• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Warmest Cold Weather Jacket (Ladies)?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
She liked the idea and what you wrote, and I like Milwaukee tools, ordered the jacket.
Thank you for the recommendation!!

P.S. do you use any extra batteries, or any that are flat? sounds like the battery shape and placement is about the only complaint. We will see. I'm excited! More boating for me!

--
Here's hoping for success! I take along a just-in-case battery if I'm headed away from the house, but when I'm running the snowmower, I'm just outside the house and within range so I don't carry an extra in that instance. In your case, you may want two batteries, because you can use the battery pack to power other stuff, in case you need a phone charged or something.

I'm not sure how the ladies jacket is set up to carry the batteries. Below, I've attached a pic of my coat. The battery pack with a battery inserted is around 6" long, and inside that rearmost pocket is a mesh pocket to hold the battery. I try to keep it in there, and it will sit close to the 7 o'clock position. If you're used to carrying concealed, that's the best way I can describe the feeling. You tend to forget about it after about 20-30 minutes, and only reminds you if you bump it on something. Like I said, that's based on how mine fits/holds the battery pack. For my wife, she tends to somehow either work the battery out of the mesh pocket somehow, or she never puts it in there to begin with. What she's come up with is this - get it situated so it's comfortable, and then stuff a hat or something in that pocket to keep it in that position. Like I said, I'm used to carrying concealed, and it stays in the mesh pocket for me, so once it "settles in", I'm all good.

I dunno what kind of USB cables you have, but the battery pack is the small connector. If you ever need to use it to power stuff, I've never been comfortable with having it stuffed inside my jacket to use it, seems like it would strain the cord plugged into the battery pack or potentially snap it off, so if I've ever used it for that, the whole battery pack fits nicely in the vertical zippered pocket for that purpose.

The 12V batteries are rounded triangles, and as far as I know, they don't offer anything flat for their heated jackets. DeWalt has their own version of heated jackets, but I dunno if those take the 12v or the 20v. If it's the 20v, that'd be a deal breaker for me, those things seem like they'd be unhideable and uncomfortable. The 12V batteries they have are more flat-ish, but they still seem like they'd be larger than the Milwaukee batteries. Slightly thinner, but it's still a 2-3" square and about 1-1.5" thick.

If the ladies stuff is built anything like the guys' jacket I own, that thing all on its own with no battery will help to add to her warmth! My jacket has 3 settings, and it's uncomfortable for me to have it any higher than medium. Even my wife, when shoveling, will turn it down to low. Just sitting in the boat in the wind will be different, but like I said, even if it doesn't work out for the boat, I'll bet she still wants to keep it for walking around outside in fall/winter!

IMG_20201128_140301749~2.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This won't help you since you've ordered, unless you looked at all the offerings - the two I linked to above are their AXIS offering. I still believe in Milwaukee, I just wanted to point out that there's a ladies version that is closer to what I wear, and it may work out better for your needs, and that's this one:

Milwaukee Women's Medium M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Black Heated Jacket (Jacket Only)-232B-20M - The Home Depot

Seems like the AXIS would fit better under another jacket, while this one I linked to in this post would be a bit closer to being a standalone item, although on the boat in winter, you still might need something over the heated jacket.

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for posting and sharing your experiences on this type of coats. I’m keeping an eye out to get one of these jackets for myself. Continue the presentation, VERY good information and the timing is perfect. Good job.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@drewkaree - what @robby76 ^^^ said!
This is great feedback. I'll add mine.
As a side note, amazing how far the new battery tech has come. People complaining they only get two hours of battery life with those jackets, I'm old enough to know the only 12v accessories as plug-ins.

--

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not crazy about spending a grand or more for a jacket, lol, but hey - I have done worse, way worse, as far as "boating mods" are concerned...
No, no, no. They are totally different. A grand for a jacket is silly. A grand for a boat is ... well, for the boat!

Geez, some people you gotta explain every little thing.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@drewkaree - what @robby76 ^^^ said!
This is great feedback. I'll add mine.
As a side note, amazing how far the new battery tech has come. People complaining they only get two hours of battery life with those jackets, I'm old enough to know the only 12v accessories as plug-ins.

