• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

***WARNING*** 2015-18 YAMAHA “AR” BOAT OWNERS WITH FORWARD SWEPT WAKEBOARD TOWERS

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Have you considered using blue thread locker? It should prevent the bolts loosening while allowing them to be removed with hand tools.
Yes, locktite wouldn't hurt.
But I noticed that when tightening the handwheel bolts first, the subsequent re-tightening of the mounting bracket nuts (under the hull cap) puts so much strain on the handwheel bolts, it is virtually impossible to remove those (without loosening the mount bolts again). Hope that makes sense...(see post #319 above for details and pics).

Basically, I think the mounting bracket moves just enough when re-tightened that it "jams" the other bolts in. I will monitor the situation but it may just be the temporary solution I was looking for (to give me at least some use of the boat for the rest of the season).

--

Last edited:

GWC69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
OP, sorry to hear about this problem and how Yamaha is handling it.
So how many boats has this tower collapse happened to ?
I see one post where someone put in a cross bolt which before that post I was wondering why this was not what was happening since its such a easy fix.
Also cant see why Yamaha just is not doing this in the first place, acouple pull pins would be a nice safety back up and keep stress off the aluminum threads.

Am I missing something here? is there a reason this would not be the easiest fix for this problem ?
I am looking at buying a new AR 195 next spring and am trying to do some research before buying ,came across this thread.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OP, sorry to hear about this problem and how Yamaha is handling it.
So how many boats has this tower collapse happened to ?
I see one post where someone put in a cross bolt which before that post I was wondering why this was not what was happening since its such a easy fix.
Also cant see why Yamaha just is not doing this in the first place, acouple pull pins would be a nice safety back up and keep stress off the aluminum threads.

Am I missing something here? is there a reason this would not be the easiest fix for this problem ?
I am looking at buying a new AR 195 next spring and am trying to do some research before buying ,came across this thread.
So far only one collapse on one boat and another with one turn screw that came out. Thats all that has been reported here.
I wouldn't let this thread alone affect your decision. Take everything that we know about your possible purchase into account.
@swatski had a real bad experience on the water when everything came apart and even worse experience with Yamaha.

GWC69

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok thanks, just did not know how many had this problem.
If it was thousand I would be worry about how Yamaha was handling it even though I think they should fix his problem.

If I buy the AR I will just cross pin the tower, although Yamaha should really do this.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's on my checklist to check the bolts each time out. About every other time I get 1/8 to 1/4 turn on one or both bolts. I've never lowered the tower and not sure if the dealer ever did either and it was purchased new. I plan on putting blue loctite on each bolt and see if that helps.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Every time i check my tower knobs they are always tight. After last time i had tower down and reraised it i cranked them hard as i could. And even after some serious cross wake jumping they are always as tight as i left em. So i am not sure why some of us have loose bolts after use and others dont. Maybe alignment issues?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have some 20+ boating friends who have boats with towers and use them for water sports. Various brands, no Yammies, mostly ski/wake boats. We talk about boats all the time. I do not recall having a single conversation, ever, where the word "maintenance" or "constant checking on it" would be used in the context of keeping a tower from falling. I do not recall a single mention of:
  1. worrying about a tower and needing to check on it
  2. needing to keep an eye on a tower locking mechanism and risk of cross threading when folding down/up
  3. dealing with a folding tower where the locking mechanism is a single bolt, not a cross-pin, w/no secondary safety
There are various issues with wake towers that are somewhat perennial in this industry, especially w/aftermarket installed towers. Usually having to do with fiberglass enforcement under the mounts etc. Not the design of the internal locking mechanism.

I will leave it at that. Happy boating everyone!

--

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I buy the AR I will just cross pin the tower, although Yamaha should really do this.
I don't know if the thin aluminum sides of the tower base are adequate to support a cross-pin/bolt mechanism, and that may be why there is no quick fix.
I have come up with a "solution" that makes the bolt just about impossible to pull out on its own, no matter what vibration or hull flex, it is posted here in post #319.
It kind of makes it inconvenient when putting the tower up and down, which is my main beef with Yamaha:

If you make a part that is meant to be used and reused often, and is critical for safety, make it foolproof!
(that hand-wheel bolt is anything but)

--

Last edited:

cj3737

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Other
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well I just read all 328 posts on this... Im going to apologize now if I jump around between thoughts as there are a ton of views here Im trying to organize..

I wholeheartedly agree Yamaha should be responsible for fixing the design flaw.. If the X design incorporates a release pin, why didnt they stick with that for all vessels? Cost savings? Cutting corners?? Hmmmmmm...... not at the cost of boater safety...

The warning sticker pic earlier caught my attention... I come from a world of warnings, cautions and notes which all reflect different levels of incurred damage or at the very least a potential hazard existing... "you should prolly tighten these at some point" tells me there have been issues along the same lines in the past and the designer may well have been aware of a potential failure if the bolts do come loose... The warning basically covers Yamaha should these bolts come loose.. "we told you to check it!!"

@swatski I am in no way, shape, or form saying you didnt tighten the bolts... I am 100% convinced you did tighten the bolts and had no reason to doubt they werent tight. From the pix to bimini, they look to be seated properly and im sure everyone here would have proceeded on just as you did...

