• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trips to Bangkok to locate Boat Parts in the back streets ( New update sorry for the delay)

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I Love a good restoration project but can we find something a little faster!

If we do come out, can we get you AND your girlfriend to show us around....I think she'd be a great tour guide assistant...even if she doesn't speak English!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I Love a good restoration project but can we find something a little faster!

If we do come out, can we get you AND your girlfriend to show us around....I think she'd be a great tour guide assistant...even if she doesn't speak English!
I don't see any problem with that, I had some friends come over last week and she was very good with them and she speaks perfect English, What you want faster for out here you rush nothing, Just take your time enjoy life relax.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well the Boats been in the water for 2 weeks now and although it's been cleaned I'm taking it out tomorrow for a damn good clean inside and out, engine compartment intakes everything, As today was the last day for a few weeks i went fishing early morning about 20 miles offshore alone so it was nice and peaceful, I drifted for a few miles and then re positioned and drifted again, I got a total bag of 52 fish which i always share between the house keeper and the security man and then give the rest to the local poor people, It was dark when i returned I've put a few Photos for you to look at and as you can see not a soul in sight no boats nothing, It was quite dark when i returned and i need to bring the Boat in around 8 am in the morning to catch the high tide, All in all a great 2 weeks Boating and now i need to give the Boat a once over and get to Bangkok to carry on with the post, I hope you enjoy the Photos.

IMG_2581.JPG

Boat fueled up and ready to go

IMG_2589.JPG

On my way out in the morning

IMG_2610.JPG IMG_2611.JPG IMG_2612.JPG

The Sun is setting and I'm loosing light i still keep fishing and it's well dark when i get back, Get the Boat out in the morning and start giving it a good sorting out, I hope you enjoy.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like you need a couple of rod holders?

Are there any rules about what fish you can catch and sizes you can keep, or is it just a free for all?

I've read that going to the south of Thailand is advised against by Thai, US an UK governments....are you in the area considered North?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you need a couple of rod holders?

Are there any rules about what fish you can catch and sizes you can keep, or is it just a free for all?

I've read that going to the south of Thailand is advised against by Thai, US an UK governments....are you in the area considered North?
I thought about making some Rod holders but i like to feel the fish strike more hands on, No rules as far as i know if i consider them small i just put them back, Regarding South Thailand that's all news to me i haven't heard a thing and i was there in my last post about going away for a week or so, I live in East Thailand in Bang Saray, Why was there warnings issued?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks like they have some long term standing advisories about the very southern tip....

From the US site: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/thailand.html

The U.S. Embassy prohibits its personnel from traveling to the far south of Thailand – specifically, Narathiwat, Pattani, and Yala provinces -- without prior approval, and Embassy personnel may go there only on work-essential travel. U.S. Embassy and Consulate personnel must provide advance notification of travel to Songkhla province, and they are advised to use hotels outside Hat Yai’s central business district. The Department of State urges you to defer non-emergency travel to these areas. If you must travel to these areas, you should exercise special caution and remain vigilant with regard to your personal security. You should be aware that martial law has been in force in the far southern region since 2005, and Thai authorities have on occasion instituted special security measures in affected areas, such as curfews, military patrols, or random searches.
From the UK site: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla on the Thai-Malaysia border. On 10 April 2014 the Australian authorities indicated that extremists might be planning to target westerners in the southern border provinces. See Terrorism
But one has to keep all of their ass covering warnings in perspective....I go to India all the time....they have travel warnings about parts of India too!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh i see what the fuss is about, Over reaction i think, Since the Army has taken control thing's are very much better and they are locking up all the officials connected with corruption, There are no demonstrations in Bangkok or anywhere else, Thing's seem to be well under control and running smooth.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like they have some long term standing advisories about the very southern tip....

