• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Your first car

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
IMG_5453.JPG Spoiled Brats!
My 1st car was an 82' Renault Le Car. :arghh:
55hp, 4 speed manual. Didn't have a choice - Dad said "Here you go."
Beat the crap out of that thing for years.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My first car was actually a bus, a 1969 VW that my dad bought me. What fun it was to learn how to drive a stick with that thing! It had no seats in the back so I could pile in all my buddies to go to the beach or wherever. I can't find a pic of just the bus but this pic is appropriate since I was alway on my skateboard when 16.

B6F5843F-AC53-47EA-A3B1-ED1F8833D305.JPG

About a year later I got bit by the need for speed and after trying to make that bus go fast my dad gave me the green to sell it and I bought a 1966 Nova for $500. It was bone stock with a 6 cylinder and powerglide 2 speed trans. I used every dollar I earned fixing it up and put in a nicely built 350, 4 speed trans and some low dollar bling. Sold it when I got in college.

B379E151-6EDD-43BB-86A0-498E00B70929.JPG
9A7E1167-80A6-4181-A3D2-A0DF3F0E030A.JPG

I wish I had that car now, the damage I could do with a proper build budget!

Attachments

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great thread. Brings back some fond memories. My first ride was a 1987 Chevy S10 Blazer with the severely under powered 2.8.
And your's brought back memories of my second car in, a '89 s10 Blazer, just like this one (but with running boards and diff. wheels). I had the 4.3L in mine so it had plenty of power. Also had my first car accident in it, got t-boned in it. I thought the insurance company would total it but they didn't and I got back a basically new truck after that.

Ramblin Wreck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
And your's brought back memories of my second car in, a '89 s10 Blazer, just like this one (but with running boards and diff. wheels). I had the 4.3L in mine so it had plenty of power. Also had my first car accident in it, got t-boned in it. I thought the insurance company would total it but they didn't and I got back a basically new truck after that.

The 4.3 was a great engine! They were good trucks no doubt.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not mine but an '87 Mustang GT 5spd all blacked out. Bought it with about 11k miles and sold with about 50k for less than they are going for now. Oh how I wish I kept that car. Lots of close calls but I am still here today. But I was stupid to pay the insurance that I did for it.

I am actually looking to relive my past and pick one up as a project car or just a joy car. Not serious enough yet to pull the trigger on any but might as the prices are rising. Mostly convertibles for sale or cars all modded up.

This one is up for sale on EBay but it is an automatic.
I hear you. I want an '89 or '90 hatchback LX 5.0 - I want to go bone stock.

I can't really think about it for another 5 years or so (gotta get some of these kids out of my house) and the dang Fox-Body mustangs are getting hot. Heck, my kid got the latest version of Need For Speed for Christmas and guess what one of the main cars is? A Fox Body GT!

I swear I'm always a day late to the party and a couple thousand dollars short....

(I also noticed a lot of Automatics for sale. Not for me. I like to stir my own gears thank-you-very-much!)

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I hear you. I want an '89 or '90 hatchback LX 5.0 - I want to go bone stock.

I can't really think about it for another 5 years or so (gotta get some of these kids out of my house) and the dang Fox-Body mustangs are getting hot. Heck, my kid got the latest version of Need For Speed for Christmas and guess what one of the main cars is? A Fox Body GT!

I swear I'm always a day late to the party and a couple thousand dollars short....

(I also noticed a lot of Automatics for sale. Not for me. I like to stir my own gears thank-you-very-much!)
Yeah, lots on convertibles too. I want an all black GT. And I might need to wait a couple years but I am starting the process. By then they might be out of my reach as they are getting hot. Stay tuned for my next post as I found a picture of mine.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So kind of a sad/happy moment happened to me tonight. First, let me say I love this site but you guys do have a way of spending my money. I started thinking about getting another car to play around with on the weekends a few months back (not because of all of you). Call it the mid life crisis thing I guess. I wasn't sure exactly what I really wanted...'69 Camaro to restore, maybe a compact convertible. Then I thought about my old mustang and thought that would be cool to have one again. Then I happened on this topic and it brought back memories and I thought wouldn't it be cool to find my exact old car, if it is not in pieces somewhere. (That was kind of because of you guys and this topic). So I started thinking today what it would take to find that car. I will probably put out another post on tips for doing this.

