• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We have been looking to add to our boating options

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Tartan's are beautiful, I have been looking thru a list of them. They are on my list with a couple of Beneteaus. There is a Cal 31 nearby, but again it is too old. Looked at a Jeanneau but did not like the cabin height. Considering boats from any fresh water bodies that can be sailed here, The Great Lakes, you can get there from here, thru Canada. The problem is, winter is coming, last haul out around here is Oct. 15, so this all might have to happen in the spring.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We are still interested in the Beneteau First 32s5, but his asking price is high. We will see how motivated he is to sell. If that falls thru, there is a Beneteau First 35s5 in the "Great Lakes" area that caught my eye. I am going to make contact, to get more info on condition and why they are selling. It's initial price is less than the 32'er. Anyway I have been reading up on a few sailing related topics. Thought I'd share some of the titles. Who knows, someone here might follow in my Docksider tracks. Do not follow me when I am wearing my Muck Boots, you will get in deep in a different way. :rolleyes:
20171008_064247.jpg 20171008_064254.jpg 20171008_065048.jpg 20171008_065436.jpg 20171008_065802.jpg
Any way, lots of "hot stove" reading over the winter.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
If anybody has a 1/2 hr. to watch this guys solo trip to Hawaii and back, do. It is from this Summer, early July thru the eclipse. Pretty cool to see how he problem solves.

Reactions: 007

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The first "Hot Stove" reading session this fall. Temp. 77 yesterday, 45 now at 6pm. This is a new book not shown in the collection above. Lit one of the stoves to take the chill out of the house.
20171011_184902.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, a lot has happened in the month since I last posted on this thread. We are still looking for the right boat at the right price. The Beneteau first 32s5 was a nice boat, but the seller wanted too much for her. I think he was waiting for the Canadian dollar to come up a little higher. We could not come close enough on a price. I drove to Conn to look at and survey a Beneteau 345. After a short haul and sea trial, that boat needed too much work for their price and the surveyor told me to run. He gave 1/3 of the $$ back. Being unable to inspect the rusty keel bolts because of a wet swollen and rotted cabin sole had a lot to do with it. We are now interested in a 1990 C&C 30 mk ll. Navy blue Hull caught the wife's eye. Nice looking boat that appears well maintained. Will have to wait until Thanksgiving to view as the owners are currently in Florida, but coming back for the holiday. Summer/fall weather has ended, The Yamaha is winterized. We are in a mid winter blast now. Ya we have a little of the 4letter "S" word on the ground from last night's thunder snow storm. Been spending most days cutting downed trees from my maple sap lines from a 70-80mph wind storm two weeks ago, PITA. So one more boat to look at before things freeze up, then the search will resume in the spring if this one does not work out. I do like the layout of this C&C. Hope it works out.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hopefully you can do some word of mouth shopping as well as internet shopping over the winter and have some solid leads by spring. We've gotten our new to us cruiser finally and we're starting to get settled in. We are able to use it year around here in Texas and we certainly take advantage of it.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sailing discussion on the jetboaters board.
Awesome!
Truth be told, I’m a sailor that jet boats, between sail boats.
Last was a ‘11 Leopard 39 (cat), that we sold in ‘15.
We bought our current 242X, a month later-

For the past week or so, my wife and i have been discussing chartering a cat for Bimini ‘18.
I’d say we are actually leaning towards this now....

I’ve been on sailboats since before i have memories as it was my families pastime on Long Island Sound. For most of the time i lived st home, we had a Bristol 30. After i moved out, my father went all the way up the Catalina line to the 47.

Being in the military for the first 10 years of our marriage, we didn’t own a boat until we were at our last duty station (Quantico, VA).

For those that want to learn to sail, and make sure their spouse/family enjoys it too, recommend looking at ASA Bareboat Certifications. A few years back my wife and oldest daughter lived aboard a sailboat for a week in Ft Lauderdale and earned 3 ASA sailing CERT’s. After that, we (just my family) then sailed our boat from the Chesapeake Bay to and through NYC, to my original home port on the North shore of LI. Family Bucketlist!

Anyway, love this discussion!

Let’s go sailing!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@PEARCE Congrats on your 99 Sea Ray. Yes, we northern boaters whose waters freeze over during winter, get envious of those who can boat year round. But it is all a trade off of one thing or another. As I was winterizing mine, my father was opening his 2 up in Florida. The search for the right sailboat for us has been educational, learned a lot from the surveyors. We started locally then went to NY and then Bridgeport, Conn., that boat had not been out of the water in 3 years, and showed it. The next boat, the C&C, is again in NY. As the saying goes...Good things come to those who wait. Although I don't care for it, but that is what I get for posting about it, I will take the "Bummer dude" rating for what that record breaking wind storm did to my and others' Sugar bushes. I still have a lot of work ahead of me before the season begins, restoring sap lines to their original pitch. I gotta get back to work in the woods. At the risk of getting more of the same, this is a small sample of what I see.
20171105_100257.jpg 20171109_155925.jpg

