• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What’s in your tool box on your boat?

Hergy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
I was just wondering if anyone had some tool they found essential to having on their boat.

I was just wondering if anyone had some tool they found essential to having on their boat.

For sure a hook bladed knife to remove stuff off of the impeller shaft…

Do a search and you will find some folks have a very well thought out set of tools and spares on their boats.

I bought a Yamaha to stop worrying about that!

I boat on smaller inland lakes so I only carry a multi tool knife, a couple screwdrivers, allen wrench set and a small but fairly wide ranging socket set.

If I’ve made a recent repair or adjustment like steering then I’ll carry whatever extra tools I need for that the first time or two after until I know it’s dialed in.

Pinch pliers if you have to be towed, extra oil, spark plugs, fuses, stuff for wiring repairs. Sockets, wrenches, etc. I admit my tool box is over the top. I'm a retired mechanic so I try to be prepared. MULTIMETER

8-17mm wrenches and sockets, pliers, Phillips and regular screw drivers, electrical tape, spare fuses, wire butt connectors, side cutters, hose clamps, large and small crescent wrenches, hook knife, pocket knife, duct tape, etc…. and keep it all in a soft case tool box.

Oh…..and spark plugs

I carried a couple of tool kits on the Yamaha. This one from Kobalt https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-91-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/5004892419. Now on the sailboat I only bring it aboard if I need it. But I do carry an assortment of tools for making repairs if necessary. I carry a Dewalt 20v drill on board to raise the Mainsail with the drill and winch bit. 20210619_090846_002.jpg

The West Marine tool kit is useful and overpriced...

20210621_151340.jpg

Drill bits etc.

20210621_151440.jpg

And a few fasteners, cable ties, electrical splices, etc.

20210621_151333.jpg

Hey, you never know when you will just start drilling big holes in your boat. lol

20200814_184000.jpg

No, I do not carry large hole saws on board.

20200816_190411.jpg

Pinch pliers if you have to be towed, extra oil, spark plugs, fuses, stuff for wiring repairs. Sockets, wrenches, etc. I admit my tool box is over the top. I'm a retired mechanic so I try to be prepared. MULTIMETER
Totally agree. I have all these things! I have a small fabric bag that I manage to shoehorn all this into. Fortunately I rarely need it.

Two additions I'd suggest:
  • Waterproof flashlight/headlamp
  • Tool tether

I have a full toolkit. I had one for years and years and it finally had some rust from being in damp environment. I just replaced it with this one. Sits nice and flat and doesn't take up any room. Believe me, a full and complete toolkit comes in handy. I also keep an extendable utility knife, an electrical connector set and a few pieces of wire, extra navigation light bulb, an entire navigation light assembly, the original anchor light pole (even though I've added an integrated one on top of tower). My navigation light quit working the other night and I did manage rigging something to work, but I didn't want to be in that position again, so I'm just keeping a bulb and a new assembly on hand.

Totally agree. I have all these things! I have a small fabric bag that I manage to shoehorn all this into. Fortunately I rarely need it.

Two additions I'd suggest:
  • Waterproof flashlight/headlamp
  • Tool tether

X2 on the tool tether. Don’t want to drop the drill in the water.
I also use that green flecked line to carry it around the woods during tapping too.

20210726_120343.jpg

Drill and winch bit to raise the mainsail from the cockpit with very little effort.

Last edited:
Back