• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trips to Bangkok to locate Boat Parts in the back streets ( New update sorry for the delay)

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper -- regarding the makeup bag:

A) What's the harm in taking it along? Happy wife (or girlfriend), happy life.
B) Always remember the Golden Rule: She is right, you are wrong.

;):rolleyes::D
I see your point and no harm at all just didn't understand the reason why, Maybe better not to try to understand even when she's wrong she's right.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a small-town Midwesterner who hasn't seen much of the world, I am really enjoying this thread! Thanks for sharing!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Ok...I think a few hundred of us should head out and spend the rest of winter with you!!! Think of all the stuff for your boat we could bring you from the the US!!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok...I think a few hundred of us should head out and spend the rest of winter with you!!! Think of all the stuff for your boat we could bring you from the the US!!
What a great idea, I'll start a list thanks.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You just anchor your boat out there and swim to it? Man I would be so worried something would happen. What a different place to live! It sounds great.
Just to confirm my earlier reply, I'ts now 6.30 am here in Thailand and I've just been to the local shop which is open 24 hours and popped to check the Boat and as i had mentioned before that Guy that sleeps at the slipway was just having his breakfast it was still dark and still is as i reply to you now so, He has a table and chairs in a shelter by the side of the slipway and he stays there next to where he parks your trailer, Quite handy really.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have got to reconsider where I retire! On the makeup bag, she is probably bringing it to look good for you! I know my wife wants me to always be pleased when I see her and so she will do stuff like that. This is all great for you! I can tell you, having been married before, I appreciate the effort and the results! :)

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have got to reconsider where I retire! On the makeup bag, she is probably bringing it to look good for you! I know my wife wants me to always be pleased when I see her and so she will do stuff like that. This is all great for you! I can tell you, having been married before, I appreciate the effort and the results! :)
Yes i understand your point but having been married before for 37 years you think you have seen everything but here is a totally different culture, It just made me smile when i noticed it and couldn't wait to ask her to find the answer, So far from the mainland and swimming and Fishing and as it happened she didn't open it all day as it would have been a pointless task to keep doing makeup when factor 50 would be of more use and in fact was the order of the day.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is awesome....Thanks for the tour.

How much money does it take annually to live comfortably? We might all retire there!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is awesome....Thanks for the tour.

How much money does it take annually to live comfortably? We might all retire there!
Depends what kind of lifestyle you want, here's a few examples of general living costs.

Monthly electric bill using 2 Aircon units approx ....... $35
Monthly water charge ....... $8
Fresh fruit and Veg from market daily approx ........ $3
Car Tax and insurance yearly including Car check ...... $20
Gasolene price reducing daily 1 litre approx ...... $1.3
LPG Gas 1 litre ...... 50c
Fresh Chicken / Pork 1 kilo approx .......$2.5
Good Seafood Restaurant per person with desert ........$12

