• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Would you change oil and plugs?

Michal

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Last season was a sad one. Only put on around 20 hours and 13 since the last plug/oil change. I'm really debating if I should bother doing the changes this year. Oil is clean, plugs look great. Feel like I'd be waisting money. What's your opinion? PXL_20230325_161535316.jpg

I would check the oil and put a bit in glass container to see if there is it separates if there is any water or moisture in it. Otherwise you should be fine. Your plugs should be are fine.

Yeah I would just ride it out, put some gas in it though lol

Yeah I would just ride it out, put some gas in it though lol
For sure! Lol....I was going to fill it up today but the day got away from me.

Motor oil does break down as it ages. That is why you see both an engine hour and time on the recommended interval for ICE engines. My 2 cents is that I would change it. Cheap insurance against excessive wear on the engine.

Last year was wet summer for us, hope it's going to be better this year.
Was a VERY wet summer for us too. We didn't get out near as much as we wanted either. I think I only put 20 hours or so on our boat. However, much of those hours are hard/heavy load surfing. So I'll def be changing mine here soon before the season starts.

Michal, go with the fresh oil at the very least. Small cost compared to an issue of old oil running through an engine that will be run at 5-8k rpm's for extended periods of time. Would hate to have one of those face palm moments thinking "If I only would have....".

Motor oil does break down as it ages. That is why you see both an engine hour and time on the recommended interval for ICE engines. My 2 cents is that I would change it. Cheap insurance against excessive wear on the engine.
Oil oxidizes over time that’s why there is a time limit.

edit: Its usually 12 months on the interval.

Last edited:
I checked mine and we only put 16 hours on it last year. Oil still looks new. I'm going to change it anyways, but was shocked we barely put that many hours on it. Most of those had to have been when I was at my buddy's lake house and we are out all day long.

I had an old lawnmower that used a lot of oil. I would save the oil from my boat like yours when it looked new and ran it through the mower so I didn't feel like I was wasting it. Mower finally caught on fire from all the oil leaks so I no longer have it. So not sure I can recommend this lol. I also in the olden days would use it on a wooden floored trailer I had. Not sure if this is even legal now.

All of this to say I agree change the oil once a year. Oil breaks down and engine sludge comes from oil when it can no longer hold on to the carbon deposits it has dissolved and that's the detergents not the petroleum/lubricating part of the oil you're looking at that looks new.

Back