• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We have been looking to add to our boating options

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats on the new addition @zipper ! I know ya'll are excited for some new adventures in boating and being able to move with the power of wind. Seeing your new anchor rod reminds me I need to look into replacing ours on the Sea Ray. It's a similar setup to yours with the chain and rope combo that needs to feed through a windless. The rope is starting to come upbraided where it meets the chain and the rest of the rope is showing wear. Do you mind sharing the link where you got yours if you bought online?

Looking forward to seeing more pics of her in the water and under sail. Happy boating!!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Congrats on the new addition @zipper ! I know ya'll are excited for some new adventures in boating and being able to move with the power of wind. Seeing your new anchor rod reminds me I need to look into replacing ours on the Sea Ray. It's a similar setup to yours with the chain and rope combo that needs to feed through a windless. The rope is starting to come upbraided where it meets the chain and the rest of the rope is showing wear. Do you mind sharing the link where you got yours if you bought online?

Looking forward to seeing more pics of her in the water and under sail. Happy boating!!
This is the link, but I can not see exactly what we bought. They are having a big sale, maybe out of stock temporarily they just had free 2nd day air that ended tue. https://lewmar.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/76322/Anchors.html

Edit: See post below. Found the link.

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Willow and I went out to the marina yesterday to check out the slip location where the Beneteau will be docked this summer. Looks like our neighbor, other side of the finger, will be that catamaran in the background.
20180518_160021.jpg
Very happy its not this boat.
20180518_160312.jpg
This was the good side. On port the leaves were 6" deep. Sail cover looks good though.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Went to West Marine today to pick up a few things mentioned in the survey to bring the Beneteau into compliance with USCG regs. For a 35' boat.
20180519_174252.jpg
We were also in need of a dinghy, as our draft is not Yamahaesque at 6'3". Found a 1 y.o. West Marine 9' SB275, unused believe it or not, in a private sale. Lists for $1200, on sale at WM now for $1000. We paid $500. This will be our way to get to the beach when using the sailboat. Maybe I will put a small Yamaha OB on it.
Screenshot_20180519-175756.png

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I would love sailing but it looks so complicated and lots of work. Must be fun though!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would love sailing but it looks so complicated and lots of work. Must be fun though!
Agreed. I'd love to look into sailing later in life when we get tired of ripping around on the small boats. I know nothing about it, I bet the learning curve is a bit steeper than trying to figure out jets :)

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I hope so:rolleyes:...just kiddin, there is a lot more to learn in sailing, when your sails are litterally your engines. How to use the wind angle, in relation to the boat, wind speed. What sails to use and under what conditions, how much to pull in or let out, when to make the first reef. I have learned a lot about sailing and sailboats in the last, wow only 9 mos., seems like a lot longer. Most of my studies have been in the various systems used in sailboats and how to find a good one. I still have a lot to learn about actual sailing, but I am motivated and will learn quickly. We have befriended several sailing instructors at the ISS and I am sure they will be tripping over each other to sail with us, this boat regularly beat them in the Mayors Cup, ten years ago.

Agreed. I'd love to look into sailing later in life when we get tired of ripping around on the small boats. I know nothing about it, I bet the learning curve is a bit steeper than trying to figure out jets :)
I have always, since the age of 3, been on powerboats, 57 now and learning everything I can about sailing and the boats. Never woulda thunk it 1 year ago, I blame it on Willow, she took her first class, ASA 101, last august and both of us were hooked. We still love our AR230, but I guess she was not a big enough hole in the water to pour money into...so we bought a sailboat.:winkingthumbsup"

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Update: Rudder bushing repair completed and the boat has been put in the water.
6288.jpeg
We did not know they were putting in the water today, did not know rudder was installed, no fenders or dock lines were on the boat so they put it on a mooring, boat in the middle, will have them move it to a temp. slip so we can re equip the boat. Sails, lines, everything. We took it all off for cleaning. Once equipped we will make the move 4-5hrs. north.

Received a few items we ordered thru West Marine today, and picked up at store. Another 35' dock line (spring line), another fire extinguisher, a turning block for the jib furling line and these two other handy items. First is the Weems and Plath emergency electronic flare.
20180605_185644.jpg
Hope I dont need to use it, but at least this flare won't expire.

