• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We have been looking to add to our boating options

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, don't look too close. ;) I have thought about Kreg system on other projects. I have an issue I guess with metal fasterers. I would like to do this one with as few as I can. IDK, I look at the oak frame put together with oak pegs that I live under and knowing it is strong into the wind. (60mph) last night. These steps are folding, many piano hinges, and will also be enclosed in epoxy/poly, to keep moisture out.
I get the lack of metal in the design. Especially considering the usage here. I think Kreg makes both coated and stainless screws if that helps at all. I've used the coated screws on some outdoor projects in the past. They seem to be of good quality and have held up for the few years I've had them in service.

The mortise/tenon joinery is FAR more involved, and quite honestly, a more robust and elegant design. I used to watch HOURS of "The New Yankee Workshop" with my dad back before cable television was a thing. I remember him making the tenons with a basic table saw, and a dado blade, and the mortise with a "chisel bit" in the drill press like this. Always seemed to have nice results for him, but of course I'm sure there was some TV magic in there.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We made a run for the wall today, the 10mi. wall, and made it to the Shelburne Shipyard. We needed to measure for essential boat projects. I checked the fit of the cover for the liquor cabinet and measured for two more wood (construction) projects.

IMG_20200417_134256.jpg

IMG_20200417_134430.jpg

The black cherry cover is sanded epoxy and does not have the final finish yet. It will match the new cherry/holly sole, floor. It is a contrast to the mahogany veneer but we are trying to lighten up the interior a little.

IMG_20200417_134625.jpg

A lot nicer than what was there before.

We made it back inside the perimeter unnoticed.

20200417_224612.jpg

Last edited:

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, I have to ask - how do you get in, do you have a zipper in the shrink wrap? Does your marina do the wrapping?

--

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Okay, I have to ask - how do you get in, do you have a zipper in the shrink wrap? Does your marina do the wrapping?

--
Yes, there is an upside down "U" shaped zippered door to the right of the ladder. Makes it nice to get in and out of the cockpit. And yes, the Shipyard or a sub did the shrinkwrap. Was not nearly as nice as the job done last year. I actually saved the zippered door from last years shrinkwrap to reuse.

20200417_220225.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Cool... I didn't know they could give you a door in shrinkwrap...

Oh, and very nice work on the top!

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, don't look too close. ;) I have thought about Kreg system on other projects. I have an issue I guess with metal fasterers. I would like to do this one with as few as I can. IDK, I look at the oak frame put together with oak pegs that I live under and knowing it is strong into the wind. (60mph) last night. These steps are folding, many piano hinges, and will also be enclosed in epoxy/poly, to keep moisture out.
If you've got the time and reasoning to do it the Norm Abram way you can't beat it. We use a lot of pocket screws in our cabinet making. Mostly in our face frames. I'm a bit of a purist in that regard, most new shops are tuning full CNC machining and building European frameless... I just can't bring myself to do it...

But the kreg joints are impressively strong still. Here's an idea for keeping things sealed and looking tidy.

Great craftsmanship going on @zipper! Looks like a good time to me.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If you've got the time and reasoning to do it the Norm Abram way you can't beat it. We use a lot of pocket screws in our cabinet making. Mostly in our face frames. I'm a bit of a purist in that regard, most new shops are tuning full CNC machining and building European frameless... I just can't bring myself to do it...

But the kreg joints are impressively strong still. Here's an idea for keeping things sealed and looking tidy.

Great craftsmanship going on @zipper! Looks like a good time to me.
Funny, I have watched "This old House" episodes for decades. His workshop is impressive and I am nowhere near that calliber, LOL. IDK, I have always been fascinated with the ability to hold timber joints together without any metal fasteners. Hence, the timber frame house. I will not be pegging the steps, but using West Systems epoxy to hold and waterproof everything.
I just modified my mortise jig to be self centering. I will be marking out and cutting the mortises today. Don't tell my old Ryobi router til I am done here...I am buying a plunge router to make the process easier. Thanks for the link.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

--
This is what we thought of the shrinkwrap job they did this year. I am pretty sure it was a sub-contractor with little experience covering a sailboat. They did not build a complete frame system to support the shrinkwrap, but laid it over the boom, with no "dead man", a 2x4 to support the boom under the snow/ice load. I was pissed off and tired from hammering and removing 800+#'s of snow and ice laying on the starboard side deck, creating an uneven load on the cradle she sits in. We don't want a domino effect.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Took off the shrinkwrap a few minutes ago, having lunch on the boat.

20200425_124215.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We went down to the shipyard yesterday to uncover the Beneteau and wake her up from her long Winter nap. In addition to lunch on the boat, we had a short list of things to do. I topped off the charge on the batteries and put them in. I carried them up the ladder. We also installed the male side of the Dot snaps in the fiberglass to hold the cockpit cushions in place.

