• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Which fish finder fresh water lakes in Fl and shallow salt < 100 ft

Matt Wetzel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Struggling finding fish in my local lakes. Considering a fish finder but GAWD it is confusing. So I’m looking for feedback on a solid unit for less than $500.

Thanks in advance

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
You are right, you can go eight ways from Sunday on your selection.
I like my Humminbird Helix 7 DI GPS, mounted on a RAM ball so I can swing it around if I want. Right in the price point you mentioned.

JesseP

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I'm a complete newbie but I just bought a Simrad GO7, a lot of features for $600. Now just got to figure out which way I'm gonna mount the Transducer:banghead:

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Had a hummingbird helix in the last boat. Was a great unit. Installed a Garmin Striker in th FSH. Didn't get a chance to use it much before putting the boat up the winter.IMG_20170829_203339967.jpg

ClemsonTiger

REJECTED / BANNED
REJECTED / BANNED
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The MFD unit is less important than the ducer you decide to use. Most use the ducer supplied with the unit they purchase...and those are ok...but they are entry level and basic in function.

If your seriously going to be in 100ft or less of water you will want a high/lo frequency 50-200khz 500w-600w ducer. That is your basic entry level ducer and your basic entry level MFD units will supply 500-600w.

Regardless of what anyone says about how their transom mount ducer works perfectly, which I'm sure it does for them. A transom mount will never work (clarity of resolution and less interference) as well as a thru hull ducer will.

thefastz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
While its a bit more than your budget, I second the recommendation of @JesseP, I have a GO7 in my 210. Flushed mounted with the transducer on a spacer, secured to the rideplate with 3M VHB. Not sure how large of a lake you are on but the main reason I would say get at least a 7" is if you are in any kind of chop the smaller screen will be much more difficult to read.

Attachments

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
While its a bit more than your budget, I second the recommendation of @JesseP, I have a GO7 in my 210. Flushed mounted with the transducer on a spacer, secured to the rideplate with 3M VHB. Not sure how large of a lake you are on but the main reason I would say get at least a 7" is if you are in any kind of chop the smaller screen will be much more difficult to read.
What did you use for a spacer?