@Glen Thank You for your reply. The 39' Cat is a lot of boat and totally awesome. Something I would love to sail. My wife earned her ASA 101 and 103 this fall and I will do the same in the spring and maybe 104 in the fall. She is pulling me into it and it did not take much pulling. We are looking for a good weekender sailboat and have looked at several in the 30-35' range. Being a newbie to sailing, not boats, we are looking for a well kept, low maintenance, if possible mono hull that points well with a higher end hull speed. Looked at several Beneteau First series boats and now we are liking the C&C 30 mk ll. I know C&C was bought out by Tartan years ago, but you cannot find negative reviews on this boat on the internet, at least I cannot find much. As far as renting a Cat for the Bimini trip, AWESOME idea.
We really love our Yamaha for day trips, but also look forward to weekend trips sailing. Who knows, we may find 30' too small in a few years, but it is a good size to learn the do's and don'ts of sailing on after the ASA classes. And its a pretty good racer.

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We did family of 5 all over LI Sound. Block Island to Martha’s Vinyard, Essex, Greenport,..

It was nautical camping,.., and we had a ball.

Important component is other boating families to cruise with. Sailing association, yacht club,..., whatever.
#’s = fun & safety.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sailing discussion on the jetboaters board.
Awesome!
Truth be told, I’m a sailor that jet boats, between sail boats.
Last was a ‘11 Leopard 39 (cat), that we sold in ‘15.
We bought our current 242X, a month later-

For the past week or so, my wife and i have been discussing chartering a cat for Bimini ‘18.
I’d say we are actually leaning towards this now....

I’ve been on sailboats since before i have memories as it was my families pastime on Long Island Sound. For most of the time i lived st home, we had a Bristol 30. After i moved out, my father went all the way up the Catalina line to the 47.

Being in the military for the first 10 years of our marriage, we didn’t own a boat until we were at our last duty station (Quantico, VA).

For those that want to learn to sail, and make sure their spouse/family enjoys it too, recommend looking at ASA Bareboat Certifications. A few years back my wife and oldest daughter lived aboard a sailboat for a week in Ft Lauderdale and earned 3 ASA sailing CERT’s. After that, we (just my family) then sailed our boat from the Chesapeake Bay to and through NYC, to my original home port on the North shore of LI. Family Bucketlist!

Anyway, love this discussion!

Let’s go sailing!
I'm looking at cats for retirement. I really like the Leopard line. Going to try some barefoot boating to test some boats and test the water....

I'm a big fan if Just Watermelons in FL. ask for Ken the owner!

Glen

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm looking at cats for retirement. I really like the Leopard line. Going to try some barefoot boating to test some boats and test the water....

I'm a big fan if Just Watermelons in FL. ask for Ken the owner!
What is Just Watermelons?
-boat
-marina
-restaurant
-broker

Googling didn’t help find...

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Glen , great to watch what you are looking to do. I have sailed a bunch of times now and for the monohulls, we have had great times on the beneteau's. Last one was a 45' but we had a crew of 5 and took this in the Chesapeake Bay (Maryland). We also took a Jeanneau 50' around the Grenadines and that was a very nice boat. For British virgin island trips we have always taken a catamaran and these are my favorite for camping aboard. I think it would be hard to maneuver one around some areas given their size/width

