• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Wake enhancer comparison

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The Wedge needs to be turned down to do the work, @swatski just turns his up when he is not surfing. It is perfectly fine to leave it alone also while under way.
So, I need to crank mine down a bit. That’s pretty much what mine looks like all the time.

@jcyamaharider you used to have a video on your site showing that the Wake Wedge should be angled down to a broom sticking out of the top edge of the nozzle. Is that correct for current 24’ boats? That’s a whole lot more angle than what I’ve been running. Now I’m anxious to try it out to see what I’ve been missing. I thought I was doing good this other way. Lol

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So, I need to crank mine down a bit. That’s pretty much what mine looks like all the time.

@jcyamaharider you used to have a video on your site showing that the Wake Wedge should be angled down to a broom sticking out of the top edge of the nozzle. Is that correct for current 24’ boats? That’s a whole lot more angle than what I’ve been running. Now I’m anxious to try it out to see what I’ve been missing. I thought I was doing good this other way. Lol
Good point. I don't measure anything, just turn the turnbuckle 2-3 full turns to get the Wedge "down" into the working/surf position. I tend to go 2 turns (rather than 3) if I have more people (and I remember) but it is not exact science by any stretch, and conditions and loads always vary, even the way that large transom bag sits on the platform makes some difference, so it's okay.
When done, I just crank the turnbuckle open all the way and ride back.
The wedge has some play, easily 2 inches of vertical movement on the outside/rear edge (when mounted). So it looks a bit more angled down when sitting out of water than it is when surfing.

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

That is in the install instruction video.

Remember when we went surfing at Table Rock and I was under the boat Abe........ I was adjusting your wedge.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
it is not exact science by any stretch, and conditions and loads always vary, even the way that large transom bag sits on the platform makes some difference, so it's okay.
--
It was designed to be very simple no exact measurements but merely a guide. Adjustments are merely dictated by the user and their situation . . . boat type, ballast placement, water depth, river vs lake, and moon placement o_O.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Remember when we went surfing at Table Rock and I was under the boat Abe........ I was adjusting your wedge.

Well, we’re going to have to do it again anyway this weekend since I tried using the Wedge as a spring board and broke the turnbuckle. Lol 😂

Can’t wait to get it back on... the Booster just doesn’t do it for me.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

I’m not sure I’ve watched that all the way to the end... that’s a pretty good nose dive! Lol!

Can’t wait to go back there!!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It was designed to be very simple no exact measurements but merely a guide. Adjustments are merely dictated by the user and their situation . . . boat type, ballast placement, water depth, river vs lake, and moon placement o_O.
I would say the Gantlin Wake Wedge is a good example of "Robust Product Design".

No wonder 5+ years after the big reveal the Wedge is going strong with hardly any changes other than new boat MY adaptations.

--

Last edited:

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is there any need for this wedge on the 19' models? I remember my single engine X20 prior, had a fairly clean wave by default. I would guess the 19' Yamahas would be similar.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is there any need for this wedge on the 19' models? I remember my single engine X20 prior, had a fairly clean wave by default. I would guess the 19' Yamahas would be similar.
We do not make one for a 19'

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We do not make one for a 19'
That was where my question was coming from. Yes, you don't make one. But is there a need? I'm assuming you feel there is not, or you would have created one.

My buddy is close to buying an AR192, and is reading every 190 series thread on here putting together a laundry list of what he may want to put his money into, just to have fun. He knows it will not be ideal, but he sees what fun can be had rope-surfing the smallest of waves.

I told him you didn't offer one, so we assume there may not be a need. And from what I have seen, the wave coming out of the 19' hulls is somewhat clean due to one engine.

Surfgirl78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are there any videos of anyone that compares the wake wedge and the wake booster?
I’ve watched all the videos of the booster which seem to be promos for the new product.
There are things we definitely LOVE about our wake wedge, but things we don’t like either.
We do use our ladder- young kids NEED the ladder and re hooking the wedge is a chore and the latches break far to often than they should in my opinion. Getting kinda frustrated with tearing up your hands trying to reattach those rubber latches and having to keep a supple of them because they keep breaking.
Just wanting to see some videos from those who make have friend the wake booster

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Are there any videos of anyone that compares the wake wedge and the wake booster?
I’ve watched all the videos of the booster which seem to be promos for the new product.
There are things we definitely LOVE about our wake wedge, but things we don’t like either.
We do use our ladder- young kids NEED the ladder and re hooking the wedge is a chore and the latches break far to often than they should in my opinion. Getting kinda frustrated with tearing up your hands trying to reattach those rubber latches and having to keep a supple of them because they keep breaking.
Just wanting to see some videos from those who make have friend the wake booster
How much wedge angle are you running? They only time we see them break is if you are running too much. We are on the original set of rubber latches. Hard backup to the surfer will also put strain on the rubber latches due to water pressure.

Surfgirl78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
How much wedge angle are you running? They only time we see them break is if you are running too much. We are on the original set of rubber latches. Hard backup to the surfer will also put strain on the rubber latches due to water pressure.
We have it at the exact angle you recommended in the video and instructions when we bought it, a coupe years ago. I think we are on our 3rd or 4th set. We have to unlatch several times each time we are out. We have little kids that like to get in the water and can’t climb out without the ladder. We use our boat almost every weekend.
I kinda got the impression from reading your wives post you guys don’t put your down very often...??
I am in no way putting down your wedge!!! It’s great - we’ve taught tons of people how to surf behind our boat- the latch are just difficult in my opinion

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We never take our wedge off....We use the flap every time we are out and raft up.

Surfgirl78

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We never take our wedge of either!! Always use the flap as well

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

We've seen much better wave with as much ballast as you can get on the corner of the swim deck and less wedge angle. The curl we had the other day was pretty impressive and only 4 people in the boat plus 1600 lbs.

kent426

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The expectations were the product will do what it’s been advertised to do...

The last time I checked it doesn’t. Great control at low speed comes at the cost, this thing will bend bolts for the reverse gate. That is not good.
And no, let’s not blame the L13, or anything else that increases thrust (that’s just nuts, pan intended).
Here are the pics after just one outing.
I know, I know, this is all being addressed and the newer version will be even better!
Who knows? Might even come with enough epoxy [sic] to hold the steering together.
I had the same bent bucket bolts, Will send me some new ones, the trick is in the install with the spring, you have to get the bolt seated with the spacer before the spring is engaged. But I still have really heavy steering about 3K rpm.

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Question probably for @jcyamaharider or @Cobra Jet Steering LLC... I got a wake wedge for next year’s boating season. I have a 2019 212x and cobra fins. My boat came with “surfpoint” where Yamaha points the nozzles in a bit on both sides. With the wake wedge, does surfpoint do anything? Or should I straighten out the nozzles and getting slightly better performance from having the nozzles parallel?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Question probably for @jcyamaharider or @Cobra Jet Steering LLC... I got a wake wedge for next year’s boating season. I have a 2019 212x and cobra fins. My boat came with “surfpoint” where Yamaha points the nozzles in a bit on both sides. With the wake wedge, does surfpoint do anything? Or should I straighten out the nozzles and getting slightly better performance from having the nozzles parallel?
I would straighten out the nozzles, but if you do not, you will get the same performance out of the Wake Wedge.