. The price of gas makes a difference where you live, not so much here. Even where you live though, I still don't see it changing the verdict.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, I'm not sure I would agree, very rare for me to say something like that about any of your comments if I may add! lol.

A x tesla high end models push 6,000lbs curb weight. With most of it planted mere 5 inches off of the ground, the center of gravity is ridiculously low there.
Add suction from that low, flat floor, w/ air suspension lowering for the highway, and lets not forget the absolutely crazy-a$$ traction control and braking on all 4 wheels, stability for towing at highway speeds is likely on par with tractor trailers...

--
Very solid points. My concerns would be more around stock tires, wheel base, suspension travel, balance point of the chassis (weight is mid to rear) with high leverage point of hitch, and deflection within the chassis at moment of inertia. Should all be ok but I like a good buffer zone. Of course I am the type that builds a custom trailer tongue scale with digital readout accurate to less than a pound so I am more than a bit on the safe side to say the least. My opinions should always include a consider the source disclosure ;-)

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was a prototype vehicle not a production. Basically made to take it to the limit and see what fails. Something did. But again, prototype
Absolutely. Cars break down on the track all the time, using that as evidence of anything is less than--OK there's really no way to say this without being rude. My race car driver buddy had a near new BMW race car that set him back $150k crash on it's second outing. The crash was horrific looking; looked like he died. He was OK, thank God. Does that mean BMWs are bad cars or unreliable? No, it means shit breaks at the track--a lot. Duh.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Nakk my Stazi friend from the East Germany said that I should stop, so I will. if you want to carry on please do send me a PM. Will be glad to chat further.

I agree that affection towards your spouse is priceless and peace of mind is well worth $27K. My own wife drives a very cute POS Mini Cooper, but it makes her happy so I gladly paid for it and will do so for another one. But not because it makes financial sense though.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If they could build a pick up with a 700 mile range, can tow 12k, does 0-60 in 4 sec, 1/4 in 12s.. and keep it under 70k - I would probably be first in line.
Do they make a gas truck that is sub 4 seconds with a 12K tow capacity and a 700 mile range per tank that is under 70K?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow this thread blew up sorry I have not been on for a bit. I hope to tow for the first time with the model X this weekend and I will report feed back. I'm by no means a Tesla fan boy but I was looking to replace my prius that is 6 years old with 250,000 miles and decide to go to the tesla dealer to drive a model 3 and model S to decide if one could fit my needs and the wife joined me. She walked in very closed minded and thought tesla's were stupid and knew there was no way she wanted anything to do with one. After test driving a model 3 and a model s she asked to see a model X and it was done. I'm with most I'm not the biggest fan of the model 3 and honestly a 2016 model s 75 used is a better value then a model 3 especially if you buy it used from tesla where they give you basically a new car warranty on it. I saw one the other day on their site for $37,000 and almost bought it as well. These cars are not the best trip cars but as mentioned earlier for 95% of your driving the are more fun and more convenient then a traditional gas car. My wife will never have to stop at a gas station again when she is running late to work or trying to get the kids to school. She will never have to plan time on a Saturday to drop the car off for an oil change. One thing she is struggling getting used to is the attention the Model X attracts every time those stupid falcon wing rear doors open people come and ask her about the car and comment about them. She said yesterday she had a porsche driver stop 10 car lengths short of the cars in front of him on the road just to check out her car. I still know we will need to keep a gas car for long trips but she seems to be enjoying the car locally a lot other then the attention it gets.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Do they make a gas truck that is sub 4 seconds with a 12K tow capacity and a 700 mile range per tank that is under 70K?
Already asked and answered... no otherwise me and probably several people here would own it. The Ram TRX will probably be very close on all those numbers next year. The Raptor isn’t too far off, just lacks the power and the off road suspension prevents maximum towing capacity. Not sure the gas tank but with a 33 gallon tank it could cover 600 miles.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Already asked and answered... no otherwise me and probably several people here would own it. The Ram TRX will probably be very close on all those numbers next year. The Raptor isn’t too far off, just lacks the power and the off road suspension prevents maximum towing capacity. Not sure the gas tank but with a 33 gallon tank it could cover 600 miles.
I bet a modded 2500 pickup could get there. Has most everything but the sub 4sec 0-60 off the showroom floor.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I bet a modded 2500 pickup could get there. Has most everything but the sub 4sec 0-60 off the showroom floor.
Some of the tunes really get those things to insane power numbers. Only problem I could see is cost - that 1000tq diesel is like a 12k up-charge by it's self.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Some of the tunes really get those things to insane power numbers. Only problem I could see is cost - that 1000tq diesel is like a 12k up-charge by it's self.
Oh yea, it's not cheap by any stretch. I bet $70k could get you a 2500 pickup with enough mods to 0-60 under 4sec, an auxiliary fuel tank to get your 700mi range, and your 12k tow rating.

Hell you can get a Duramax powered Suburban from the Duraburb guys down in FL for around that price.....Then you could add "seats 8" to the feature list as well :D :D

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my f150 . I have the 33 gallon tank , I range a 724 miles most of the time. My daughter and I last year drove back from Durango Co to Edmond, OK. That is roughly a 790 mile drive from the ski resort to home. With a wind at our back, we had the fuel to get back by the hair on my chin. We ended up stopping because we both had to use the restroom. I was tempted not to fill up, just so I could say I made it on one tank. Without the wind aid I would have had to stop 50 miles before we did. 724 miles / 33 gallons = 21.93 MPG on long trips I typically get 23-24 mpg with all our ski gear in the back.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
F150 would be either a 23, 26, or 36 gallon tank.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On my f150 . I have the 33 gallon tank , I range a 724 miles most of the time. My daughter and I last year drove back from Durango Co to Edmond, OK. That is roughly a 790 mile drive from the ski resort to home. With a wind at our back, we had the fuel to get back by the hair on my chin. We ended up stopping because we both had to use the restroom. I was tempted not to fill up, just so I could say I made it on one tank. Without the wind aid I would have had to stop 50 miles before we did. 724 miles / 33 gallons = 21.93 MPG on long trips I typically get 23-24 mpg with all our ski gear in the back.
You would have had to stop 2-3 times with the Model X for about 1.5 hours.

I used to drive WI to MD (stopping once for gas). Now I stop 3-4 times. It does take an extra 1.5 hours, but I am much more refreshed when I get there since I have shorter legs of the trip.

The unfortunate byproduct is that I have now trained my bladder (or maybe because I am getting older) that I will be stopping every 2.5-3 hours. Lol.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Part of the feeling refreshed is also the autopilot. It makes such a difference for me in terms of not feeling tense or drained.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Part of the feeling refreshed is also the autopilot. It makes such a difference for me in terms of not feeling tense or drained.
I feel I would struggle with the auto-pilot. I don't even like to use cruise control lol.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I feel I would struggle with the auto-pilot. I don't even like to use cruise control lol.
Eventually you come to welcome your new technological overlords... resistance is futile.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wifes new Nissan has lane keep assist, and dynamic cruise control. Took me a while to trust it, but these two alone have eased the stress of driving quite a bit. We regularly (once a month) make a 300mi trip to her parents house. We can usually get it done in one leg in her car. Two in my truck. Her car is much easier to drive with the fancier drvier aids in it.