Keep us posted on your boat search.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@4x15mph I am the OP looking to purchase a good used sailboat. I do like Beneteaus. However 2 that we have looked at were made in France and needed refitting to bring up to USCG standards. One owner did not want to lower his price because of it and the other boat had those same and other issues also. Both had european power outlets, not a big deal to change, and substandard propane installations, mentioned in a survey 13 years ago, to name a few. I found a pretty good read on a survey site, and because of it I will be rethinking the placement of my battery charger and putting my batteries in boxes, on the Yamaha. Check it out when you get a few minutes, here is a link http://www.pcmarinesurveys.com/Marine Survey 101.htm. I know most Yamaha buyers will not get a survey pre purchase, I did not, but once you step up to bigger boats with more complex systems, they should get one. Here are some of the boats we have looked at since August.
Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.14.48 PM.png 85 Oday 31Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.18.12 PM.png84 Oday 34Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.19.15 PM.png 90 Beneteau 32s5Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.27.04 PM.png 91 Beneteau 35s5Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.30.21 PM.png 86 Beneteau 345, this boat was a mess and the broker lied in the add. The bilge was not dry, there were water level marks on the teak bulkheads and the sole was too swollen/rotted to remove to inspect the keel bolts. The price drop is due to survey I had done. So much for Popyachts. We will be looking at a 90 C&C 30 Mkll next week. Looks to be a well cared for, fresh water boat. I will give it the once over, survey 101, and then decide on the offer and professional survey to follow. The C&C has grown on me, I do like her lines topside and her interior layout.
Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.04.54 PM.png Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.05.53 PM.png Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.08.06 PM.png Screen shot 2017-11-13 at 12.08.46 PM.png 90 C&C 30 Mkll.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The ice has finally melted enough to update this thread. We went to look at the C&C 30 mk. II in late Dec. A three + hr. drive south to Saratoga, NY. Two hours into the drive the owner calls us and says "the zipper on the shrink wrap door was frozen shut and he could not open", we looked at each other and said WTF, get it thawed. When we arrived it was not open so we only looked at the outside hull, keel and rudder. He had at one time wrapped an anchor/mooring chain around around the keel causing damage to the trailing edge of the keel fairing. I also noticed some delamination of the fairing from the lead keel on both sides of the keel.
20171228_121933.jpg 20180225_151653.jpg And the other side showing delam. and the infamous C&C "smile" where you see the joint between keel and hull. 20180226_063606.jpg Nice boat, but I dont know that we will be going back, knowing some of the expences surveying, sea trialing and trucking it up here.
Screenshot_20171230-124608.png Brings me to todays boat visit. We went to look at another Beneteau 35S5. It was still in winter storage and a mess inside and out. I hate when people do not put a proper winter cover on their boat and only rely on a tarp over the cockpit. Nice boat overall but needs a few fixes and upgrades.
20180225_111202.jpg 20180225_114800.jpg 20180225_114302.jpg Inside20180225_111952.jpg 20180225_113201.jpg 20180225_112350.jpg Will need a new oven, inner layer of glass shattered. 20180225_112402.jpg Needs radar/sonar and an auto pilot. Some seat cushions need seams restiched. Bilge was pretty clean, keel bolts good. After we look at a survey he had done last spring we will decide if we want to proceed with this boat. The wife likes it, and that is important.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update: We went back and forth with the seller over the price for the 1991 Beneteau 35s5 and we finally agreed on a price for the boat. Lots of paper work to do, contract, then survey and sea trial, Late April time frame and then we can sail her 4hr. north. Here is a short list of mods. I will be doing, once we take possession.
Raymarine evolution auto pilot '18
Raymarine Axiom 9 w/ Quantum radar and RealVision 3d sonar '18
Replace 2-blade folding prop with a 3-blade feathering prop '18
Folding wheel at helm '19
Replace broken Origo oven '19
Netting on the lifelines to keep dogs on board. '18
Complete cleaning of boat, wash hull buff/polish topsides ASAP
Fix canvas
Etc., etc.

I say late April, because this is what the Champlain Valley looks like this morning.
20180317_080627.jpg Here is the add on Craigslist, found the Yamaha here too.
https://vermont.craigslist.org/boa/d/beneteau-1991-first-35s5/6503402403.html and another link to a recently sold, not our boat, that will show her off. https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=50s&v=cNB-RGvp3-k My pictures are of only this boat in winter storage and it looks a mess.
20180225_111952.jpg 20180225_113135.jpg 20180225_114435.jpg 20171020_145155.jpg 20171020_144547.jpg 20180225_113343.jpg
My spare time this spring just disappeared, but this boat should be an awesome ride. Tick, tick, tick. until our maiden voyage. Stay tuned, lots of mods to install, i know not on the Yamaha. But there is not much difference.;)

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looks like a good find - hope it all checks out!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like a good find - hope it all checks out!
I hope so, and thanks, us too. We have a survey that the current owner had done last April at purchase. Ya he owned the boat for less than a year, and he is selling, reminds me of someone else on this forum. Says he bought "too much boat for them to handle." I have been looking for another reason, " damage to the boat", and I cannot find anything other than a few "dock dings". The survey from last April, states the boat is a "dry" boat with deck and hull soundings good. Moisture meter showed moisture in the rudder and recommended a drain hole be drilled near the bottom to let the water out before it freezes and "pops". It will eventually need to be recored or replaced. As soon as the weather improves we will have our guy check out the boat to see what he comes up with. We ended up agreeing on a price below his survey value. Now I want to see what our surveyor comes up with. Hopefully we can get it done in the next 3 or 4 weeks. And then we need to find a mooring somewhere in Malletts Bay, near the slip where the Yamaha will be. A mooring is much cheaper than a slip, and in the first summer of ownership as we get used to her, figured it is easier to park a new boat in a mooring field, than among all the other boats at a slip/marina, until we know how to handle her with confidence. She is 35 feet long and has much different handling than my 23 ft. Yamaha.

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Very exciting Zipper. Hope everything works out.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Congrats, hope it all works out for you.

For the dogs (and you) I’d suggest looking into something like the FELL marine MOB+. It will set an alarm (and kill the engine) if anyone wearing one falls overboard.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats, hope it all works out for you.

For the dogs (and you) I’d suggest looking into something like the FELL marine MOB+. It will set an alarm (and kill the engine) if anyone wearing one falls overboard.
MOB alarms are great, but as far as killing the engine, we will need to do that manually, the sails will be my engines most of the time.;)

Last edited: