• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Where would you dock?

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey everyone I am trying to figure out the most efficient way to dock my boat during the retrieving process. Im new at this and suck ass at docking. My ramp doesn't have a courtesy dock and i have no one to back my truck/trailer into the water to retrieve. I am solo. Here is a picture of my boat ramp. I was thinking maybe docking on the sides so I don't block the ramp but I'm not sure if I have enough room (24 footer)..also my fenders don't do anything for this kind of dock. What do you guys think?

Attachments

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My personal opinion. You can easily ultilize the right side (from the picture) as the courtesy dock. No need for fenders, as the piling spacing would easily ride on the rub rail itself. Doesn't look like a high traffic area with open water and minimal wake. Dock and retrieve your vehicle. I have certainly seen way worse and I would personally love to launch and retrieve at this site solo. Easy, no stress. You got this man!

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
IMHO,

I would dock on the outside piles, out of the ramp lane, putting the bow towards shore, that way you do not block the ramp while you are parking your rig and when you are walking to get your rig. This goes for launching as well as retrieving your boat.

Then put your trailer close enough to the dock so that stepping out of the boat and onto the dock and visa versa is as easy as possible.

You can split your throttles to make pivots around the dock, it takes a bit of practice, just go slow, idle only.

Your rub rail should handle the piles no problem, again go slow.

Depending on wind and current you may have to alter your approach, always maneuver into the wind or current. This gives you the most control. If you allow the wind or current to make your approach and you are trying get the timing right to get on the trailer and you miss now you are going to be fighting the wind / current to get out of that situation.

This takes time and practice to get it right. Use differential thrust by splitting the throttles but ! Be sure the steering wheel is centered when splitting the throttles. If using both engines in the same direction then use the steering.

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMHO,

I would dock on the outside piles, out of the ramp lane, putting the bow towards shore, that way you do not block the ramp while you are parking your rig and when you are walking to get your rig. This goes for launching as well as retrieving your boat.

Then put your trailer close enough to the dock so that stepping out of the boat and onto the dock and visa versa is as easy as possible.

You can split your throttles to make pivots around the dock, it takes a bit of practice, just go slow, idle only.

Your rub rail should handle the piles no problem, again go slow.

Depending on wind and current you may have to alter your approach, always maneuver into the wind or current. This gives you the most control. If you allow the wind or current to make your approach and you are trying get the timing right to get on the trailer and you miss now you are going to be fighting the wind / current to get out of that situation.

This takes time and practice to get it right. Use differential thrust by splitting the throttles but ! Be sure the steering wheel is centered when splitting the throttles. If using both engines in the same direction then use the steering.
So when I approach the dock I want to be going against the current and the wind? I’ve been doing this wrong the whole time lol

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So when I approach the dock I want to be going against the current and the wind? I’ve been doing this wrong the whole time lol
This is the way I was taught by an old salt. He told me, “always fight your enemy”. He would also have go over to empty slips and practice putting the boat into the slip over and over, also we would find a buoy and I would walk the boat around buoy, and I still do those things. Since you’re going out by yourself you can practice as much as you want.

Our boats don’t have any keel to speak of, so a gust of wind can push you sideways really easy, so practice in the wind when you get the chance. The wind is usually my biggest problem when docking or putting the boat on the trailer. In high winds I’ve found that splitting the throttles is ineffective so I use both throttles together and the steering wheel then.

FSHER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
When I started boating, i took my first boat to an empty parking lot and practiced. I really thought about what the wheel was doing and how the trailer reacted. I still have a tendency to put my hand at the bottom of the wheel if I get twisted. If you don't know that trick, when backing a trailer, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and whatever direction you move your hand, that's the direction the trailer will move.

That being said, a lot of people like FSH 210 Sport like to maneuver into the wind and current for better control but for me when I was new I liked having the wind at my back pushing me into the dock. you might be using the throttle a little more, going in and out of "gear" and maybe bumping reverse at times. but if your approach is off than the worst that can happen is the wind will push you into the dock, eventually. If your fighting the wind and current and you miss the approach, you might get pushed into another boater or dock or the shore or you'll have to back out and completely start over.

