• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

We have been looking to add to our boating options

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How do you guys think i got the rudder out of the water!

Its the accidental jibes that will mess with you.
Never ever have an accidental jibe! You can be badly hurt and break expensive stuff. Even controlled jibes in high wind should be avoided whenever possible. Just track around the long way. If you do need to jibe, have someone crank in the main as fast as possible durnig the jibe so it doesn't go the full distance gathering speed. I took a boom to the top of my head when an idiot Skipper want paying attention on the down wind leg. I never sailed with him again. He didn't even give a warning.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Took the Beneteau out today on our maiden voyage with her, under motor, sails not on board, main being set up and 135 Genoa being made at Vermont Sailing Partners, a local sail loft. We both had the chance to test the response of the throttle in forward/reverse and how the 2 blade folding prop responds. Left handed prop. so there is prop walk where the stern kicks to starboard under reverse. The feathering 3-blade should reduce it. A couple of pics. from today.
20180609_143449.jpg
And the captain at the helm.
20180609_143057.jpg need a new bimini frame, this one is too short.

Last edited:

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks fun! Sailboats never back up great. Some say it's like pushing a chain, but i never had much trouble with it . The momentum is the tricky part. You have it in forward, but your still going reverse for 30 seconds! I wouldn't bother switching the prop.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Brought the Beneteau up the lake today. Pushed off at 7:30am, practiced a "standing turn", a technique to turn/pivot the boat in its own length, using short bursts of forward/reverse under left full rudder, with the help of a "no-wake" buoy for reference and headed up the lake with Capt. Doug.
20180615_080544.jpg
Weather was 57°, constant drizzle, winds 15kts out of NW for the first few hrs. Passed over some of the deepest water on the lake, said to be about 400' at about 6kts. GPS, boat has a paddlewheel speedometer.
20180615_102729.jpg
Around the 4th. hr. sun burned through, the winds calmed and it warmed up some. 20180615_111418.jpg On the approach to Malletts Bay, Willow and Doug set up the dock lines.
20180615_124228.jpg
On the outer dock, we dropped off the dinghy, then drove into the slip area and backed her into the slip like I had done it a 100 times before. Ya I know...beginners luck. I will take it. I was and still am pretty stoked. A few more pics. It is amazing how small a 35' boat can look next to a 41' Hunter and a 34' Catamaran.
20180615_140218.jpg
20180615_145535.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Much easier to work on the Beneteau now that it is 20 mins. away and a couple hundred feet from the Yamaha. Willow worked on cleaning the cockpit and teak today, now that we have access to pressurized water. A couple of pics of one from the other. They are slipped in different marinas. First the Yamaha from the Beneteau, ya I do see Orange over there.
20180617_113055.jpg
And then the Bene from the Yamaha.
20180617_201745.jpg
That is our dinghy, in front.
After the work, we played on the Yamaha. Took an accidental selfie on the way to the beach.
20180617_165614.jpg

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Replacing this old, original non working battery charger with this new ProMariner ProSport 20 plus, 3 bank charger. I really hate to see this type of mod., on the old charger, that had been tripping its breaker shortly after turning it on.:mad: Notice in the lower left there are supposed to be (3) 50a anl fuses, only (2) visible and a galvanized slug. Unbelievable that a PO would try to fix like this. The new charger is not that expensive and will help the 100w solar panel keep the (2) house and (1) start battery at full charge. Important to keep the frig. cold for boat drinks this time of year.
The old charger (cover removed)
20180630_184516.jpg
Lower left of pic. Slug is middle of the 3 fuses.

And the new charger...installing now. This one has a few more amps. of output and some useful charging features.
20180626_150446.jpg
Pretty straight forward install.

