• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Your first car

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So I was seeing all these posts of first time boaters and seeing all the excitement for their new toys and it got me thinking of what it felt like when I first got freedom with my first wheels. When we look back and reflect on our youth, it's humbling to think where we probably were in regards to transportation when we were just 16 years old to where we are now where we could easily buy our first cars 30 times over for what we just paid for our new boats.

My step dad was a mechanic and found this 11 year old hunk 'o shit at the junkyard and rebuilt the engine (1983 Nissan Sentra; photo is not my exact vehicle but same model and color as mine). What I remember most besides the freedom was how much of a pain in the ass it was. What a beater!! Had starter troubles, battery troubles, transmission trouble, etc. I had it it about a year before upgrading but there were still some great memories to be had with me and my friends on late weekend nights.

IMG_4551.PNG

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well lets dust off the memories, in 1975 I learned to drive in a 1966 Plymouth Valiant with push button shift controls, then when I did not wreck that I graduated to our dune buggy with a porsche 356 engine, ran alot of autocross with that, very quick. My first on road car was a 1976 VW Rabbit, where I got to rebuild and modify. Then an 83 GTI with big mods to engine and suspension. Still have that car. Just trucks now.20170417_070234.jpgThis is a 33yo picture of that GTI, no pics of other autos, before I moved to Florida and bored out to 1.9l,10.5:1 compression and knock sensor ignition from an 86 GTI. Not my first car, but first car I bought.

Last edited:

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mustard Yellow Ford Maverick with a straight six, fugly ass car, it was not a chick magnet Lol.

Here is what it looked like, not my actual car.

maverick.jpg

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a 1991 geo metro with all of its three cylinder glory lol. We used to take this car mudding all the time damn I gave that car hell.
geo-metro-xfi.jpg

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
First car (age 13) 83 Honda Civic. Paid $70. Got it running, and learned to drive stick with it. Used to beat it around the old drive in every day after school. Total hunk of shit.
First street legal car - 71 VW Super Beetle.

I'm well over 300 cars at this point, and have 13 right now.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMG_2444.JPG IMG_8459.JPG First truck was a '69 Chevy short bed. Got it when I was 15, my Dad and I took it apart and had a friend paint it. I joined the military and had it at my mom's since I also had a '85 Silverado at the time. The water froze in it one winter and pushed a freeze plug out, a coworker talked me into selling it to him. He started driving itnto work the next week and it drove me nuts seeing it everyday, I constantly told him if he ever sold it I better be the first to know. He got Orders to go to Japan so he sold it back to me, that was in 1995ish....you could set it on fire and push it off a cliff...I still wouldn't sell it now:)

It still stays at my mom's, she drives it to work sometimes and around the farm almost daily.
These pics are about 2 years ago.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1987 Trans Am, I worked 2 summers in an Alaskan canary to save up the money. I miss that pos.one looked just like this one.
IMG_8355.PNG

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
1986 Dodge Aries K car...... Candy Apple Red (cough.. cough)

NOS on board ... complete sleeper :rolleyes:

75BECB41-5A47-46D5-9403-744A213EBA28-353-000001144D48B06C.jpeg

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
1978 Honda Accord CVCC with only 110k on it, just like this one. Manual steering, 5 speed manual with loads of slop and probably 70 hp, it used a quart of oil per tank. Cost me $1,100 for the car and $1,700 for liability insurance thanks to the lousy insurance rates up north. It lasted a year before the motor gave up the ghost.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
1973 Olds Cutlass with more bondo than metal! LOL Was a hand me down from my brother, who recently plowed it into a ditch full of water....I had to recarpet it with shag carpet I got out of the attic! This is the only photo I could find of it....going on a ski trip in up state NY near Syracuse with my room mates:

olds cutlass.jpg

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You sure that ain't a 77?

1973 Olds Cutlass with more bondo than metal! LOL Was a hand me down from my brother, who recently plowed it into a ditch full of water....I had to recarpet it with shag carpet I got out of the attic! This is the only photo I could find of it....going on a ski trip in up state NY near Syracuse with my room mates:

View attachment 54187

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Complete with (insert Ricardo Montalban accent) Corinthian Leather??

1976 Chrysler Cordoba, bought for $600. I loved that car and kind of wish I still had it, the wife not so much. By the way, that's her on the hood.
View attachment 54188

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My super sexy Swedish sports coupe, women dug it.
4225198025_1d322eca3e.jpg
Not mine, but an exact replica, 1968 Volvo 142s. Coolest thing about it was the speedometer, an orange bar that moved horizontally.