I like to approach at around a 45 degree angle (depending on conditions) and swing the stern to the dock when the bow is maybe 6 feet away. this is much easier when you learn to split the throttles and much more fun. when it works right you'll look like a pro, if that matters.

Always, if possible try to keep the ramp clear if you can, regardless of who is or isn't around. One of my first times out solo, a long time ago I went to a single lane ramp that did have a courtesy type dock but I choose to dock in the lane because nobody was around. As I was getting the truck I see a boat being towed in that was sinking, they needed to beach the boat on the ramp to stop the water from getting in. so now I'm scrambling to get out of the way so this dude doesn't lose his boat while the tow boat is yelling at me and everyone's stressed and pissed so stay out of the lane if possible.

For this particular dock and if it was me solo I would pull up to either the far left or the far right outsides depending on the wind and again if it was me, I would have the wind at my back pushing the boat into the dock. You might have to drive past the dock and loop around. this would also allow you to line up the trailer to either side of the lane. so if your new to backing up trailers and you're shooting for the left side but end up in the right side, its ok. when the trailer is in and if its allowed at the ramp jump back in the boat and motor it onto the trailer, run up to the bow, attached the chain and straps, jump down on the tongue of the trailer and tighten the strap, jump in the truck and get out of there.

If your worried about the fenders not working out, check out JetBoatPilot.com. They have flat foam type fenders that you can attached to each other and place them on the side of the boat where the pylons are or you can wrap them around the pylons as well.

another tip would be to load and prep your boat far away from the ramp and be the grow up if tensions get high people have lost their minds, especially on a busy day at the ramp. a couple months ago I saw a guy pull out a gun on someone because it was his turn to launch.

I apologize for the long post and information that you likely already know, currently waiting for a meeting to start.

good luck

-Mark

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So
When I started boating, i took my first boat to an empty parking lot and practiced. I really thought about what the wheel was doing and how the trailer reacted. I still have a tendency to put my hand at the bottom of the wheel if I get twisted. If you don't know that trick, when backing a trailer, put your hand on the bottom of the steering wheel and whatever direction you move your hand, that's the direction the trailer will move.

That being said, a lot of people like FSH 210 Sport like to maneuver into the wind and current for better control but for me when I was new I liked having the wind at my back pushing me into the dock. you might be using the throttle a little more, going in and out of "gear" and maybe bumping reverse at times. but if your approach is off than the worst that can happen is the wind will push you into the dock, eventually. If your fighting the wind and current and you miss the approach, you might get pushed into another boater or dock or the shore or you'll have to back out and completely start over.

I like to approach at around a 45 degree angle (depending on conditions) and swing the stern to the dock when the bow is maybe 6 feet away. this is much easier when you learn to split the throttles and much more fun. when it works right you'll look like a pro, if that matters.

Always, if possible try to keep the ramp clear if you can, regardless of who is or isn't around. One of my first times out solo, a long time ago I went to a single lane ramp that did have a courtesy type dock but I choose to dock in the lane because nobody was around. As I was getting the truck I see a boat being towed in that was sinking, they needed to beach the boat on the ramp to stop the water from getting in. so now I'm scrambling to get out of the way so this dude doesn't lose his boat while the tow boat is yelling at me and everyone's stressed and pissed so stay out of the lane if possible.

For this particular dock and if it was me solo I would pull up to either the far left or the far right outsides depending on the wind and again if it was me, I would have the wind at my back pushing the boat into the dock. You might have to drive past the dock and loop around. this would also allow you to line up the trailer to either side of the lane. so if your new to backing up trailers and you're shooting for the left side but end up in the right side, its ok. when the trailer is in and if its allowed at the ramp jump back in the boat and motor it onto the trailer, run up to the bow, attached the chain and straps, jump down on the tongue of the trailer and tighten the strap, jump in the truck and get out of there.

