• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Towing with Tesla Model X

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wasn't much work. I've looked at this extensively before doing my own research.

What about them?

They're from the old school where "they know how to get things done, and don't need all this new technology stuff". Throw some racism in there, maybe add an open carry for good measure and you get the idea. Often appear wearing a white tank top, ripped jeans and work boots upon arrival and disembarking whichever farm implement they happen to be driving that day.

For some more backstory, you should hear the jokes that a particular uncle got for buying a used pickup that he thought was 4wd, only to learn it was really 2wd by getting it stuck in wet grass in his front yard. It was an honest (and expensive) mistake on his part, but boy do we not let him live that one down. We give each other a RIDICULOUSLY hard time over little things like that, however we all know that a 2am wake up call will get answered, and we'll have boots on the ground in minutes working to solve whatever prompted the call.

It's very much generational, and the wife and I are raising our boys to be some of the first to break away from the mold that has previously been set. We let logic, common sense, and data drive most of our decisions, but don't completely discount the value of "feeling good about your decision", and sometimes that isn't logical. This is where we land on the EV fence so to speak. We want the data to work, and for some instances it does. For her car, an EV would work IF.....the Model 3 was a bit larger in the back seat, OR if the Model X was a little less expensive (neither of us like the Model S styling) We're both tall, and felt the Model 3 was cramped for a rear facing car seat and our frames. The model X is too much money for our fleet. Maybe if we sold the boat, but that isn't on the table. Our neighbors have a Model 3, and it's nice, just not for us. With our current stable of one car for her, one for me, and a boat. I get the tow vehicle, she needs room for the car seats, and the boat gets garage priority. We don't have a model x for the same reason we don't have a 242XE; money.

When the dust settles over all this, I really want you to understand that I'm not against EVs. They just don't work for us yet. We're watching them, and are ready for them. They just aren't there yet. We have friends and neighbors with them. They love them, and tell us that every time we see them (seriously this is almost as bad as Vegans, and Coss-fitters), but I get it. When you have something that you are passionate about, you want everyone to know, and everyone else to enjoy the same feelings you are enjoying. I get it, I really do.

Cheers!
Sorry, mistook your response for another from Liftr (thus why I asked the question about your other parents).

I don't remember you needing to plug in at your parents' (other than the joke about the extension cord)?

🍻

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Tesla makes cars cheaper than 70k and there are other makers of EV, but yeah you aren't buying an EV errand run vehicle unless have some cash to spend.
True, but I'm solely interested in trucks only. I'm sure the electric trucks will be $70k plus. The Rivian R1T starts at $69k. My wife and I currently have two vehicles, and would never take on a 3rd to save on gas because it would probably never pay for itself. I think my goal would be to replace my wife's 2017 Acura RDX with an EV when the time comes for her to upgrade.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Mode 3, which is arguably the best suited for around town/commuter duty, costs considerably less than $70K. Still not a cheap ride at 40-50K, but across the board new vehicles seem to be getting very expensive!

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sorry, mistook your response for another from Liftr (thus why I asked the question about your other parents).

I don't remember you needing to plug in at your parents' (other than the joke about the extension cord)?

🍻
Interesting that this happened. It kind of proves my earlier point.

You have came off as condescending and argumentative without paying close attention to anyone’s post but your own.

As a “stats guy” I would think you would assess the facts as presented before making a reply.
It’s all good, but I think we could all benefit from slowing down just a little bit.

Old quote from school, I hope you can appreciate:
“There are lies, damn lies, and statistics “.
🍺

Last edited:

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Speaking of the Rivian, it's ugly and looks tiny. Doesn't look tough at all. The F150 on the other hand would be my choice if going electric.

rivian.pngf150.png

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The president of the company I work for drives a Model S. My company installed this in his parking spot.

D33FB615-C804-4C85-881B-83C5FE179FED.jpeg

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah, I'd agree that the styling of that Rivian leaves much to be desired!

