• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Lake Winnebago (WI) chain - Coves/Sandbars/Restaurants/Bars

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
We will be up on Butte Des Morts, Winneconne, Poygan, Fremont/Partridge on Saturday and Sunday if anyone is around.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We booked a couple nights at the Wolf River Lodge over Memorial Day weekend- Friday and Saturday nights. We have a few other families staying at the lodge and cabins right on the water.
I was looking for this post, but I was searching for Labor Day - drove me nuts!

Not sure if you were meaning Labor Day, or planning for next year, but we are still trying to decide if we're coming up for Labor Day weekend, if so, the Lodge is our favorite fish fry place. Maybe dinner meet-up if things pan out

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was looking for this post, but I was searching for Labor Day - drove me nuts!

Not sure if you were meaning Labor Day, or planning for next year, but we are still trying to decide if we're coming up for Labor Day weekend, if so, the Lodge is our favorite fish fry place. Maybe dinner meet-up if things pan out
Yes, next weekend. We are going to boat up to the Wolf Lodge Friday evening and will be there through Sunday. I am sure we will be making some trips further north on Saturday.

I will keep an eye out for your boat! Expecting we will be having cocktails and food most evening at the lodge. Our friends have the two cabins right next to the lodge. We just have a room at the lodge.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Heading upriver (same blue-colored line), you'll come across the green circled area first.

Chico's Landing has parking for your trailer if you wish to drop in here, as well as lodging if you'd like. Right next door to that is the Wolf River Lodge. The owner secured permits for campsites, and this year he's supposedly going to be putting in several thousand dollars worth of work to create campsites on the property. IMO, they've got THE best all you can eat fish fry. I'm a pretty big boy, and I've NEVER felt the need to ask for more than the first plate full, and have walked out taking one of the fillets home with me! They're new-ish to the location (opened last year in the middle of summer), but not to the area - Danny used to run the Wolf River Diner, now closed, and he's NEVER offered anything other than stellar food. Next to the Lodge is Hahn's (Hahn-a-Lula). Campsites, mobile home weekly rentals, slips available...outside bar, inside bar, hall for special events with its own bar...another awesome place.

Just past Hahn's is Anchor Point Marina, if you need fuel. I know that Hahn's had/has a fuel pump on the pier, but I have zero idea if it is operational. I honestly can't recall EVER seeing anyone filling up there. If you're getting low, fill up at Anchor Point. There's another place further up river by Fort Fremont, but the hours/service are more sporadic, IMO. The red circle is Gala Resort. They are/were up for sale, and they really seemed like they were having a tough time of it last year with all the restrictions. If they haven't sold, and you roll up, expect good drinks and food. Service and/or wait times will be your indicator if you want to stay longer than a drink or two. If things are back to "normal" this year, I'd wholeheartedly recommend this place, if not, pay attention to the wait times. From others, the rental places they have are nice, or bring your camper. There's a little "creek" dredged out of the middle of the campgrounds for mooring your boat. The places with piers on the river...it's wide open there, so I would definitely recommend against those unless your fender and line game is strong. There are some double-deckers and some SERIOUS displacement boats that will steam past there, as well as a local boat club that makes some runs up into Fremont past that area - again, not recommending a pier rental on the river, the cut-in creek down the middle of the campgrounds is where it's at.

The yellow circle is The Bridge Bar, and The Hotel Freemont. The Bridge will have a very fun atmosphere, kid-friendly food, outdoor dining is far more popular here than indoor dining, and the outside bar, when open, is generally packed. If you're there Monday-Friday, DO NOT tie up parallel to the river, you're just gonna get the crap beat out of your boat. If it's Saturday/Sunday, park wherever you can find a spot. This is the farthest spot that the local waterski show makes a turn, and they may drop off a skier or two at this place (it's easier to run down the sidewalk back to the stands!). The Hotel makes some great food as well, outdoor or indoor dining is equally great, and if they've still got it on the menu, the Blackberry Old Fashioned is stellar! Ask for Adam's mushrooms as a garnish (unless you don't like mushrooms, in which case, you might want to see a doctor, there's something wrong with you!).

The pink circle is two places in one. Upstairs is Pier 5, downstairs is The Nauti Turtle. During boating season, the downstairs is open, and Pier 5 is usually open for special events only. This is a place where, if you're trying to get into a slip to tie up, make sure you're ready for it. The river bends right there, you won't be able to miss the giant rocked hook that's directing the river, and it makes it tough to slide into a spot sometimes.

