• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Trailer Hitch Ball

John Deveres

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am trying to get setup for towing my 2023 AR250. Shorelander says 2-5/16” ball. Dealer says 2” ball. I don’t want to tow with the wrong setup, so which is correct and how do I check?

Should be 2”. If you have a need for other ball sizes, get a 3 ball hitch Size will be engraved/stamped on the trailer tongue.
On our Triton dinghy trailer.

E192F01E-7F2A-4292-BC98-3C8BB2B16079.jpeg

Last edited:
dealer 2"..
don't think i've heard anyone say their shorelander had a 2 5/16" coupler...seems like all have ufp a-60.
maybe the 275 trailers have different?

Big reciever, nice…assume a 3/4 or 1 ton tow vehicle.

Big reciever, nice…assume a 3/4 or 1 ton tow vehicle.
2022 GMC Denali Duramax 2500HD. Very nice truck… I have to keep an eye on the mirrors to make sure the trailers are still back there. I can no longer feel them… the truck is rated for 18k bumper and 30k gn or 5w. Way more truck than I need.

just buy both and return one later its less than $20 per ball. Tell the store you are not sure and you will check and return the wrong one. But if the trailer says 2-5/16 it should be the correct ball, unless it was modified.

just buy both and return one later its less than $20 per ball. Tell the store you are not sure and you will check and return the wrong one. But if the trailer says 2-5/16 it should be the correct ball, unless it was modified.
I agree. Take two and use whatever one is marked on the trailer coupler. Then return the other.

I would never use a ball that is smaller than what is marked on the coupler, why introduce potential play between the ball and the coupler? If you want to use a smaller ball than what is marked on the coupler, then the coupler should be changed (if it still meets the towing specs.)

Jim

They take a 2” ball ….seems crazy it’s not bigger. I was told it is the match the waverunners

They take a 2” ball ….seems crazy it’s not bigger. I was told it is the match the waverunners
A 2” ball with a 1 1/4” shank is usually rated for 10,000 pounds. Most class IV hitches with a 2” tube are only rated for 10,000 pounds.

2” should give you plenty with a 1 1/4” shank on any boat Yamaha makes. It’s not the size of the ball, it’s the size of the shank that provides the weight rating. A 2” ball with a 3/4 inch shank drops you down to 3,500 pounds.

I think we need to be careful not to confuse John (the OP) on this thread. We can discuss what size coupler Shorelander is (or should be) putting on the trailer for the AR250, 2” or 2 5/16” based on the load. However, if the coupler on John’s boat says a 2 5/16” inch ball, then John should have a 2 5/16” inch ball. If the coupler says a 2” ball then John should be using a 2” ball.

Jim

A 2” ball with a 1 1/4” shank is usually rated for 10,000 pounds. Most class IV hitches with a 2” tube are only rated for 10,000 pounds.

2” should give you plenty with a 1 1/4” shank on any boat Yamaha makes. It’s not the size of the ball, it’s the size of the shank that provides the weight rating. A 2” ball with a 3/4 inch shank drops you down to 3,500 pounds.
If anyone starts a thread called "Shanks and Balls - How big is too big?" ....I will not be following it even if @drewkaree is posting there - in spite of his proven track record in the other NSFW threads.

fyi, my shorelander trailer has no ball size marking that i can find...at least without disassembly...it could be marked/stamped on the slide, but i haven't had to take this one apart yet.
it is a 2" tho

dealer 2"..
don't think i've heard anyone say their shorelander had a 2 5/16" coupler...seems like all have ufp a-60.
maybe the 275 trailers have different?

275's are the only Yamahas to not ship with a trailer from the factory. So it would depend on what a person bought. It would be logical to think it would be upsized.

To the OP, have the dealer shoot a photo of the marking on the hitch. Otherwise, all you can do is take their word for it, that it's bigger. I think most will agree here, we have yet to see a trailer for these boats with anything but 2".

A 2 & 5/16” ball is usually associated with a class IV or V hitch= big trailers, in the 15,000 to 20,000# range if I’m not mistaken. Here in SD you can double tow with ball couplers and I’m pretty sure the tow vehicle is required to use a 2&5/16” ball

This looks like a great mount, I like the way it locks! Is there anything you don’t like?

Jim
None so far.
Only one thing to know - when you unlock the adjustable hight ball make sure you hold it or it will drop on ground :)

Would advise to get Hitch Tightener so it doesn't rattle.
Hitch Tightener
or
Silencer Pads

Last edited:
Back