• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha 252 FSH Sport or 222 FSH Sport E?

If you were buying a new Yamaha which one would you choose between these two models?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cgaechief

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I am trying to decide on a Yamaha 252 FSH Sport or 222 FSH Sport E. I am here looking for some opinions of those that own these models. My vehicle has a tow limit of 6600 lbs, so the 252 is going to be at near the weight limit. So, is the 252 worth the extra cost? Is the 3" of draft a big deal? Is there a big difference in how they handle choppy waters? I would love to hear from owners and sales folks on the pluses and minuses of these two models.

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
252 Loaded with gas, gear, plus passengers will push you over your tow limit.
So unless you want to upgrade your vehicle go with 222. But bigger boat is nice and will be better in choppy waters.

cgaechief

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
252 Loaded with gas, gear, plus passengers will push you over your tow limit.
So unless you want to upgrade your vehicle go with 222. But bigger boat is nice and will be better in choppy waters.
"...plus passengers..." Why would I consider "passengers" when considering the tow weight?

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
"...plus passengers..." Why would I consider "passengers" when considering the tow weight?
Because they are considered as payload which will reduce your towing capacity.
Payload
Payload is the total weight of all cargo and passengers in your tow vehicle. On the other hand, it is not the total amount of weight the bed of a truck can carry. Remember, the driver is part of the payload. In addition, passengers are part of the payload. Moreover, anything in the cabin, from a bottle of water to a week’s worth of camping supplies, is also part of the payload.
Autotrader article
Look at Ford F150 Tow calculator
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 1.55.48 PM.png

Increasing weight of passengers and cargo
Screenshot 2023-10-13 at 1.56.24 PM.png

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If I were you, I would go with 222, my reasoning is, it is harder to tow launch the bigger boat and if you dont need the space there is no real advantage. For choppy waters both can handle, maybe 252 a bit better cause its heavier but most of the time if water is choppy you probably wont go out anyway and stay in the protection of the bay.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The weight of the 252 with a full tank of gas and the trailer is 6638#. So if you are not willing to upgrade your tow vehicle the decision has already been made.

The weight of the 222 with a full tank of gas and the trailer is 5427#, leaving 1173# of towing capacity but as @zpaul has illustrated that’s only part of the equation.

Something I learned a while back from @biffdotorg is that other than the wake series boats, all of the other boats in a given hull length use the same hull, just the top cap and accoutrements are different.

We need to know where you intend to use the boat, how you intend to use the boat and how many people you expect to take out on the boat regularly to give you an accurate answer.

Short of that information and based on the usage of my 210 FSH, and if I was going to upgrade I would go with the 252 FSH. You can have extra space and not use it, so those times where I’d have extra people on board all of space on deck and storage would be there. I recently learned that the 222 FSH has a smaller trolling motor battery shelf, good for two batteries, where as the 252 (and my boat) has a battery shelf that will easily hold three batteries with room to spare. The fuel tank on the 222 is 75 gallons compared with the 252’s 100 gallons, and in at least three different tests, two from boating magazine and one from boat test, the 222’s fuel consumption was shockingly high and therefore a surprisingly short range for the 222. While sadly neither boat test or boating magazine has done a test on the 252, one can extrapolate mpg / range numbers from the other 25’ boats, (perhaps @Zackdadams can chime in with real world fuel consumption and range information from his 252) and the range is significantly greater than the 222, with the new 1.9L engine ( both the 222 and the 252 have the 1.9L engine) and the reported four bladed impellers on the 2024 models mpg / range may have improved noticeably, preliminary reports on the 1.9 engines are more power and quieter operation as well. The live well on the 222 and the 252 are in the aft starboard corner, the 222‘s live well appears to be too small for my usage which is keeping fish alive and not just bait, while the 252’s appears larger, as well, the 252’s has the port forward aquarium live well, and all of these live wells can serve double duty as ice chests, but be advised, unless the aft starboard corner live wells are filled with water these boats will list a bit to port, my 210 is the same. Free board on the 252 is higher than the 222 as witnessed by the 252’s four horizontal under gunwale rod holders and the 222’s three, depending on the waters you boat in, this higher free board could be very important to you. The 252 has the five across bench seating just behind the helm with the center section that folds down after removing the cushions which creates a large flat casting deck, whereas the 222 has two built in hide away jump seats that fold down to make a casting deck, again something to consider based on your use and crew size, and this aft passenger seating is going to be the smoothest and driest ride when conditions get real, and if you’re like me and my fishing friends, some wind and rough water are not going to keep us off the water.