This may give you a little insight into monthly running costs, Pharmacy's are well stocked and drugs are very cheap, Hospitals are well equipped and you pay when your treatment is finished and again very cheap, A loaf of bread about $1, Milk less than a dollar, Beer 1 pint approx $1.2, Any other items just let me know i hope it helps.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow Geoff! Is that correct? $20 for car tax AND insurance!
Really interesting thread, thank you.
Yes about that much but you have to remember that the average worker earns about $5 a day so everything is relative probably 70% have no Tax or Insurance, There are no licence endorsements over here so it doesn't matter what you do you don't loose your licence in fact again probably 70% don't possess one, The standard of driving is appalling and no lessons are needed to be able to go on the road with a Car or Motorcycle, You see children as young as maybe 7 riding motorcycles on the road and Police don't stop them.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What does an average house or apartment cost sitting near the water like you do?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great question and I can't wait to hear the answer. Also, how safe is it for a couple coming over from the US?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What does an average house or apartment cost sitting near the water like you do?
As a Foreigner you cant own land or a House unless you buy in a company name and selling isn't easy so i brought a Condo near the Beach in a small village and you can buy a Condo outright in your own name and easy to sell, The place i live has quite a number of Foreign owners including Americans and depending what size you want determines the price, I live alone so 60 square meters is perfect for me with 1 bedroom that starts at around $ 35000 I have all the amenities i need and the Boat is kept about 200 meters from me and if i want to leave it in the water then that's no problem, If you need a bigger apartment then you can find them easy or buy next door and knock the 2 into 1, My yearly charge for my place is $800 that includes everything including the Gardener/ Lift maintenance and service / Building repairs general maintenance / Swimming pool / House keepers / Office staff, I think you get the picture, It's very well run by English management and your input is welcome as we all own the building so it's in our interest to take care of it, You can live in the City if you want to but I'm a Country Boy so this place suits me fine, You will find the cost of living slightly higher in the city and you will have to travel for your boat but depends on what your are used to, Renting an apartment here cost around $400 per month and then of course you don't pay the annual service charge as that's up to the owner, I find people are more friendly in the villages and life has a slower pace, I have everything i need here and want for nothing i can use my Boat 12 months of the year and haven't seen snow for years, It's winter here now and normal daytime temperature is around low 30s with a Sea temperature of not less than 26, As you probably realize by my previous post i like to keep busy and i find this place has many small businesses where i can get anything done, I even have see mistresses to do any clothes repairs or alterations i need for very little charge, For example she turned a pair of trousers up for me last week and charged me $2 they were ready the same afternoon, Any other questions just fire away.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow Geoff! Is that correct? $20 for car tax AND insurance!
Really interesting thread, thank you.
You can have different insurance companies selling you policies but when you go to have your tax done and car checked the Government do an insurance policy which is adequate and very reasonable which you can have when you tax your car at the same time, If you have an accident the insurance rep comes straight out to the scene and assesses who is to blame and sorts the job out straight away.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great question and I can't wait to hear the answer. Also, how safe is it for a couple coming over from the US?
You mean to live here or just for a Holiday? I leave my Boat in the water for maybe 10 days at a time and the trailer near the slipway unlocked, I never lock my apartment, I can walk the streets at 2 am if i want to and never see a soul, After 10 pm this village is like a ghost town, there are 3 bars and unless they have a birthday celebration they are closed at 10 pm, What you have to remember is there are no Government handouts here so if you don't work you don't eat, Most people are in bed for 8 or 9 pm and wake early, The woman of the House starts preparing breakfast about 4 30 am by going to the market which will be open at 5 am to get her vegetables to cook with, Children start school at 7 am until 5 pm and the little ones have a sleep on mats on the floor in the classroom in the afternoon before they return home, I presume you are concerned about crime etc? You tend to find more crime in the cities as you do everywhere, I have been here many years and never had a problem respect is a big thing here and also the family bond is very strong and you don't bring shame to your family it's very frowned upon.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a business acquaintance that built and owns a 4 story apartment building somewhere in Thailand. He married a Thai girl and brought her to the states but they still travel back and forth yearly to satisfy immigration and to bring relatives to the states.

Wouldn't that be funny if you lived in that building! Doubtful but possible.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a business acquaintance that built and owns a 4 story apartment building somewhere in Thailand. He married a Thai girl and brought her to the states but they still travel back and forth yearly to satisfy immigration and to bring relatives to the states.

Wouldn't that be funny if you lived in that building! Doubtful but possible.
Yes true, This is 5 story with 70 Condos only 15 people live here the rest just use it for Holidays, it's always nice and quiet.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I bumped into an American Guy who lives on the floor below me yesterday, He tells me he rents his apartment which is 62 square meters including Balcony which is the same as mine and he pays 6200 Thai baht a month and at the exchange rate yesterday there was 32 Thai baht to the Dollar so about $193 a month, Hope that helps I'm off in the Boat Fishing again today it's a beautiful day and the Sea is like a Mill Pond.