• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What size to get for a jiggle shaker siphon hose?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
@RobbieO won't fit in my 195s, VP can is 20" tall.
Okay, thanks for checking. I got the idea from @swatski. I ordered the jugs and some vents to install. I don't plan on pouring, just pumping in.

Attachments

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Okay, thanks for checking. I got the idea from @swatski. I ordered the jugs and some vents to install. I don't plan on pouring, just pumping in.
I would contemplate some way to evacuate the fumes, same principle as your blower motor for the engine bay. Those cans may not leak fumes a lot, but they WILL leak some. Perhaps even tap into the current blower motor circuit for the switch, and move any fumes back to the engine bay where they'd be evacuated out the back of the boat. DEFINITELY no smoking on board!

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I would contemplate some way to evacuate the fumes, same principle as your blower motor for the engine bay. Those cans may not leak fumes a lot, but they WILL leak some. Perhaps even tap into the current blower motor circuit for the switch, and move any fumes back to the engine bay where they'd be evacuated out the back of the boat. DEFINITELY no smoking on board!
I will only be transporting them in the boat on the trailer. Once I reach my destination, I will be removing them. Don’t want to transport in my SUV until I get my truck. Would of had a truck by now if the dealers weren’t marking them up 10k. Thank you for the safety advice. Good looking out. Thank you

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was thinking and planning for some longer river trips, back when we lived in STL, MO, there are stretches of Mississippi when there are no services for hundreds of miles, I considered using a fuel bladder in the ski locker, where we can fit ~80% full 800 lbs ballast bag for wake surfing. I ended up not doing it once I figure out the 5gal jugs were just easier for an occasional use but a bladder would work very well with transfer pump, and not super expensive either.

As far as the fumes, for me the key thing that made it all work was to check (and fix or triage) the jugs for potential leaks prior to using them in the boat. That compartment has no electrics or electronics requiring ignition protection. And let's keep in mind what sits directly aft of the ski locker... the next compartment holding... a 50gal poly fuel tank. Incidentally, unlike the ski locker, the fuel tank compartment has a lot of electric, steering cables, and there is a potential for chafing etc. And yes, partially filled poly tanks are permeable to gasoline vapors in a small degree...

As far as the temperatures, the content of the ski locker tends to stay cool in my experience, probably because of water cooling effects on the bottom of the boat, I have never seen that compartment get hot. The locker hatch is shaded from the sun by the bimini, and can be open to check for fumes and visually inspect contents anytime. I used this setup in MO during summers when it gets pretty hot... and the big rivers can get pretty nasty, too, which brings me to the last point.

I would say the memory foam sandwich trick (large pieces of memory foam mattress from Sam or Costo placed over, under, and in front of the jugs) is important - it helps to keep the jugs from bouncing or moving; empties go back in the locker, and the jugs are just tight enough in there so there needs to be no room for the jugs to bounce around at all.

Those are my 2 cents.
--

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I was thinking and planning for some longer river trips, back when we lived in STL, MO, there are stretches of Mississippi when there are no services for hundreds of miles, I considered using a fuel bladder in the ski locker, where we can fit ~80% full 800 lbs ballast bag for wake surfing. I ended up not doing it once I figure out the 5gal jugs were just easier for an occasional use but a bladder would work very well with transfer pump, and not super expensive either.

As far as the fumes, for me the key thing that made it all work was to check (and fix or triage) the jugs for potential leaks prior to using them in the boat. That compartment has no electrics or electronics requiring ignition protection. And let's keep in mind what sits directly aft of the ski locker... the next compartment holding... a 50gal poly fuel tank. Incidentally, unlike the ski locker, the fuel tank compartment has a lot of electric, steering cables, and there is a potential for chafing etc. And yes, partially filled poly tanks are permeable to gasoline vapors in a small degree...

As far as the temperatures, the content of the ski locker tends to stay cool in my experience, probably because of water cooling effects on the bottom of the boat, I have never seen that compartment get hot. The locker hatch is shaded from the sun by the bimini, and can be open to check for fumes and visually inspect contents anytime. I used this setup in MO during summers when it gets pretty hot... and the big rivers can get pretty nasty, too, which brings me to the last point.

I would say the memory foam sandwich trick (large pieces of memory foam mattress from Sam or Costo placed over, under, and in front of the jugs) is important - it helps to keep the jugs from bouncing or moving; empties go back in the locker, and the jugs are just tight enough in there so there needs to be no room for the jugs to bounce around at all.

Those are my 2 cents.
--
Thank you. Great advice about the memory foam. I plan on lining the ski locker with pig blankets as well.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Those are my 2 cents.
--
Did you add the vents? I’m thinking I don’t need them if I’m not pouring.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you add the vents? I’m thinking I don’t need them if I’m not pouring.
Yessir, I added the vents as I tend to transfer fuel by hoisting the jugs over the fuel filler port to manually refill.

But - I would NOT install the vents if planning on transferring fuel by a transfer pump.

With no vents or flexible hoses attached to the jugs, just the screw-on cap, there should be zero issues with leaks in storage.

--

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Yessir, I added the vents as I tend to transfer fuel by hoisting the jugs over the fuel filler port to manually refill.

But - I would NOT install the vents if planning on transferring fuel by a transfer pump.

With no vents or flexible hoses attached to the jugs, just the screw-on cap, there should be zero issues with leaks in storage.

--
Thank you that is my plan. I have a bad back and I don’t plan on pouring any gas. If the shaker hose doesn’t work out I’ll just buy one of those electric pumps it goes in there. Thanks again