The 222 Sport E has push button start / stop, fly by wire throttle, engine synching and single throttle operation as well as electrically controlled shift gates compared with the 252’s cable actuated throttles / shift gates and key switch operated start and stop. For me, and based on what my needs are I would take the 252’s cable actuated controls, because with the cable actuated shift gates thrust is infinitely adjustable at low speed. From everything I’ve read thus far the electronically actuated shift gates are either in TDE (thrust directional enhancer-both the 222 & 252 have this) ahead, reverse or neutral with no in between. When I’m slow trolling I need to be able to adjust the speed down to 1-1.8 mph and the electronic shifting will not allow that. Being able to infinitely adjust thrust is also a big advantage over an outboard engine or an I/O system.

Depending on the waters you boat in, the extra weight and length of the 252 would make handling waves or choppy water better as well.

The 222 FSH is fine boat indeed! But for me personally, given the choice between the 222 and the 252 I’d take the 252.

cgaechief

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Where I live, Saint James City on Pine Island, FL, we need a versatile boat. Some days we load up with friends and head across the Pine Island Sound to Sanibel or Captiva to one of our favorite restaurants. Some days we take the kids and grandkids over to Cayo Costa and anchor on the beach and play and fish all day, and sometimes me a couple of buddies stay and fish in the sound all day,

I don't head more than a couple of miles off shore of Sanibel, and with this boat I want to head up to 40 miles offshore to do some fishing and lobstering. Can't do that with my 22' pontoon. I only have to transport the boat about .2 miles from our home to the salt water ramp, so weight is not a big deal there, but there are times when we want to head to the FL Keys or Homosassa

That is why I am considering these 2 boats. Thank you FSH 210 Sport for all of your thoughts on these. I don't think I can go wrong with either boat. I just don't want to be a year into ownership and wish I had gotten the bigger boat.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you intend on going 40 miles out, spending the day fishing and lobstering then just the range and built in reserve capacity of the 255 and its SC engines is the big winner there. I have included a boat test of the the 2021 252 SD for comparison of the 25’ hull boat and its normally aspirated 1.8’s for comparison to the 252. again, perhaps @Zackdadams can chime in to confirm, deny, or offer up his real world fuel numbers when comparing to the 252 SD, or anyone else reading this post who has a 252 SD to relate their personal fuel usage on their boat. I’m keeping in mind that these are test articles and they are generally complimentary and are usually light on fuel, people and cargo. My 210 FSH for example gets around 3.1-3.2 with the stock impellers at best cruise with a 1/2 load of fuel and a trolling motor and tackle with just me in the boat. With the high altitude impellers and a few peeps and there stuff the mpg is in the 2.7-2.8 range, get into some bigger water and have to run with the bow up the mpg drops to 1.92, @lazergeek can attest to that.

255 FSH sport E

222 FSH Sport E

252 SD for comparison of 25’ hull with the normally aspirated 1.8L’s, this boat got 1.9-2.4 mpg over a very wide range of speed and rpms. I would think the 252 and its normally aspirated 1.9’s will get very similar mpg.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you are not going to be buying a new TV or plan on slipping the boat, there really is no choice to be made! Your current tow vehicle (as already described above) is not adequate to safely tow the larger boat.

Also, as previously discussed, you need to look at both the towing capacity of the tow vehicle as well as the payload capacity.

Both the 22’ and the 25’ are excellent boats. IMHO, Yamaha hit a home run with the redesign of the 21’ (including the higher gunwhales and the larger fuel tank). As for the 25’, no one ever says that they wish they had a smaller boat when offshore in nasty weather.

Jim

ClemsonTigers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Real world fuel numbers in the 222 sport E are as follows-
2.5 mpg best cruise 28-35 mph
Top speed 50 best case scenario. Runs 45+ all day everyday
I only have 10 hours so I expect these numbers to get better over time.
255 boat test best cruise was 2.1 I believe
252 would be slightly less than the 222 I would think
For what it’s worth the E model with push button start and fly by wire controls is an absolute must! You’ll thank me later

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Real world fuel numbers in the 222 sport E are as follows-
2.5 mpg best cruise 28-35 mph
Top speed 50 best case scenario. Runs 45+ all day everyday
I only have 10 hours so I expect these numbers to get better over time.
255 boat test best cruise was 2.1 I believe
252 would be slightly less than the 222 I would think
For what it’s worth the E model with push button start and fly by wire controls is an absolute must! You’ll thank me later
Thank you for the real world test numbers! I think a lot of us suspected and hoped for much better fuel usage than what was reported in the magazine tests.