20200425_142818.jpg

I also installed snaps on the aluminum toe rail in the bow using a pop rivet gun, to hold the bow pad she made in place.

Screenshot_20200425-183335_Gallery.jpg

We also had to make a decision on the material to cover a hole in the cockpit where an old B&G instrument was. We bought a new Raymarine instrument to tie into the existing backbone so occupants in the cockpit could see the SOG and Depth without standing at the Navpod. I made two panels, one from Cherry, like some of the other mods and one from Starboard to see which we liked best.

20200425_141621.jpg

20200425_131628.jpg

20200425_131623.jpg

20200425_131858.jpg

After switching them back and forth, we both liked the White Starboard mounting plate better. I was surprised, I really wanted the wood but it is less of a distraction when you are looking for readings from the instrument. And I am OK with that. The reasons are, it does look better AND the Starboard came from the Yamaha. It is left over from modifying the table holder in the locker. I moved/modified the table holder when I refitted the locker for better storage. So now a little piece of the Yamaha will be on the Beneteau for the rest of her life.

One of the next projects is to make 6 sets of these Lift off offset hinges from S.S. to replace the broken and bent aluminum hinges that came from the factory. Beneteau Spare Parts does not sell them anymore and I connot find them at any "hinge superstore" anywhere.

20200426_060248.jpg

Felt good to be back on deck!

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The boat is waking up! Love it!

(and I fully agree on the Starboard. the wood is beautiful, but too busy there.)

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One week to put the boat back together. Splash on May 18.

20200511_095422.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update: Out on the boat getting ready for the season yesterday. Putting on the refinished grab bar on top of the companionway. The 29 yo teak was weathered and worn. After a few coats of West System 105/207 and Epifanes 2 part satin polyurethane it matches the rest of the teak I refinished last year.

20200512_133608.jpg

I also started the install of our new companionway doors we purchased to replace the sliding acrylic hatch boards. These doors have many options available.
The doors mount outside the existing aluminum channel for the for the acrylic hatch boards. This allows us to use both sets of doors for added security.

20200512_134108.jpg

Willow checked off most of the options for the replacable panel inserts.

20200511_150012.jpg

They come with a green tinted panel. She opted for the white translucent night time privacy panel and the screen inserts (not shown). They also have 316 s.s. screened louvered vents at the bottom of each door controlled from inside.

20200511_145849.jpg

Here is a shot of a good section of the Green Mountain range. On the left is the highest peak in Vt. @4300+ ft, Mt, Mansfield, Stowe ski resort and Smugglers Notch on the other side. Directly behind the sailboat is Camels Hump. 3rd highest peak. and to the right is a chain of mountains that make up Mad River Glen and The Sugarbush Ski resorts. Between Mansfield and the Hump are a couple of white lines you can see in the mountains...That is Bolton Valley ski resort.

20200513_063236.jpg

Last edited:

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Missed a few of your updates but it’s looking very nice @zipper

(I’m a fan of the festoon domino for tendons)

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Missed a few of your updates but it’s looking very nice @zipper

(I’m a fan of the festoon domino for tendons)
Nice tool, I will be watching the video's. Thanks. Now you are complicating the picture.😉 I want to buy a TIG welder...what to do?🤔

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Nice tool, I will be watching the video's. Thanks. Now you are complicating the picture.😉 I want to buy a TIG welder...what to do?🤔
I try not to drink the festoon kool aid. But the domino and a track saw are very handy to have around.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Back in the Saddle again...in the water, in a slip awaiting May 22 marina opening.

20200518_101019.jpg
20200518_101854.jpg
20200518_110435.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We added the companionway doors. We can use either or both. The existing 29yo acrylic hatch boards are crazed and chipped. We will still use them on occasion. The doors are easier to use while on board and allow many variations for ventilation with control of the vents from the inside as well as screen panel inserts for the doors. They add a little more privacy and I won't feel like I am in a fishbowl as much.

20200514_121823.jpg

20200516_141530.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We decided to do a Short Haul today to address a 29 y.o. unused thru hull that was weeping about a cup of water in 24 hrs. into the grid area of the sole forward of the bilge pump well. It had slowed to a tablespoon and the water never made it to the bilge pump as we kept wiping it up with a sponge. This afternoon I resealed that old thru hull until we haul out again this fall. I used black Lifeseal to cover over what upon a little digging revealed a couple of bad sealant locations at 6 and 9 o'clock. Definetly could have been the source of the leak. Good to go in the morning tomorrow. Will do a permanant repair after this short season is over. It ain't pretty, but it will stop the leak.

20200526_173152.jpg

20200526_174235.jpg

Last edited:

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Short Haul = taking it out of the water briefly?

And how do you know it was 29 years old?