• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Two simple questions - help appreciated

sergio7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 which is usually in dry storage in South Florida. For a few weeks I am floating in South carolina and I have been concerned about rain swamping the boat. Here is the issue, first of all the bilge was not working and it is now replaced. Unfortunately, it only works with the house battery on but since I have recently replaced the sound system I get an annoying alarm every few minutes when the house battery is on and I turn on the connext to activate the auto-bilge. HERE IS THE QUESTION: How do I turn off that alarm? Additional info - I will be rewiring directly to the battery at some point but hoping to avoid that during this vacation.

Next, related question: There is a drain right above the engine compartment that is visible when the compartment lid is open. I am guessing this would normally catch and redirect rain that gets into the compartment 'seam.' Problem is the tube connected to this drain is only 18 inches long and so all of the water goes straight into the eniGne compartment which totally defeats the purpose of the drain. I am guessing the line was cut at some point. I have new line and her is the questions: Where should this line go to redirect any water?

THANK YOU!!! LOVE THIS RESOURCE AND COMMUNITY!!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These boats are self draining so I wouldn’t worry about rain, that is until you said the drain line going to scupper valve is not connected. That 18” hose should be connected to the scupper valve on the transom. I would get some new, longer hose and plumb it correctly and then you should have minimal water going into the bilge.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’d rewire that bilge asap if you’re sitting in the water. The way you described it, it sounds like you need the house battery & the Connext on for the bilge to work.

Last edited:

sergio7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
These boats are self draining so I wouldn’t worry about rain, that is until you said the drain line going to scupper valve is not connected. That 18” hose should be connected to the scupper valve on the transom. I would get some new, longer hose and plumb it correctly and then you should have minimal water going into the bilge.
THANK YOU! I agree - BUT, I cannot find a connection where the drain line ever went into the white/ribbed scupper line to the valve. Again, many thanks. And, yes the bilge was replaced but given the comm alarm I keep the house battery off. I will figure out how to wire directly to the batteries eventually.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Mine for some reason seems kind of different. Even if my house battery to the helm is turned off, the bilge will still kick on if it filled with water. I have ready similar threads that on the newer boats the house battery only kills the helm and ignition, but “secondary” items like bilge pumps will still get power. I only know this to be fact as I have filled up my bilge to flush any saltwater out with the battery switch off and the bilge still kicked on. As @Babin Farms said, these are self draining so any rain water on the deck will follow the split lines and flow out the scupper on the transom.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
THANK YOU! I agree - BUT, I cannot find a connection where the drain line ever went into the white/ribbed scupper line to the valve. Again, many thanks. And, yes the bilge was replaced but given the comm alarm I keep the house battery off. I will figure out how to wire directly to the batteries eventually.
Do you have a picture to share? I am thinking this is the drain line that runs from the top of the back of the engine bay hatch out to the swim platform. To see where it connects, if it’s the drain I am thinking of, you would have to look under the back lip of the hatch.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine for some reason seems kind of different. Even if my house battery to the helm is turned off, the bilge will still kick on if it filled with water. I have ready similar threads that on the newer boats the house battery only kills the helm and ignition, but “secondary” items like bilge pumps will still get power. I only know this to be fact as I have filled up my bilge to flush any saltwater out with the battery switch off and the bilge still kicked on. As @Babin Farms said, these are self draining so any rain water on the deck will follow the split lines and flow out the scupper on the transom.
That is the way it should be. I also wired in a second bilge pump that will cycle if water fills while off. That is wired to my House battery. a bit of extra protection

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
That is the way it should be. I also wired in a second bilge pump that will cycle if water fills while off. That is wired to my House battery. a bit of extra protection
Redundancy is never a bad thing. Keeps the rub rail above the waterline! 😉

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a 2017 242 which is usually in dry storage in South Florida. For a few weeks I am floating in South carolina and I have been concerned about rain swamping the boat. Here is the issue, first of all the bilge was not working and it is now replaced. Unfortunately, it only works with the house battery on but since I have recently replaced the sound system I get an annoying alarm every few minutes when the house battery is on and I turn on the connext to activate the auto-bilge. HERE IS THE QUESTION: How do I turn off that alarm? Additional info - I will be rewiring directly to the battery at some point but hoping to avoid that during this vacation.

Next, related question: There is a drain right above the engine compartment that is visible when the compartment lid is open. I am guessing this would normally catch and redirect rain that gets into the compartment 'seam.' Problem is the tube connected to this drain is only 18 inches long and so all of the water goes straight into the eniGne compartment which totally defeats the purpose of the drain. I am guessing the line was cut at some point. I have new line and her is the questions: Where should this line go to redirect any water?

THANK YOU!!! LOVE THIS RESOURCE AND COMMUNITY!!
I can’t be sure, but the bilge pumps in the recent older boats cycle to check for water, once every two minutes the pump will run for 30 seconds, and unless you have an onboard battery charger that is hooked up to shore power this will run your battery down in a couple of days. That is based on what I have read here in these threads. I suggest you verify that your bilge pump operates this way.

So, if you just re wire the auto power to your bilge pump from the connext to the house battery that could / may give you a battery depletion problem. The solution will be to get a newer bilge pump that has an internal float / sensor and replace your existing bilge pump, then wire the auto power directly to the house battery with an inline fuse. It would also be advisable to add an additional bilge pump when you can.

sergio7

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Thanks you!