If your worried about the fenders not working out, check out JetBoatPilot.com. They have flat foam type fenders that you can attached to each other and place them on the side of the boat where the pylons are or you can wrap them around the pylons as well.

another tip would be to load and prep your boat far away from the ramp and be the grow up if tensions get high people have lost their minds, especially on a busy day at the ramp. a couple months ago I saw a guy pull out a gun on someone because it was his turn to launch.

I apologize for the long post and information that you likely already know, currently waiting for a meeting to start.

good luck

-Mark
So to swing the stern while splitting the throttles coming in at a 45 I would have one throttle in forward gear and the other in reverse? I assume I would be turning the wheel at this point towards the dock correct?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So

So to swing the stern while splitting the throttles coming in at a 45 I would have one throttle in forward gear and the other in reverse? I assume I would be turning the wheel at this point towards the dock correct?
No. Do not take the wheel out of the centered position when splitting throttles.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
“If your fighting the wind and current and you miss the approach, you might get pushed into another boater or dock or the shore or you'll have to back out and completely start over”.

NO.

The whole purpose of going into the wind or current is to keep you from getting pushed into another boat, the dock or the shore. If you miss the approach then you back off on thrust and the wind / current will push you back the way you came.

If the wind / current is behind you, it’s this way sometimes, then you are using reverse thrust to hold the boat at bay as you make your approach, there is not nearly the control authority in reverse as forward, know how to quickly access the no wake mode button to override the rpm limit in reverse to get more thrust if making an approach where you are having to use reverse thrust. Again practice using reverse, if you move the wheel right while in reverse it will pull the stern to the right.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Split-throttle steering is one of the absolute best tools you've got (other than patience). I spent a lot of time spinning the wheel while splitting the throttles, ignoring @FSH 210 Sport advice. Finally tried it coming into my lift with some tricky winds, concentrating so hard on the throttles that I didn't have time for the wheel, and found his technique to be MUCH more effective, and easier to manage. Now I'll go out on windy days that would have kept us off the boat, because I can put it back on the lift bunks with much more accuracy and control. Practice out in open water, around a bouy or something. Some people throw a fender in the water and do circles around it.

With wind, once in a while you can pull parallel to a dock and let a steady wind settle you right into place. But a more aggressive or shifting wind is easier to manage if you're heading into it. I think every safety course teaches that, for good reasons.

FSHER

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
"“If your fighting the wind and current and you miss the approach, you might get pushed into another boater or dock or the shore or you'll have to back out and completely start over”.

NO. "

hear me out.

I'm speaking from my own personal experience and the local ramps that I frequent. Each dock and ramp is subject to is own conditions and situations that you'll eventually learn.

When I was learning to boat, I was 99% of the time alone and handling the approach, dock lines, other boaters, wind, current and everything else was overwhelming at times and still is. I also don't think were talking about 30mph winds with 70mph gusts. lets say for the purpose of a new boater they are likely not going out in anything much higher than 15mph wings(?).

Yes the common approach that is standard when docking is to go against the wind as you will likely have better control. but this only works if you're following all the other procedures leading up to docking.

docking with the wind at your back will get you on the dock one way or another and when I'm solo, that is all I care about in the moment and docking against the wind is going to be up to many more factors involved.

He is talking about going out as a new captain without a crew. is he gonna nail the approach 1st try fighting the wind? likely not as we all see captains with years and years of experience looking like they have no idea what they are doing every day in a slight breeze. there are tons of YouTube channels dedicated to people trying to maneuver in and out of docks and ramps and hundreds of videos of captains smashing into the wrong dock or getting blow into other boats and creating all kinds of issues because they are fighting the wind. I cannot assume that this guy, no offense, will be any better then what we all see in the real world. You've got twin jets, 2 throttles, fwd neutral and reverse and in my experience this is plenty enough for me to control my boat with the wind in any direction (within reason of course).