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Interesting that this happened. It kind of proves my earlier point.

You have came off as condescending and argumentative without paying close attention to anyone’s post but your own.

As a “stats guy” I would think you would assess the facts as presented before making a reply.

Old quote from school, I hope you can appreciate:
“There are lies, damn lies, and statistics “.
🍺
Actually I've tried to pay pretty close attention. Mistook one person talking about his parents' house as another. Apologized.

BTW, did a quick scan of the thread for FUD (I'm sure there are more):
  • Wondering if I was going to make it home to the point that I turned off the heater/ac, stereo and sometimes even the headlights while pulling into the slow lane in case the car just died and I had to push it onto the shoulder
  • There is also the cost, $5k + inststslled. After spending $50k (I’ve heard model 3s can be purchased for $35k but don’t know anyone or seen a $35k model yet, that I know of) on a Tesla I’d be hard pressed to lay down another $5k to charge it faster.
  • The fear mongering about “EV’s cars is inevitable and accept it or be passed” mentality is laughable.
  • I can buy, and wear out 3 economy cars, gas included, before I would reach the purchase price of a Tesla.
  • I’m not interested in the expense of adding an outlet, as a crutch, just to make a $100K car capable of making the trip.
  • BTW, did you read about the poor Californians whose Tesla cars were turned into paper weights with the recent power outage?
  • Here are my major hang ups;
    1. Spending $100K on a car!
    2. Having to plan my activities around servicing said $100K car.
Still waiting for anyone to point out where I said something that was inaccurate.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The president of the company I work for drives a Model S. My company installed this in his parking spot.

View attachment 107217
Have they installed any other chargers? If not, that is pretty crappy on his part (unless he paid for the charger and install - which I'm sure he did ;)).

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

🍻

I was just clarifying the extension cord joke with some data :)

🍻

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Have they installed any other chargers? If not, that is pretty crappy on his part (unless he paid for the charger and install - which I'm sure he did ;)).
they put in two other ones next to this one. The actual building itself has another area with 4 chargers also. It’s a large building with multiple companies in it.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
they put in two other ones next to this one. The actual building itself has another area with 4 chargers also. It’s a large building with multiple companies in it.
So 6 "shared" and 1 dedicated for him?
How many people park there total?
Are the chargers typically in use?
I see they have an RFID required - do you know if there is a cost to charge?

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Presidents of companies tend to get perks other employees don't.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having been, it can be bad form to have those perks too visible - even if they are as minor as this.

I appreciate that they, at least, have 6 other chargers that are shared.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
So 6 "shared" and 1 dedicated for him?
How many people park there total?
Are the chargers typically in use?
I see they have an RFID required - do you know if there is a cost to charge?
I don’t know for sure it’s dedicated for him. You can see spots behind the pillar that could use the charger I suppose. I have no idea of there is a cost to charger. I see them in use every once in a while. There’s a few Tesla’s in the garage but never charging. I guess they don’t need to use them maybe? I see leafs hooked to them more often.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
yeah this is a large company. 4,000 employees, $2.3 billion in revenue, etc so I’m sure this is small perk haha.

Liftr

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Actually I've tried to pay pretty close attention. Mistook one person talking about his parents' house as another. Apologized.

BTW, did a quick scan of the thread for FUD (I'm sure there are more):
  • Wondering if I was going to make it home to the point that I turned off the heater/ac, stereo and sometimes even the headlights while pulling into the slow lane in case the car just died and I had to push it onto the shoulder
  • There is also the cost, $5k + inststslled. After spending $50k (I’ve heard model 3s can be purchased for $35k but don’t know anyone or seen a $35k model yet, that I know of) on a Tesla I’d be hard pressed to lay down another $5k to charge it faster.
  • The fear mongering about “EV’s cars is inevitable and accept it or be passed” mentality is laughable.
  • I can buy, and wear out 3 economy cars, gas included, before I would reach the purchase price of a Tesla.
  • I’m not interested in the expense of adding an outlet, as a crutch, just to make a $100K car capable of making the trip.
  • BTW, did you read about the poor Californians whose Tesla cars were turned into paper weights with the recent power outage?
  • Here are my major hang ups;
    1. Spending $100K on a car!
    2. Having to plan my activities around servicing said $100K car.
Still waiting for anyone to point out where I said something that was inaccurate.
My statements are not FUD.

