• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Trim tab opinion needed. SS or Aluminum Alloy?

Shack

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been emailing Russ from Lectrotab today and he gave me some pricing on tabs for my ar240. He said the stainless steel had skyrocketed a year or so ago and offered the aluminum alloy for $324 cheaper than the stainless. The aluminum alloy is same strength as 10ga ss and they use 12 ga ss for their tabs. I’ve read ss is better in salt water but my boat will never see saltwater living in MN. Is going with the aluminum a no brainer or am I missing anything?

I was in the same boat last year when I was ordering from Lectrotab. I tend to just buy the "better" option, though most people including myself will probably sell the boat long before you have any issues with the aluminum alloy tabs. The thing that had me lean more toward SS though is I am almost exclusively in salt water. I have not heard of anyone having issues with the aluminum alloy however I had the SS on my 2007 boat since about 2012 and never had issues so I just went with the same.

Particularly in MN, I would go with the aluminum alloy (especially if Russ recommended it). He has been pretty good to folks on the board here, as I recall. And I think your chances of seeing salt water up there are pretty remote. Save your $325... IMHO.

You will need anodes on the aluminum trim tabs if you wet slip at all. If you trailer your boat back and forth to the water, not as necessary, but remember that the aluminum parts of the jet pump and engine are protected with anodes too.

Find out how much it is to powder coat them if your worried but you’d probably be close to the SS.

Back