• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha AR220 vs AR190 2023

TooHeyZ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I have deposits down on both the Yamaha AR 220 and AR190, 2023 models. It just me and the wife now, but will be having kids shortly. She wants to tube and hang out at sandbar and I want to ski & tube. We want enough space for 6-8 ppl comfortably to take the family and friends out but also have enough power to enjoy the sports. I have ruled out the 195 (don’t want the SC engine). What model should I bite on? Also, I have 2019 4Runnner, tow cap @ 5000 lbs. will this be enough for the 220 (dry weight states 3,500, idk if that’s with trailer) About 20miles each way, no hills. TY in advance!

Last edited:

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree, get the 220. My wife and I bought a SX190 in 2019, great boat, but have been waiting for the right time to upgrade to at least 22, if not 25. Especially with our first kid coming in a few weeks.

Dough

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Get the bigger boat

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Someone on here said "buy your second boat first"...get the 220

We have the AR230 and six is easy, 8 starts feeling a bit crowded (four adults + 4 kids) - we have done 10 (four adults + six kids) and the boat handles the weight fine but it is just too small (in my opinion) for that many butts in seats.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get the 220. Especially if you are planning on kids in the future. While it is a fairly large jump in price, it will be well worth it down the road when your family grows.

TooHeyZ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Someone on here said "buy your second boat first"...get the 220

We have the AR230 and six is easy, 8 starts feeling a bit crowded (four adults + 4 kids) - we have done 10 (four adults + six kids) and the boat handles the weight fine but it is just too small (in my opinion) for that many butts in seats.
What do you tow your boat with?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I say it depends on where you want to boat and how much money you really want to spend.

The AR190 is 39K and the AR220 is 55K, that's a pretty big difference in the boat price. Is this your first boat? If so, if you don't like it, the financial risk is smaller in the smaller boat. If 4 or 5 years down the road you want to see the smaller boat and buy a bigger one, it really is no big deal to do so. The 19' boats are the most economical of the Yamaha's and the easiest to sell.

You mention the sandbar. Lake sandbar or ocean sandbar? Ocean sandbar, you will appreciate the much higher freeboard (and maybe the twin engines) on the 22' boat.

If you really think you will routine stuff the boat with people, then get the larger boat. If you think it will be a very infrequent, get the smaller boat. Personally, I wouldn't buy a boat for my friends, they can buy their own boat.

My wife and I are looking at a couples boat. We are focusing on the 220's as we want a larger, more stable boat that we can run on the ocean when the whether is nice. We all have different needs, make sure yours adequately reflects how you plan to use the boat.

Jim

gt5pilot

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
An F150 4x4 EcoBoost - it is overkill for the boat. I have towed a lot of trailers in my life and your Yota shouldn't have a problem with it, just make sure you get good tongue weight and ball height so that you are towing with a balanced set up.

I towed a 5k trailer with my 91 Yota 4x4 with the 3L V6 (150HP/180TQ) and it did fine, a bit underpowered but it was doable with the electric brakes I had on the trailer. I put over 200k miles on that rig/trailer without a single failure.

TooHeyZ

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I say it depends on where you want to boat and how much money you really want to spend.

The AR190 is 39K and the AR220 is 55K, that's a pretty big difference in the boat price. Is this your first boat? If so, if you don't like it, the financial risk is smaller in the smaller boat. If 4 or 5 years down the road you want to see the smaller boat and buy a bigger one, it really is no big deal to do so. The 19' boats are the most economical of the Yamaha's and the easiest to sell.

You mention the sandbar. Lake sandbar or ocean sandbar? Ocean sandbar, you will appreciate the much higher freeboard (and maybe the twin engines) on the 22' boat.

If you really think you will routine stuff the boat with people, then get the larger boat. If you think it will be a very infrequent, get the smaller boat. Personally, I wouldn't buy a boat for my friends, they can buy their own boat.

My wife and I are looking at a couples boat. We are focusing on the 220's as we want a larger, more stable boat that we can run on the ocean when the whether is nice. We all have different needs, make sure yours adequately reflects how you plan to use the boat.

Jim
Most likely won’t see the salt water. This is my first personal boat but know I will use it every weekend when the weathers right

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
An F150 4x4 EcoBoost - it is overkill for the boat. I have towed a lot of trailers in my life and your Yota shouldn't have a problem with it, just make sure you get good tongue weight and ball height so that you are towing with a balanced set up.
This is good comment. A lot of folks focus on the towing capacity of the tow vehicle, but make sure you have the payload capacity as well. The tongue weight and all the other weight of stuff added to the vehicle can affect the payload capacity.

Jim

knoxboatin

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As an AR210 owner, I would definitely suggest the larger boat. 6 people can fit comfortably, 8 would start to feel tight, but ok if some were kids or couples who like to sit close to each other. Also if you ever suck up something into one jet pump and can't clear it, you have the option of limping home on the other engine. My wife and I take the boat out regularly just the two of us and I never feel like it is too big.

BenjaminF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You have to think also about storage. Some will store their 19ft in their own garage while you won’t probably be able to do that with a 22fter. We went through the same dilemma. But between 21 and 25. We went with the 25 and are convinced we made the right choice. No regrets whatsoever. Go big if you can.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There are several things that you can't have that are too big...a boat is one :cool:

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the first year of the new 190 hull. Personal opinion, the new hull is just slower enough to make it too slow. Try the 220 out first. The 210 is acceptable but not superfast as is. The 220 might be too slow. From what I know, I would pick a 195s if I had to do it over.

tcallis

Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
OP, what did you decide on?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If the tow / cargo capacity of the OP’s vehicle is 5000# as he stated the 220 will be too heavy @4738# dry on the trailer, toss in 420# of fuel and now it’s at 5158# with no gear in the boat.

That’s a screen shot of the trailer page of Yamahas app for the 2023 AR220.

DD5C30CC-19BC-4C14-A517-10486E61CC44.png

On line version of the 2019 Toyota 4 Runner Owners manual :https://assets.sia.toyota.com/publications/en/om-s/OM35B48U/pdf/OM35B48U.pdf?_gl=1*sd5nwx*_tmna_ga*MzIyN2Q0OGFjMmRiNjk3Y15kZmNkOTYzNWYwNzAzYmE3*_tmna_ga_EP43E5EFVZ*MTY3ODUzNzk2OC4xLjEuMTY3ODUzODA0OS42MC4wLjA.#page176

Screen shot of the 2019 Toyota 4 Runner owners manual.

73BE4D8D-D1B3-4532-81BB-CB21005A9673.png

Table on page 181

FF267F2A-695A-48C2-A3A7-D5F36E20BA0E.png

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport