• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What would you do... 2018 Yamaha 212x or 2021 Yamaha 212xe

If the 18 is clean and we maintained then it would be a good deal, yes only 30 hours is a little weird but I bought a 5 year old boat that only had 50 hours on it but was very well maintained and have had no issues. If its been well maintained then 18 is worth a look, used boats generally are a better value if you find the right one, take it for a test drive and see how you like it. You could save yourself a lot of cash for mods like RideSteady, wake booster, boards, stereo, ect. If money isn't an issue then go new and enjoy the crap out of it.

I plan on getting a yamaha dealer pre-sale cert inspection done which checks everything out. This is the other side and I have thought about this. Why does a owner after 2 1/2 seasons only drive it 30 hours. Could be he's didn't use it that much or could be always in the shop. But that being said a new boat can also be in the shop lol. Leaning towards news. Starting to question the used price of $54 before taxes. I think it's a good deal but also wondering how the economy is going to react with gas prices raising. Will it scared off the avg buyer from looking at boats?
My 18 only has 45 hours on it, maybe he's more of a floater like myself. I don't find that concerning at all, it's not like it's got 10 hours on it.

Would love everyones option here. I have lost sleep on this decision and looking for help. I have the opportunity to buy a 2018 or 2021 Yamaha 212x.
@jrod25 ..... excuse my ignorance of the "e" function - is that the "paddles" to control the engines. If so that might be the deal maker. On my 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser you could use the two '"triggers" (one per handlebar side) to walk the waverunner sideways onto a dock. It was awesome. Like the comments re-new. the 2018 has sat, you don't know how much the lack of use has affected it and you don't know how it was broken-in and treated during those early hours. the other comments from members re re-sale etc. are just more reason (IMO) to go new. :cool:

@jrod25 ..... excuse my ignorance of the "e" function - is that the "paddles" to control the engines. If so that might be the deal maker. On my 2018 Yamaha SVHO FX Cruiser you could use the two '"triggers" (one per handlebar side) to walk the waverunner sideways onto a dock. It was awesome. Like the comments re-new. the 2018 has sat, you don't know how much the lack of use has affected it and you don't know how it was broken-in and treated during those early hours. the other comments from members re re-sale etc. are just more reason (IMO) to go new. :cool:

That would be the "D" for drive. The E is just electronic throttle.

I would ask them about why the low hours. For example we go out a lot but do not put many hours on the boat. 10 minute ride to the sand bar. another 10 minutes to bar for food and drinks, I can go out 4 times in a month and put on less than 2 hours. At that rate I could go out every month for two years and only do 64 hours. Obviously every month isn't realistic. If the owners have a similar situation, 50 hours is normal and never really "sat".

I would say buy new - because when boat prices take a dump in 2-3 years, you'll at least have a 3 year old boat vs. a 6 year old boat to resell.
I was hoping to have it paid off at the 6 yr mark.

I was hoping to have it paid off at the 6 yr mark.

Paid of or not, your resale or trade-in between the two will be very different.

I plan on getting a yamaha dealer pre-sale cert inspection done which checks everything out. This is the other side and I have thought about this. Why does a owner after 2 1/2 seasons only drive it 30 hours. Could be he's didn't use it that much or could be always in the shop. But that being said a new boat can also be in the shop lol. Leaning towards news. Starting to question the used price of $54 before taxes. I think it's a good deal but also wondering how the economy is going to react with gas prices raising. Will it scared off the avg buyer from looking at boats?

I went through the same thought process with a used boat or new boat dilemma. I went with the new 2021 AR210. My previous boat was a sea doo and spent so much money fixing everything that was goin bad! I had a choice of a 2019 XE or 2021 AR210 , I went with the new one, even though it did not have the bigger engine I wanted. I want to know everything about my boat from day one. I have my kids and family on the boat all the time so I went with peace of mind. Murphys Law, whats going to happen will happen. I tried to slim the odds, Good Luck!

Are you planning on doing a lot of wakeboarding and surfing? If so, the difference is more than 14k. Will cost you several thousand for the surf stuff I would guess.

Also, does the 2018 have any upgrades? Fins, stereo equipment, etc? I’ve probably got at least $2k invested in this stuff in my 2017 212x.

And 30 hours in 3 seasons is nothing. The used boat is almost new, unless there is any visible damage to it.

Lastly, and obviously this is purely personal taste, I would worry you’ll get tired of the lime green color as much as it looks cool today. As an example, I’ve got a 2021 C8 corvette on order. I love the orange color but eventually went with red mist because of exactly that concern.