FYI, the dog bone in the picture is just propping it up.;)

Last edited:

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Battery charger installed and working great. After I noticed during the install the the two house batteries were 6v wired in series for 12v. Had to swap out for 12v deep cycle AGM group 24. Now it maintains the batteries at +13vdc. Love the cold beer and ice cubes in the freezer.
20180703_180425.jpg
Old 6v batteries
20180706_162222.jpg

Still working on the exact placement of the windlass, anchor locker is pretty tight. Measuring 5 or 6 times, at least, drilling (2) 3" holes only once. Custom Anchor roller has passed final design, putting it out for bid.
20180708_153515.jpg
Anchor roller for 22#Delta
20180710_152039.jpg
More electronics arrived. Decided to go with Raymarine. The EV-100 wheel auto pilot, the I60 wind instruments and the Axiom 9RV chartplotter are here. Still waiting on the Navpod to house the (3) instruments and a new binnacle guard, 1 1/4" dia. Replaces the existing 1" , to mount the Navpod at the belm and the RV sonar transducer.
20180710_152120.jpg
20180710_152149.jpg
20180710_152007.jpg And Willow wanted to add this to the list. She said "so you can watch games while we are hanging out" she did not have to twist my arm. I am sure more movies will be watched versus games. https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Majestic-22-Led-Full-Hd-12v-Tv-W-Built-In-Globa-p/majled222gs.htm
These mods. will take a while to complete as we will have to coordinate a short haul and a man lift to install both transducers.

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@zipper - It looks like you're building one very beautiful and well built/maintained/ customized vessel.

Power boating is great for family life and water sports but I'm a sailor at heart. I can't thank you enough for the opportunity that you provide myself, and I'm sure plenty others, to live vicariously through your build and sailing adventures.

Thank you sir! Wishing you and yours safe travel.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bennie Wow, thank you for your comments. It means a lot to me. I got pretty pissed when someone with 13 posts disliked the first post on this thread, from last Sept., a few weeks ago. Made me think hard about further posts on this thread and others. Then I considered the source of the rating and I made the decision to stay on the forum and keep posting. Reading your post made me feel like I made the right decision. Thanks again. We love our Yamaha and we a!so sail. The Beneteau has been a labor of love, well mostly labor, but we enjoy restoring/modding our older boats to bring out the best in them. So live vicariously, I welcome it. We all do that to some extent on this forum. My water sports consist of paddle boarding. I envy those who surf or wake board.
Because of your words, I consider you "Ohana", a word taken from my wife's Hawaiian heritage. Mahalo

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
dislike; maybe he was going for the envious icon and fat fingered it,optimistic :winkingthumbsup"

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I hope you keep writing, too! Very unfortunate whoever dissed you. Living vicariously here through you. Don't have half the skill it would require to sail, so I find your every step with this boat fascinating! Your pictures and writeups are perfect--not too many and not too few. I very much enjoy each post.

So, thank you for that.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you sir, and I'm very happy to be part of your sailing "family" and a reason for you to continue to share on this forum.

The Beneteau has been a labor of love
This was always my favorite part of sailboats. I do work and mods on our Yamaha but it's just not the same bonding experience as doing work on a sailboat.

There's just something about hearing the rigging slap against the mast and smelling the teak oil.... ahhh, memories.

Thank for continuing to share!

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@zipper, glad you found your boat and I remember reading about your hunt. Beneteau looks to be a great find! I can't wait to hear about your continued voyages. Vermont has to be great sailing on the lake. Congratulations to you and your mate!