The other one is a Lewmar folding helm wheel. The boat has a 48" wheel that takes up a lot of room in the cockpit and making it necessary to step on seats to get around it. We bought a 42" folding wheel to remedy this.
20180605_184051.jpg
It quickly folds to this
20180605_184535.jpg
This will open up a lot of room. A lot of mods to install while the boat is at her slip this summer.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

sethman919

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice looking sail boat. I grew up with sail boats. My dad hated power boats. a couple different catalinas and one brand new Gulf 32 full keel pilot house. that was a nice boat. later before my dad passed he had an Ericsson 35. Great boat.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Very interesting read.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
We went out to the boat yesterday afternoon to put on safety equipment. New anchor, chain and rode. Life jackets, throwable ring, life sling etc. Brought 6 fenders and all of the dock lines. Had the marina move the boat to the fuel dock from the transient mooring so we could load the boat up. Too much stuff to put into a dinghy and row out there. I had them move it because I had removed a diesel hose so a new one could be made locally(cracked). Volvo wanted over $200 had it made for $70. Installed the new one, bled the line and she fired right up. Ran her at the dock for a few minutes to flush out the anti-freeze. With the abundance of water, we gave her deck and cockpit area a good bath and found a couple of things that will need rebedding, binnacle and two port lites on port. I can see where a P.O. had tried a half a$$ed repair on the lites that did not work. I will fix it.

Now it is time to practice around the mooring. To determine how the throttle controls respond in forward and reverse, away from other boats, before we get to the slip and the 41' Hunter that is right next to us. I need to determine how the two blade folding Gori prop responds in forward and reverse. A little nervous about moving her next week, but we have hired a captain, who is a sailing instructor and pilot, to help us bring her up here. A lot to learn in a short time. A couple of pics. from yesterday.
20180606_131107.jpg
IMG_20180606_123519919.jpg

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Man this is cool. I'm very envious. What a cool adventure just the purchase has been, I can't imagine the fun ahead after the boat is well sorted, and you're comfortable with it.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice boat. Sailboats are low maintenance. Fill up 10g of diesel every 5 years. Boat all day for $0.25 in fuel. I love windy days. Once it was blowing hard and we stuck a 30 Catalina on a beam reach until the rudder would come out of the water and head us back into the wind. Remember to secure everything in the shelves inside!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nice boat. Sailboats are low maintenance. Fill up 10g of diesel every 5 years. Boat all day for $0.25 in fuel. I love windy days. Once it was blowing hard and we stuck a 30 Catalina on a beam reach until the rudder would come out of the water and head us back into the wind. Remember to secure everything in the shelves inside!
Thanks, Love it! Your description of that experience made my mind race, you made me smile. We will start slow and put the first reef in early until we are comfortable with the boat and how she sails. And we gain more experience. This boat sails well into the wind, so we will have to see how/when she rounds up.

Last edited:

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We went out to the boat yesterday afternoon to put on safety equipment. New anchor, chain and rode. Life jackets, throwable ring, life sling etc. Brought 6 fenders and all of the dock lines. Had the marina move the boat to the fuel dock from the transient mooring so we could load the boat up. Too much stuff to put into a dinghy and row out there. I had them move it because I had removed a diesel hose so a new one could be made locally(cracked). Volvo wanted over $200 had it made for $70. Installed the new one, bled the line and she fired right up. Ran her at the dock for a few minutes to flush out the anti-freeze. With the abundance of water, we gave her deck and cockpit area a good bath and found a couple of things that will need rebedding, binnacle and two port lites on port. I can see where a P.O. had tried a half a$$ed repair on the lites that did not work. I will fix it.

Now it is time to practice around the mooring. To determine how the throttle controls respond in forward and reverse, away from other boats, before we get to the slip and the 41' Hunter that is right next to us. I need to determine how the two blade folding Gori prop responds in forward and reverse. A little nervous about moving her next week, but we have hired a captain, who is a sailing instructor and pilot, to help us bring her up here. A lot to learn in a short time. A couple of pics. from yesterday.
View attachment 76089
View attachment 76090
Nice boat!!!!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks, Love it! Your description of that experience made my mind race, you made me smile. We will start slow and put the first reef in early until we are comfortable with the boat and how she sails. And we gain more experience. This boat sails well into the wind, so we will have to see how/when she rounds up.
No need to reef. I've never reefed a main. I thought about it when we took out a 16' Hobie cat in 40mph winds. We couldn't keep it down so we headed up and dropped the jib. Even then we had to hang out with the sail luffing to keep from flipping. 4' waves and probably 15mph was nuts. Just let the sails out if it leans too much for you. practice with just the main if you are new to sailing. You can't flip a boat with a keel.

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No need to reef. I've never reefed a main. I thought about it when we took out a 16' Hobie cat in 40mph winds. We couldn't keep it down so we headed up and dropped the jib. Even then we had to hang out with the sail luffing to keep from flipping. 4' waves and probably 15mph was nuts. Just let the sails out if it leans too much for you. practice with just the main if you are new to sailing. You can't flip a boat with a keel.
"You can't flip a boat with a keel"........ challenge accepted :)

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can't flip a boat with a keel.
Sounds like "famous last words" I know this, but you can scare the crap out of people when you bury the toe rail under water. This is gonna be fun! Its the accidental jibes that will mess with you.