Good luck. Don’t really think you can go wrong either way.
Great points. I plan on using it for wakeboarding and surf, plus around cruising boat. Unfortunately its all stock no fins, ridesteady, perfect pass. The boards ,tube and ropes come with it. Basically a stock in great shape boat w 30 hours. So going with the new one I would add 2K for the toys. I was told the new ones don't need ridesteady because of the e series one controller feature.

Maybe the guy owns more than one boat and has to split his time on the water between multiple boats. That’s a tough first world problem to deal with during boating season. ? The struggle is real... ✊?

A 2018 with 30 hours isn’t going to be falling apart just from sitting or low use. I could see that being an issue for an older boat but low hour trailer queen boats like that aren’t out of the norm on here and other places. Just watch the Classifieds from time to time and you’ll see them. I’d take a test drive and go from there.

OP, how much wakeboarding and surfing do you plan to do? If it’s a high percentage I’d say you may want to skip on both of these boats and go with something else. If it’s a low or moderate percentage then having a jetboat modded for surfing is doable. Just know that with jet boats it’s not really a flip a switch and the boat sets itself up for watersports. You have to put some effort and commitment into surfing on these boats and sometimes the effort required setting up the boat overcomes the fun factor. Jet boats are kind of like a jack of trades master of mine kind of boat. They are great for a lot of things and other things on the boat take more effort than you may like. Not trying to scare you aware from a jet boat or anything but rather being honest it takes a few grand minimum and a good bit of work every time you want to surf.

Last edited:
I plan to use it for both fresh and saltwater. Why I'm leaning towards a jet boat vs wakesurf boat. Surfing setup and adding ballasts is no issue. All adults and my boys are college age. Saving money is great but I know all boats come w extra cost and work lol. I'm just debating is it worth spending 13-14K to have my own new toy, know everything about it, latest tech, and pick my own setup. TBH is was even looking at the XD but 80K is getting up there for a 21ft jet boat. Lol the 2018 is a solid deal..but jumping in to either and I end up not loving it seems like the deception value isn't that much of a difference since a 2018 sale for 58.5K new. Have to pay TTL on new or used regardless

Buy them both and sell the ‘18 for the price of the new one when everyone decides they want a boat in two months.

Maybe the guy owns more than one boat and has to split his time on the water between multiple boats. That’s a tough first world problem to deal with during boating season. ? The struggle is real... ✊?
this is true cause these yamis arent exactly a fishing boats ?

They are both the same hull, you might get the new hull in 2022 and new models are about to come out i would wait, if your thing is tubing just get a 250 or 252, if its surfing or wake boarding the i gues the x model

I plan to use it for both fresh and saltwater. Why I'm leaning towards a jet boat vs wakesurf boat. Surfing setup and adding ballasts is no issue. All adults and my boys are college age. Saving money is great but I know all boats come w extra cost and work lol. I'm just debating is it worth spending 13-14K to have my own new toy, know everything about it, latest tech, and pick my own setup. TBH is was even looking at the XD but 80K is getting up there for a 21ft jet boat. Lol the 2018 is a solid deal..but jumping in to either and I end up not loving it seems like the deception value isn't that much of a difference since a 2018 sale for 58.5K new. Have to pay TTL on new or used regardless

Choice is easy then. You’ll want a jet for salt use compared to vdrive even though they do offer some salt water versions. Jetboat is self bailing and you never know weather on in the oceans and gulf.

Buy them both and sell the ‘18 for the price of the new one when everyone decides they want a boat in two months.
I'm in Texas
this is true cause these yamis arent exactly a fishing boats ?
We
They are both the same hull, you might get the new hull in 2022 and new models are about to come out i would wait, if your thing is tubing just get a 250 or 252, if its surfing or wake boarding the i gues the x model
Yes it will have to be a 212x. Hoping everything works out the 2018 and when I'm ready to move up to the 255 the design will only get better. ?

Choice is easy then. You’ll want a jet for salt use compared to vdrive even though they do offer some salt water versions. Jetboat is self bailing and you never know weather on in the oceans and gulf.
It has been jet boat from the start. I was just explaining why. I will hit the saltwater at least 2 weeks a year but always good to have the ability.

So I have deposit on a 2021 AR210 but have the opportunity for a 2018 AR240 at the same cost as the new boat. What’s everyone’s thoughts on what I should do? Not sure if this was the right spot for this post. Thanks for all the input. Used boat has 60 hours on it.

So I have deposit on a 2021 AR210 but have the opportunity for a 2018 AR240 at the same cost as the new boat. What’s everyone’s thoughts on what I should do? Not sure if this was the right spot for this post. Thanks for all the input. Used boat has 60 hours on it.
I think you're down to capacity now if cost is the same. Our 21' can fit about 7 people comfortably, anything less is a bonus in room. If you need more storage or people capacity, go with the bigger boat.

Back