From the US site: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/thailand.html

The U.S. Embassy prohibits its personnel from traveling to the far south of Thailand – specifically, Narathiwat, Pattani, and Yala provinces -- without prior approval, and Embassy personnel may go there only on work-essential travel. U.S. Embassy and Consulate personnel must provide advance notification of travel to Songkhla province, and they are advised to use hotels outside Hat Yai’s central business district. The Department of State urges you to defer non-emergency travel to these areas. If you must travel to these areas, you should exercise special caution and remain vigilant with regard to your personal security. You should be aware that martial law has been in force in the far southern region since 2005, and Thai authorities have on occasion instituted special security measures in affected areas, such as curfews, military patrols, or random searches.
From the UK site: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/thailand

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to the provinces of Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat and Songkhla on the Thai-Malaysia border. On 10 April 2014 the Australian authorities indicated that extremists might be planning to target westerners in the southern border provinces. See Terrorism
But one has to keep all of their ass covering warnings in perspective....I go to India all the time....they have travel warnings about parts of India too!
Thing's are better since the Army have taken over and no demonstrations etc, Thing's were never bad here just Bangkok and it didn't stop me going there, I went all around Bangkok and never had a problem, Thing's are calm now and fuel and normal prices are being reduced daily and thing's are really good, Any officials that are found guilty of corruption are being jailed and the Army will make sure that elections will be held as soon as the slate is clean.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to add to that, The Rice Farmers hadn't been paid for i think 3 years and many had gone bankrupt or committed suicide due to corrupt government bodies, They have all been paid now since the Army has taken over and what happens here is if you are found guilty they take all your money from your Bank and you go to jail and your house is bulldozed flat to the ground, Many officials were building resorts with stolen money and it was obvious they were living beyond there means, They had taken antiques from galleries for there own personal use and the Army have stopped all that and returned everything to it's rightful place, No thing's are good here and as i don't live in Bangkok i really don't see any problems but many tourists are here as this is winter here and they think it's hot, They should be here when it warms up, I love it here.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My brother raved about Phuket (think the spelling is correct) when we went there on vacation (but that was a long time ago...before we was stationed in Myanmar/Burma). I'd love to explore that side of the world more!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My brother raved about Phuket (think the spelling is correct) when we went there on vacation (but that was a long time ago...before we was stationed in Myanmar/Burma). I'd love to explore that side of the world more!
Phuket is ok if your into tourist places but that's not the real Thailand only what they want you to see, Just a place to extract as much money as possible from the tourist who thinks this is what Thailand is all about Bangkok and Pattaya are the same just geared for tourism and it gives Thailand a bad name, People need to get out of these places and see the real Thailand, I remember going to LA and Vagas and after seeing all the places that the tourist goes to i ended up in Barstow and had a great time with lovely people i met there, that was a long time ago and it's probably all changed now.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok i had friends over from England and also a Pal of mine had his family over for a holiday so i left the Boat in the water for 2 weeks which i have never done before because i know what sort of build up it can get over hear, I also did many fishing trips and as i explained in my previous post i have taken it out of the water and in the process of giving it a damn good sorting out, I really feel embarrassed to even post these photos as i have never had a boat looking so bad and i expected the worst and i think i got it, Well not for long let me tell you there was no way i was prepared to let my boat be in such a condition so it was stripped and Jet pumps removed and totally given the once over and the Hull was completely reworked and put back to how it was before, Here are some Photos of before and after from a 6 am start to a 6 am finish the next day cut and sore fingers tired but now becoming a happy chap again, The Hull is about 80% finished and will complete tomorrow, I was in 2 minds about posting these Photos but I'm sure we have all been in this situation at some point, I usually only leave it in the water for 2 or 3 days and then give it a good clean, Hope you like.

IMG_2621.JPG

Please use eye protection when viewing these Photos

IMG_2619.JPG
What a state.
IMG_2617.JPG
Pulled the jet pumps out and checked them.

IMG_2618.JPG
Just checking the tolerances and no wear at all

IMG_2621.JPG
Everything off to the sand blasters

IMG_2622.JPG IMG_2620.JPG
While the sandblaster was doing his job i concentrated on the rest of it, He said everything would be ready tomorrow.

IMG_2624.JPG
He's doing a good job blasting and painting everything also

IMG_2631.JPG

Cleaning all the bolts ready for the rebuild.

IMG_2626.JPG
Nissan engine driving the compressor for the sandblaster

IMG_2632.JPG

He made a really good job I'm well pleased with that, I will keep you posted on the rebuild, Hope you enjoy.

Attachments

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow those barnacles sure got going fast!!! I know what you mean about posting photos of dirty boats...I cringe when I do that too! I still have a little calcium from growth on my pumps that is a ROYAL PITA to get off....I don't have a handy sandblaster guy!

Man that looks AWESOME NOW!!!!

How did the lower hull look? Did you have a crane and sling you could use so you could get under her easily?

Did you consider checking the cone bearings while you have it all apart?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow those barnacles sure got going fast!!! I know what you mean about posting photos of dirty boats...I cringe when I do that too! I still have a little calcium from growth on my pumps that is a ROYAL PITA to get off....I don't have a handy sandblaster guy!

Man that looks AWESOME NOW!!!!

How did the lower hull look? Did you have a crane and sling you could use so you could get under her easily?

Did you consider checking the cone bearings while you have it all apart?
Yes lower hull was not bad as i had been giving it a wipe over during the time it was in the water with a pair of goggles on in really clear water and i also give it plenty of wax so that helped but the jets were a different kettle of fish, The hull is nearly finished i used a 7 inch polisher cut it back and polished it, I checked the cone bearings as i found part of the remains of a plastic bag protruding out so i gave them a good look at and they were fine, I was really surprised that there was hardly any wear anywhere after nearly 10 years of use.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow Geoff those pumps looked really bad. Then seeing them blasted and painted they look better then new. You've got some true craftsman at your disposal. I'm really liking all of your adventures that your posting pics of. Seeing the warm and calm tropical waters of yours really help warm the soul and help me to look forward to summer. Please keep them coming!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow Geoff those pumps looked really bad. Then seeing them blasted and painted they look better then new. You've got some true craftsman at your disposal. I'm really liking all of your adventures that your posting pics of. Seeing the warm and calm tropical waters of yours really help warm the soul and help me to look forward to summer. Please keep them coming!
Well thanks for that, I'll give you the breakdown on costs in the next post which will be the rebuild,, It's a case of finding people who do good jobs at the right price, This guy who does the sandblasting is German and lives here, He's only about 10 minutes away and i have used him before when i was renovating my Jeep, He will sand blast anything and controls the output pressure accordingly, He also uses a good quality enamel paint as he does a lot of work for the Boating community so he knows what to use.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I know my boat has some growth on the pumps but that was a lot for two weeks! As of this weekend my boat will be out of the water on a lift. Then I am going to really get it cleaned up and waxed. I always did this twice a year but now it will stay!!! I have tried all kinds of ways to clean the pump housing and have not had a lot of luck but yours look better than new! I can't do that kind of cleaning for a whole day. I break it up over time. Thanks for sharing!

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know my boat has some growth on the pumps but that was a lot for two weeks! As of this weekend my boat will be out of the water on a lift. Then I am going to really get it cleaned up and waxed. I always did this twice a year but now it will stay!!! I have tried all kinds of ways to clean the pump housing and have not had a lot of luck but yours look better than new! I can't do that kind of cleaning for a whole day. I break it up over time. Thanks for sharing!
Before i left it in the water it was really clean as i always clean it as soon as it comes out of the water 3 days at the most is all i leave it in, Barnacles grow very quickly here but it even surprised me, I will post some more Photos tomorrow of the finished item you may be surprised.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That is about the same growth I see here in Naples during the peak heat season (90degree water). I once heard that 3M was studying the growth and strength of barnacles for possible use in their products.