My crude drawing is more often than not the situations I face at my local ramps. If I take spots 1 or 2 I risk not hitting my mark and getting blow off the dock and shoved into the red or purple boat while I'm tripping over my lines, trying to turn the engines off and find my shoes. Also if I take 1 or 2 my approach and technique has to be more defined and fine tuned. if I take spot 3 I can have a much more sloppy approach and can come from either direction and the wind push me against the dock and give me more time to get the lines tied.

After I gained more experience and learned my boats better ill choose 1 or 2, mainly to keep the wind and current from slamming the boat into the dock wile I retrieve the truck.DOCKING.PNG

Lth101

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Split-throttle steering is one of the absolute best tools you've got (other than patience). I spent a lot of time spinning the wheel while splitting the throttles, ignoring @FSH 210 Sport advice. Finally tried it coming into my lift with some tricky winds, concentrating so hard on the throttles that I didn't have time for the wheel, and found his technique to be MUCH more effective, and easier to manage. Now I'll go out on windy days that would have kept us off the boat, because I can put it back on the lift bunks with much more accuracy and control. Practice out in open water, around a bouy or something. Some people throw a fender in the water and do circles around it.

With wind, once in a while you can pull parallel to a dock and let a steady wind settle you right into place. But a more aggressive or shifting wind is easier to manage if you're heading into it. I think every safety course teaches that, for good reasons.
I’m really new to this so I’m going to have to practice. As of right now I come in at a 45 degree angle and then put it in reverse and cut the wheel towards the dock to bring the rear end in. Everything to learn is kind of overwhelming lol. Tons of fun though.

Coult45

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
"“If your fighting the wind and current and you miss the approach, you might get pushed into another boater or dock or the shore or you'll have to back out and completely start over”.

NO. "

hear me out.

I'm speaking from my own personal experience and the local ramps that I frequent. Each dock and ramp is subject to is own conditions and situations that you'll eventually learn.

When I was learning to boat, I was 99% of the time alone and handling the approach, dock lines, other boaters, wind, current and everything else was overwhelming at times and still is. I also don't think were talking about 30mph winds with 70mph gusts. lets say for the purpose of a new boater they are likely not going out in anything much higher than 15mph wings(?).

Yes the common approach that is standard when docking is to go against the wind as you will likely have better control. but this only works if you're following all the other procedures leading up to docking.

docking with the wind at your back will get you on the dock one way or another and when I'm solo, that is all I care about in the moment and docking against the wind is going to be up to many more factors involved.

He is talking about going out as a new captain without a crew. is he gonna nail the approach 1st try fighting the wind? likely not as we all see captains with years and years of experience looking like they have no idea what they are doing every day in a slight breeze. there are tons of YouTube channels dedicated to people trying to maneuver in and out of docks and ramps and hundreds of videos of captains smashing into the wrong dock or getting blow into other boats and creating all kinds of issues because they are fighting the wind. I cannot assume that this guy, no offense, will be any better then what we all see in the real world. You've got twin jets, 2 throttles, fwd neutral and reverse and in my experience this is plenty enough for me to control my boat with the wind in any direction (within reason of course).

My crude drawing is more often than not the situations I face at my local ramps. If I take spots 1 or 2 I risk not hitting my mark and getting blow off the dock and shoved into the red or purple boat while I'm tripping over my lines, trying to turn the engines off and find my shoes. Also if I take 1 or 2 my approach and technique has to be more defined and fine tuned. if I take spot 3 I can have a much more sloppy approach and can come from either direction and the wind push me against the dock and give me more time to get the lines tied.

After I gained more experience and learned my boats better ill choose 1 or 2, mainly to keep the wind and current from slamming the boat into the dock wile I retrieve the truck.View attachment 222663
No argument from me. You're right...sometimes you use the wind, sometimes you fight the wind. As long as you think about it before you get in the middle of it, you can make it work.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also, if you want, you can still use a standard fender on a piling. You just run your line through the hole on both ends of the piling so that it holds horizontally.