• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you do... 2018 Yamaha 212x or 2021 Yamaha 212xe

jrod25

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Would love everyones option here. I have lost sleep on this decision and looking for help. I have the opportunity to buy a 2018 or 2021 Yamaha 212x.

2018 Yamaha 212x
30 hours
All surf/tubing equipment and boat cover
YES warranty still active until 2022
Price: $54K --with Taxes =$58K

or

New 2021 Yamaha 212xe
Price: $72K out the door (including cover, TTL, Frieght etc)

Putting it down on paper looks like to makes perfect sense saving 13-14K, but being a 1st owner and saying "I finally made it my first new vessel" is hard to pass up.
TIA

Attachments

• 212xe.jpg
    212xe.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Would love everyones option here. I have lost sleep on this decision and looking for help. I have the opportunity buy a 2018 or 2021 Yamaha 212x.

2018 Yamaha 212x
30 hours
All surf/tubing equipment and boat cover
YES warranty still active until 2022
Price: $54K --with Taxes =$58K

or

New 2021 Yamaha 212xe
Price: $72K out the door (including cover, TTL, Frieght etc)

Putting it down on paper looks like to makes perfect sense saving 13-14K, but being a 1st owner and saying "I finally made it my first new vessel" is hard to pass up.
TIA
That is my favorite color scheme Yamaha has ever come out with. Damn I love that boat, but 13-14k is a lot of money. If u can swing it I wouldn't be able to resist that boat...lol

That is my favorite color scheme Yamaha has ever come out with. Damn I love that boat, but 13-14k is a lot of money. If u can swing it I wouldn't be able to resist that boat...lol
Right! I'm worrying about the 2018 having issues as it's still new but the 2021 has the e-series,latest updates, and dam that color scheme. Lol just worrying if saving 13-14K is worth it. Also have to factor buying all the surf gear.

Right! I'm worrying about the 2018 having issues as it's still new but the 2021 has the e-series,latest updates, and dam that color scheme. Lol just worrying if saving 13-14K is worth it. Also have to factor buying all the surf gear.
What color is the '18?

Black/white and lime green wake tower.

Attachments

• 330609_20201007105114688_4_LARGE.jpg
    330609_20201007105114688_4_LARGE.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 76
It's easy to say "it's only $15k". I won't tell you how to spend your money, but to me the used boat, if in good shape, is the way to go. Let someone else take the massive depreciation loss.

Are you planning on doing a lot of wakeboarding and surfing? If so, the difference is more than 14k. Will cost you several thousand for the surf stuff I would guess.

Also, does the 2018 have any upgrades? Fins, stereo equipment, etc? I’ve probably got at least $2k invested in this stuff in my 2017 212x.

And 30 hours in 3 seasons is nothing. The used boat is almost new, unless there is any visible damage to it.

Lastly, and obviously this is purely personal taste, I would worry you’ll get tired of the lime green color as much as it looks cool today. As an example, I’ve got a 2021 C8 corvette on order. I love the orange color but eventually went with red mist because of exactly that concern.

Good luck. Don’t really think you can go wrong either way.

My bad, couldn’t sleep so looked on the Yamaha website and didn’t realize that the 212XE was in the Wake Series. So why would you need to buy surf gear?

I still think I would go with the 2018 if I were you but the gap isn’t as big as I first thought.

One more thought since I still can’t sleep - are you planning on wet slipping the boat? If so, the black hull will show the dirt/gunk from the water a lot less than the white hull. My 2017 is black and still looks in good shape at the end of the season whereas my old chaparral looks like crap because of its white hull even though I scrub it every year.

Have you seen the 2018 in person? Was it taken care of or just left in the sun or in the water? A lot of factors when it comes to used. I'm a fanatic about upkeep and care or was this owner fanatic or just went from season to season not taking care of it...How about maintenance records? Was it done by a Yamaha dealer or do it yourselfer? I'm a big proponet of new, cause not many I find take care of toys like a lot of us here on the forum do..If that doesn't bother you then save the money. Have you had a jet before? You might buy and not like the jet..Although these days of sellers market..you could purchase new and turn around a profit this summer when everyone is looking for a boat and none to be found..Good luck!

If good condition go used. The E has its perks but not 15k worth.

One more thought since I still can’t sleep - are you planning on wet slipping the boat? If so, the black hull will show the dirt/gunk from the water a lot less than the white hull. My 2017 is black and still looks in good shape at the end of the season whereas my old chaparral looks like crap because of its white hull even though I scrub it every year.
Thanks for the information. Both are wake series and yes you would need to buy the boards, wake booster etc which. Wake series is what I'm looking for a fun all around both. Great point on the hulls, I would be trailer it.

If good condition go used. The E has its perks but not 15k worth.
Base off the details and conversations with seller everything was done by dealership, stay in storage, with 30 hours seems more of a try it don't like it. Anyone know if the engine sounds level is different in the 21 model? Same engine...or tricks to add sound proofing. I had a 2009 tahoe Q5 before and a little worry about it since this is my first jet boat. Tough to test drive right now or wait to buy with the market. Taking the 2018 out this weekend.

A 2018 is going to be nearly identical. The 2021 brings the 12" screen and electronic throttles, maybe dock lights as well. Other than that I think they are identical.

30 hours seems like a great deal, but I challenge you to think of it this way: that boat has been rotting on a trailer or hoist for 2+ years now. Things that happens to boats when they sit: fiberglass water intrusion / gel coat bubbles / rodents and bugs / corrosion on engine & electrical components / rust on pieces that normally get dried out when running / grease issues / cracked hoses and plastic / brittle wires / corrupted trailer brakes, bearings, tires / worthless batteries / every bolt is probably seized or close to being seized when you go to do your own repairs.

In my opinion, a well maintained and often-used boat/bike/car/airplane/etc will always trump a low use "only driven on Sunday to church" vehicle, 100%. If that boat is 200-300 hours short of "where it should be," then you really want to look into how it was stored and maintained while it sat.

We put 100+ hours on our boat last season, and that was in the short boating season of Wisconsin. I would go new just for the piece of mind.

Last edited:
A 2018 is going to be nearly identical. The 2021 brings the 12" screen and electronic throttles, maybe dock lights as well. Other than that I think they are identical.

Different sound system and, if OP is planning on upgrading, it sounds like there's some bugs to work out in the 2021's still.

I would lean new as well. It doesn't look like there is a 2021 212X model, just the XD or XE? The savings isn't just ~14k for new vs. used. I would more phrase it like this: "You are saving 8k buying used" The other 6k is for XE options.

Paying for the XE features, which includes nice things like electronic push button start, throttle synch, single throttle operation capability. The Connext screen is bigger as well. Ditched the two gauges analog RPM gauges. Not sure without doing a ton of research, but possible power steering as well?

Honestly, the difference here is probably going to be all driving comforts for the Captain. To passengers, experience will be the same. So that would be the big question I would pose to you more than the new vs. old.

Excellent comments. Yes the XE would the be the option. As the Captain, I like your way of thinking here since I will be at the hem 95% of the time lol. Also I'm a single guy taking family and friends out. So when it's just me and girlfriend cruising I like that idea!

30 hours seems like a great deal, but I challenge you to think of it this way: that boat has been rotting on a trailer or hoist for 2+ years now. Things that happens to boats when they sit: fiberglass water intrusion / gel coat bubbles / rodents and bugs / corrosion on engine & electrical components / rust on pieces that normally get dried out when running / grease issues / cracked hoses and plastic / brittle wires / corrupted trailer brakes, bearings, tires / worthless batteries / every bolt is probably seized or close to being seized when you go to do your own repairs.

In my opinion, a well maintained and often-used boat/bike/car/airplane/etc will always trump a low use "only driven on Sunday to church" vehicle, 100%. If that boat is 200-300 hours short of "where it should be," then you really want to look into how it was stored and maintained while it sat.

We put 100+ hours on our boat last season, and that was in the short boating season of Wisconsin. I would go new just for the piece of mind.
I plan on getting a yamaha dealer pre-sale cert inspection done which checks everything out. This is the other side and I have thought about this. Why does a owner after 2 1/2 seasons only drive it 30 hours. Could be he's didn't use it that much or could be always in the shop. But that being said a new boat can also be in the shop lol. Leaning towards news. Starting to question the used price of $54 before taxes. I think it's a good deal but also wondering how the economy is going to react with gas prices raising. Will it scared off the avg buyer from looking at boats?

I plan on getting a yamaha dealer pre-sale cert inspection done which checks everything out. This is the other side and I have thought about this. Why does a owner after 2 1/2 seasons only drive it 30 hours. Could be he's didn't use it that much or could be always in the shop. But that being said a new boat can also be in the shop lol. Leaning towards news. Starting to question the used price of $54 before taxes. I think it's a good deal but also wondering how the economy is going to react with gas prices raising. Will it scared off the avg buyer from looking at boats?

I would say buy new - because when boat prices take a dump in 2-3 years, you'll at least have a 3 year old boat vs. a 6 year old boat to resell.

Back