--
:thumbsup:

I know that's not feedback from you, it's from reviews. I think I see the reason for such low battery life comments. They sell these with a 1.5ah battery and a 2.0ah battery. My bet/belief is that those with the 2 hour battery life had theirs on the high setting and they had the 1.5ah battery. Until looking at these for this thread, I didn't even know they offered anything lower than the 2.0ah batteries.

I have MULTIPLE m12 tools, and easily over a dozen batteries, but nothing less than 2.0ah, and my assessment of battery life over multiple different batteries is that on low, I have no idea how long it would actually last, as I've never had it on long enough to drain a battery (turning it off when going inside or when it'd get too uncomfortable to have the heating function turned on). The closest I've ever gotten is one LED. The first time I ever used it for snowmowing, I had it set on medium, and I didn't realize just how much I was sweating in it until I took it off, but that lasted (on medium), at least 4 hours. We had a foot of snow dumped, and myself and the neighbor were clearing out all the elderly neighbors, and ourselves. On high, I would guesstimate somewhere between 3-4 hours, as I've never been able to tolerate high for anything approaching those times, but my wife had it for a round-robin party where we spent a LOT of time outdoors at everyone's house. That's the only time I can recall having to swap in a fresh battery.

My recommendation is that if you have one with a 1.5ah battery, I would pick up a 2.0ah battery and use that as the primary, and use the 1.5ah as your backup in case you require another battery. One caveat to keep in mind - you may not even need it on high. Best to start off low and ramp up, since you have heat on demand. If you're layering for a ski trip, you do the reverse, because you don't have heat on demand, you start off with as much as you think you'll need, and strip off layers as needed. You're looking at doing a hybrid with the wife - layers AND adding heat, because she needs better layering options than what she currently has. My suggestion adds a layer that can also add heat on demand, so ramp it up slowly - the jacket itself MAY be enough for her on the boat, but if not, you have the option to slowly increase the level of heating.

Thanks for posting and sharing your experiences on this type of coats. I’m keeping an eye out to get one of these jackets for myself. Continue the presentation, VERY good information and the timing is perfect. Good job.
Your local Home Depot (or some vendor in your area) should have at least 2 sizes available to try on, I'd recommend doing so. Just picking up the different types, you'll see which one you might like. The men's jacket I have weighs 5.4lbs with a battery in it. I can't find weights of these things easily, so I'm going by eye on the items I don't personally own, and I'll say the AXIS and the hoodie will weigh less. I bring this up because the weight alone demonstrates a substantial jacket to begin with, and adding heating to this can only improve the warmth of these, as my personal experience has shown me this is true. If you can try one on, you'll have a better idea of which one might suit your needs better.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recommended above to pick up a 2.0ah battery if you don't already have any Milwaukee tools. I cannot stress this enough - I WILL NOT buy one of the knockoff batteries out there (Powerextra is a common "brand" sold as a "replacement" battery). I feel my partial success with knockoffs was ultimately a mistake I won't repeat. You may still wish to go down this road, and that's up to you, but here's my experience for you to do with as you see fit.

I bought a total of 6 knockoff batteries, a single and a 2-pack of the extended-life (4.0-6.0ah size batteries), and a 2-pack of the "typical" battery (the 2.0ah batteries). With both types, one of each would simply not work. The fitment was such that it was loose, leaving a gap around the base of the tool itself, and the battery life did NOT seem equal to the OEM Milwaukee of equal size. I also got 2 DOA's from the extended life batteries, the single, and one from the 2-pack. These were all from the same vendor, who ended up replacing one, and crediting me for the other. I've heard horror stories since then - make sure you check the return policies of any online vendor you're buying these from. As it was, I ended up sending pics and a video to prove my batteries were bad, in order to get resolution. On the 2-pack of the typical battery, one of them lasted less than a month before it wouldn't take a charge, and I was SOL with that vendor.

