• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine hydrolocked help!!!!

Jaimevasr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So last year I decided to buy a 2013 yamaha ar190 single engine. Really nice boat. Everything last season was amazing.

This year I wanted to give my wife a little side cash so I told her to list the boat for rent when we were not using it. We got our first rental on Saturday memorial day weekend and it was a success! Sunday we had another rental, however this one did not go well. The renter did not have the bilge pump on and flooded the engine bay. Water was sucked in and hydrolocked the motor. Every so often the boat would take on water I'm assuming through the back hatch but nothing the pump wouldn't pump out. I'm not sure if normal but not really much I can do about that now.

The only shop that I know of that's works on yamaha jet boats in northern California said it needs a complete engine rebuild.

I reaching out to the jet boat community to see if anyone is selling a good condition 1.8 ho engine for similar year(I don't know what years are compatible) or if anyone knows who would work on the engine rebuild in the northern California that is reasonably priced. I'm not worried of traveling to purchase an engine but would prefer local for the rebuild.

Thank you anyone that could help or point me in the right direction. 233_1901.JPG233_1901.JPGbdd48fcdba08de38bffef14614d94a6.jpeg233_1901.JPG233_1897.JPG

bdd48fcdba08de38bffef14614d94a6.jpegbdd48fcdba08de38bffef14614d94a6.jpeg

Attachments

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I may be wrong, but do some Yamaha jet skis have this same engine? If so, maybe include those in your search for an engine.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did water fill the engine bay?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
These guys sell engines from salvaged jets on ebay and have a great seller rating:

Maybe a member from NC knows something about them?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the referral @zipper .

@Jaimevasr, I’ve got what you need here in Discovery Bay, CA 94505.

that is a complete naturally aspirated 1.8L motor from a 2010 242LS. It had 506 hours on it when I pulled it earlier this year. I stabilized the fuel and changed the oil and filter beforehand. It has a new timing chain that was installed by an experienced PWC shop. Read on for why. I took compression readings and video of it starting up and idling before I pulled it.

The timing chain on my other (port) motor broke.
I ended up replacing both motors with motors from a wrecked 2017 ar240. I had the timing chain replaced in this (starboard) motor replaced with a new one thinking that I may keep it as a spare. My two Waverunners also use the same motor but if I can recoup some of my rebuild costs, I’m all for it.

this engine is complete with starter, oil cooler (upgraded in 2013), fuel rail, injectors, throttle body, coils, plugs, etc. you should be able to drop it in your hull, connect it to your drive shaft coupler and writing harness and go. I am also selling the related ecm and other misc parts.

I recently reduced my from price from $5,500 originally to $4,000 buyer must pick up from Discovery Bay. I’m selling what’s pictured. I will help load it into your truck or SUV. This is an as is sale, no refunds, returns, exchanges, etc. Please reply to me if interested. If you want to go private on this start and conversation with me.
681634A6-40A8-4266-B90A-CDE3A199891E.jpegC5B3AFF3-CE19-4A0F-B351-9E940486BBBD.pngEEFC73F8-D74E-4C14-8FE1-553C9C0D4168.png

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Jaimevasr , as someone already mentioned there is a member here selling a couple of complete engines from the east coast, I’ve seen a few come out of boats totaled during the floods there, shipping costs may be very high, the engine weighs around 300 pounds.

SBT (small block technologies) on the east coast offer refurbed engines on a core exchange basis. To use them if they have an engine in stock requires you have a working / undamaged core. They would require you to have that hole patched before selling you an engine with a one or two year warranty depending on which you choose. You haveto send them your core first and you pay all shipping fees.

Yamaha started putting these engines in their fx line around 2008 or 2009. The gp line started with these engines. Both lines come with the option to upgrade to supercharged versions, you will need a matching ecm to upgrade to supercharged motors.