What was your fuel, people a d cargo loading? Where are you boating at? Temp ?

ClemsonTigers

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Absolutely! Yes I was one of those people. I’m neither disappointed nor happy with the fuel numbers. They are just ok imo. I would love to see 3mpg but that’s not going to happen. I would be interested to see what the new 1.9’s can do however I’m glad to have the older more proven 1.8’s. I”ll let someone else Guinea pig that on their dime. I do think you could get higher numbers in more optimal conditions but 2.5 was obtainable most every time we cruised.
Fuel load was full to 1/4 tank. Most of time being 50%+
Cargo load varied 2-6 adults with various kids in the mix (count them as 1/2 people? Lol)
Air temp was usually 90-100 F
Water temp 80+
All numbers were on a large lake around sea level in South Carolina.
I’m going to keep playing with it but real world is 2.3 - 2.5 almost no matter how configure it. Weight and speed can vary wildly and still stay in that general range.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Right on…. That is real world fuel usage for sure.. a broad mix of load. Those high temps and a heavy crew load will pull the mpg number down dramatically, even at sea level. I’m guessing you’d be in the upper 2’s with a light fuel load and just you on the boat.

I can also attest to RIVA’s K&N style air filter giving my TR-1’ a 200 rpm boost at high altitude on a hot day. I don’t know how that would work for your boat and location. My goal was to try and get some more revs out of my boat at the horsepower robbing elevation of 5000’ on a hot day with density altitude around 9000’. If you want to test whether or not those air filters could benefit you, make sure your air boxes are clean, pull the air filters and make some back to back runs with and without the factory air filters. In my experience, I gained 150-200 rpm without the factory air filters installed, and I saw the same gain with the RIVA air filters. You never know, you might be able to pick up a few tenths of mpg with them and increased rpms if you are not already at max rpms.

Again, thanks for the real world dope!

cgaechief

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well a lot of great advise here. It came down to the numbers; the weight of the boat and the cost of the boat. I have owned boats most of my 60 years, but I have never purchased a new one. Good Lord! There are more fees than a new car. In spite of that, we decided on a new 2023 222 FSH Sport E. We considered the 24 with the new 1.9L engines, but the 1.8Lare tried and tested. I mean, the 1.9L are still "Yamaha" built, so I am sure they are going to be great, but I try not to buy things with first time engines/transmissions. And there was about $9K price difference.

I drove 2000 miles roundtrip to get it from BSC in Peninsula, OH. They saved me $3400 after my trip costs and I needed a road trip. I had never seen one in person until I saw ours. Thought about running over to the FIBS, but even they would not come close to the BSC deal.

We have been out twice and taking kids and grandkids island hopping, fishing and dolphin watching tomorrow. I would love to hear some thoughts on the JBP lateral thrust vectors.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well a lot of great advise here. It came down to the numbers; the weight of the boat and the cost of the boat. I have owned boats most of my 60 years, but I have never purchased a new one. Good Lord! There are more fees than a new car. In spite of that, we decided on a new 2023 222 FSH Sport E. We considered the 24 with the new 1.9L engines, but the 1.8Lare tried and tested. I mean, the 1.9L are still "Yamaha" built, so I am sure they are going to be great, but I try not to buy things with first time engines/transmissions. And there was about $9K price difference.

I drove 2000 miles roundtrip to get it from BSC in Peninsula, OH. They saved me $3400 after my trip costs and I needed a road trip. I had never seen one in person until I saw ours. Thought about running over to the FIBS, but even they would not come close to the BSC deal.

We have been out twice and taking kids and grandkids island hopping, fishing and dolphin watching tomorrow. I would love to hear some thoughts on the JBP lateral thrust vectors.
Thats totally awesome!! Here’s hoping many many happy and fun filled hours on your boat in the nearest of futures!

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cgaechief Congrats! Really like that color combo as well.

When you have the time would like to get your perspective on how the boat runs and handles.

You asked about LTs, just wondering as from what I have seen most inquire about fins before LTs.

cgaechief

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@cgaechief Congrats! Really like that color combo as well.

When you have the time would like to get your perspective on how the boat runs and handles.

You asked about LTs, just wondering as from what I have seen most inquire about fins before LTs.
ViS, I am looking at getting the complete kit (https://jetboatpilot.com/collections/steering-enhancement/products/lateral-thruster-2-0-reverse-steering-enhancement-2019-current-yamaha-boats?variant=40081831559221), so I only have to take it apart and put it back together once.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length