So now the sad/happy moment.

I knew I had a few pictures of the car somewhere in the house. (I know, call me a nerd for keeping pictures of a car from 25+years ago). So I lost my mom in 2015 and as I was thinking about her tonight I came across a card she had sent me that was in a stack of stuff. I of course read the card but behind the envelop was none other than a picture of that Mustang. She lead me right to it. Now to go find it....IMG_0522.JPG

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@96Pirate I used to sell Ford's back in the late 80's, I was too poor to buy a Mustang GT and drooled over them everyday at the dealership, even more when taking them out on test drives! That body style today is still badass, now you have me wanting to walk down memory lane to get one, but I have a very expensive Z06 in the garage so that kinda kills my idea of getting a late 80's Mustang GT. Good luck on your search and keep us posted!!!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@96Pirate I used to sell Ford's back in the late 80's, I was too poor to buy a Mustang GT and drooled over them everyday at the dealership, even more when taking them out on test drives! That body style today is still badass, now you have me wanting to walk down memory lane to get one, but I have a very expensive Z06 in the garage so that kinda kills my idea of getting a late 80's Mustang GT. Good luck on your search and keep us posted!!!
Haha...just trying to spread the disease that you all gave me...lol. BTW. I bought mine used in '88 with 11k miles. I think I got it for right around $11k also and I thought $200/mo was a lot. I am getting old and can't remember the numbers but it was something like that. Working lots of days to pay that and the damn insurance which was like $3k for a 18yr old.

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Haha...just trying to spread the disease that you all gave me...lol. BTW. I bought mine used in '88 with 11k miles. I think I got it for right around $11k also and I thought $200/mo was a lot. I am getting old and can't remember the numbers but it was something like that. Working lots of days to pay that and the damn insurance which was like $3k for a 18yr old.
I hear you, back in the late 80's interest rates were ridiculously high as well - heck I rode a motorcycle as that was all I could afford, having a Kawasaki Ninja and being 18/19 years old, my insurance was crazy, especially after a couple of speeding tickets Lol.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 54410 View attachment 54411 2nd car was an 84' Buick Regal. That was a fun car - lots of girls in the back seat! :thumbsup:

First bike was a 1986 Yamaha FZ600. Bought it new in spring of 86' with my summer job boss co-signing.
Seeing that Regal brings me back. My mom had a 1984 Regal T-Type turbo with an airbrushed front tag saying "Mom's Toy" lol. Similar to a Grand National minus intercooler and some other stuff I can't remember. I used to sneak that car out when they would go out of town and take it to the street races lol. I would put pine cones in the driveway so i knew exactly were to park it again. I also would drive it backwards up and down the neighborhood as that car would actually turn back miles driving it backwards heh. I thought I was in the clear until my neighbor ratted me out telling my parents he saw me strangely driving the car up and down the street backwards. BUSTED :D

It was like this one except she had gray interior instead of red...

Last edited:

T. Turner

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First car was a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta that looked just like this one. Same forest green color and everything. I abused the hell out of that car and nothing ever went wrong with the engine. The Germans know how to build a motor. 26165410010_large.jpg

Hannibal

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
'69 Comet GT. White with blue taxi cab interior. Definite chic magnet for supersized chics!

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
198? Toyota Corolla SR5. Hand-me down from my older sister after dad bought her a brand new Ford Contour. It was red, had a moon roof, flip up headlights, and mine had a luggage rack on the back (?). It sounded like you were going fast...but you weren't. It broke loose around a corner at 15-20 mpg (a good thing) and it liked to lock up the front brakes (a bad thing). No traction in general; but aside from my friend's mailbox (turned into his drive after a snow and it didn't turn), a good car for a kid who would test the "limits". Had I started with the BMW 325 I had years back, I would have hurt myself. It stuck to corners at 60 mph.
ae86-1986-toyota-corolla-sr5-2.JPG