Certain vendors won't take these back because they're deemed a "hazardous substance" (the lithium, maybe? Although how they'd ship in the first place...?), so you may end up with a buy-at-your-own-risk proposition. Essentially, I paid for 3 extended-life batteries and 2 typical batteries, to end up with 1 typical battery and 2 extended-life batteries, and with seemingly less battery life than indicated. I have not experienced any issues with these burning/melting or ruining any of my chargers, but I looked into this when first buying them, and I do not charge these unless I can observe them while charging. Anyone can get a lemon, even with OEM batteries, and many have success with their purchases. My experience leads me to the decision to avoid the knockoffs with the m12 system, even though I have had partial success.

jocolo21

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have MULTIPLE m12 tools, and easily over a dozen batteries, but nothing less than 2.0ah, and my assessment of battery life over multiple different batteries is that on low, I have no idea how long it would actually last, as I've never had it on long enough to drain a battery (turning it off when going inside or when it'd get too uncomfortable to have the heating function turned on). The closest I've ever gotten is one LED. The first time I ever used it for snowmowing, I had it set on medium, and I didn't realize just how much I was sweating in it until I took it off, but that lasted (on medium), at least 4 hours. We had a foot of snow dumped, and myself and the neighbor were clearing out all the elderly neighbors, and ourselves. On high, I would guesstimate somewhere between 3-4 hours, as I've never been able to tolerate high for anything approaching those times, but my wife had it for a round-robin party where we spent a LOT of time outdoors at everyone's house. That's the only time I can recall having to swap in a fresh battery.

My recommendation is that if you have one with a 1.5ah battery, I would pick up a 2.0ah battery and use that as the primary, and use the 1.5ah as your backup in case you require another battery. One caveat to keep in mind - you may not even need it on high. Best to start off low and ramp up, since you have heat on demand. If you're layering for a ski trip, you do the reverse, because you don't have heat on demand, you start off with as much as you think you'll need, and strip off layers as needed. You're looking at doing a hybrid with the wife - layers AND adding heat, because she needs better layering options than what she currently has. My suggestion adds a layer that can also add heat on demand, so ramp it up slowly - the jacket itself MAY be enough for her on the boat, but if not, you have the option to slowly increase the level of heating.
First of, man, I want to buy you a beer, and a box of Cuban cigars!

I was really looking forward to this, and the stuff turned out to be better than expected, it really is the BOMB.
It arrived today, the 2.0 bat charged in no time, and she took off with a dog, wouldn't come back for a while, way longer than the outside temp would indicate, lol. Came back and... right away took the second dog for another walk. That's when I knew the thing is WORKING.
I asked how she felt about it, she said two words: "it's genius".

Amen, brother - much appreciated, you steered me right!

For full disclosure, the only wrinkle is the "kit" did not come with the second "gift" battery, so she's on the phone with HD telling them she checked the gift box but did not get it, whatever, lol.

BTW - Medium size fits her like a glove. And just like you said, it is best under another coat, which is what she did. Happy camper!
Will update if/when we go boating.
1606880041852.png

--

Attachments

Last edited:

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First of, man, I want to buy you a beer, and a box of Cuban cigars!
I'll take more pics of your water adventures as payment 👍👍

Here's hoping it works out for boating, but it sounds like she's like my wife, and she's a fan!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'll take more pics of your water adventures as payment 👍👍

Here's hoping it works out for boating, but it sounds like she's like my wife, and she's a fan!
So, a quick update.
It's been a smashing success. Honestly, Kate and the Milwaukee jacket are becoming... inseparable, lol.
Still waiting for the second battery (free gift with online purchase), communication has been excellent with HD, the battery that came with the jacket lasts many hours even on highest settings.

--

robby76

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
well Drewkaree and Swatski, you guys set the pace and the mark with this cold weather jacket. News today is stating the #1 item, HOT, this Christmas shopping season is...the battery powered Woman's jacket.

Great job fellows and Kate...You Look Marvelous wearing yours.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
well Drewkaree and Swatski, you guys set the pace and the mark with this cold weather jacket. News today is stating the #1 item, HOT, this Christmas shopping season is...the battery powered Woman's jacket.

Great job fellows and Kate...You Look Marvelous wearing yours.
All the credit goes to @drewkaree. I don't know if the online deal is still going on, Kate was able to get a second battery for free, so she can carry a spare. She described the whole deal as "genius", lol.

From what she says, it works exactly as @drewkaree said. The thing works best close to the body, it needs to fit tight to be effective; for very cold weather protection it can be used under another coat.
I tend to be naturally warm blooded, but for anyone who likes really warm clothes around these parts it seems this could be the ticket, a light and an extremely practical piece of wardrobe.

--