A brand new Camry SE sells for $23K. You can buy 3 for the price of an standard X.
Having $32K left over in case of the performance X.

You do have to plan your trip around servicing the battery. Otherwise, Tesla wouldn’t have that cool trip planner, and on-screen charger locater.
I, and others would have to enlist an electrician, specifically to service the car. Whether it is $80K or $100K.

I didn’t bother getting names and addresses of Cali blackout victims, but here is the warning article.
https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/californias-power-outage-demonstrates-biggest-flaw-with-teslas-plan-to-sell-everyone-an-electric-car.html

Now on to the condescension and attention to detail:
Condescension: Obviously you must travel through fields to get there instead.

Attention to detail. Granted, I didn’t state the exact mileage, but in my world, minutes pretty well equals miles.

Me: 3 hours enroute, a couple of 20 minute errands, a couple hours sitting around for lunch, 30 minutes to the In-laws, couple hours sitting around for dinner, maybe another errand, and 3 hours back home.

You, not paying attention:
Tough to do math when you still won't provide locations, lol. Errands can be a run to the store a mile from the house, the inlaws can be across town 5 miles.

I’m still not seeing where anything I said was false.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My statements are not FUD.

A brand new Camry SE sells for $23K. You can buy 3 for the price of an standard X.
Having $32K left over in case of the performance X.

You do have to plan your trip around servicing the battery. Otherwise, Tesla wouldn’t have that cool trip planner, and on-screen charger locater.
I, and others would have to enlist an electrician, specifically to service the car. Whether it is $80K or $100K.

I didn’t bother getting names and addresses of Cali blackout victims, but here is the warning article.
https://www.inc.com/jason-aten/californias-power-outage-demonstrates-biggest-flaw-with-teslas-plan-to-sell-everyone-an-electric-car.html

Now on to the condescension and attention to detail:
Condescension: Obviously you must travel through fields to get there instead.

Attention to detail. Granted, I didn’t state the exact mileage, but in my world, minutes pretty well equals miles.

Me: 3 hours enroute, a couple of 20 minute errands, a couple hours sitting around for lunch, 30 minutes to the In-laws, couple hours sitting around for dinner, maybe another errand, and 3 hours back home.

You, not paying attention:
Tough to do math when you still won't provide locations, lol. Errands can be a run to the store a mile from the house, the inlaws can be across town 5 miles.

I’m still not seeing where anything I said was false.
Lol... OK I can also buy 3 apples and have $32k left over for a Camry. About the same comparison. Or 3 Model X's and have $1M left over for a Rimac or a Porsche 918.

Nope, you don't. Proven multiple times by me and others in this thread.

Again, that was a warning article. Still haven't heard of any actual people who had their cars "turned into paperweights." This (and the turning off headlights and the radio) are the PRIME EXAMPLES of FUD.

Minutes = miles? You already stated you will be driving 6 hours (360 minutes) and traveling 296 miles. That's closer (I hope) than what you will drive on the errands in town.

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For those who are actually interested in learning about EVs from someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about, go ahead and PM me.

I've enjoyed the reasonable parts of this discussion and helping inform, but when people start talking about parking illegally (just to piss people off) and arguing for the sake of arguing, I can see where this is going.

Cheers 🍻

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
........from someone who actually knows what the hell they are talking about..........
This is why you come across as a condescending jerk, and it's not doing you any favors........in case you were wondering.

Even if you're the smartest kid in class, or the best player on the football team; you don't go around telling everyone.