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bennie Wow, thank you for your comments. It means a lot to me. I got pretty pissed when someone with 13 posts disliked the first post on this thread, from last Sept., a few weeks ago. Made me think hard about further posts on this thread and others. Then I considered the source of the rating and I made the decision to stay on the forum and keep posting. Reading your post made me feel like I made the right decision. Thanks again. We love our Yamaha and we a!so sail. The Beneteau has been a labor of love, well mostly labor, but we enjoy restoring/modding our older boats to bring out the best in them. So live vicariously, I welcome it. We all do that to some extent on this forum. My water sports consist of paddle boarding. I envy those who surf or wake board.
Because of your words, I consider you "Ohana", a word taken from my wife's Hawaiian heritage. Mahalo
Forget that dude. I don't know a lick about sailing, but it intrigues me. Keep posting!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Not much wind lately, so that has been good conditions for going to the beach with the Yamaha. Forcast today was high 80's and WNW winds @7mph, gusts to 13. Perfect conditions for the maiden sailing voyage on the Beneteau SV Panana. It has been 10 mos. since we started looking for a sailboat and a lot of work since the purchase in May. Today started out with winds less than 5 and variable. We were searching for wind and tacking a lot at a max speed of 3-4kts. Once we got out of the shifting winds in Malletts Bay and out into the lake, the wind picked up and was more consistant in direction. It ended up being a beautiful day. We made 7kts. in a 10kt. wind, had the boat heeled over 20° so sitting on the combing was very comfortable. We took Capt Doug with us again. He was very impressed with the speed and performance. We was smiling and even gave a couple of "hoots" during the trip. It was a lot of fun "blowing by" other sailboats as we tacked our way out of the Bay and jibed our way back in. I had a blast and took in all the lessons he gave us. It only cost me a case of beer for his time. Priceless! Now that I know we can sail her, a big weight off our shoulders, I can start the mods on the nav. Instruments. Here are a few pics. from today.
20180715_115854.jpg
20180715_115730.jpg
20180715_134009.jpg
20180715_144750.jpg
20180715_115927.jpg
And a few seconds of video

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the maiden sail on her! Looks marvelous. Heavenly. And I love the lines... Don't ask me why--I just find them fascinating how they are all routed and colored and... yeah. Nice.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
What gives @zipper?

There's wrinkles in those sheets!
Tighten your lines and let's get that leeward side in the water. :winkingthumbsup"

Looks amazing and I'm jealous as hell. Congrats on the successful maiden voyage. Thank you for posting!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
What gives @zipper?

There's wrinkles in those sheets!
Tighten your lines and let's get that leeward side in the water. :winkingthumbsup"

Looks amazing and I'm jealous as hell. Congrats on the successful maiden voyage. Thank you for posting!
Yes I agree, the genoa is new and still pretty stiff. The sunbrella UV cover, the navy blue strip on the leach and foot, is very stiff and I need to hank on the halyard a little more. We noticed that today...good eye.o_O
Edit: Willow was nervous at a 20° list, so putting the toe rail under water will have to wait a bit.

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Beautiful boat! I'm so happy and envious of ya'll. I'm glad that ya'll found what you were looking for in a solid boat. I would love to have a sailboat, but it's just not our boating style right now. Maybe when we retire, or if gas becomes too expensive.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After measuring and adjusting the angle a dozen times, I felt comfortable drilling some holes in the boat, well the shelf in the anchor locker anyway, to mount the head of the windlass and the motor below. The wooden block that the windlass is mounted to had to be pitched opposite of the shelf pitch in order to obtain a correct angle to the anchor roller/fairlead on the bow. The wood I chose was not some exotic from Brazil, but Black Locust from down the road, a hardwood known for its high rot resistance that I cut on my Woodmizer and air dried for 2 years.
20180720_184653.jpg
Drilled (4) 3/8" and (2) 3" holes, sealed the raw edges with epoxy, laid out some 4200 around the holes as well as the perimeter of the wood block and put the windlass in place.
20180720_193812.jpg
The hard part was working upside down to attach the 20# motor to the bottom of the windlass and clamping them together.
Until I got it all together, I was apprehensive about the clearance for the motor, but "measure 12 times, drill once" pays dividends as I ended up with a 1/2" of clearance between the motor and locker bulkhead.
20180720_193840.jpg
Backing plate and mounting screws not shown. The tight spot of concern was the back edge of the gear box, directly below the windlass and its proximity to the angled locker bulkhead.

Now I can run the 4ga. wiring and install the up/dn switch and 90a bkr.