• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What's your favorite Bourbon?

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been learning the many different ways to make the old fashion. My go to bourbon happens to be Rabbit Hole Boxergrail rye whiskey 95 proof. I have also been using different bitters and combinations there of. For a sweeter taste I have substituted bourbon for cognac. For glassware I purchased a thicker 5oz rocks glass in order to keep drinks cooler. I’ll have to look for the dareringer. I’ll keep you posted.
With that cognac, you're practically a Wisconsinite. Ordering a brandy old fashioned anywhere outside of Wisconsin will identify you as being from Wisconsin, to a savvy and knowledgeable bartender.

If you can find them in your area, Fee Brothers makes a great selection of bitters. Since trying the orange bitters that you show in your pic, I've preferred that over "regular" bitters. Since you seem headed down that road eventually, I suspect you'll find a few recipes for making your own bitters as well, and from the different DIY's I've gotten from friends, I can say that making your own doesn't seem all that hard to produce a high quality batch of bitters.

Since I am a diabetic, I'm not a fan of brandy/cognac/rum due to the hangovers from the sugar, and I've had to cut way back on the bar-made old fashioned's for the same reason, but I've come across a great way to DIY my own premade "diabetic" old fashioned mix that's gotten some great reviews from others. I was able to track down the video in case anyone is interested - this guy is a hoot when he's gotten a bit too deep into the sampling of many of his final products!

Last edited:

Robconn

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Funny that you mentioned Wisconsin. That was one of my favorite variations to the old fashion. Basically muddling a maraschino cherry and a wedge of orange along with a sugar cube, and a few dashes of peychaud’s bitters then add crushed ice and cognac. I’ll be sure to study the vids you posted. I appreciate the feedback and knowledge you offered.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny that you mentioned Wisconsin. That was one of my favorite variations to the old fashion. Basically muddling a maraschino cherry and a wedge of orange along with a sugar cube, and a few dashes of peychaud’s bitters then add crushed ice and cognac. I’ll be sure to study the vids you posted. I appreciate the feedback and knowledge you offered.
The "diabetic" version I make is the same as he presents, and simply swapping out the simple syrup for a "diet" version that anyone can make, or buy a premade bottle of sugar-free wherever you can find it. It travels well, and not a single person has told me that it's got a weird taste. They may not be a fan of the amount of booze in it, but that's for each individual taste, and you can always fiddle with the mixer of choice and add more sour/sweet/press to your drink. I can say that it doesn't take much of the premix to make a cocktail, so you end up using more sour mix (my choice) or whatever your mixer, than you normally would.

We've started to get "fancy" and add the Costco version of Luxardo cherries, and I've also had a few made with cherry bitters, which was quite nice as well.