I’m just a part time/occasional shade tree mechanic but highly recommend that you identify the cause of your leak and take care of it before or soon after putting your boat back in service.

good luck with what you decide to do on this.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Also, you should not have to turn the bilge pump on, it should function automatically. So beyond where the copious amount of water is coming from, you need to fix the bilge pump.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Also, you should not have to turn the bilge pump on, it should function automatically. So beyond where the copious amount of water is coming from, you need to fix the bilge pump.
Not debating, just saying that on mine, you have to turn the bilge on at the dash and the battery switch has to be on. I don’t think there’re all the same.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not debating, just saying that on mine, you have to turn the bilge on at the dash and the battery switch has to be on. I don’t think there’re all the same.
I think all Yamahas come from the factory with the same pump and configuration. That is, the battery switch must be on and the bilge pump switch must be on as well. Once these conditions are met the bilge pump checks for resistance against its impeller every few minutes. If it detects water the pump stays on other one it switches off immediately after it checks. I rewired my pump so it’s connect directly to the battery because I anticipate renting a slip during the season. This allows me to turn off the battery but still keep the pump powered. I should also be able to turn the pump on and leave it on manually now via the bilge pump switch, you need to upgrade your pump to get this added functionality. My upgraded pulp has a third lead.

TuckerE36

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
OP have a question, what platform do you use to rent out your boat? I bought my '21 195S specifically to rent out and the peer to peer insurance policy would have covered this. If during the safety briefing you covered operational instructions and the renter didn't adhere, this would fall on them.

Jaimevasr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may be wrong, but do some Yamaha jet skis have this same engine? If so, maybe include those in your search for an engine.
That's what I'm looking into but I'm still getting input.

Jaimevasr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How did water fill the engine bay?
So I'm new to everything yamaha boats. I was researching and waiting for the right used one to pop up on the market. I don't know if the water intrusion is common to all similar styles or if isolated to my boat only.

My take is that water comes back onto the boat when moving fast then stoping abruptly. The wave goes over the swim platform into the maintenance ports. But again I don't know. I noticed that the heavier loaded the boat is the more the water comes in but over time.

I always keep my bilge pump and and does just fine but however I forgot to tell the renter to turn on the bilge and maintain the pump on.

I don't know if there is any takes on this. The shop didn't notice anything for the possible leak. It is a 2013 so seals might not be the best.

Jaimevasr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
These guys sell engines from salvaged jets on ebay and have a great seller rating:

Maybe a member from NC knows something about them?
Thank you. I could give them a call to get good info.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I'm new to everything yamaha boats. I was researching and waiting for the right used one to pop up on the market. I don't know if the water intrusion is common to all similar styles or if isolated to my boat only.

My take is that water comes back onto the boat when moving fast then stoping abruptly. The wave goes over the swim platform into the maintenance ports. But again I don't know. I noticed that the heavier loaded the boat is the more the water comes in but over time.

I always keep my bilge pump and and does just fine but however I forgot to tell the renter to turn on the bilge and maintain the pump on.

I don't know if there is any takes on this. The shop didn't notice anything for the possible leak. It is a 2013 so seals might not be the best.
This is why I wired a second pump directly to the battery. No switches involved.
Check out this thread on water getting in the bilge and how to fix it.

Jaimevasr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On my yamaha 2013 ar190 is was a switch found on the cluster next to the blower. If the switch is off the bilge will not come on. However if the switch is on the pump will turn off and on automatically.

At the time the renter was using my boat the switch was not on. After the incident I had him turn it on and it immediately started to remove the water.

Jaimevasr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
OP have a question, what platform do you use to rent out your boat? I bought my '21 195S specifically to rent out and the peer to peer insurance policy would have covered this. If during the safety briefing you covered operational instructions and the renter didn't adhere, this would fall on them.
I rented the boat our on the getmyboat platform. I will look into it and ask them.

As far as for the safely instructions. They were running a little late so i only did a brief overview and I don't think I specifically mentioned the bilge pump switch. Unfortunately I don't remember word for word. I know that at the end I confirmed he was familiar with the style of boat.

I figured I was at a loss because I didn't have something formal to go off.