• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winterization and Removing the Gas

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I haven't been around much lately, we lost my mother and the Admiral's Father this year and took a couple of vacations to try and relax. Anyhow, only have taken the boat out once this year. Had treated gas in it from last summer, about 3/4 tank. Put fresh gas in it and ran it for about 4-5 hours doing water sports two months ago. Time for me to get it ready for the winter and I am debating on what to do with the gas that is in there. I would assume maybe 1/2 tank. I won't know exactly till I take the cover off and level it and start breaking down everything.

I purchased this the other day, but just tried and it doesn't make it to the tank far enough.

So I am debating on what to do. I could fill it and throw some Sta-bil in it, since I have a bunch in the garage. If I ran many tanks through it that is what I would have done, but I didn't burn a full tank this year.

Any suggestions?

Sorry for your family’s losses. That is a tough year.

Gas in there is getting old, I would want to get it out too.
Can you extend the hose for your siphon or it’s just too hard to get all the way down into the tank? You might be able to pull the floor up and get easier access right at the tank fittings. Is taking a day cruise and burning off a bunch not an option at this point?

the hose is 8' but it only goes in about 4 feet and stops. Burning it out in the lake is not an option. I thought about it a month or two ago, but alas it didn't work out.

Sorry for your losses. They're always hard.

Probably best to try and get it out but if I were you I might be tempted to use some Stabil and deal with it in the spring.

I have an old Chaparral stern drive that I've been working on this summer. Barely got any use over the last 2-3 years and the Stabil seems to keep the gas decent. I'm running on borrowed time now but I'll probably fill it up and then add the Stabil this year again.

If the gas is / was treated it should be good for two years, read the Sta Bil label to confirm. I know Star Tron states two years. I’d add fresh / treated to top it up before wintah. But you’ll need to burn it next season for sure.

Sorry to hear about the recent losses you’ve had too many over the past couple of years.

Yeah, I am thinking that is what I will do. When I hook it up to the Truck it will level out, if it is around half or lower, I will just put Stabil in fill to the top.

Will run it out April next year as soon as I can and burn all the gas. Then change oil and plugs.

What is the harm in not filling your tank over the winter ? My dealer says to fill it up.

What is the harm in not filling your tank over the winter ? My dealer says to fill it up.
Basically the vapor in the half full tank expands and contracts readily with ambient temperature changes and this causes the tank to “breathe” in and out, the out isn’t bad, but the in draws in air that has moisture in it. A full tank still does this but very minimally.

Makes sense! I guess there is no way around it? Last year some jerks siphoned my gas out while it was in storage.

Makes sense! I guess there is no way around it? Last year some jerks siphoned my gas out while it was in storage.
I don’t want to hi Jack @HangOutdoors thread… I did a quick search and found a post by @Neutron suggesting doing a search for locking gas caps, they come as a complete thru hull fitting.

I don’t know where your boat was in storage but if it was at a pay type lot then you might consider a lot with better security.

Back