Some other valid points Ive thought of while reading...

1. Was the yammy rep that came out a certified technician? Was he qualified to be looking at potential metal failure? Was he an "expert" at crossthreading?

2. Is there a running torque value to the threaded inserts? Running torque is a slight tapering of the insert at the end to provide a ceratain amount of "locking" of the threads.. A bolt ran thru should stop at a certain point and become more difficult to turn until the bolt is properly seated. From the videos early on of the 7 turns to tight, dont show any running torque as they can be ran all the way up and down with very minimal, if any, pressure applied to the handle. This leads me to believe there is ZERO countermeasure to vibration with this design. With no lock feature, metal on metal will never hold up over time... YAMAHA DESIGN FLAW

3. How deep the insert was seated compared to others pictures... Yours are clearly deeper than others...BUT... they still shouldve allowed more than 2 turns from loose to tight... which leads me into the crossthread notion...

4. Cross thread tendency- From the other posts ive read, this design has a tendency to crossthread which will allow it to seem tight but not be. Not a fault of the user...ANY USER.. From what Ive gathered, these towers dont sit right on the boat especially if you have to push or pull any part of it to get the bolt to line up.... TOWER MANUFACTURE DEFECT. The only thing that I can see is if, in the past, you did notice you had quite a few turns to tight and all of a sudden you only had 2... But unless you are looking for that specifically, most people may not notice it... Tight is tight unless you come from a world of turning wrenches.. A simple Nylok threading inside the insert would suffice for a while but would eventually degrade over time for those who constantly lower the tower to stuff in a garage. Even a simple note in the manual saying "put a small dab of silicone sealant on the threads prior to tightening bolts" would work....

5. The spring on the handle itself... When I first looked, I thought , "hey is spring loaded.. thatll add a little tension to the handle to help it from backing out.." but alas it realistically serves no safety purpose other than losing it overboard... YAMAHA DESIGN FLAW.. garbage

6. Safety Cable.... uhhhh... what safety?? helps hold the tower upon gentle stowing of the tower.. WTF? Lemme break it down... Yamaha puts a clear warning on the bolts to keep them tight, but doesnt install a 2 safety measure incase thier bolt does come loose due to an unsafetied metal on metal fastening system? Interesting... Take that to the bank... YAMAHA SAFETY DESIGN FLAW. I agree with the gas powered shock or some kind or retractable inertia reel cable would be better that a loose hanging cable.

On to your fix...That will last a while but heres what I came up with. By removing threads, youve effectively decreased the surface contact area of the bolt thus the holding power. If the insert gives way, it wont matter how many threads you have.. The whole thing will come out. I know you needed to just to clean up the cross thread but still takes away from the holding power. By removing the rubber grommet and drastically changing the location of the bolt shoulder, you may or may not run the risk of "shanking" out the bolt. If this isnt intended for those who must put the tower up and down all the time, adding some sort of thread locker would aid in it not backing out under vibration....

Sorry is this is somewhat direct.. Im not pointing fingers at anyone other that the Yamaha design team.. They obviously have a problem on thier hands but it looks like they are sitting on them...

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cj3737 Great post! thank you. I think the more opinions the better, you certainly brought a lot of very very good points here for the discussion. I'm not able to address all right now (but I will as I believe your thoughts warrant serious consideration and very positive comments!)

By removing the rubber grommet and drastically changing the location of the bolt shoulder, you may or may not run the risk of "shanking" out the bolt. If this isnt intended for those who must put the tower up and down all the time, adding some sort of thread locker would aid in it not backing out under vibration....
Just to address this one, I indeed intend to leave the tower up. To prevent accidental (or over time) "shanking" of those bolts, I left the under-the-hull-cap bolts lose initially (while mounting the tower) and then only re-tighten those AFTER the tower was up (w/the hand-wheel bolts bolted in all the way).
That way the hand-wheel bolts become effectively "clamped" inside/between the locking brace and the base of the tower and there is no possible way those can slide out or come out other than by braking in half or pulling the tower base out of the fiberglass hull cap.
(that latter possibility is extremely unlikely as there is about 2-3" of fiberglass reinforcement there and it is the same in all models - also capable of holding the X tower weighing some 3-4 times as much).

Anyway, thanks for your contribution and thoughts, much appreciated. I'll be back to address the other points you kindly raised.

--

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@swatski, if you want to buy her for parts, I will be in for buying the trailer and picking her up from PA.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
what do you mean if you had some time? I will pick her up and bring her to your house.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what do you mean if you had some time? I will pick her up and bring her to your house.
Well, time to fix her up!!! LOL.
That is a big project. But yes, parting it out would be potentially very profitable, and I would get the tower, but that requires storage and time to run around...
@Betik - I don't know what to do...

--

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Let me know if yall are interested, I've bought a few things off Copart and have some tips.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also doubt very much this will go for less that 10-15k, so keep that in mind. The current bid is a joke.

--

PaulyB

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can see it going for 8k, but not much more...

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great find! I feel bad for the guy who was in the driver's seat... the current bid is up to $4,550... it's quickly becoming a investment. Maybe just find out who buys it and call dibs on the tower?