The Fuschia rectangle is the tie-up spot on Partridge. You won't be able to miss it, there will likely be plenty of boats already there when you roll up. It CAN be deeper than you'd like, so a mat or floats or something are recommended for much younger kids. If you have a mix of kids, the younger ones can always hit the beach that's right there within eyeshot of the tie-up spot - it's 3-4 houses down from the Nauti Turtle as well. Last year, it was closed for Covid precautions, so that might not be an option - let me know and I can check for you if need be.

Lastly, the blue rectangle is Blue Top Resort. Reed & Amanda are the new(ish) owners, and according to some friends that I know who've been going there longer than I've been alive, they are great to work with, and have made some noticed (and approved) improvements on the place. There's a spot to launch your boat, campers welcome, and they do have rentals. If you have a larger group, call to see if "the big house" is available. Not sure about that one, as that's one of the improvements, and my friend is going to be testing it out this upcoming year.

Further up the river, I spoke about before, but this is all for me right now. I'm looking forward to hearing of places you guys have seen. @WiskyDan directly across the river from where you store your boat is an ampitheater. In years past, they had concerts every Tuesday (or was it Thursday?) there. The neighbors introduced me to the concert series when we were asked "you guys wanna go see a band by boat? It's over in Oshkosh". Yeah, turns out, we were going to see Styx! Ted Nugent, 38 Special, Bad Boy...they had some really great acts. The sooner you got there, the more you paid, but if you waited too long, you ran the risk of not being able to get in at all. Our plan was for a night ride if we couldn't get in. A nice moonlit night, and we're banging along about 45-50mph in his Ski Brendella. They didn't have anything set up last year, as Oshkosh was really clamping down on stuff wherever they could. Gala Resort was one of those casualties, because they're in the same county as Oshkosh, and that was one of the reasons they took such a beating last year (Oshkosh even went so far as to have undercover cops stop in to check on Hahn's & Gala).

Anyhoo, here's the pic of what I was blathering on about

View attachment 145473
@FSH 210 Sport this is my overlong soliloquy about the river and the general area, and sifting through this thread is a great resource about the area. Some pics may need a bit wider angle for them to make sense, but Google's satellite view can be used with great success to sort some things out. Again, @Brad460 has a great pic of the river and just how wide it is. If you notice, in his pic of their boat at the pier, in the background is a slow/no-wake buoy, so even though it's narrower, the limits on speeding through there give you great confidence in the safety of boating this area. To the right of Brad's pic, and down the river a few hundred yards, is one of those "sandbars" we talked about. It's really just a buildup on the inside of the bend in the river, as all the sandbars are. The depth finder gives you enough notice, at the speed you can travel, so that it's not really a concern at all. The other sandbars or stopping points up the river are well past Partridge, and are really just a buildup on the inside turn of the bend that are enough to allow you to beach your boat, and that's about it - those areas will drop off to 7' or more at the back of my boat, so again, not really an issue, and just something to be aware of, rather than overly concerned about.

@WiskyDan has a pretty good handle on Winnebago. He stores his boat at Skipper Bud's in Oshkosh right now, which launches into Lake Butte des Morts, and heading east and underneath I-41 takes you on the Fox River (another non-concern "river" that's really just a connecting body of water) to Lake Winnebago. While the distance is quite short on the map, on the water can be a completely different story. Depending on the railroad bridge, it could take you 20-30 minutes to get from Butte des Morts, to an hour or more if the trains are really bad.

Trailering, you'll pass Petenwell Lake and Castle Rock Lake, about an hour and a half from the MN/WI border. I don't have much info on either, other than to say that they look like fun when I'm driving around the area for work. There are a few who frequent the Wisconsin River area connecting the two lakes, I think a quick search would bring those folks up, if you're interested in a stop in that area as well. The next choice you'd have would be whether to split off and head my way, or keep going into Oshkosh to drop in. If you head to Oshkosh, you'd likely pass through Omro, WI. Highway 21 runs right along the river, and it's a really nice float through the area if interested. There really IS too much to see in a day (or likely even a weekend) in the general area. Lake Winneconne or Butte des Morts are a happy medium spot for exploring the area, depending on what you're looking to do, but anything is reachable with enough gas and time. With a trailer, it's the best of all options, as you can simply pick up shop and move to a closer landing, and drop in closer to the action.

Hope this gives you a good lay of the land, and we're always more than willing to help you enjoy your time in the area if possible.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks @drewkaree !

Holy smokes ! That’s a lot of info! That’ll keep me busy for a while reading through all of the posts and absorbing it all!